You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
General_WTSherman

Ohio vs Georgia

12 comments in this topic

[TF-60]
Members
457 posts
16,417 battles

I currently have resources for either/both of these ships.  I have some questions regarding the decision:

1) does owning one make the other redundant ?  If so, which should I acquire?

2) what new ships will likely go to the research bureau?

thanks in advance for the advice and opinions

[WOLFG]
Members
32,288 posts
9,989 battles

No idea what ships will go into the research bureau in future, they're all made up ships.

[LOIN]
Supertester
851 posts
14 minutes ago, General_WTSherman said:

I currently have resources for either/both of these ships.  I have some questions regarding the decision:

It depends on what you prefer. Georgia has a very fast speed. 39.7 knot top speed, (almost 40 knots) 

Whereas the Ohio is basically a Montana, with 18 inch guns. It has better armor than Georgia and has an extra main gun turret. However, Ohio speed is on the slower end for tier 10s.

So, Georgia is the speed demon but sacrifices armor. Ohio has stronger armor and additional main gun. At the price of speed and 1 higher tier.

Edited by Starfleet1701

Beta Testers
1,045 posts
4,704 battles

I do not own either, but to an outsider, the Ohio is literally the T10 to Georgia the way the Montana is to the Iowa. Big 'accurate' guns, good secondaries. And I would get both if I had the resources. 457s overmatch pretty much all the cruisers, and I love me some secondaries.

[WORX]
Members
12,638 posts
19,907 battles

IMO yes, if you get one then the other is redundant... Mainly because both are high tier BBs, high tier BBs are over capable compared to any other BBs of tiers 3-7...

High tier BBs enjoy immunity from 127MM guns.

If you ask me, pick one and roll with it... In the grand scheme of things I just noted^^^, the differences between the two are minuscule.

2) I dont mess with the research bureau.

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
23 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

No idea what ships will go into the research bureau in future, they're all made up ships.

No, not "made up" completely.  Some are based of of actual design studies by the USN for the Montana-class battleships:

Capture.thumb.JPG.6fd3b4ad3b0d1672df823b4fd5d541a5.JPG

[RTXN]
Banned
1,416 posts
30 minutes ago, General_WTSherman said:

1.)  IMO - No.  I am currently working towards Ohio and have Georgia. 

Georgia brings a unique aspect to gameplay - speed boost, while Ohio can be either a full on brawler or sniper at range (not a good as Thunderer or perhaps Yamato, but decent).

The real question is Tier IX vs X.  Ohio gives another option of Clan Battles - if you play.

2.)  Unknown - other than unique upgrades for Tier X ships.

[P2W]
Members
611 posts
7,657 battles

Ohio's accuracy is not the same as Georgia, if it were then the ship would be worth having.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,824 posts
4,285 battles
57 minutes ago, BattlecruiserOperational said:

I do not own either, but to an outsider, the Ohio is literally the T10 to Georgia the way the Montana is to the Iowa. Big 'accurate' guns, good secondaries. And I would get both if I had the resources. 457s overmatch pretty much all the cruisers, and I love me some secondaries.

Monty loses 3 knots to get an extra turret and more armor. Ohio loses 10 knots for the same thing. So not really the same thing. GA plays like a battlecruiser, find a flank and blast through it, chase down and kill cruisers, a lot of fun if you get room to stretch out. Ohio is essentially an 18in gun Montana and plays very similar. GA does not play like IA, it plays like Alaska on steroids.

Now they are kind of redundant. But I'd say GA is the more unique ship, and probably a lot more fun. Ohio looks good, but I don't think most of the time a whole lot changes from the usual Monty gameplay. If you like USN BBs, get both. If you only want one, get GA as it's definitely different. It has hilarious secondaries, and great heal, 18in guns and does 40knts. What more could you want?

[SGSS]
Members
5,747 posts

Reading the RB notes Ohio should make more money than the Georgia.

RFD might go to RB if your into CV.

Your doing the RB any idea when it actually resets?

Edited by jags_domain

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,380 posts
10,228 battles
5 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

Reading the RB notes Ohio should make more money than the Georgia.

Ohio doesn't make more credits than Georgia since every tier 10 special ships do not get built in credit modifiers compared to every premium ships under tier 10.

So Georgia will make more credits than Ohio.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,853 posts
25,782 battles
1 hour ago, General_WTSherman said:

They may be armed with 457mm guns but they play quite differently.

Ohio has 8 of the 457mm guns vs the 6 of Georgia.

She even has a better Secondary Battery than Georgia.  They shoot faster and also have almost twice the fire chance.

But Georgia still has some very key advantages Ohio doesn't have.

1.  Graf Spee dispersion because she has 6 rifles.

2.  While Ohio has a superior Secondary Battery, she doesn't have the speed to really push that advantage onto people.  Not with 27kts (Montana is 30kts).  Georgia is an Iowa-class hull, 33kts base speed is very fast.  WG added Engine Boost Meme capability to make it even better.  Simply put, if the opportunity is there for a brawl, Georgia has the speed to impose herself onto an unwilling opponent and make her Secondaries come into play, while every High Tier BB can at least keep pace to kite Ohio, or have the speed to easily pull away.

3.  Georgia is a Tier IX.  While she should expect to see Tier X frequently, by virtue of being a Tier IX ship, MM will throw her the bone sometimes and get to be top tier against Tier VII ships.  Georgia, Musashi from Tier IX facing Tier VII ships is some of the funniest sh*t in the game.  Ohio, though a powerful Tier X ship, will face nothing but High Tier, the most powerful ships in the game.  Ohio is never going to have it easy, while Georgia will get those chances.  Ohio even within the scope of Tier X BBs only, faces very stiff competition because every Tier X BB is nasty to deal with.

Ohio no longer has crazy reload and excellent dispersion she had when in earlier WiP stages.  Late during testing, WG swapped the gunnery between Ohio and Thunderer who were both WiP ships at the time.

Speed is the great separator between Georgia and Ohio, the most critical difference, IMO.  Georgia can use that crazy speed (don't forget Engine Boost) to push aggressively or run from a failed situation to save the ship and live to fight again later on.  She can use that speed to flex across the map.  Ohio with 457mm x8 is the more powerful in terms of raw firepower but 27kts hold her back, but Georgia, IMO, is the more flexible of the two because of what she can do with SPEED.

Personally, I have more respect for Georgia because of the variety of things she can do with her speed, especially in the hands of a savvy owner.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2