You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Random Thoughts from Deep R'lyeh: The Strong-Willed Campaign (April-October 2020) for Euro Commander Jerzy Swirski (CAMPAIGN NOW EXPIRED)

35 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
23,419 posts
17,347 battles

This is a strategy guide to the completion of the “Strong-Willed” campaign, a six-month campaign for Tier 8+ ships that rewards the 14 point Polish (Pan-European) commander Jerzy Swirski that began on Wednesday April 8 2020 and I would expect to conclude on or near the first Wednesday of October. The campaign has an in-game timer which may be viewed for more precise estimates of the end date. The missions unlock sequentially one week apart, and then all remain open.

The campaign is in the format of the permanent campaigns for Tier 8 ships, and the usual rules apply. All ships must be at least Tier 8, and missions can be repeated to earn the requisite number of stars for mission stages. However, this is a directed campaign with some tasks requiring specific ship types (DD, Cruiser, BB), and in addition Tier 9-plus ships are required for some tasks.

For this reason, I must warn newer players who are just on their first T8 ship that they are in for a very tough time. The ultimate goal, Jerzy Swirski, will one day be available for coal in the armory if you fail, so there is that. Because this is NOT a permanent campaign, I would urge you to suspend work on any of the other campaigns you might be running (finishing any tasks left undone and cancelling those barely started), and finish this one first.

I’m not going to discuss the individual stage prizes here, as you can look those up for yourselves in-game and the focus here is on event completion. So let us begin. All missions are Tier 8-plus and Randoms only unless otherwise specified; all final tasks are “all modes”. Select up to 2 with a standard account (3 premium).

“All modes” means Randoms, co-op, clan or ranked battles.

“European ships” only includes those ships designated in-game as “Pan-European”; it does NOT include the specific individual nations of Italy, Germany, etc.

With six months to complete the campaign and four weeks per patch, my goal is to try to finish one mission per patch and have the sixth month in reserve in case things go more slowly than expected. My overall strategy is to calculate how many XP or credits I need to earn per mission, select that task and repeat it over and over, using slower progress on other tasks to cut down the number of repetitions needed. If I have time left between the end of the mission and the start of the next patch/month, I will work on elevating ships to higher tiers as may be needed by subsequent missions.

ADDITIONAL NOTE: Before you consider spending money and/or FXP to acquire Smaland and/or Orkan as short-cuts to some of these missions, consider how badly you will want them and how much you will use them afterwards. If you want them for keeps, get them. If you are only lured on by the promise of how easy they will make missions 1 to 3 (because their major benefit ends at this point), PLEASE for the love of God reconsider.

MISSION ONE: Collect seven stars to unlock the final task.

Task 1: Earn 3.5 million credits with European ships Tier VIII+, all modes (Oland, Ostergotland, Halland, Smaland, Friesland.) 2 stars.

Task 2: Earn 35 Set Fire ribbons with Tier VIII-plus destroyers. One star.

Task 3: Score 50 citadel ribbons in Tier VIII-plus cruisers or battleships. Two stars.

Task 4: Earn 60,000 Commander XP (Co-op, randoms, ranked, clan battles): One star.

Task 5: Finish in the top 5 on your team 7 times. (Victory is not required.) One star.

Task 6: In one battle, do 160,000 damage and win the battle. Two stars.

Task 7: In one battle, in TIER NINE OR TEN, score 18 fire or citadel ribbons. Three stars.

FINAL TASK: Receive 15 million potential damage (All modes).

My strategy: 7 repeats of 60,000 commander XP is 420,000 commander XP. If you play to the third crate every night, you will accomplish this in 11.4 nights, i.e. sometime on the 12th night. Over 28 days of a full patch, it adds up to 15,000 Commander XP a night, which is an easy target even in co-op... but remember, you must allow some time for the final task. I am accelerating the mission by also repeating tasks 2 and 5, which will cut down the number of times I need to do task 4, because I’m grinding specific destroyers. Cruiser and BB aficionados will of course prefer task 3. Confident players with the appropriate ships might attempt tasks 6 or 7, but task 4 (and/or task 1 if you have the appropriate ships) should always be loaded in to ensure SOME progress in case of failure.

