Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Florendo19

Clarification on UTC Time

5 comments in this topic

[PT]
Members
377 posts
7,662 battles

WG will often post things in reference to specific times with UTC as the given standard. UTC is the Coordinated Universal Time. If you are or were confused with what this meant (like me) this is also commonly refereed to as Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). So for those of us confused by something like "the EN twitch stream is on April 9 at 14:00 UTC" just switch UTC to GMT. I know I'm not the only one confused with "WG posting times in weird Russian time zones" so hopefully this saves someone else the time looking up TLAs (three letter acronyms) for time zones and finding UTC is not a time zone but a time standard.

[WMD]
Members
1,898 posts
10,651 battles

UTC is also called Zulu(Z) time, used all the time in the military and civil aviation. 

METAR CYTR 092000Z 28018G31KT 15SM SCT045 09/M00 A2932 RMK SC3 SLP930=

TAF CYTR 091730Z 0918/1018 30020G30KT P6SM SCT040 TEMPO 0918/0921 BKN040
BECMG 0921/0923 29015G25KT
FM100200 28015G25KT P6SM BKN030
BECMG 1014/1016 32015G25KT
RMK NXT FCST BY 100000Z=

• Boring 1

[PDCB]
Members
516 posts
9,392 battles

If you type "[hour] utc" on Google search bar, it'll show a small box with your local time and the utc time.

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,783 posts
1 hour ago, Florendo19 said:

WG will often post things in reference to specific times with UTC as the given standard. UTC is the Coordinated Universal Time. If you are or were confused with what this meant (like me) this is also commonly refereed to as Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). So for those of us confused by something like "the EN twitch stream is on April 9 at 14:00 UTC" just switch UTC to GMT. I know I'm not the only one confused with "WG posting times in weird Russian time zones" so hopefully this saves someone else the time looking up TLAs (three letter acronyms) for time zones and finding UTC is not a time zone but a time standard.

GMT is an actual time zone. UTC is universal time, it is not a time zone.

GMT has a zero off set from UTC, so it shares the same current time as UTC, but that's the difference between the two.

In practice as far as figuring out what time that means for you, you are correct and they are interchangeable, due to the zero off set.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
20,163 posts
13,049 battles
2 hours ago, Florendo19 said:

I just type "1400 UTC to EST" in Google and it spits out the answer and factors in Daylight Savings time. Otherwise, for the east coast of the US, subtract 4 hours during Daylight Savings time and 5 hours during the standard time. Google is easier if you have the PC or phone to hand.

Sign in to follow this