You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Rokkator

Is Anshan Still Good?

18 comments in this topic

Members
173 posts
12,057 battles

So Anshan is now available for 40,000 coal in the Armory. 
image.png.18681905c8fdbef4db21fe6c02fb9021.png

I have all the high-tier coal ships I wanted (Georgia, JB, Smol, Thunderer) and I'm not interested in Marceau, Salem, or Yoshino.
I remember hearing that the Anshan was pretty darn good... but that was about 3 years ago. 

Is she still worth getting? I love DDs, but I am not a huge fan of the Pan-Asian ones... however, I know Anshan doesn't quite mesh with them. (No DW torps is a plus for me)

Thoughts?

[KSE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,732 posts
18,828 battles

Anshan plays like a tier 6 version of the Gremyaschy.  Great boat at its release, has been power-creeped a bit by some many other DD lines since then.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,322 posts
17,285 battles

Anshan: 10/10 would buy again, but I say this in the context of someone who DOES run Pan-Asian destroyers and finds the Anshan very useful for retraining/promoting captains. 

Mind you, if you have the Huang He, she's probably just as useful for that and you could save your coal for something else; but if you'd rather have a destroyer for whatever reason, then go nuts.

In a lot of ways she's a Gnevny with an option of longer range torps, but she's still got the glacial turret rotation that Gnevny used to have. Main Battery Mod 1 looks good on her, and so (if you have a higher point captain) does Expert Marksman.

• Cool 2

[PPFV]
[PPFV]
Members
341 posts
29 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

In a lot of ways she's a Gnevny with an option of longer range torps, but she's still got the glacial turret rotation that Gnevny used to have. Main Battery Mod 1 looks good on her, and so (if you have a higher point captain) does Expert Marksman.

I second this. With MBM1 and EM she's a good enough ship, but without them I find her actively painful to play. So, if you have a captain with at least 12 points to spare  (because you do also need the other standard DD skills in addition to EM), go for it. Otherwise... eh.

[PRVTR]
Members
1,119 posts
5,549 battles

I recently got the Anshan for 40k coal. It's such a great ship, thanks to her flat ballistic arcs and HE shells that hit like a truck, plus the 8km torps which have good speed, decent damage, and a quick reload, not to mention the decent HP pool.

BUT THAT DAMN TURRET TRAVERSE!!!!!!! :etc_swear:REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE:etc_swear:

:SerB:

Edited by Shrayes_Bhagavatula
  • Cool 1

[COSTA]
Members
219 posts
7,857 battles

I ran it in Aegis yesterday.  It’s great when you know where the red ships are going to be and can move your turrets accordingly.

[H_]
Members
762 posts
12,602 battles
8 minutes ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

BUT THAT DAMN TURRET TRAVERSE!!!!!!! :etc_swear:REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE:etc_swear:

This.. other than this the ship is fine..  Turrets will not track with fast course changes..  which is decidedly deadly if your in a gun fight with a ship that has faster turrets.  Gun's hit hard but keeping them on target can be a challenge. 

• Cool 1

[FAE]
Members
2,622 posts
3,662 battles

No. 
her tier is too low for training. A win is about the same as a loss in high tier. A loss in mid tier almost a waste of time. The upside is you can play mid tier if that’s more relaxing. 

its true she’s been power creeped. I’d argue she basically sucks: the turret traverse is soooooo bad that she needs both EM and the turret turn module and for you to not make too many course corrections while firing. Three different needs to overcome. Frankly the RU DDs and the RU BBs turret traverses should have been reversed. GD dumb BB line that was. 
at tier6 it takes even longer to get those 12 skill points. And nothing else really wants her captain.  Bajie??? Lol. No you don’t want last stand. So bad. 

her guns are anemic and barely ever pen nor set fires. The range is poor and doesn’t allow you to simply gunboat all day. The torpedoes are also anemic and not enough and easily dodged. The concealment can be seen from the moon. 

id almost say just go no concealment and full gunboat. But the HE just shatters at long range and the DPM and fires are so poor. There’s no point. 

go play Huang he. I can’t believe I’m pushing that over Anshan. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[SOUP]
Modder
8,915 posts
1 hour ago, Rokkator said:

So Anshan is now available for 40,000 coal in the Armory. 
image.png.18681905c8fdbef4db21fe6c02fb9021.png

I have all the high-tier coal ships I wanted (Georgia, JB, Smol, Thunderer) and I'm not interested in Marceau, Salem, or Yoshino.
I remember hearing that the Anshan was pretty darn good... but that was about 3 years ago. 

