You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hans_Mo1eman

Advice on light and heavy cruiser lines

32 comments in this topic

[IGL]
Members
48 posts
3,143 battles

I'm a new player and I'm mostly playing t3 to t5 to try out a bunch of different lines and see what I enjoy. This includes mostly CA and BB lines since DDs seem more technical difficult (I'll get to those later). I am interested in primarily PVP mode.

I have tried (and continue to work on) several cruiser lines. All except the French actually (maybe I'll try those too but there is only so much time for WOWs). At t3 and 4 I love the UK cruisers and I'm wondering what line to focus on for t5 and up - I've heard the light CA line is very difficult to play but is more similar to the t3 and t4 ships I've enjoyed. Is the heavy cruiser line similar to USN heavy CA line? My thought was to eventually do USN heavy and UK light cruisers. I mean I could do both lines for both nations and see what's more fun but that is a lot of work. Eventually I would like to get past experimenting while learning basics and get to mastering a small number of ships/lines. I'm just seeing some branches coming up in these lines and I'm trying to plan my captain skills accordingly (I've left many skills unassigned for now as I want to choose ones that will work well for the whole line - which I can do after choosing a line). I've been thinking of using the UK heavy line because I could get Exeter as a trainer if I decide I like it (i really want to like the Exeter because of the historical perspective and it looks like a really fun ship).

TLDR: Looking for advice from experienced players on which branch of USN and UK cruisers to focus on? I am looking for fun ships and I am the kind of player that will watch youtube and replays and really focus on improving my play with a particular boat so high skill ceiling is preferred (I don't really want a ship that has only one main gimmick or strength that limits its strategy and forces the same predictable play every match). 

PS: I'm only at t3 with Russia and Germany and t2 with IJN cruisers so I will definitely try those lines up to t5 or so before I decide which line to focus on more. Advice on those lines is welcome too but I dont think they have branches like the other lines. 

Thanks everyone! As a new player I can say most people in this forum have been awesome and I'm liking the community here.

[TAZ]
Members
877 posts

Th light cruiser line for any nation is (CL), the heavy cruisers are (CA).  CL gun caliber is smaller than 202 mm, CA gun caliber 203 and above.  The CLs are usually HE spammers with quick rate of fire, while the CAs are deadly b/c of larger gun caliber.  Also UK CLs only fire armour piercing (AP) shells,  so your chance of causing fire is minimal. Master the lower tiers before you jump to tiers VIII and above, you will enjoy it more once you get there.

Members
12,597 posts
14,320 battles

If you are wanting to learn Cruiser gameplay I highly recommend the Japanese cruiser line. It tends to be far more forgiving on newer players.

• Cool 2

[PELTS]
Beta Testers
2,111 posts
28,752 battles

Welcome Hans. 

imo the UK cruiser line is a very different play style than the USNs because it only has AP plus they are very squishy.  So for your first line if those are your two choices I would recommend the USN.  The light line is more like what you are used to and therefore probably good for you.  They fire faster than the heavy line, but do less direct damage.  For me personally I like the German and Japanese cruiser lines since they have less lofty shells than the USN line.

Good luck.

[RLGN]
Members
15,645 posts
27,355 battles

Exeter is a good ship.

Stay alive, and with her good hydro and hard hitting guns, she can be brutal to destroyers trying for late game caps.

[IGL]
Members
48 posts
3,143 battles
11 minutes ago, Merc85 said:

Welcome Hans. 

imo the UK cruiser line is a very different play style than the USNs because it only has AP plus they are very squishy.  So for your first line if those are your two choices I would recommend the USN.  The light line is more like what you are used to and therefore probably good for you.  They fire faster than the heavy line, but do less direct damage.  For me personally I like the German and Japanese cruiser lines since they have less lofty shells than the USN line.

Good luck.

Are you suggesting I that I should try both the CL lines and leave the CA lines for later? I do realize the difference between the UK and USN cruisers. I dont mind the all AP with better pen angles on the UK CL so far, in fact I find this combination with the 2x torp tubes allows for a great flanking ship. Does the UK CA line also have the better AP?

11 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

If you are wanting to learn Cruiser gameplay I highly recommend the Japanese cruiser line. It tends to be far more forgiving on newer players.

