Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DefundedUser_1036628598

Getting heroic achievements in a hurry

16 comments in this topic

Banned
259 posts
5,950 battles

So I'm almost ready to walk away because of the carriers in clan battles and the no more captain resets because there are now carriers in clan battles thing.

But I want my Pig Flag.

So I prayed to the RNGsus because I have a hard time getting heroic achievements. And lo, He spake thusly:

• Maybe play battleships and go for High Caliber. That is the easiest one, just shoot four ships.
  • If you have a Conquerer, Witherer is also super easy and a Dreadnought is always on the cards in that ship, as long as you don't push too hard and die.
  • Any ship with a super heal can also always go for the Dreadnought achievement but it is "sketchy."

The first point also seemed to be borne out by my personal achievements collections on both the EU server account; that is the one I got the most, despite a fair number of Nelson battles back in the day.

However.

Starting into this venture, on both the NA and EU servers, things are a bit more complicated.

There is the first part, of playing BBs. I find myself very dependent on the support ships, chiefly the DDs, and most of them play very very poorly these days. There is no other way of saying it, and we all know why that is (the CV rework and the general, constant dumbing down of the game to attract more players.) There is a reason I mostly play DDs and it's not because I'm especially good at it. It's pure self-defense.

And also there is the rest of the High Caliber requirement, of deleting at least 30% of the combined enemy team's hit points. According to my calculations, that comes to roundabout 150K damage in a mixed Tier 6-8 battle and maybe 220K when the spread is Tier 8-10. The more capital ships and the higher their tier, the harder it gets, and in carrier battles it is harder still because the CV's hitpoints are usually out of reach. And that is a lot of damage for me. I rarely do that. I tend to do the most damage in BBs, at least in my older EU server account with many more battles and ships. On the NA server, the reroll collection is a bit more eclectic.

So far I basically alternated between Conq and Kremlin on the EU server and netted two Dreadnoughts in about a dozen battles. On the NA server, it's been mostly Warspite, KGV and Lyon and besides two Dreadnoughts, it got me a Confederate in the KGV and a High Caliber in the Lyon, in a battle with fail divisions but also carriers, and taking damage from the same ships that I shot at. People you shoot, tend to shoot back, so it seems to be expected for these achievements to go hand in hand in many cases.

On the other hand, it doesn't seem to matter if your heal is especially super, as long as you have a heal at all and manage not to die despite getting shot by four opponents over the course of the battle. The last one I got before starting on this mission stage was in the Donskoi (and the last High Caliber in Smolensk, a ship I suck something awful at.)

What do you think?

Edited by FixCVs
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
11,550 battles

Just get a Krem. These ships are so OP, apparently, that all the good things will come to you as soon as you get in one.

You will get Kraken after Kraken, plus all the other rewards the game has to offer. High caliber and confederate in every game, with a Krem. You can't miss, even at 24km away.

Always sail Russian ships to win all the prizes, because Russian bias is real.

• Funny 1

Banned
259 posts
5,950 battles

Yeah no.

For one, there is no way to get a Kremlin by the deadline this mission runs out, other than blowing hundreds of monies on Free XP conversion #lol and of course that's quite out. Also my results have been very much better with the Tier VI and VII ships on the NA server than the Tier X ones on the EU server so far.

And for another thing, I do have a Kremlin in my EU account, and the boat is truly spectacularly dumb and broken OP indeed, especially with Kuznetsov,. but that still doesn't mean the awards come automatically.

Little OT anecdote, today when looking a bit closer at the way the broke the signal flags this patch, I seemed to notice the Kremlin was the only ship that could put on seven special signals when all the others only could mount six. Turns out I was wrong (there was only one single Ouroboros left and that happened to be mounted on the Kremlin) but the point is I didn't put this past Wargaming even for a fraction of a millisecond. I was merely wondering how they'd rationalized it. Called up the patch notes first thing to look it up before considering any other explanations.

[QC_1_]
Beta Testers
183 posts
7,984 battles

Tier 9 ships, healing flag, superintendent, just aim for dreadnought....

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,763 posts

If you want achievements, Nelson is the answer.

Also, what mission are we talking about?

[STW-N]
Beta Testers
196 posts
25,209 battles

Nelson , take damage,  print new Nelson,  don't die. 

But yeah that last part is a bit over the top for a flag. 

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,763 posts
37 minutes ago, FixCVs said:

It's a Twitch mission called "Dreaming of Pigs".

Ah ok thanks.

Anyway, go forth and Nelson, it will lead you to victory.

[BOMBL]
Members
1,220 posts
15,737 battles

Monty with UU. Pretty hard to kill unless you give up your broadsides. It prints dreadnought easier then Nelson or Conq

[ARGSY]
Members
23,385 posts
17,319 battles

OP, you are allowing your obsession with a piece of cloth to destroy you.

GIve it up. It's really not that important.

If you're willing to tie yourself in knots over something as trivial as that, maybe you need to step back and get some help.

• Boring 3

Banned
259 posts
5,950 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

OP, you are allowing your obsession with a piece of cloth to destroy you.

Sir! How dare you!

These pink colours don't grunt!

Our pig flag does not fly because the wind moves it but with the last breath of every porker who died to become bacon!

True pigtriotism springs from an unending belief in fine meat products!

Because pork is not a mere meat - it is an idea!

[1984]
Members
4,482 posts
21,506 battles
17 hours ago, FixCVs said:

So I'm almost ready to walk away because of the carriers in clan battles and the no more captain resets because there are now carriers in clan battles thing.

