You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Formous

If a ship has powerful AA, it should be giving something up.

83 comments in this topic

[XXX]
Members
595 posts
1,603 battles

Encountered Halland today. and geez..Does it have to outdo a Mino? Audacious planes, all the survivability perks, and my highest hp squadron is obliterated before even crossing 2 kilos.  This is [edited].  There is no reason to be flooding ever higher levels of AA into the game with no downsides. Is this what is to be expected with Subs? More Power creep?  What is a sub going to be firing mino level AA soon as well? Frankly the Halland feels EVEN stronger then a mino.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 5
  • Boring 19

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,824 posts
4,285 battles

Hmm, let's see, no smoke, high concealment, interesting torps, short speed boost. Yeah, no downsides:fish_palm:

Also, it's pretty much the only high tier ship with good AA, even supposedly good AA ships like Des Moines and Wooster are meh these days. So don't expect a whole lot of sympathy for flying your planes straight into flak bursts.

• Cool 7

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,108 posts
11,788 battles
24 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Hmm, let's see, no smoke, high concealment, interesting torps, short speed boost. Yeah, no downsides:fish_palm:

Also, it's pretty much the only high tier ship with good AA, even supposedly good AA ships like Des Moines and Wooster are meh these days. So don't expect a whole lot of sympathy for flying your planes straight into flak bursts.

Would tend to agree with this last part. Unless hitting flak it seems unlikely an entire audacious squad evaporates that quickly. It’s likely the halland pop def aa and flak bursts were ran into 

• Cool 1

[KIA-A]
Members
263 posts
7,904 battles

carrier players: tries to nail the destroyer with a rocket strike
destroyer: actually defends itself
carrier players: nO dOWnsIDeS

• Cool 9
  • Funny 1

[XXX]
Members
595 posts
1,603 battles
4 minutes ago, general_D_H_Chun said:

carrier players: tries to nail the destroyer with a rocket strike
destroyer: actually defends itself
carrier players: nO dOWnsIDeS

What makes you think he was my target. he just appears because ya know, DD bend the laws of reality to exist, off to the side, and as I swing to attack, Im down 7 planes of a AUDACIOUS. That CV is supposed to have planes that survive.  

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 3

[XXX]
Members
595 posts
1,603 battles
17 minutes ago, ditka_Fatdog said:

Would tend to agree with this last part. Unless hitting flak it seems unlikely an entire audacious squad evaporates that quickly. It’s likely the halland pop def aa and flak bursts were ran into 

I didn't hit flak bursts.  I was aiming to raid a des moine who was by his lonesome when he appeared off to my right as I flew into his minimum detection bubble. He shouldn't even have flak clouds at 2km.  It's how I got the measurement. I hadn't even passed by him when the whole squadron was gone.

• Boring 2

[-DF-]
Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,607 battles

I'd imagine that a good chunk of the "value" WG is getting out of CVs is giving new lines powerful AA to entice players to grind them and spend money.  They can super power creep the AA and not have to increase the already absurd level of DPM floating around the surface game as much and still get people interested in the new lines.

Get used to being the new punching bag.  

[WOLFH]
Members
1,240 posts
1 hour ago, Formous said:

Encountered Halland today. and geez..Does it have to outdo a Mino? Audacious planes, all the survivability perks, and my highest hp squadron is obliterated before even crossing 2 kilos.  This is [edited].  There is no reason to be flooding ever higher levels of AA into the game with no downsides. Is this what is to be expected with Subs? More Power creep?  What is a sub going to be firing mino level AA soon as well? Frankly the Halland feels EVEN stronger then a mino.

It might be beneficial to back down from Tier X for a while and practice avoiding AA traps.

[NMKJT]
Members
3,058 posts
8,287 battles

It has downsides, as @AJTP89 mentioned. They're just not ones that matter to a CV. Kinda like how some strong surface ships (Kron, Atago, etc) get wrecked by a CV while being strong elsewhere.

That's life.

[GT3]
Members
174 posts
7,402 battles

Sorry that 1 dd out of a hundred was able to shoot down a plane.. All my dd are jealous now... As they hide in port awaiting some aa balance.