Thanks, I am definitely going to try IJN and other nation cruisers at least up t5 as well.

I am mostly looking for advice on which branch of UK and USN line try out. 

Members
12,597 posts
14,320 battles
1 minute ago, Hans_Mo1eman said:

Are you suggesting I that I should try both the CL lines and leave the CA lines for later? I do realize the difference between the UK and USN cruisers. I dont mind the all AP with better pen angles on the UK CL so far, in fact I find this combination with the 2x torp tubes allows for a great flanking ship. Does the UK CA line also have the better AP?

Thanks, I am definitely going to try IJN and other nation cruisers at least up t5 as well.

I am mostly looking for advice on which branch of UK and USN line try out. 

Des Moines line for USN and the Minotaur line for the UK.

Not sure yet about the heavy cruiser line for UK, and the light cruiser line for USN is very unforgiving for inexperienced players. I have a good amount of cruiser player under my belt and even I struggle with the USN CLs.

[MPIRE]
[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,821 posts
10,838 battles
10 minutes ago, Hans_Mo1eman said:

While this may be the experience with lower tier UK CLs, the gameplay shifts noticeably as you go up tiers.  In particular the maps get larger, the players get smarter, and overall everyone gets deadlier.  This is bad for UK light cruisers for several reasons:

First, larger maps means it's much harder to get on enemy flanks to put your AP to good use.  To compensate you'll need very good knowledge of not only the maps, but also how other players play their ships.  Unfortunately this only comes from experience playing those ships or seeing a lot of gameplay. 
Second, smarter enemies mean that you'll rarely have extended periods to put your AP to use unless the reds are pinned somehow.  You'll be fairly team reliant even with good play.
Finally, everyone being deadlier is much more notable when you have a giant citadel.  I would not be joking if I said UK CLs are one of the ships most likely to get devstruck in any given battle.

It sounds like you're looking for a more traditional flanking cruiser sort of playstyle.  I'd recommend the IJN CAs.  They have a fairly universal type of ammo in their buffed HE, good stealth to get flank opportunities, and loads of fairly long range torps in case they need to use them.

Members
978 posts
4,702 battles

Welcome around Hans!.

A piece of advise, I know it can be a little hard to understand for new players how WOWS mechanics work (I remember I struggled back then), but try to understand how “armor” works, and use the tech tree view to get an idea of the different lines.

I tell you this because in in the lower tiers there are plenty of “protected cruisers” and most lines have a shift (or two) in design and the lower tiers are often not representative of the mid/high tiers.

As previously suggested I would recommend trying the IJN cruisers to get a taste for mid/high tier, since that line shifts to CAs sonnet than the others.

Another tip is to use the wiki, most ships there have a recommended build, reviewing those builds (specially regarding capt. skills) can be useful when moving the capt. to the next ship (that way you can start picking skills that will be useful further into the line.

[H_]
Members
762 posts
12,617 battles

You never know about picking one line or the other, and only you can really decide which way to go. You may find you like the CA's better, more punch, longer range etc..  Starting with just the CL lines can be a bonus because they are more squishy; you will learn more map awareness, good ship positioning and learning to survive(dead ships don't contribute to the team, or your XP)

The UK CL line brings Smoke, torps and squishy, shorter range weapons, but are still very good. Leander and Fiji are in my opinion great ships, although the Leander is a bit more of a challenge in Randoms, Fiji holds it's own and some..  So not a bad line to run up.  Teaches a lot about ship positioning because of squishy and shorter range weapons.

USN - well.. higher rates of fire, rainbow type gun shell arcs, no torps, no smoke -  but i won't argue about the, Dallas,  Atlanta and Helena being fun to play, Boise ain't all that bad either..  slightly longer range weaponry then the UK..  and have HE, Leads to some higher tier ships that are dang good.

I personally ran up the IJN line mostly at first..  But you have to deal with slow turrets..  learning to pre-position your gun tubes can be an invaluable skill. 

French are not bad.  faster

Italian - umm.. i still find these to be strange and SAP rounds i'm not a fan of, although the High tier boats are very good.

So far in the Heavy cruiser line on the UK side, I have the London and Had the Devonshire and now at Surrey..  I liked the Devonshire and the Surrey so far i like as well.  Still Squishy from all angles but Pretty accurate guns and decent range and they have HE and torps.. Smoke is not a bad thing either.  

