Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Merc_R_Us

Very noob questions: RNG, switch between rockets, and alpha??

5 comments in this topic

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,001 posts
8,042 battles

Hi all, so I never really explored the forums or anything until now. I keep seeing the terms Alpha rockets and RNG; what do these mean?

Also, I've been saving my credits to buy the midway but I'm curious about the rocket situation on the Lexington; when it was time to upgrade the rocket planes I went with the tiny Tim since I'm fairly comfortable hitting dds with less rockets, but now I'm wondering; if I bought both rocket upgrades, am I able to switch between them in a match? I'd spend the credits to buy it but I am 5 million away from the midway so I'm saving everything I can.

Also completely different topic, what's with all the hate against CVs? I swear everyone hates them but if they would just group up their stupid ships and packs of three, there's nothing I can do, especially in the later parts of the game where I've lost planes.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,851 posts
4,290 battles

Not sure what you mean by alpha rockets. Do you mean AP rockets? Those are going to be a new thing which will act like AP shells. The idea is to give DDs a break but in turn doing damage to cruisers. It's a really dumb idea because now you have a stupid easy to use weapon that does massive damage to cruisers instead of DDs.

Or you could be referring to the alpha damage on rockets, which is just the direct damage they do. Probably seen DDs complaining after they lose a third of their HP before reaching a cap.

RNG - Random Number Generator. Also known as RNGesus. This is a thing in many game, not just WOWS. For many actions, such as where exactly shells land, whether shells bounce, etc, there's a probability. What the game does is basically use a random number generator to decide what happens. If the number is in the probability range, then something happens. If not, something else. Thus the difference between multiple citadels and multiple overpens is partially a virtual dice roll. Hence the multiple jokes about praying to RNGesus, everyone wants luck on their side.

Why do people hate CVs? Simple, they completely overrule all surface strategies, and there's not really anything you can do about it. They basically ruin a DD's ability to do anything productive, even if rocket planes don't just blap him, the spotting allows the rest of the team to shoot him. This spotting ruins most everyone's concealment, which is a key part of the game. And now AA is screwed up so that most damage is done by flak, which most decent players can dodge. Combined with AA nerfs, this means that even supposedly good AA ships aren't that great. The result is that even a moderately good CV player can pretty much strike whoever he wants whenever he want, giving him a huge impact on the game. Grouping up does work to some extent, but that just leads to camping in the back, which is bad in other ways. Basically there's a balance between DDs, cruisers, and BBs. And the CV doesn't give a crap about that balance, they crapon everyone equally. And that's why everyone hates them, because they distract from the main gameplay.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,001 posts
8,042 battles
10 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Not sure what you mean by alpha rockets. Do you mean AP rockets? Those are going to be a new thing which will act like AP shells. The idea is to give DDs a break but in turn doing damage to cruisers. It's a really dumb idea because now you have a stupid easy to use weapon that does massive damage to cruisers instead of DDs.

Or you could be referring to the alpha damage on rockets, which is just the direct damage they do. Probably seen DDs complaining after they lose a third of their HP before reaching a cap.

RNG - Random Number Generator. Also known as RNGesus. This is a thing in many game, not just WOWS. For many actions, such as where exactly shells land, whether shells bounce, etc, there's a probability. What the game does is basically use a random number generator to decide what happens. If the number is in the probability range, then something happens. If not, something else. Thus the difference between multiple citadels and multiple overpens is partially a virtual dice roll. Hence the multiple jokes about praying to RNGesus, everyone wants luck on their side.

Why do people hate CVs? Simple, they completely overrule all surface strategies, and there's not really anything you can do about it. They basically ruin a DD's ability to do anything productive, even if rocket planes don't just blap him, the spotting allows the rest of the team to shoot him. This spotting ruins most everyone's concealment, which is a key part of the game. And now AA is screwed up so that most damage is done by flak, which most decent players can dodge. Combined with AA nerfs, this means that even supposedly good AA ships aren't that great. The result is that even a moderately good CV player can pretty much strike whoever he wants whenever he want, giving him a huge impact on the game. Grouping up does work to some extent, but that just leads to camping in the back, which is bad in other ways. Basically there's a balance between DDs, cruisers, and BBs. And the CV doesn't give a crap about that balance, they crapon everyone equally. And that's why everyone hates them, because they distract from the main gameplay.

Awesome,thanks for the info. Yes, alpha rockets means the initial damage, that makes sense in the context I've seen it. 

Would you also know if buying both rocket planes upgrades on the lex allows me to switch between them in a match or can I only choose one in the module screen? 

I definitely see your point on the concealment factor, but I've had games where the enemy just moves as a heard in one direction and it ends up not being worth it to fly bombers or rockets in. 

I think players need to use the division feature more and get on the same page of moving in groups. Maybe DD strategy needs to evolve into staying with larger ships more often. These European Skane and such have really good AA and could move in the larger pack. But I mean u got thousands of battles of experience so you know more than me lol. 

Are ranked, clan, and pro games much different than random games? Players are so disorganized in random, I can see how the CV is so strong inthose.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,476 posts
13,117 battles
16 minutes ago, Merc_R_Us said:

Hi all, so I never really explored the forums or anything until now. I keep seeing the terms Alpha rockets and RNG; what do these mean?

Also, I've been saving my credits to buy the midway but I'm curious about the rocket situation on the Lexington; when it was time to upgrade the rocket planes I went with the tiny Tim since I'm fairly comfortable hitting dds with less rockets, but now I'm wondering; if I bought both rocket upgrades, am I able to switch between them in a match? I'd spend the credits to buy it but I am 5 million away from the midway so I'm saving everything I can.

Also completely different topic, what's with all the hate against CVs? I swear everyone hates them but if they would just group up their stupid ships and packs of three, there's nothing I can do, especially in the later parts of the game where I've lost planes.

No, you cannot switch between them during a match. I'm not a fan of Tiny Tims, and normally run HVAR's for the more consistent results against DD's (in the case of Lexington it's 6 rockets v/s 24 rockets)

Another reason I'm not a fan of  Tiny Tims (and probably won't like AP rockets much either) is role overlap.Tiny Tims (and the incoming AP rockets) are mostly anti-cruiser weapons. Almost every CV has torpedo bombers with better survivability for that role. Also, USN and RN CV's have HE bombers of some kind that also work on anything, with the IJN and Germans getting AP bombs that work on anything with enough armor to set them off.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,924 posts

alpha usually refers to how much damage you can do in a single shot (or salvo)...  dpm is damage per minute..

I am new to the planes and rockets not sure how the alpha balances out for dpm.. whether there is such a thing as a high alpha rocket vs a low alpha, they maybe balanced by some planes carry more rockets that do less damage vs others carry fewer rockets that do more damage...

Now this is usually balanced out so a ship could have high alpha so it does alot of damage in one shot, but this will usually be balanced out by a low rate of fire or ROF.

A different ship may have low alpha, but high ROF, to balance out so that both ships have the same dpm.

and as tier goes up so typically does DPM

Personally i prefer hi alpha low rof... less time spent aiming and potentially less time exposed to enemy fire or less time not perhaps showing more side than i would like.  The price is in the event you miss... that's alot of damage you just lost for dpm...    a high rof such as in ships like cruisers and destroyers... they may get 5 shots in the same time a BB gets one shot... if they miss even a couple, it doesn't hurt their dpm as much.

Sign in to follow this