You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Otago_F111

swapping AP to HE

20 comments in this topic

[AN2AC]
Members
156 posts
9,325 battles

or vice versa.

I'm using Expert loader on some ships and the time goes from eg. 29 seconds to 7 sec, which works great on most occasions but sometimes it goes to the full timing. Is there a timing delay or some other factor for this to happen?

p.s I tried a search, tried wiki but nothing about it that I could find.

thanks in anticipation guys.

[-DF-]
Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,604 battles

Might be one of your turrets was still reloading.  That happens to me on occasion.  Don't recall it ever not working when everything was loaded.

• Cool 1

[-DF-]
Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,604 battles
1 minute ago, Slyguy3129 said:

I'd like to know as well. Never used the perk, but might with further clarification.

I'd think on anything with a long reload and if you're aware enough to know what to shoot, it's not a bad idea.  Halsey I think makes it 75% reduction which is super tasty.

• Cool 1

[WTFB]
Members
278 posts
12 minutes ago, CommodoreKang said:

I'd think on anything with a long reload and if you're aware enough to know what to shoot, it's not a bad idea.  Halsey I think makes it 75% reduction which is super tasty.

Ah. Good to know, but I only drive KM.

[AN2AC]
Members
156 posts
9,325 battles

thats the one im talking about :)  

13 minutes ago, CommodoreKang said:

Might be one of your turrets was still reloading.  That happens to me on occasion.  Don't recall it ever not working when everything was loaded.

I have tried waiting until they are all loaded, but still occurs.

[-DF-]
Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,604 battles
Just now, Slyguy3129 said:

Ah. Good to know, but I only drive KM.

If you can spare the point, it's still worth the standard 50% I'd say.  Using the right ammo is a big chunk of excelling in this game imo.

[-DF-]
Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,604 battles
1 minute ago, Otago_F111 said:

Yeah I don't know man.  Have you watched a replay to make sure?

[WTFB]
Members
278 posts

If you can spare the point, it's still worth the standard 50% I'd say.  Using the right ammo is a big chunk of excelling in this game imo.

Yea, but I'd have to lose either my Fire Prevention (Nope) or a Secondary Boost (Defeats purpose of being Bismarck).

If I ever decide to seriously branch out I will consider it for USN.

[-DF-]
Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,604 battles
4 minutes ago, Slyguy3129 said:

Yea, but I'd have to lose either my Fire Prevention (Nope) or a Secondary Boost (Defeats purpose of being Bismarck).

If I ever decide to seriously branch out I will consider it for USN.

Yeah when I finally unlocked Halsey, I had to really overthink my build to fit it in.  But, now I wouldn't go anywhere without it. 

Fire Prevention is a must have now though (edit:for a BB).  I would not give that up for it. lol

Edited by CommodoreKang

Beta Testers
363 posts
12,391 battles
19 minutes ago, Otago_F111 said:

My understanding is this:

1. You need the Expert Loader skill on your captain (obviously).
  2. All of your guns need to be ready to fire ("damaged and repairing" blocks it, "destroyed" does not).
  3. You need to double-tap to switch the ammo for your current shot, not single-tap to switch ammo for the next one.

Pass all three conditions, and you get the shortened reload cycle.  Fail any one, you get a full reload cycle.

My bet would be you failed condition 2, that is one of your guns was almost-but-not-quite loaded when you decided to swap.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
7,852 posts
23,792 battles
2 hours ago, Otago_F111 said:

or vice versa.

I'm using Expert loader on some ships and the time goes from eg. 29 seconds to 7 sec, which works great on most occasions but sometimes it goes to the full timing. Is there a timing delay or some other factor for this to happen?

2 hours ago, Slyguy3129 said:

I'd like to know as well. Never used the perk, but might with further clarification.

This might be the issue...but if not...please disregard:

We are kinda trained to wait until the reticles all turn green to fire our guns & if you have a turret that is not locked on (due to maneuvering) it shows up as grey & maybe 1 of the greyed out ones were not finished loading.

It's very important (especially when using that skill) to be aware of the turret lines at the bottom that count down each turrets reload & make sure they are all green & not just the reticle indicators of the turrets that are locked on...especially on ships w/a turret w/a 360° rotation that can get lost inside the superstructure that seems lined up but actually isn't...not that it needs to be lined up for the skill to work...just that it's harder to tell if it's green (reloaded) or not while lost in superstructure if you only rely on the reticle.

Also:

2 hours ago, DeMatt said:

My understanding is this:

1. You need the Expert Loader skill on your captain (obviously).
  2. All of your guns need to be ready to fire ("damaged and repairing" blocks it, "destroyed" does not).
  3. You need to double-tap to switch the ammo for your current shot, not single-tap to switch ammo for the next one.

