You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Mustangrde1

Problem with EURO DD

33 comments in this topic

[--O--]
Members
994 posts

I cannot think of any other DD I have above T-8 that would have this many torp hits for that low a damage 87,424 -13,320 flooding = 5,700 per torp hit that is NOT acceptable. Other than that and short gun range. I'm having fun in the line

image.thumb.png.47cb3b54235f6b1019122d222a2f28e7.png

image.thumb.png.967cdbfb90d27209d6e7e9342d09670f.png

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,783 posts

Eh, it is the line's trait.  Low damage but fast reloading torps.

If they increase the damage, they have to make the reload longer.  If they do that, it's every other DD.

• Cool 1

[--O--]
Members
994 posts
5 minutes ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

I mean, it's not like it shows you anywhere in the game how much alpha damage things do...

Oh, wait...

Ummm ya lol.

I might set it up pure gunboat i mean 10 hits i did almost as much damage as 1 torp does.

[SYN]
Members
15,933 posts
12,803 battles

13% hit rate with torps is abnormally high.

Like literally twice the norm of a standard torpedo centric DD.

Members
925 posts
5,110 battles

Like I said in the Halland thread, Ostergotland needs a torp tweak. I don't think there is any other line that has such a massive torpedo improvement from tier 9 to 10 in addition to the basic ROF and HP bump. For the most part tier 9 DDs can access tier 10 torp specs and/or loadouts. It should be the same reload as Halland since its already 2 less torps and down 1.5km on range. The lower tier 2x3 ones could be changed out for higher damage longer reload in my opinion. The spread is so miniscule they're super easy to dodge and then they tickle when you do land a hit.

Edited by ksix

[BB-C4]
Beta Testers
129 posts
10,396 battles
30 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Eh, it is the line's trait.  Low damage but fast reloading torps.

If they increase the damage, they have to make the reload longer.  If they do that, it's every other DD.

Not necessarily, cause the Germans generally reload as fast or faster in the case of the quad launchers and deal more damage(in addition to better flood chance).

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,783 posts
11 minutes ago, MBT808 said:

Not necessarily, cause the Germans generally reload as fast or faster in the case of the quad launchers and deal more damage(in addition to better flood chance).

I just looked a the Skane because it is the one I have, so T7.  Torp reload is 59 seconds.  I looked at the Maass and it is 90 seconds.

Honestly had not looked above that tier yet but you are right.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,780 posts
6,023 battles
13 minutes ago, MBT808 said:

The Swedish torps are fast loading and very fast in the water, making hits much more likely.  You can't have high damage, long range, quick reloading, fast torpedoes and have it be balanced.

• Cool 1

[FG]
Members
566 posts
4,806 battles

You are giving up torpedo alpha damage, but gaining speed, reload, and the super narrow spread ability. 

They are basically the torps with the highest chance of hitting enemy ships in the game, so it is only natural that their damage be lower than average. 

[BB-C4]
Beta Testers
129 posts
10,396 battles
43 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

I just looked a the Skane because it is the one I have, so T7.  Torp reload is 59 seconds.  I looked at the Maass and it is 90 seconds.

Honestly had not looked above that tier yet but you are right.

Yeah, you don’t get quads until tier 9, it’s 10 seconds longer than the Germans. That’s not even considering T-61s 69 second reload.

wowsft is great for comparing stats Like this.

Members
763 posts
14,038 battles

I know this is going to sound DUH! But, the trick is getting close enough to the broadside that the narrow spread just hits the complete length of the BB. Then it hurts a little. Both launchers it hurts a little more. I've actually dev struck or at the least smacked them in the face with a frying pan doing this. If you're hitting one or two into the bow or at an angle it will just tickle them. I've also found popping some cruisers they laugh at you while others have an OMG moment. I didn't pay enough attention in math class so I'm not certain if it's the ship that I've targeted or whatever that causes this. Widespread is more area denial and DOT. I can also say I don't think these DDs are good at area denial unless you have friends at your back. In almost all situations you can't out torp, out gun, out run or skate away. More and more after playing these DDs I'm more a liken to playing them narrow spread torps Shimakaze sneaky playing Asashio style targeting.   