But I want my Pig Flag.

So I prayed to the RNGsus because I have a hard time getting heroic achievements. And lo, He spake thusly:

• Maybe play battleships and go for High Caliber. That is the easiest one, just shoot four ships.
  • If you have a Conquerer, Witherer is also super easy and a Dreadnought is always on the cards in that ship, as long as you don't push too hard and die.
  • Any ship with a super heal can also always go for the Dreadnought achievement but it is "sketchy."

The first point also seemed to be borne out by my personal achievements collections on both the EU server account; that is the one I got the most, despite a fair number of Nelson battles back in the day.

However.

Starting into this venture, on both the NA and EU servers, things are a bit more complicated.

There is the first part, of playing BBs. I find myself very dependent on the support ships, chiefly the DDs, and most of them play very very poorly these days. There is no other way of saying it, and we all know why that is (the CV rework and the general, constant dumbing down of the game to attract more players.) There is a reason I mostly play DDs and it's not because I'm especially good at it. It's pure self-defense.

And also there is the rest of the High Caliber requirement, of deleting at least 30% of the combined enemy team's hit points. According to my calculations, that comes to roundabout 150K damage in a mixed Tier 6-8 battle and maybe 220K when the spread is Tier 8-10. The more capital ships and the higher their tier, the harder it gets, and in carrier battles it is harder still because the CV's hitpoints are usually out of reach. And that is a lot of damage for me. I rarely do that. I tend to do the most damage in BBs, at least in my older EU server account with many more battles and ships. On the NA server, the reroll collection is a bit more eclectic.

So far I basically alternated between Conq and Kremlin on the EU server and netted two Dreadnoughts in about a dozen battles. On the NA server, it's been mostly Warspite, KGV and Lyon and besides two Dreadnoughts, it got me a Confederate in the KGV and a High Caliber in the Lyon, in a battle with fail divisions but also carriers, and taking damage from the same ships that I shot at. People you shoot, tend to shoot back, so it seems to be expected for these achievements to go hand in hand in many cases.

On the other hand, it doesn't seem to matter if your heal is especially super, as long as you have a heal at all and manage not to die despite getting shot by four opponents over the course of the battle. The last one I got before starting on this mission stage was in the Donskoi (and the last High Caliber in Smolensk, a ship I suck something awful at.)

What do you think?

shot-20_03.24_10_28.26-0860.thumb.jpg.610781f80374a093423144fac7c86600.jpgget yours in a dd then :cap_horn:

Banned
259 posts
5,950 battles

The gripe with this sort of requirement is that it sets another objective that can very easily become players' new main objective instead of winning the game. (Which Naval Battle can do, too, of course.)

Don't need to win to get a Dreadnought but you do need to survive. Most of the other ones are damage- or kill-centered but also don't require a win, except Solo Warrior, but that one is the least achieveable goal anyway.

It's too bad First Blood is not a heroic achievement or you could just use any of the sneakier high tier DDs and go blap bad Smolensk players sitting in smoke. Be done in one Saturday morning.

Edited by FixCVs

[WOLF3]
Members
142 posts
14,575 battles

Does the Twitch mission status (Dreaming of Pigs) not show on the Personal Score screen after you get the heroic achievements?  I'm pretty sure they counted towards the mission and I see in the screenshot above that it didn't show up there either.  I don't play BB often so I am hoping to get lucky in a DD like below.

image.thumb.png.ce86e912203f81cf54e0c5d40d7c4ae8.png

Banned
259 posts
5,950 battles

Yeah the Twitch missions and similar things never show up on the scoreboard, it's been reported and requested and feedbacked for some time by a number of players but apparently too much of a bother to fix.

On the OT, I have a Hood in my posession on the EU server and that thing makes Dreadnoughting really easy. For one, it feels like it catches not as many citadels as Nelson, and for another, the blistering speed means you can just run away once you're on the last heal, and with any luck, they will just not catch you. Not even in carrier matches because it has fairly good AA, and you can just draw any pursuers past your camping carrier. They will never pass up that distraction, and by the time they've kicked him to death, the game is over. Got too few guns for my taste but hey, it's about achieving, not winning.

You don't need to outrun the bear that is after you - just one other tasty hiker.

Talking about fast BBs that are hard to citadel, this should of course work just as well with higher tier French BBs. Haven't tried Richelieu which I recall to be a bit squishy, but Alsace is working out quite nicely, as long as you avoid finding yourself among the remains of a loser noob team and being chased by a semi-competent Georgia. Also because there is the added complication of having to time the engine boost, whereas Hood has a very high, 32-kt  base speed that is available all of the time.

Doing the numbers just for the heck of it:

KGV - 60,500 hit points => x1.2 = need to take 72,600 damage

A heal does at most 363 hp/s x 28s = 10,164 hp per heal

=> so after four full heals you need to be down to about half health or less to have taken sufficient damage for the Dreadnought achievement.

Jutland - 18400 hp => x1.2 = 22080 damage

heal is 215 hp/s x 10s = 2150 hp

All in all, this turned into a nice exercise that taught me a lot. Now to divise an exercise that maybe teaches to just do more damage...

Edited by FixCVs
  • Cool 1

Members
575 posts
5,040 battles
19 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If you're willing to tie yourself in knots over something as trivial as that, maybe you need to step back and get some help.

How many we talking about here? 20 like US Battleships? 40 like French destroyers?

Sign in to follow this