How it worked out in reality: I ended up having a lot of time over the Easter weekend, and to my surprise the task that ended up short-cutting the whole business for me was Task 5, placing top 5 in seven battles. I think I did that one three times, the destroyer fires mission once and the Commander XP mission four times. I never expected to finish Mission 1 with time to spare before Mission 2 even opened. That was a stunner. Needless to say, I played enough over the Easter weekend to be worth several weekday nights. If this had happened at any other time of the year, it might not have gone so quickly.

MISSION TWO: Collect 8 stars to unlock the final task.

Task 1: In Orkan or Smaland, earn 2.5 million credits (Random battles only). Two stars.

Task 2: In European ships, earn 60,000 flood damage IN BATTLES THAT YOU WIN. Two stars.

Task 3: With cruisers, all modes, earn 17,500 Free XP IN BATTLES THAT YOU WIN. Two stars.

Task 4: Sink 7 ships. One star.

Task 5: Earn 50,000 ship XP (All modes). One star.

Task 6: In Tier 9 or 10 ships, get 260 main gun hits, survive and finish top-three. Two stars.

Task 7: In Tier 9 or 10 ships, win the battle, top score, and kill 2 ships. Three stars.

FINAL TASK: Earn 2.5 million credits (Randoms, Co-op, Ranked, Clan battles).

General Notes: Take careful note of the victory condition for some of these tasks, and the fact that the bar is also creeping up to Tier 9 now. If you started this with one Tier 8 ship, the ship XP required to generate the Commander XP total in Mission One is highly likely to have got you to (or close to) Tier 9 anyway. Tasks 3 to 5 are, however, still available to Tier 8.

My strategy: Task 5 will be kept loaded constantly to ensure ongoing progress. This is a total of 400,000 ship XP, which can be achieved in less than two weeks if you play to the 3rd container every night (37K XP). More ambitious players will of course finish faster. Also constant in the rotation will be task 4, which should significantly trim down the number of repetitions of task 5 required. I will probably choose this patch for specific cruiser grinds I am working on and see how quickly I can work on Task 3. Remember that days ending in 4 and 9 each give two 1000 FXP bonuses in the daily chains that count as ship winnings and two 1000 ship XP bonuses in which FXP-boosted flags and camos could be mounted to increase your yield.

How it worked out in reality: Task 4 (sink seven ships) was the way to go for me. I think I got through the ship XP task twice. Maybe three times at most. The cruiser FXP task did not even come close to completion, and unless you are doing a hardcore Free XP grind for unrelated reasons (i.e. obtaining a Free XP ship that might or might not be the Smaland), I would not select it except to grab the minor prize it offers (a few FXP camos).

I should note that because of this experience and the size of my fleet, I have been finishing these tasks MUCH more quickly than I ever thought I would. If you are new to Tier 8+ your experience will of course be different, and this is why I have constructed this campaign guide as a slow-burn affair. (Very experienced and expert players coming to the campaign late or needing to take a break should be reassured that they can finish each of the first two missions in about a week.)

MISSION THREE: Earn nine stars to unlock the final task.

Task 1: With Orkan or Smaland, get 500 main gun hits in RANDOMS. Two stars.

Task 2: In European ships, earn 15,000 base XP in VICTORIOUS battles. (All modes.) Two stars.

Task 3: In destroyers, earn 15 captured or assist-capture ribbons. Two stars.

Task 4: In Tier 9 or 10 ships, earn any 2200 ribbons. One star.

Task 5: In Tier 9 or 10 ships, earn 6 million credits (all modes). Two stars.

Task 6: In Tier 9 or 10 ships, earn 2200 base XP in a single battle. Two stars.

Task 7: In Tier 9 or 10 ships, win, top score, and kill 3 ships. Three stars.

FINAL TASK: Earn 75,000 commander XP (all modes).

General Notes: Here is where the game becomes unfriendly for Tier 8 players. The only task you have open to you at T8 is the destroyer one. If your only T8 ship is something else, you’re stuck. If you’re reading this strategy guide at the start, you will be working on either acquiring at least one T9 ship in the process of the grind or making sure you have at least one DD to Tier 8 or better. Co-op players are out of luck unless they have reached Tier 9, have Pan-Euro ships, or both.