Edited by S16_Hunter

[WOLFG]
Members
1,062 posts

There are certain ships that are allot fun to play in each line.  In some cases, the tier X (forget tier IX, they are all horrible) may not be your cup of tea, but other ships on the way to get there could be lots of fun for you.  My suggestion is don't worry about specific lines.  Do your research and go for ships that look good to you up to tier seven or eight.  Fiji is a good example.  It's allot of fun, but Mino (tier X) is verrry challenging.  Then you can decide what tier Xs you want.  I am not a fan of CAs and preferred CLs until WG ruined most of them with the IFHE nerf.  But some CAs are fun to play.  

[SALVO]
Members
6,944 posts
5,502 battles

Hi OP, welcome to the game.

I strongly recommend you try EVERY cruiser line up to tier 7, the reasons are:

• You get more experience under your belt, rushing up one line to high tiers with under 1-2K matches is not a very good idea. The play style is very different in high tier and environment lethality increases.
  • Every line has its own quirks and gimmicks that usually start to settle from tier 5 and above, playing just to tier 5 won't give you a full idea of some lines.
  • Every line is enjoyable in its own way and teach you some fundamental skill, you will be a better rounded player by expanding your experience.

In a nutshell, the fundamental skills for the lines are:

• USN CL: Use of hard cover (islands) and indirect fire, you'll be raining primarily HE from out of sight places.
  • USN CA: Gun handling and aiming, your strong suit are good heavy hitting guns (for a CA)
  • RN CL: Staying alive, positioning and dodge, aiming; you are extremely squishy and every body knows this, yet you don't have long range guns plus only AP shells. I somewhat difficult line but very effective if mastered.
  • RN CA: Positioning, effective use of armor angling; you have some endurance and something resembling armor to work with, just think of it as "training armor", it won't hold under real fire.
  • IJN CA: maybe the standard of what is to be a CA, very similar ships from T5 onward
  • KMS CL/CA: shifts from T7 onwards from CL to CA, different play style than preceding ships

Members
7,122 posts
22,043 battles

I would go with IJN. They play similarly to a DD and will help you learn about detection values and using torps. One of the biggest mistakes players make is trying to use their torps and in doing so they show broadside and get deleted...aka suicide torps. By Working with IJN cruisers they will also teach how to kite while using your stealth, guns and torps.

US Ships have very different playstyles as well as most of the other lines. Playing a line that is detected easier may be more frustrating as you get better at the game.

Beta Testers
1,045 posts
4,704 battles

I think you have it right. If you want to play those nations I would go USN CAs and UK CLs. I personally like the wooster more than the DM, but it for sure is harder to play. The mino is one of my favourite ships. I haven't played and probably will not play the UK CAs, as they look very uninspired to say the least.

Members
712 posts
9,737 battles

14 posts in this topic and not one mention of Russian cruisers.

(FWIW RU line will split soon but currently consists mostly of long-ranged kiting/sniper CLs with good gun performance and poor armor. Run and gun play style with radar at high tier. Budyonny, Shchors, Moskva are highlights.)

French and German lines are very good too IMO. Not sure why they aren't getting much love here either.

All 3 of those lines are easier for a new player than RN CLs.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

[IGL]
Members
48 posts
3,143 battles

Thanks so much everyone.  I appreciate the time people are taking to answer my question and explaining it really well. Too many to quote here.

I'm hearing a lot of people saying it's a lot about individual ships not just a line. Im also hearing that its important to try several lines up to at least t7 to get an idea of the end game flavour. Lots of suggestions to go for IJN cruisers as the standard training model. For the lines with more than one branch, I might try the USN CAs as most have recommended and take the CL branch of the UK line to the Fiji (eventually, it is gonna take some time to get this far and I'm not making the mistake of rushing up the tiers trust me - I've learned that lesson the hard way in other PVP games).

You guys are great. Appreciate the advice.

[IGL]
Members
48 posts
3,143 battles
10 minutes ago, Dr_Powderfinger said:

14 posts in this topic and not one mention of Russian cruisers.

(FWIW RU line will split soon but currently consists mostly of long-ranged kiting/sniper CLs with good gun performance and poor armor. Run and gun play style with radar at high tier. Budyonny, Shchors, Moskva are highlights.)

