You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Bereavement

How Would you Buff DDs?

108 comments in this topic

Members
139 posts
2,608 battles

I'm honestly curious how the community would come up with creative ideas to bring DDs back up to being a bit more enjoyable and competitive in random. Stuff like remove CV's isn't going to happen and isn't really constructive, so aside from that, what do you guys have? Some ideas, need not all apply:

• Global health increase for the majority of DDs
  • Global speed increase for majority of DDs (not french).
  • Give radar more charges but significantly decrease duration
  • Give DD's rocket protection similar to BB's torpedo protection
  • Radar needs line of sight (won't go through islands)
  • Further decrease air detection range of DDs.
  • Increase torpedo reload speed on torp boats significantly, but lower damage to compensate.
  • Decrease radar range and/or lower active duration
  • Increase smoke charges but lower duration and cooldown
  • ect

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 2

[RKLES]
Members
964 posts

1. Radar can't "see" through solid objects

2. Reduce plane spotting to CV  and relay position information only to ships with ~10km.

• Cool 2

[WOLFC]
Members
2,340 posts

Seriously, I'm pretty much a DD main now and am enjoying games more then ever.  Don't see the need.

• Cool 6

[CLUMP]
Members
1,505 posts
2,170 battles

Depending on the DD CV aircraft has to be literally on top of DD to spot it :Smile_hiding: Forget about finding it in smoke because it won't happen :Smile_sceptic: 

Edited by LastRemnant
  • Cool 2

[KWF]
Members
5,771 posts
7,007 battles

Most DDs are in a decent spot, so I don't think they should be touched, aside from certain lines that are pretty powercreeped right now.

What WG should instead consider is the rate at which they constantly introduce ships at higher tiers with enormous alpha capability, insane velocities, ballistics and high RoF.

• Cool 2

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

Nothing, overall DDs were fine, of corse a couple ships could use a buff or nerf here and there, but DDs in general were fine. 

The problem is not with DDs, but with CVs and the lack of counterplay to them. In no CVs battles, DDs are fine, in Cvs battles where the CV is bad or leaves you alone, DDs are fine. WG needs to give us skill based counter agaisnt CVs. 

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,618 battles

Here are some you haven't listed:

1). Make ALL DD guns dual purpose guns, thus increasing DD AA protection.

2). Give ALL DDs DFAA, and make it work like it used to in the old RTS meta.

3). Allow DDs (in fact all ships) to select a target for their AA and eliminate the ridiculous sector system AA.

And as far as your suggestions go ....

9 minutes ago, Bereavement said:

Global health increase for the majority of DDs

Not a bad idea, but it would seriously screw up the current HP meta of basing ship HP on tonnage.

10 minutes ago, Bereavement said:

Global speed increase for majority of DDs (not french).

Actually, I'd rather see the other classes of ship's speeds nerfed back to realistic values than continue up to unrealistic values for all ships, which is where we're headed.

11 minutes ago, Bereavement said:

Give radar more charges but significantly decrease duration

What would be the difference?

12 minutes ago, Bereavement said:

Give DD's rocket protection similar to BB's torpedo protection

Easier to up DD AA.

13 minutes ago, Bereavement said:

Radar needs line of sight (won't go through islands)

This should have happened YEARS ago.

14 minutes ago, Bereavement said:

Further decrease air detection range of DDs.

They'd never get spotted; DD spotting ranges being very low now.

15 minutes ago, Bereavement said:

Increase torpedo reload speed on torp boats significantly, but lower damage to compensate.

Have you played the Swedish DDs yet? Not just NO, but HELL NO!!

16 minutes ago, Bereavement said:

Decrease radar range and/or lower active duration

Lower the ranges and remove the add-ons which boost duration.

17 minutes ago, Bereavement said:

Increase smoke charges but lower duration and cooldown

Nah!

And one last thought ..... 

10 minutes ago, Anonymous50 said:

Seriously, I'm pretty much a DD main now and am enjoying games more then ever.  Don't see the need.

Please, you are one of the biggest CV defenders on the Forum, so of course you would be against ANYTHING which would balance out the CV vs DD equation. Given your stance in God knows how many posts in this Forum, your opinion on this particular subject is easily ignored.

• Cool 1

Members
674 posts
5,358 battles

-CV, hydro and radar wont relay the spots to the rest of the team

-remove concealment bonus from smoke against surface ships (keep it against planes), surface ships will have a large accuracy penalty when firing ships in smoke

[RLGN]
Members
15,645 posts
27,355 battles
14 minutes ago, Xlap said:

WG needs to give us skill based counter agaisnt CVs. 