Pass all three conditions, and you get the shortened reload cycle.  Fail any one, you get a full reload cycle.

My bet would be you failed condition 2, that is one of your guns was almost-but-not-quite loaded when you decided to swap.

^^^This...especially the condition 2 clarifier about "damaged & repairing"...that has gotten me a few times in the past (in the heat of battle) by not realizing a turret was damaged.

As for condition 3...a single-tap & another single-tap does not equal a double-tap (I may have this wrong...2 single taps may = a double tap...kinda foggy as I only use that skill on US BBs w/the 75% perk & it's been a long time...8 or 9 months...since I've run a US BB). If you single tap...single-tap back to the original again before double-tapping...but by all means never triple tap (which can happen while WASD spamming while panic maneuvering).

BTW...the US Doh (oops...sorry...I meant Doe) brothers also have that 75% skill buff.

[AN2AC]
Members
156 posts
9,325 battles

@DeMatt  and @IfYouSeeKhaos  thanks for your wisdom guys.

It must have been not locked on (greyed out)  and was still reloading so will ensure i keep a better eye on it.

Also will keep in mind the double tap, I tend to tap "twice".

BZ and thanks again.

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
7 hours ago, Otago_F111 said:

thats the one im talking about :)  

Even if one turret has 0.5s remaining on the reload, it will still cause a full reload time.  I've done that by mistake on many occasions.

There is no reason Expert Marksman shouldn't work if timed correctly.  If you're still finding an issue, send a replay to support so they can see the evidence.

[MIA-I]
Members
118 posts
11 battles
18 hours ago, Otago_F111 said:

or vice versa.

You rarely change from AP to HE on BBs since you overmatch ships. And if you can't overmatch that ship, you can shoot its super-structure and get good results. An example of when you would switch from AP to HE on a BB is when you are facing an angled or how in yamato in a BB other than Yamato or Musashi. In cruisers, you want to be switching between shell types a lot depending on how the target is angled, what range and what caliber. As for gunbote DDs, it goes similarly to cruisers. 

[AN2AC]
Members
156 posts
9,325 battles
14 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Even if one turret has 0.5s remaining on the reload, it will still cause a full reload time.  I've done that by mistake on many occasions.

There is no reason Expert Marksman shouldn't work if timed correctly.  If you're still finding an issue, send a replay to support so they can see the evidence.

totally got how it works now, but the question is why does it do this?

I have spent points so why does it even work this way. I should be able switch  regardless and it should be at the reduced timing.

[SGSS]
Members
5,728 posts
23 hours ago, Otago_F111 said:

or vice versa.

I use it on every ship.  Somtimes I hit it before ever barrel is reloaded.  If its .1 befoee reload then you have to wait the full time.

[BSL]
Members
1,232 posts
21,382 battles
1 hour ago, jags_domain said:

I use it on every ship.  Somtimes I hit it before ever barrel is reloaded.  If its .1 befoee reload then you have to wait the full time.

Yup, and Bull Halsey does all my premium US BBs.

Beta Testers
363 posts
12,391 battles
4 hours ago, Otago_F111 said:

totally got how it works now, but the question is why does it do this?

I have spent points so why does it even work this way. I should be able switch  regardless and it should be at the reduced timing.

Because you're supposed to complete an entire reload cycle between each time you fire your guns.  Imagine the following, assuming Expert Loader always reduced the reload time the way you're thinking:

1. You in your BB fire an AP salvo.  You've got 30 seconds to wait before your next salvo is ready.
  2. You double-tap to switch to HE.  Expert Loader kicks in and reduces your load time to 15 seconds.
  3. You wait 15 seconds and fire the HE salvo.  You've got 30 seconds to wait before your next salvo is ready.
  4. You double-tap to switch to AP.  Expert Loader kicks in and reduces your load time to 15 seconds.
  5. You wait 15 seconds and fire the AP salvo... 30 seconds after you fired the previous AP salvo.

See what happens?  You've been able to double your rate of fire, just by alternating between AP and HE.  If it's a captain with the improved 75% Expert Loader, you'd be able to QUADRUPLE your rate of fire.

So, to prevent that exploit, every gun needs to be fully loaded for Expert Loader to shorten the "ammo switch" reload time.  Otherwise, it doesn't, and you'll restart the reload cycle from the beginning.

[SGSS]
Members
5,728 posts
7 hours ago, BearlyHereBear said:

Yup, and Bull Halsey does all my premium US BBs.

Its fun on Des with him. You reload in like 2 sec