French and German lines are very good too IMO. Not sure why they aren't getting much love here either.

All 3 of those lines are easier for a new player than RN CLs.

Yes. I've seen a few replays with people doing well in these. I've kinda lagged behind with this line (T3) because I was practicing torpedoes on the UK,USN, and Italy lines so got more exp there. 

Will definitely get the Russia and IJN ships going this weekend. 

I also have a slight bias away from Russian line because it is mostly fake ships and I'm worried OP imaginary garbage will eventually ruin this game the way its ruining WOT.

Edited by Hans_Mo1eman

[GRETA]
[GRETA]
Members
602 posts
19,213 battles

Cruisers in WOWS have very distinct flavors. These are just some general overviews. You have to play them to figure out their individual quirks.

American, light - high rate of fire, high shell arcs. Primarily HE spammers with light armor. Ideal support cruisers with wide variety of consumables. Excellent anti-aircraft platforms.

American, heavy - average rate of fire (until T10). AP shells from American 203mm guns have improved bounce angles and penetration. Access to "superheavy" 203mm AP shells at tier 8, characterized by their excellent penetration but long flight times. Good armor when bow-on. Has radar at high tiers.

Japanese, heavy - slow rate of fire compensated by extremely tight dispersion. Improved HE damage and fire chance. Ideal long range snipers and HE slingers. Excellent concealment allows flanking and ambush attacks. Lacks radar, but possess powerful long range torpedoes. Best when kiting enemies and luring them into unsuspecting torpedoes.

German, light/heavy - improved HE penetration compensates for low HE damage and fire chance. High AP damage on broadside targets, even against battleships. Weak armor at low tiers, good brawlers at high tiers. Starting at T8, cruisers of this line become extremely difficult to citadel at close range due to turtleback armor scheme. Vulnerable at long range, however. Possess improved, longer ranged hydroaccoustics and numerous short ranged torpedoes. Ideal for brawling.

Russian, light - long range HE spammers up until tier 10. Extremely high velocity guns allow for ease of aiming with very flat shell trajectories. Very high shell penetration despite carrying smaller caliber guns. (Especially 180mm guns) Weak armor compensated by high rate of fire combined with extremely long range radar. Radar range exceeds concealment range at high tiers. Bane of destroyers.

French, light/heavy - exceptionally fast with speed boost consumable. Primarily long range HE spammers. Tier 10 possess 240mm guns which can bully some light cruisers of same and lower tiers. High burst damage with reload booster active. Spaced armor profile can sometimes result in 0 damage penetrations from enemy AP shells.

UK, light - unique AP shells that arm quickly, even against thin armor plates. Improved AP pen angles. Ideal destroyer hunters when equipped with radar, very powerful defensive unit against enemy pushes when equipped with smokescreen. Possess "single fire" torpedoes to lock down choke points. Lacks HE shells and very weak armor. Has improved repair party.

UK, heavy - medium range fire support. Slow rate of fire. Boast the same improved repair party as their light cruiser cousins. Spaced armor profile grants better protection against AP shells. High durability at the cost of damage ceiling and consumable utility. Lacks radar.

Italian, heavy - unique SAP shells that pack more power than conventional AP shells. Ideal against destroyers and broadside battleships. Very high velocity guns allows for shorter target leads, great for long range shooting. Possess unique "fuel smoke" ability that conceals the ship for a short time, even at max speed. High top speed and able to make surprisingly tight turns (very sports car-like). Lacks HE but possess long range torpedoes. Only cruiser line unable to mount  hydroaccoustics.

So, pick your poison. My recommendations are:

Team play: American, British light, or Russian. (Radar, AA)

Aggression: Japanese, German, Italian. (Alpha damage)

Hit and run: French, Italian or Japanese (Mobility and long range torps)

Tanking: British heavy, Russian heavy*

*Russian heavies are WIP, but they are essentially immune to most AP shells when bow-tanking thanks to their 50mm icebreaker bow and main deck.

Edited by AbyssAngkor
  • Cool 1

[SGSS]
Members
5,744 posts
3 hours ago, Hans_Mo1eman said:

I'm a new player and I'm mostly playing t3 to t5 to try out a bunch of different lines and see what I enjoy. This includes mostly CA and BB lines since DDs seem more technical difficult (I'll get to those later). I am interested in primarily PVP mode.