In a way I would love this; mostly because many would likely forget about it until it’s too late/ignore such ‘manual’ AA; making it extremely easy to attack them.

The flip side would be the delicious howls of protest over having to be distracted from farming, just to defend against air attacks.

6 minutes ago, Umikami said:

This should have happened YEARS ago. (no radar through islands.)

Considering how long it took to get ‘demount all,’ I’m sure they’ll fix it sometime around 2025.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Members
139 posts
2,608 battles
11 minutes ago, Umikami said:

3). Allow DDs (in fact all ships) to select a target for their AA and eliminate the ridiculous sector system AA.

And as far as your suggestions go ....

Not a bad idea, but it would seriously screw up the current HP meta of basing ship HP on tonnage.

Actually, I'd rather see the other classes of ship's speeds nerfed back to realistic values than continue up to unrealistic values for all ships, which is where we're headed.

What would be the difference?

Easier to up DD AA.

This should have happened YEARS ago.

They'd never get spotted; DD spotting ranges being very low now.

Have you played the Swedish DDs yet? Not just NO, but HELL NO!!

Lower the ranges and remove the add-ons which boost duration.

Nah!

And one last thought ..... 

Please, you are one of the biggest CV defenders on the Forum, so of course you would be against ANYTHING which would balance out the CV vs DD equation. Given your stance in God knows how many posts in this Forum, your opinion on this particular subject is easily ignored.

Yeah, I think increasing AA values for DD's might be one of the simplest fixes. That and a modest hp increase would go a long way in increasing survivability.

If radar only lasted for say, 6 seconds but had more charges you'd only have a very brief window to be fired at, but the downside is it would happen more often. Just throwing ideas out there not saying it's a good one.

Edited by Bereavement

Members
1,500 posts
11,501 battles

destroyers dont need buffing, this is called power creep, buffing things to match overpowered new releases or results of previous buffs.

DD are already the strongest and most impactful surface ship in the game disregarding the cv abomination.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

[SIM]
Members
5,787 posts
9,263 battles

I’d add a tutorial to help bad DD players understand what they’re doing wrong. 

• Cool 1

Members
139 posts
2,608 battles
2 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

I’d add a tutorial to help bad DD players understand what they’re doing wrong. 

One class of ships shouldn't need a tutorial because it's that much harder to play. If the skill ceiling to play right is that high, something is wrong.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
1,420 posts
10,989 battles

DD's are good right now for playing.

It is the economy for the DD that really stinks.  So little seems to be rewarded for spotting, yet that spotting can turn the tide of the battle.

I hate it when I get focused or spotted by the CV and die, yet can only think that the BB at the end of game that I permaspot and harass with torpedoes must feel the same way about the invisible boat keeping him from being able to disappear and let the time run out on his team's victory. 

[--O--]
Members
994 posts

I am a DD main have been for over 4 years.

The DD's do not need Buffs with very few exceptions. Those being these Europian dd's they all need torp alpha damage buffs and increased main battery range if they cant have smoke. The other is the Shima, give it back its old torps. It is not the ships fault or the torps fault people go in nice strait line.

Thats it, other than that dd's and I have them or have played all of them to my knowledge.

[SALVO]
Members
26,116 posts
29,100 battles
51 minutes ago, Umikami said:

1. The reality is that not all DD guns ever were dual purpose and there should be no fake dual purpose guns.

2. Hell no.  If you're in a DD that already has good AA and DefAA, you can really do a lot of damage to those planes if you properly manage both your DefAA and your AA sectors.  And if you move close enough to a friendly ship to get some AA assistance, you can blap the heck out of those planes.

3. Don't be foolish.  There's nothing ridiculous about the AA sector system.  It's very easy to use, and if there are two squadrons attacking you at the same time in the same  sector, you'll get to attack them both.  And if the two squadrons are attacking you from different sides of your ship, just pick the sector with the planes that you're more concerned about.

Another problem that I have with selecting squadrons to be targeted is that at times it can be VERY difficult to move my cursor fast enough to catch up with the planes.  I ***MUCH*** prefer the sector system because I don't have to deal with trying to catch up to the planes on screen with my cursor.