My Strategy: Nearly three years of play have brought me enough ships to have plenty of options at Tier 9 or better. I will be selecting Tasks 4 and 5, and I may well supplement these with Task 3 in the Black. I may also have the Tier 9 Jutland by this time. Task 5 requires 5 repetitions to unlock the final task, or 30 million credits. Note that this is BEFORE post-battle costs are deducted, so we get the best of both worlds here. I do not think it will be too difficult if spread across an entire patch, and if Tasks 3 and 4 reduce the number of repetitions required.

How it worked out in reality: I finished tasks 3, 4 and 5 in close proximity. Task 3 got completed a second time, and in the process I unlocked the and purchased the Jutland. As I type this, I have tasks 4 and 5 still incomplete and finishing task 5 will unlock the final task. I debated with myself whether to repeat Task 3 yet again and use it as a spur to some of my other T8 destroyer grinds, and if I had few or no T9/10 premiums I would be taking this route. However, the easier and more fun road for me for those last two stars is to spam Salem, Black, Georgia, Smolensk, Musashi and Thunderer in co-op over and over again to build up elite commander XP for the 19 point captain grind I'm trying to finish. This will be the first mission that I do NOT get done before the next one unlocks. 

MISSION FOUR: Earn 10 stars to unlock the final task.

Task 1: In European ships, shoot down 300 aircraft in randoms. Two stars.

Task 2: In cruisers, in all modes, earn 5.5 million credits in WINNING battles. Two stars.

Task 3: With battleships or destroyers in Randoms, detect 200 torpedoes. Two stars.

Task 4: With Tier 9 or 10 ships, earn 35,000 FXP. All modes. One star.

Task 5: With Tier 9 or 10 ships, earn 5 heroic achievements (randoms only). Two stars. See bottom of post for list of heroic achievements.

Task 6: With Tier 9 or 10 ships, get 30 kill or incapacitation ribbons in VICTORIOUS battles. One star.

Task 7: With Tier 9 or 10 ships, get 160,000* spotting damage in one battle and survive (victory not required). Two stars. (ETA: This appears to have been trimmed down to 115,000 after patch 0.9.3.1)

Task 8: With Tier 9/10 ships, win, top score and kill FOUR ships. Three stars.

FINAL TASK: All modes, score 1 million damage.

General Notes: Tier 8-plus ships of all types except carriers are in the running for Tasks 2 and 3, with Tier 8-plus cruisers eligible in co-op. Note very carefully which tasks require wins and which are eligible for co-op. Task 2 is the pathway to guaranteed advancement if you have cruisers, as the win rate in co-op is good enough to make nearly all of your battles count. Five repetitions of this is a total of 27.5 million credits, and one million per night is an easy co-op goal. One might also add Task 4 if one has the appropriate tier (and by now, you’ve accumulated enough XP that you should). This mission is do-able in a month at a slow crawl. 

My Strategy: The temptation to plug in tasks 2 and 4 and grind away in co-op is huge. On the other hand, I did not come even close to finishing the FXP task in Mission 2 before it became redundant and this militates against task 4. I have pretty much all the tech-tree cruisers to Tier 8 or better, and enough Tier 9-plus (Buffalo, Salem, Donskoi, Moskva, Smolensk, Neptune, Minotaur) for variety and to rotate them if one is destroyed and waiting to return. I altered my strategy to include Task 3, as it allows me to work with a battleship whose commander is the current candidate for progression to 19 points, and destroyers I am earmarking for B module grinds or possible advancement to Tier 9. No doubt some enterprising enemy will throw torpedoes in my direction in the course of things.

How it worked out in reality: I completed the "Spot 200 torpedoes" mission four times and the cruiser credits mission once. The million damage task was done with a variety of ships in co-op. I had a full day in which to work on nothing but this, and I found out that 200 torpedoes could be encountered in the course of a single hard day's play.

MISSION 5: Earn 10 stars to unlock the final task.

Task 1: Earn 150,000 ship XP with European ships, all modes, in victorious battles. Two stars.

Task 2: In battleships, earn 35 million potential damage. Two stars.

Task 3: In destroyers and cruisers, get 300,000 fire damage. Two stars.

Task 4: In Tier 9 or 10 ships, earn 100 spotting or torpedo hit ribbons. One star.

Task 5: In Tier 9 or 10 ships, any mode, earn 100,000 commander XP. One star.