I have tried (and continue to work on) several cruiser lines. All except the French actually (maybe I'll try those too but there is only so much time for WOWs). At t3 and 4 I love the UK cruisers and I'm wondering what line to focus on for t5 and up - I've heard the light CA line is very difficult to play but is more similar to the t3 and t4 ships I've enjoyed. Is the heavy cruiser line similar to USN heavy CA line? My thought was to eventually do USN heavy and UK light cruisers. I mean I could do both lines for both nations and see what's more fun but that is a lot of work. Eventually I would like to get past experimenting while learning basics and get to mastering a small number of ships/lines. I'm just seeing some branches coming up in these lines and I'm trying to plan my captain skills accordingly (I've left many skills unassigned for now as I want to choose ones that will work well for the whole line - which I can do after choosing a line). I've been thinking of using the UK heavy line because I could get Exeter as a trainer if I decide I like it (i really want to like the Exeter because of the historical perspective and it looks like a really fun ship).

TLDR: Looking for advice from experienced players on which branch of USN and UK cruisers to focus on? I am looking for fun ships and I am the kind of player that will watch youtube and replays and really focus on improving my play with a particular boat so high skill ceiling is preferred (I don't really want a ship that has only one main gimmick or strength that limits its strategy and forces the same predictable play every match). 

PS: I'm only at t3 with Russia and Germany and t2 with IJN cruisers so I will definitely try those lines up to t5 or so before I decide which line to focus on more. Advice on those lines is welcome too but I dont think they have branches like the other lines. 

Thanks everyone! As a new player I can say most people in this forum have been awesome and I'm liking the community here.

I have all the crusier line to t10 save the IJN line.

The German line is the no on friendly line, then the French. I personaly dont think any line if fun until you get to t5.

Basicly light fires a 6 inch shell evry 7 sec and heavy fire a 8 inch shell every 12 sec.

In many ways the light are more powerful than the heavys 

[LOSC]
Members
595 posts

Listen to those that have 10K + battles. 

Be warry of those that post just to post, IE those that have more Post s than battles!!!

Members
1,500 posts
11,501 battles
Just now, Halli_SPARTA said:

Listen to those that have 10K + battles. 

Be warry of those that post just to post, IE those that have more Post s than battles!!!

number of battles does not mean intelligent and skillful, it just means you play alot 

Members
1,500 posts
11,501 battles

for a new player learning the game just go and buy a smolensk.

its super easy to play! its difficult to citadel at long range and its impossible to citadel with AP at close range so you will only take overpen damage.

it has incredibly well balanced dpm and fire starting abilities! especially because you can rain down on everything at around 20km!

smolensk has very good detection range meaning you can get the jump on some cruisers, it even has 2 sets of 8km torps if someone gets the jump on you!

it has ok AA but then again AA is dead content currently so that is not really a selling point.

finally you get your own smoke! you even get a hydro so you dont get torped in your smoke! 

its perfect for any new player or anyone that just wants to play with 1 hand while they eat or something, just smoke up and click on someone!

brought to you by the very competent balance team!

smolensk is literally a new players dream

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,815 posts
7,511 battles
8 minutes ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

for a new player learning the game just go and buy a smolensk.

its super easy to play! its difficult to citadel at long range and its impossible to citadel with AP at close range so you will only take overpen damage.

it has incredibly well balanced dpm and fire starting abilities! especially because you can rain down on everything at around 20km!

smolensk has very good detection range meaning you can get the jump on some cruisers, it even has 2 sets of 8km torps if someone gets the jump on you!

it has ok AA but then again AA is dead content currently so that is not really a selling point.

finally you get your own smoke! you even get a hydro so you dont get torped in your smoke! 

its perfect for any new player or anyone that just wants to play with 1 hand while they eat or something, just smoke up and click on someone!

brought to you by the very competent balance team!

smolensk is literally a new players dream

Can you buy a Smolensk?   

Members
1,500 posts
11,501 battles

i do not own one but i have 200k coal and 30k steel if i ever felt like lowering brain cells to find it appealing!

@iRA6E

Edited by ITZ_ACE_BABY