• Cool 1

[SGSS]
Members
5,744 posts
1 hour ago, Bereavement said:

I'm honestly curious how the community would come up with creative ideas to bring DDs back up to being a bit more enjoyable and competitive in random. Stuff like remove CV's isn't going to happen and isn't really constructive, so aside from that, what do you guys have? Some ideas, need not all apply:

• Global health increase for the majority of DDs
  • Global speed increase for majority of DDs (not french).
  • Give radar more charges but significantly decrease duration
  • Give DD's rocket protection similar to BB's torpedo protection
  • Radar needs line of sight (won't go through islands)
  • Further decrease air detection range of DDs.
  • Increase torpedo reload speed on torp boats significantly, but lower damage to compensate.
  • Decrease radar range and/or lower active duration
  • Increase smoke charges but lower duration and cooldown
  • ect

There are still 4 dd per game. They can still sit in smoke and have perfict aim and perfict aa with out spotting anything them.selves. they still have the most devistating weapon in the game and its unlimited.

There fine.

Besides all dd quit after US light cruiser came out with radar...no they did not.  But then they quit after the cv rework...o yea there is still 4 dd per game.

The only fix needed is the whine

[SALVO]
Members
26,116 posts
29,100 battles
24 minutes ago, Mustangrde1 said:

I am a DD main have been for over 4 years.

The DD's do not need Buffs with very few exceptions. Those being these Europian dd's they all need torp alpha damage buffs and increased main battery range if they cant have smoke. The other is the Shima, give it back its old torps. It is not the ships fault or the torps fault people go in nice strait line.

Thats it, other than that dd's and I have them or have played all of them to my knowledge.

The point of the Swedish DDs is that they do low alpha with their torps, but do seem to get a fair number of flooding hits and make their targets vulnerable to DoTs.  As for more gun range on the Swedish DDs, I don't agree.  More gun range won't be particularly valuable, given how floaty their shells already are.  And it would just make it more difficult for a Swedish DD to escape into stealth with a longer range on the gun bloom penalty.

As for the Shima, I don't think that its 20km torps should make a comeback.  The game doesn't need people in DDs spamming torps from 20km.  What the Shima, and frankly IJN DDs in general, need is to have their torps have a lower detection range, because it doesn't matter how powerful the warheads are if it's difficult to land torp hits in the first place because they get spotted from the moon.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
26,116 posts
29,100 battles
Just now, jags_domain said:

There are still 4 dd per game. They can still sit in smoke and have perfict aim and perfict aa with out spotting anything them.selves. they still have the most devistating weapon in the game and its unlimited.

There fine.

Besides all dd quit after US light cruiser came out with radar...no they did not.  But then they quit after the cv rework...o yea there is still 4 dd per game.

The only fix needed is the whine

Actually, no, DDs cannot just sit in smoke and have perfect aim unless someone else is spotting for them, because they can't spot for themselves, unless using radar or hydro.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,618 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

The reality is that not all DD guns ever were dual purpose and there should be no fake dual purpose guns.

Yeah, because everything else in this arcade game is strictly historical, like CVs that don't burn, flood, or detonate while they endlessly regenerate aircraft, cuz that actually happened. That is probably the weakest, lamest, most useless reason for not making all DD guns dual purpose. Reality? Really? Where?

4 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Hell no.  If you're in a DD that already has good AA and DefAA, you can really do a lot of damage to those planes if you properly manage both your DefAA and your AA sectors.  And if you move close enough to a friendly ship to get some AA assistance, you can blap the heck out of those planes.

Nonsense; the sector system only insures that you can ONLY protect one side of your ship at a time. Screw it, throw it out, and give us real, targetable AA back.

6 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Don't be foolish.  There's nothing ridiculous about the AA sector system.  It's very easy to use, and if there are two squadrons attacking you at the same time in the same  sector, you'll get to attack them both.  And if the two squadrons are attacking you from different sides of your ship, just pick the sector with the planes that you're more concerned about.

A system designed to insure that only one side of your ship gets AA protection, and that the planes just attack from the other side. Total trash, remove it and give us back the RTS AA which we can manually focus.

8 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Another problem that I have with selecting squadrons to be targeted is that at times it can be VERY difficult to move my cursor fast enough to catch up with the planes.  I ***MUCH*** prefer the sector system because I don't have to deal with trying to catch up to the planes on screen with my cursor.

Well then, we'll let you keep yours but I'd rather have AA that works to cover the whole ship so I don't have to worry about that second attack.

• Cool 2

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
38,169 battles
1 hour ago, Anonymous50 said:

You're an Asashio main. Over 700 games in it, 40% of all your DD games. Your next most played DD is Friesland -- 276 games. You have nearly 1000 games in gimmick botes. You only have over 100 games in just 4 DDs. You don't main DDs. You just main Asashio. 

• Cool 1