Task 6: In Tier 9 or 10 ships, earn 20,000 base XP in VICTORIOUS battles. Two stars.

Task 7: In Tier 9 or 10 ships, earn the Dreadnought and High Caliber achievements in one battle. Three stars.

Task 8: In Tier 9 or 10 ships, win, top score, and earn the Kraken Unleashed (5 kills) in one battle. Three stars.

FINAL TASK: Earn 10,000 base XP in any mode.

General Notes: Tasks 2 and 3 are the simplest. Just shoot at things, remembering that Task 3 will be next to impossible for Italian cruisers and British light cruisers (their main armament cannot set fires). Completing the mission with task 5 is a truly massive undertaking (1 million commander XP), but if you stuck to the one-mission-per-patch timing then you will very likely actually have 50 days in which to grind out 20,000 commander XP per night. Not a difficult task even in co-op, but remember to leave yourself time for that 10K base XP at the end. Leave this one constantly in rotation. Tasks 7 and 8 are for the confident and skilled, while task 6 is probably not that hard to accomplish even one or two times in the time available and cut down the number of repetitions of other things (even if it does depend on a win condition).

Note that if you have a Tier 10 aircraft carrier (I wonder when the F.D.R will be released?), it is possible to farm the hell out of Task 4 in short order. Load tasks 4, 5 and 6; lather, rinse, repeat. Otherwise, with all that you have been doing, it’s not hard to contemplate having a Tier 9 or better DD by now, in which chances might be taken and risks rewarded. Onward, brave little destroyer!!!

How it worked out in reality: After the first iteration of the 100 spots or Torps mission, I FXP'd to the Audacious - the price I paid for having let her grind go by the wayside earlier in the campaign. This gave me a couple of stars in quick succession, and between her and my T9 and T10 ships, I also added on some stars for 100K XP missions. The rest were done by completing the battleship potential damage task.

I have done my best to proof-read my descriptions of the missions and tasks as listed in-game, but if you find any errors I would be grateful to have them pointed out. In all things, refer to the game interface and take that as the final authority. If I have missed any trick, wrinkle or inside edge on completion, that would also be greatly appreciated. @AdmiralThunder, the NA forums doyen of co-op players, has provided a useful condensation of the entire campaign for those who for whatever reason have elected not to play PvP modes or who want to attack some or all phases of the campaign in co-op. The link is below.

APPENDIX:

List of Heroic Achievements for Mission 4, task 5 and Mission 5, Task 7 (from the WOWS Wiki). Note that these are not available in co-op. 

image.thumb.png.c3ff2a0a2da34e2381fafc404ed6589b.png

EDIT: 9 OCTOBER 2020. THIS CAMPAIGN HAS NOW EXPIRED, AND CAN  NO LONGER BE COMPLETED.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
23,419 posts
17,347 battles

Mission 2 opens today, and with Task 4 of Mission 5 in mind, my primary goal has shifted to that of obtaining a Tier 10 aircraft carrier. For reasons to do with having a permacamo for the T8 that will be doing the work and a captain (Andrew Cunningham) to put in the T10 whose special skills are biased toward carriers, I have chosen to grind the Implacable toward the Audacious.

My initial intent to grind the hell out of cruisers (Mission 2, Task 3) is therefore taking a back seat - or maybe the front passenger seat - but I will need ships to take straight into battle on those occasions when the Implacable is waiting to come back to port. I can spam co-op while waiting for the Imp to return, or I can play full random battles with the cruisers if I feel so inclined; either course can advance both Task 3 and Task 5. Of course I will be selecting the ship kill and ship XP missions, as the Implacable's grind will advance both of those to one degree or another. I put 20,000 XP on the Implacable last night, and I didn't even use any special flags or camos (the permacamo was free from a collection, the containers of which can be bought for coal; you just need one to unlock it). 

If I can keep that up, I'll have the Audacious in two weeks. The continuous theme that runs through all my event advice threads is to find a way to make the directive/mission grind work for me. 

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
23,419 posts
17,347 battles

Reality check on the plan. First night of Mission 2, and ship kills is leading the pack in terms of winning stars. With eight stars required and seven kills per star, that's 56 ship kills overall. I got ten tonight, plus I'm on the home stretch for task 5 (50K XP). At this rate, I might even be done with Mission 2 before Mission 3 opens.