Is she still worth getting? I love DDs, but I am not a huge fan of the Pan-Asian ones... however, I know Anshan doesn't quite mesh with them. (No DW torps is a plus for me)

Thoughts?

Anshan is a pretty solid boat. I didn't play her much but she has her moments. For the price and given the other option is Marblehead, Anshan isn't a bad choice

29 minutes ago, LadyAnesjka said:

Yoshino

Waw, geez, no need to yell, you can use regular-sized font y'know

• Funny 1

Members
173 posts
12,057 battles

Well, I've had my eye on Anshan for a long time and nothing I heard here was a big enough RED FLAG to stop me... so I got it. 

If my first battle, (admittedly a T6 battle) is any indication, she's a keeper. Thanks for the advice!

image.thumb.png.d2df03b15f4295bb8ba3971f32246b80.pngimage.thumb.png.cc48e752b63daa628abc328d7ede87d4.png

Not a ridiculously good battle, but I had fun, and that's what I care about in a ship. 

• Cool 1

[ACES_]
Members
4 posts
1,303 battles

How do you get long range torps please? Mine are only 4km. Makes it a bit of a dud, given the slow turret traverse.

LOL module is already there - what a dummy

Edited by x_Tool_x

[INTEL]
Members
1,778 posts
15,913 battles
On 4/9/2020 at 4:14 PM, BlailBlerg said:

No. 
her tier is too low for training. A win is about the same as a loss in high tier. A loss in mid tier almost a waste of time. The upside is you can play mid tier if that’s more relaxing. 

her guns are anemic and barely ever pen nor set fires. The range is poor and doesn’t allow you to simply gunboat all day. The torpedoes are also anemic and not enough and easily dodged. The concealment can be seen from the moon. 

id almost say just go no concealment and full gunboat. But the HE just shatters at long range 

This is a bit late but... wth are you talking about?!

You might have issues with xp in T6 wins, I certainly dont. It's pretty easy to clear 1500 base in a t6 win with any DD, not so easy in a loss at any tier.

Ah yes, those notoriously weak and universally panned 130mm RU guns. The many matches I've suffered through using those high velocity flat arc shells. The horror of shooting AP only to be penalized with citadel ribbons on cruisers. 

Oh yes the HE shatters that never happen to any other DD caliber guns. 

Yeah Anshan, and her sisters Gnevny and Fushun are terrible ships. In fact the entire RU DD tree is garbage because of those 130mm steaming piles.

Members
1,172 posts
1,672 battles

There are only really 2 weaknesses: 

1. Definitely fit a modification to the turret traverse
  2. "By this time her AA had been significantly enhanced" enhanced my hat %#&@

[PN]
WoWS Community Contributors
951 posts
16,104 battles

Hi @Rokkator, the An Shan in my opinion is still a great boat to pick up.

She is a premium boat for coal now as you stipulated and quite affordable. Having standing torpedoes instead of Deep Water ones allows her to contest caps a little easier early on. If you can play the Gnevy and other class of Soviet era DDs with their turret rotation and concealment ranges you will find the boat very enjoyable.

She can stealth torp as a bonus, the smoke isn't the same as the standard Pan Asia destroyer line though.

Id honestly get this boat, more so if you are grinding the Pan Asia DD line and want a captain re-trainer. For that cost of coal, that alone is worth it and means you can progress up the line without spending doubloons on respeccing a captain if that is your want.