[KIA-C]
Members
3,686 posts
16,246 battles

The T8 torp deal around 7.5k damage, I don't know for the T9 but the T10 torp damage is I think 10700.

I think having less than 10k alpha on torps is a bit exagerated but otherwise, it's fine, your torps reload is decent and the range and speed are both excellent.

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles

The mid tier ones, especially the T6, might stand to be buffed in the future but there really isn't much need to buff any of them, especially not the high tiers where they actually have the national flavor, yet. Let the dust settle first.

[BB-C4]
Beta Testers
129 posts
10,396 battles
34 minutes ago, Tekina_ said:

The mid tier ones, especially the T6, might stand to be buffed in the future but there really isn't much need to buff any of them, especially not the high tiers where they actually have the national flavor, yet. Let the dust settle first.

Personally, I think the tier 5 or tier 6 could stand to be replaced. With a bit of a buff or nerf they both could either be tier 5 or tier 6.

[_PEWP]
In AlfaTesters, In AlfaTesters
2,399 posts
13,248 battles

In the Skane I had real good results using the wide spread. Also as has been pointed out, if there were any buffs to these torps then the ships would be OP for sure.

[--V--]
Members
1,475 posts
13,933 battles

Just started going up the EU line yesterday.  Put 5 torps from my T5 Visby into a full health Nagato at close range.    (caught him coming around an island) Was shocked by how little damage they did.  Caused 2 floodings, but he repaired that quickly and destroyed me.  I didn't realize until then how wimpy EU torps were.

Members
859 posts
4,679 battles

Oh no my 11km, 95 knot, 76 second reload Torps only do 10,700 damage per hit!!! Oh well, better use my guns that reload in 2 seconds.

Meanwhile in Japan (where good torps are meant to be their national flavour) T9 land you get 9km, 75 knot, 88s reload attached to a ship that reloads it's pitiful guns every 5 seconds.

You're vastly under valuing the difference in hit probability that you get from having longer ranged, 25% faster torps.

Edited by macktkau2

[MKF]
Members
583 posts
20,416 battles
On 4/9/2020 at 10:02 PM, SovereignEagle said:

You are giving up torpedo alpha damage, but gaining speed, reload, and the super narrow spread ability. 

They are basically the torps with the highest chance of hitting enemy ships in the game, so it is only natural that their damage be lower than average. 

Exactly, the speed of those torps make it much easier to land hits. 

[KRAK]
Members
3,718 posts
21,787 battles
On 4/9/2020 at 9:46 PM, MBT808 said:

German torps do not have a 90-knot speed like the Euro DD.

[SRBL]
Members
541 posts
14,272 battles
On 4/9/2020 at 9:09 PM, Mustangrde1 said:

I cannot think of any other DD I have above T-8 that would have this many torp hits for that low a damage 87,424 -13,320 flooding = 5,700 per torp hit that is NOT acceptable. 

Except you did closer to 7,600 per hit with the flooding and 6,700 without. Surprised no one caught the bad math sooner.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,419 posts
17,347 battles
On 4/10/2020 at 8:37 AM, GrayPanther2018 said:

I suppose they work, but at T5&6 it just seems you annoy ships to death. 

My feeling is that that's the trait of the line. If you have friends (especially div-mates) who can be ready to set fires on the ships you flood, it should be possible to overload damage control and critically weaken ships in short order. Skane's upgraded torps are when the line finds its true flavour, but I was playing around with the Oland in PTS last night and finding myself sticking with those torps because the reload is still under a minute and having Torp Armament Expertise on the captain gets it down even further. In that sense she plays a lot like an A-Hull Ognevoi (which also has a very short reload), but the Ognevoi's torps are slow heavy hitters that only go out to 10km instead of 12, and Ognevoi can smoke up to set permafires after she's flooded someone. That's a whole lot trickier in a Swedish DD unless the enemy ship has lots of distractions, and in PTS last night the teams were very small and not conducive to that sort of thing.

In Co-op, the Swedish destroyers' meta doesn't work well at all.