I'm beginning to think that the FXP task is for players who have chosen to load up all their best FXP flags and camo on their best cruisers and spam FXP to get Smaland.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,419 posts
17,347 battles

Reality check number 2: ship kills won the day and I didn't need anywhere near as many cycles of the XP mission as I thought I would. Still working through the Mission 2 final task as I type this, but that is merely a formality. 

This may actually sideline my plan to obtain the Audacious for Mission 5, as the general tasks in Missions 3 and 4 require Tier 9 ships or above and except for the final tasks, and the ones that allow Tier 8 specifically do not allow carriers. And there are other ways to do this which advance multiple grinds. I'm rather annoyed with myself right now, because I could have been in either the Lion or the Jutland by this time instead of less than halfway to the Audacious.

We live and learn, and hopefully I'm learning this lesson the hard way so that you don't have to.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,419 posts
17,347 battles

Mission update 28 April: Mission 3 is going more or less as planned. Completion prior to mission 4 opening was not a possibility this time around.

[FML]
Members
4,157 posts
16,067 battles

I am still stuck on the first mission group - doing the last two stars now.  So you're doing really well :).  

My main problem is that I typically play T5-7, which ofc doesnt help.  But the grind for the Albermarle continues...

Edited by UltimateNewbie

[ARGSY]
Members
23,419 posts
17,347 battles
17 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

My main problem is that I typically play T5-7, which ofc doesnt help.

Heh. There's a big part of me which would happily be in co-op, spamming every T5 to T7 premium I've got plus the Fiji, but at the end of the day the little voice in my head that says "You're only down here because you're scared of high-tier randoms" isn't completely wrong. In addition, I need to do these campaigns myself because you can only give so much advice from the sidelines. It's the reason why you're seeing my post-hoc analysis as I complete each mission (or at least get well within reach of the finish line).

I know that the ships and choices I have to hand aren't the same as for a far newer player with far fewer ships, but I'm hoping that by describing what I'm doing  with the options I have to hand, it will help newer players to share my way of thinking: that is, always to consider the question "How shall I adapt to and tackle the event to suit my fleet and my goals? How can I bend it to my advantage and get through to the final goal with the greatest ease?" This one is interesting because of the time limit; the ships you grind in the early phases (Commander and ship XP at Tier 8) might have to be the ones you need to get past certain bottlenecks in later parts of the campaign, or if you're starting when everyone else did, you might need to take it slowly while you elevate another line to Tier 8 (e.g. for the destroyer task in Mission 3). 

The fact that I'm getting through this fairly quickly (I hope to have it done in a couple of months, certainly not more than three) SHOULD give hope to players who aren't quite up to Tier 8 yet that they still have a shot at it if they do some good long-range planning and take a careful look at what this campaign involves to determine the minimum that they need.

[FML]
Members
4,157 posts
16,067 battles
5 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Heh. There's a big part of me which would happily be in co-op, spamming every T5 to T7 premium I've got plus the Fiji, but at the end of the day the little voice in my head that says "You're only down here because you're scared of high-tier randoms" isn't completely wrong. In addition, I need to do these campaigns myself because you can only give so much advice from the sidelines. It's the reason why you're seeing my post-hoc analysis as I complete each mission (or at least get well within reach of the finish line).

I know that the ships and choices I have to hand aren't the same as for a far newer player with far fewer ships, but I'm hoping that by describing what I'm doing  with the options I have to hand, it will help newer players to share my way of thinking: that is, always to consider the question "How shall I adapt to and tackle the event to suit my fleet and my goals? How can I bend it to my advantage and get through to the final goal with the greatest ease?" This one is interesting because of the time limit; the ships you grind in the early phases (Commander and ship XP at Tier 8) might have to be the ones you need to get past certain bottlenecks in later parts of the campaign, or if you're starting when everyone else did, you might need to take it slowly while you elevate another line to Tier 8 (e.g. for the destroyer task in Mission 3). 

The fact that I'm getting through this fairly quickly (I hope to have it done in a couple of months, certainly not more than three) SHOULD give hope to players who aren't quite up to Tier 8 yet that they still have a shot at it if they do some good long-range planning and take a careful look at what this campaign involves to determine the minimum that they need.

I’m not being critical of you by any measure. 