• Cool 2

[NUWES]
Members
3,381 posts
12,252 battles
13 minutes ago, Formous said:

I didn't hit flak bursts.  I was aiming to raid a des moine who was by his lonesome when he appeared off to my right as I flew into his minimum detection bubble. He shouldn't even have flak clouds at 2km.  It's how I got the measurement. I hadn't even passed by him when the whole squadron was gone.

Without a replay there is no way to tell what happened for sure, but something is missing from what you described. You probably just didn't see it. Halland isn't capable of doing what you described, alone and that fast (over a mere 2km) and with no flak. You may have been in range of someone else that you didn't see. It's powerful, but not that powerful. 

Edited by Tzarevitch

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

If you are having troubles against AA, the problem is you and not ship. Curretnt AA is useless, its only good agaist bad CV players that run and eat the flak. Good CV players go through AA like some useless fireworks. 

Back to Halland, it does give up smoke to get a DFAA. Also, Halland AA is better than average DD but its nothing special. 

[Y0L0]
Members
277 posts
23,429 battles

In a DD I have to avoid dozens of different radar ships that can spot me through islands and cv planes which permaspot and relentlessly attack me with a negligible ability to defend myself and you are complaining that there is ONE DD now that you have to avoid?  Seriously?

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

[PISD]
Members
1,843 posts
6,095 battles

AA is fair on it. The real issue is that it power creep even more Shimakaze.

• Cool 1

[SGSS]
Members
5,747 posts

Ships dont give up anything these days.  Every new ship gets amazing armor guns aa and torps.

Russian ships also get pwrfixt sheels and shell velocity as well.

Power cheap is well underway.

Add Freisland to the, that's to strong category.

[SGSS]
Members
5,747 posts
14 minutes ago, Xlap said:

If you are having troubles against AA, the problem is you and not ship. Curretnt AA is useless, its only good agaist bad CV players that run and eat the flak. Good CV players go through AA like some useless fireworks. 

Back to Halland, it does give up smoke to get a DFAA. Also, Halland AA is better than average DD but its nothing special. 

You clearly have never played a cv.

Of course you will say its so easy and you never get hit with flak because your perfict.

For everyone actual human mino, Friesland, and every Russian BB and the new ships have way to much aa.

• Boring 1

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,817 posts
2,663 battles
7 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

Of course you will say its so easy and you never get hit with flak because your perfict.

For everyone actual human mino, Friesland, and every Russian BB and the new ships have way to much aa.

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles
6 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

You might want to read my post again, at any point i said that CVs are easy or hard to play. 

6 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

Well, i dont have Friesland or Russian BBs, but i finished my Minotaur grind this week, first battle and i got wrecked by a CV. From my experience, Mino is far from being a no fly zone, i fear CVs more than anything else in my RN cruisers. 

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,817 posts
2,663 battles
2 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

Wow what a not burn.  Can you be abit more clever?

No.  You aren't worthy of my best efforts.

• Cool 1

[SGSS]
Members
5,747 posts
1 minute ago, Xlap said:

You might want to read my post again, at any point i said that CVs are easy or hard to play. 

Well, i dont have Friesland or Russian BBs, but i finished my Minotaur grind this week, first battle and i got wrecked by a CV. From my experience, Mino is far from being a no fly zone, i fear CVs more than anything else in my RN cruisers. 

If its t8 planes they get lucky if they get 1 shot. I have never played the Hal so not sure about that one.

If the CV is willing to take 4 sq and lose them all in an attack run they will get one shot off but will take 10 min to get thoughs planes back.

Early game I dont care if I lose the while sq becausw I will get them back later but mid game you cant wast planes like that.

[SGSS]
Members
5,747 posts
2 minutes ago, CaptainKaitoGhost said:

No.  You aren't worthy of my best efforts.

Guess that was the best you got. O well have fun.

Beta Testers
1,669 posts
8,903 battles
2 hours ago, Formous said:

Awww man you can't rocket/bomb with impunity?!?!?

The nerve!!!

Waaahhh waaahhh waaaahhhh

• Cool 1