You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
legozer

Pan EU DDs are OP

59 comments in this topic

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,431 battles

So far, my first impressions of the new EU DD line is that, starting from T7 Skane through to TX, they are various shades of OP. They have too much concealment to have such fast torpedoes, and the RoF is absolutely silly.  The excellent AA makes sense, as they lack smoke cover to hide from CV trolling, but overall, they are far too powerful in randoms. Concealment combined with the absolutely ridiculous weapons systems makes them very difficult to hunt down in any ship, nevermind another DD. I hope WG is considering some serious nerfs in the near future. 

Am I wrong?

• Funny 8
  • Boring 8

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
11,544 battles

They do seem very hard to kill. A bit like the Italian cruisers, IMO. Not super scary, but pretty annoying.

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,431 battles

inSkane. The T7 is strong enough to be at T8.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
26,113 posts
29,100 battles
53 minutes ago, legozer said:

So far, my first impressions of the new EU DD line is that, starting from T7 Skane through to TX, they are various shades of OP. They have too much concealment to have such fast torpedoes, and the RoF is absolutely silly.  The excellent AA makes sense, as they lack smoke cover to hide from CV trolling, but overall, they are far too powerful in randoms. Concealment combined with the absolutely ridiculous weapons systems makes them very difficult to hunt down in any ship, nevermind another DD. I hope WG is considering some serious nerfs in the near future. 

Am I wrong?

Are you wrong?  Yes.  Very.

While their guns' RoF is very good, the high tier DDs have only 2 turrets, which limits their overall DPM.  Also, because their gun reload is so low, BFT is of limited value for gun reload because IMO, it's hard to get the full value out of something like a 0.2 second reload buff.  That's not to say that BFT isn't worth taking, but its value is probably greater for the AA buff than the main gun reload buff.

Also, nerfing their concealment would turn them from being pretty decent hybrids into only being iffy torp boats with bad concealment.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[NFJF]
Beta Testers
211 posts
9,694 battles

They tried them with bad detection range and radar and they where a hot mess. Truth be told they are slow and will be easy meat for fast ships. 

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
4,298 posts
7,238 battles
7 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Are you wrong?  Yes.  Very.

While their guns' RoF is very good, the high tier DDs have only 2 turrets, which limits their overall DPM.  Also, because their gun reload is so low, BFT is of limited value for gun reload because IMO, it's hard to get the full value out of something like a 0.2 second reload buff.  That's not to say that BFT isn't worth taking, but its value is probably greater for the AA buff than the main gun reload buff.

Also, nerfing their concealment would turn them from being pretty decent hybrids into only being iffy torp boats with bad concealment.

Skane's 127k is limited for T7(though not that limited, only Mahan is really better), but 163k on Oland and 177k on Ostergotland are both really high regardless of 4 guns. I think it's only IJN gunship line that has higher DPM at tier. They do have lower HP but at the same time they have 14% heals so even in the context of a single engagement they're actually fairly durable.

T7 plus are all good ships from my impression so far, T5/T6 are bad/mediocre but the armament package and repair make up for the lack of smoke.

Beta Testers
1,669 posts
8,903 battles
16 minutes ago, whyme69 said:

They tried them with bad detection range and radar and they where a hot mess. Truth be told they are slow and will be easy meat for fast ships. 

No, they really aren't. lol

[CVA16]
Members
6,162 posts
19,015 battles
12 minutes ago, Aetreus said:

and repair make up for the lack of smoke.

Not sure it does on those boats. They are low HP and not particularly stealthy. Very tough to disengage so the will be taking a lot of extra damage which their meager heals won't restore. Don't have the T7-10 yet.

[PVE]
Members
13,406 posts
28,092 battles
1 hour ago, legozer said:

Am I wrong?

Yes

• Cool 6
  • Meh 1

[JRGC-]
[JRGC-]
Beta Testers
63 posts
6,567 battles

The supposed AA is good for crap...planes come right thru and waste you..CV's are a bigger op 

pain in the butt.. ...could not even manage to shoot down 1 plane before they [edited] me...not impressed with them

Edited by FUKUYU
  • Cool 1

Members
2,376 posts
52 battles
9 minutes ago, FUKUYU said:

The supposed AA is good for crap...planes come right thru and waste you..CV's are a bigger op

PEU DDs do not get "good" AA until T9+. The rest of the line has extremely poor AA like pretty much every other DD.

And even T9+ PEU DD AA is overrated assuming the enemy CV has half a brain.

• Cool 1

[JRGC-]
[JRGC-]
Beta Testers
63 posts
6,567 battles
7 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

PEU DDs do not get "good" AA until T9+. The rest of the line has extremely poor AA like pretty much every other DD.

And even T9+ PEU DD AA is overrated assuming the enemy CV has half a brain.

Well 50 plus AA with captain boost should have shot SOMETHING down...just saying. So yet again the cv's get to [edited] dd's until T9 then..interesting...Edit( I was in a T7) Look at the AA factor unboosted.

Edited by FUKUYU

[WOLFC]
Members
2,338 posts
39 minutes ago, FUKUYU said:

The supposed AA is good for crap...planes come right thru and waste you..