As an update to my own progress - last night finished the last 20k xp on the Albermarle, bought and fitted out the Duke, Free XPed the B hull, and then went of a bit of a winning streak so got the 33k xp for the range upgrade and about 45k of the 250k to the Goliath. Solid progress for a night, I think. 

Still, I’m not exactly having fun - set fire to this, get citadelled at max range by that, camp here cos it’s too dangerous to push, team gets rolled 11 ships to 2, we roll enemy team 11 ships to 4, etc. 

Im not afraid of the high tiers. I’m bored by it. I prefer the chaos of mid tiers, where most ships now have a bit of speed and a bit of firepower but aren’t devastating in either, where there is a genuine mix of experienced players and new players making the battles much more chaotic and unpredictable requiring a more dynamic assessment of the situation to succeed. And I feel that my own individual contribution matters more - you can take some risks and force a play without getting blapped from across the map by some camper or DPMed by some chain smoking fire breathing monster. I am not scared of such things - instead their deadliness promotes campy play that I find less fun and engaging than in mid tiers. 

[ARGSY]
Members
23,419 posts
17,347 battles

Update: I'm only a couple of days behind the time gate. I finished the 75K commander XP mission by virtue of piling every flag that yields XP onto my Monarch, together with a Type 59 camo, and having a couple of good fights. That got me into the Lion. The rest was just mopping up. 

Members
430 posts
15,705 battles

3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Update: I'm only a couple of days behind the time gate. I finished the 75K commander XP mission by virtue of piling every flag that yields XP onto my Monarch, together with a Type 59 camo, and having a couple of good fights. That got me into the Lion. The rest was just mopping up.

Out of upvotes, so here's a +1 for you.  With the 200% over the next week or so, I hope to finish the first Mission this weekend and make a substantial dent in the second; as well as advancing some ships along their tiers and hoarding more ECXP along the way.  Been doing the first Mission entirely through co-op (Friesland and Orkan for the EU requirements, my other T8-T10 ships for the other; captain's xp and damage I think) and doing ok so far.  I think another 3 to 4 stars to go to the final task.  Have enjoyed the Orkan.  Nice little DD so far in co-op play.  Haven't taken it to randoms yet, but getting the captain xp as much as possible.  We shall see.

Members
877 posts
6,656 battles
On 4/28/2020 at 6:48 PM, UltimateNewbie said:

I am still stuck on the first mission group - doing the last two stars now.  So you're doing really well :).  

My main problem is that I typically play T5-7, which ofc doesnt help.  But the grind for the Albermarle continues...

Slowly working through the final task for Mission 1.  I only have 5 T8 ships (no T9+): 2 cruisers and 3 DDs.  Potential damage goes slowly with those.  I seriously doubt I'll be able to finish the whole thing.  (and I'm playing 15-20 battles a day)  This whole thing feels like (just like every other campaign) a love fest for T8+ ships and people who like playing Randoms.  What's next?  Campaigns and events that can only be played in Clan Battles?

[ARGSY]
Members
23,419 posts
17,347 battles
1 minute ago, JAKeller said:

This whole thing feels like (just like every other campaign) a love fest for T8+ ships and people who like playing Randoms. 

ALL the campaigns except Science of Victory are like that; the difference here is that you only have six months to finish it if you were ready to start when it did. 

If you go into co-op, you can be as reckless as you want and spam potential damage very quickly, even in a destroyer or cruiser. Which Tier 8 ships do you have?

Ultimately you have to decide if this is worth it for you. I'm doing it because I can, and because I decided to use the various tasks to motivate me in areas where I need to improve (e.g. contesting and taking caps in a destroyer). One of the things I am most definitely annoyed at is how eager they were to raise the bar to Tier 9, but I'm going to save the harshest criticism for AFTER I'm done so that nobody can accuse me of having failure-motivated sour grapes.

Members
877 posts
6,656 battles
On 4/29/2020 at 5:30 PM, UltimateNewbie said:

I’m not being critical of you by any measure. 

As an update to my own progress - last night finished the last 20k xp on the Albermarle, bought and fitted out the Duke, Free XPed the B hull, and then went of a bit of a winning streak so got the 33k xp for the range upgrade and about 45k of the 250k to the Goliath. Solid progress for a night, I think. 

Still, I’m not exactly having fun - set fire to this, get citadelled at max range by that, camp here cos it’s too dangerous to push, team gets rolled 11 ships to 2, we roll enemy team 11 ships to 4, etc. 

Im not afraid of the high tiers. I’m bored by it. I prefer the chaos of mid tiers, where most ships now have a bit of speed and a bit of firepower but aren’t devastating in either, where there is a genuine mix of experienced players and new players making the battles much more chaotic and unpredictable requiring a more dynamic assessment of the situation to succeed. And I feel that my own individual contribution matters more - you can take some risks and force a play without getting blapped from across the map by some camper or DPMed by some chain smoking fire breathing monster. I am not scared of such things - instead their deadliness promotes campy play that I find less fun and engaging than in mid tiers. 

Yep.  T5 to T7 are the most fun to be honest, regardless of whether you play in Random or Coop.  But lately, all I get to focus on is not having fun, but on either grinding my few T8s towards a goal that requires only T8+ ships or grinding my T7s into T8s.  Admittedly, I have nearly 3 million XP sitting in my Premium and Elite ships, but I don't spend much money on this game, it just SITS there.  I do truly wish WG had a FXP holiday once a year where you could convert a million XP to FXP; I might actually get to use that batch sitting there.  Otherwise, I'm just grinding with a total of 12 lead ships (5 T8 - 2 CAs 3 DDs , 3 T7 - 1 CA 2 DDs, 4 T6 - 1 BB 1 CV 1 CA 1 CL) and the T6s aren't getting a lot of love lately.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,419 posts
17,347 battles
2 minutes ago, JAKeller said:

grinding my few T8s towards a goal that requires only T8+ ships

How important is the goal to you?

If, for example, you have absolutely no interest in the Euro DD line, then it's possible to argue that you don't need Jerzy Swirski at all and you can let the whole thing go. Get back down to T6 and T7 and have some fun. 

Members
877 posts
6,656 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

ALL the campaigns except Science of Victory are like that; the difference here is that you only have six months to finish it if you were ready to start when it did. 

If you go into co-op, you can be as reckless as you want and spam potential damage very quickly, even in a destroyer or cruiser. Which Tier 8 ships do you have?

Ultimately you have to decide if this is worth it for you. I'm doing it because I can, and because I decided to use the various tasks to motivate me in areas where I need to improve (e.g. contesting and taking caps in a destroyer). One of the things I am most definitely annoyed at is how eager they were to raise the bar to Tier 9, but I'm going to save the harshest criticism for AFTER I'm done so that nobody can accuse me of having failure-motivated sour grapes.

That's what I've been doing.  I also have to work for scores too, as I'm trying to grind my Zara into an Amalfi, and I need the credits to purchase the hull and outfit the ship with modules.  (typically about 11.5 Cr for T8 ships)

T8s are: Mogami (which oddly enough is not about 35k XP from Ibuki), Hipper (which I'm still working through its modernizations), The Twins (Akizuki and Kagerō), and Öland.  Actually managed to get nearly 500k in potential (died but got 3 kills too) in Kagerō a couple of days ago.  I'm about halfway to the 15M requirement though it took a week.

Remember, I don't like spending money on this game (I have a family I take care of, so that has first priority), which can make acquiring things like credits and even the signals for easing gaining credits a bit more difficult.  What makes it more difficult is I don't really care for Randoms much, and rewards for Coop are significantly lower (about 1/3 as much) as for similar levels of performance in Randoms, so it makes the going a lot tougher.

Members
877 posts
6,656 battles
4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

How important is the goal to you?

If, for example, you have absolutely no interest in the Euro DD line, then it's possible to argue that you don't need Jerzy Swirski at all and you can let the whole thing go. Get back down to T6 and T7 and have some fun. 

I try to find value in every line.  So far, that's been true.  Play styles are different (Euro DDs are a like like Fr DD but with lower damage torps); indeed, I've found adding Survivability Expert as a captain skill to be very useful.  Swirski useful?  By the time I could grind to get him, I'm likely to have higher rated captains (got a 9 pointer now already in the Öland), but sure why not?  Given time constraints and spending priorities, I've been approaching this a lot more casually than some of you.  I even spent time playing Stellaris and Empire Total War last night.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,419 posts
17,347 battles
19 hours ago, JAKeller said:

By the time I could grind to get him, I'm likely to have higher rated captains

Swirski's attraction lies not just in the 10 points, which I agree could be ground to more easily than finishing the campaign, but in his boosted talents.

image.thumb.png.424d995f55bb0c488d038073cca66687.png

Reference: https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/history/the-history-of-jerzy-swirski/ 

If you think you can do without that, by all means pass him by.