No

[JRGC-]
[JRGC-]
Beta Testers
63 posts
6,567 battles
1 hour ago, Anonymous50 said:

No

Then explain how that happened please....he made MULTIPLE passes, and not 1 plane shot down...seem a lil odd?

[JRGC-]
[JRGC-]
Beta Testers
63 posts
6,567 battles
3 hours ago, legozer said:

Am I wrong?

yes...they dont have smoke, I run t-5-6-7

[MIA-I]
Members
118 posts
11 battles

Am I wrong?

I beg your pardon? EU DDs OP? The title might be fast, but the alpha is very low. Their concealment is typical for DDs. The guns do have an insane reload but coupled with low alpha, floaty shells and meh range they aren't very effective. They aren't OP in any way. Makes sense when you think about it. 

• Cool 1

[USN]
Members
1,511 posts
20,402 battles

Am I wrong?

very yes

Skane and oland are the only ones, tier for tier, with good gunpower, and even Skane struggles against Haida and B-hull Mahan. Ostergotland and Halland have the misfortune of seeing gunboats like kitakaze, Daring, haragumo, and Marceau taking the DD DPM race, and even the EU Premiums, Friesland and Smaland, out gun their tech tree counterparts.

the torps are long range and fast, but only hit for as high as 11k a pop, anything with a torp belt higher than 30% will barely notice.

No smoke and slow speed, so very unforgiving.

Finally, they tend to have a very low base health pool (I think at T5, 7, and 8 they are the lowest health of any DDs, and 6,9 and 10 are near the bottom.

However, they can be very, very strong in the hands of a great DD player, but new DD players will likely struggle with them.

[IXM]
Members
1,060 posts

If you think these things are OP you might be a new DD player, either way they have many weaknesses which make them far from OP.  It's a much less weak line than the previous 2 (pizza botes and tea botes) but they're probably fairly balanced.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,431 battles
15 minutes ago, Vector03 said:

you might be a new DD player

lol. Get bent.

• Boring 3

Members
1,080 posts
5,774 battles
1 hour ago, tfcas119 said:

very yes

Skane and oland are the only ones, tier for tier, with good gunpower, and even Skane struggles against Haida and B-hull Mahan. Ostergotland and Halland have the misfortune of seeing gunboats like kitakaze, Daring, haragumo, and Marceau taking the DD DPM race, and even the EU Premiums, Friesland and Smaland, out gun their tech tree counterparts.

the torps are long range and fast, but only hit for as high as 11k a pop, anything with a torp belt higher than 30% will barely notice. 

No smoke and slow speed, so very unforgiving.

Finally, they tend to have a very low base health pool (I think at T5, 7, and 8 they are the lowest health of any DDs, and 6,9 and 10 are near the bottom.

However, they can be very, very strong in the hands of a great DD player, but new DD players will likely struggle with them.

I was playing shimakaze the other day and trailing halland, the thing about the torps, like you said, they are fast, have very good concealment, have amazing gap width, and reload faster. Combined all those make them outperform shimakaze in 8+ ranges. Those torps might be weak, but you can consistently land 3-4 per ship and at higher rate.

While shima islucky to land 1 at distance with that ridiculous gap. Because any ship has enough reaction time to at least angle somewhat.

Edited by Vaitmana

[MGL]
Members
475 posts
3,641 battles

And there it is, just think about this next time you post on an anti-CV thread. Just as soon as CVs are nerfed into the ground, the people will always come back to enemy number 1.... the DD.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[--K--]
[--K--]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,639 posts

Definitely not OP.  T6 is really just a T5.5 where it barely is an improvement over Visby one tier lower, with Skane's 6.2 concealment, poor gun characteristics and firing angles means it is definitely at a disadvantage against same tier DDs in direct fights.  

the torps have by design have much lower impact overall but reload fast, therefore they are even more susceptible to being of little use in games where the crap teams of corona die horribly in the first 6-8 minutes of a game.  You need time to start having those torps really count, outside of landing every torpedo in a spread because you hit a potato.

[--O--]
Members
994 posts

Are you wrong YES.

Yes they have fast torpedoes, BUTthey have extremely low alpha damage, i just had 8 strike a Kurf and Smol and shima for 43k in damage, "hug that island trio" had 8 from my shima hit them at least the shima and smol would have been deleted, unfortunately I was in my Holland so it only scared them real bad.

Yes they have fast guns, BUT there is only 2 with 4 barrels and they are floaters and no smoke to disengage when the big evil ships decide to blap you.

They are also easily out detected by all but a few dd's which again turns you in to swiss cheese.

Now yes CV's dont want to go near them which is a plus, but I have found once they spot them a dd or ca if they are half decent come hunting you and you are not that fast.

In general for me the t9 and 10 are fun boats, but you better know how to dd and have one eye on your mini-map all game.

• Cool 1

[O7]
Members
1,035 posts
5,555 battles

Concealment trap

When you (as a typical DD) and the EU DD spot each other, you can start firing on him.

Now he have 2 options, to either disengage and take damage for free

Or to shoot back, then you can smoke up and enjoy an additional 20 second of free fire

Either way he loses the trade.