Members
877 posts
6,656 battles

@Ensign_Cthulhu - Dude, it's called Cognitive Dissonance.  You can argue all you want about how useful Swirski is, but if I lack the time to grind that much for him, it's not going to happen.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,419 posts
17,347 battles
9 minutes ago, JAKeller said:

You can argue all you want about how useful Swirski is, but if I lack the time to grind that much for him, it's not going to happen.

I'm not trying to argue for him; I'm just saying that these are the features which make him attractive for some people to grind for.

Also, this:

1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If you think you can do without that, by all means pass him by.

I was not being ironic or confrontational. I was telling you with complete honesty that if YOU don't think it's enough of an advantage to be worth it, you have every justification in walking away from this.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,419 posts
17,347 battles

Mission 4 is progressing in a way I didn't expect. I obtained the Amagi and thus have another battleship to grind towards the torpedo spotting task, which at times has been... shall we say, depressingly successful? :fish_boom:

I could play destroyers just as easily, but I'm finding the battleships to be more fun at the moment. Intensive DD play was fun when I had a task which specifically required them to do something which destroyers do best (take capture points), but this is a more general task which I feel is better accomplished in a tougher ship. In addition, I'm much, MUCH more likely to get a Dreadnought medal (heroic achievement for Mission 4, task 5) in the Jean Bart, Musashi, Georgia, Lion or Thunderer than I am in the Jutland (and before you ask, yes, it is a destroyer with a heal).

[TDG]
Members
1,853 posts
13,940 battles

Thanks for the write-up.

I looked at the Missions and their related Tasks and identified the ones that have rewards I consider useful.  I also eliminated those that I was unlikely to complete due to availability of ships or extreme performance requirements.  I also considered that I play both Randoms and Co-op, and that we have 6 months to complete the Campaign.

My current focus is finishing the UU grinds before they go away.  I've basically kept the primes Tasks always active and mostly just play as needed for other goals.

I ended up using Tasks 2, 3, 4, and 5 for Mission 1 (Task 4 was used 3 times)

Mission 2 worked well as I had some cruisers on the Free XP part of the UU series.  I ended up running Tasks 3, 4, and 5 (recycling 5 until complete)

I'm currently about halfway through Mission 3.  Only completed Task 5 so far (almost done for the thrid time).  I have Tasks 3 and 4 active, but have not finished them yet.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,419 posts
17,347 battles

Finished Mission 4 this morning, and was surprised to find that the "Spot 200 torpedoes" mission was the one that really brought home the bacon. I finished the cruiser credits mission once and did not even get close to finishing the Heroic Achievements task.

The 1 million damage task is very easily farmed in co-op.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,419 posts
17,347 battles

Mission 5 is well underway and I got a surprise; spotting ribbons are coming in thick and fast for Task 4, and are amply supplemented by torpedo hits. Although this task only brings in one star, it's not that hard to advance in it. The BB task is advancing more slowly, but will bring two stars every time it's done.

Very strongly tempted to drop this for a while and power-grind Implacable through to Audacious; being able to do a sweep around the battlefield and pick up a whole bunch of spotting ribbons every time would be good. I have enough FXP to do it; the issue is credits, and the grind would assist in earning them. Something like 30 million credits and another 170,000 XP needed to grind before I push that button, but it would accelerate things quite a bit. We still have a little over four months, and I'll be in the Audacious long before that.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,419 posts
17,347 battles

Update: I FXP'd to Audacious, bought a permacamo for her, and discovered just how quickly it is possible to power-grind spotting ribbons and torpedo hits. Between a repeat of the Commander XP task and finishing the BB potential damage mission for the first time, got to six stars tonight and am effectively on the home stretch. I could binge-grind Audacious, but I have this week's directives to consider. It might be better to get those done, pick up the last of the Soviet Cruiser event containers, and then finish this campaign - which I can probably get done before the next patch starts...