You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BaronVonTom

Spending doubs to get one Unique Commander and one Legendary Commander

43 comments in this topic

[PIZZA]
-Members-
1,181 posts
26,908 battles

I want to start by saying I am not the least bit mad about spending money to get these two captains.  My reason for posting is because during a world wide crisis and with people losing their jobs, spending an outrageous amount of money for two captains is about as heartless on WG's part as it gets.  I am retired, house is paid off and I have money coming in. I have plenty of "entertainment" money.    I have never really done the dice thing before so figured .....lets see what happens here.

It took 57 attempts out of 61 to get the two captains.   About 100 USA dollars.  I get 7500 doubs back through the campaign once finished so 70 bucks total for two captains.  Needless to say I will never spend money again on the "dice roll".  

Lets look at these captains.....the one with the long name has no special skills...nothing, and he comes to your port with 10pts. I stuck his useless butt on the tier 9 Swedish DD. This is where WG could have made money by giving this captain at least one special skill and make him only available through the dice roll with Swirski.  But nope.

Swirski has AA Gun aiming expert which is activated once you shoot down 20 planes (your continous aa damage goes up by 10% when activated). A good cv player should not be attacking this dd anyway because the AA is really good. He should only be spotting you. So this should never be activated if you are facing good cv players. The other skill is a 5% reduction in torpedo reload after getting 8 torp hits. This is not that hard to activate with 95 knot torps. BUT, 5% is only 4 secs so you go from 85 sec reload to 81 sec reload. You also get enhanced adrenaline capt skill for 2 pts.  Yes you get the colored tracers, signal flare when activating these skills, and pennant.  He comes to your port with 14 pts (for this amount of money, should have been 19pts).  I put this semi useless captain on the tier 10 Halland.

Yes you get a bunch of flags, coal and elite captain xp during the dice rolls.  I do like the dragon flags so not totally wasted money.

It is beyond my understanding that during a crisis and with people at home playing games.....wouldn't it make better sense to give folks a little bit of a break on stuff like this?  Would more people spend the doubs if say you have 30 chances???  Seems to me that WG continues to show how out of touch they are with public relations.  

Bottom line....spending doubloons is not worth getting Swirski. He just isnt worth it. Get him through the campaign.  Take your doubs and spend it on ships for doubloons or other things.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 2

[ARGSY]
Members
23,433 posts
17,387 battles
1 minute ago, BaronVonTom said:

My reason for posting is because during a world wide crisis and with people losing their jobs, spending an outrageous amount of money for two captains is about as heartless on WG's part as it gets.

Swirski is really the only one who matters. The other is a novelty captain with a meme name, based on a character from a darkly humorous Polish film.

You can get Swirski for free by playing the current campaign, always assuming you have the ships for it. So don't give me the "heartless-money grabbing WG" sob-story.

I decided I'd buy them if they fell into the first slot but I wouldn't go chasing; easier and cheaper to play the campaign.

Swirski's going to be in the shop for some big heap of coal one day, anyway. Therefore, free. So again, you can stop with the sob-story.

Anyone who pays more than 500 doubloons for him is IMHO a fool, unless they can spare the money and think all the other bundles are worth the doubloons they cost. And fair enough, SOME PEOPLE DO, AND THAT IS THEIR RIGHT. But I am not one of those, so the doubloons are staying in my pocket. It's as easy as that.

• Cool 7
  • Boring 5

[PIZZA]
-Members-
1,181 posts
26,908 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Swirski is really the only one who matters. The other is a novelty captain with a meme name, based on a character from a darkly humorous Polish film.

You can get Swirski for free by playing the current campaign, always assuming you have the ships for it. So don't give me the "heartless-money grabbing WG" sob-story.

I decided I'd buy them if they fell into the first slot but I wouldn't go chasing; easier and cheaper to play the campaign.

Swirski's going to be in the shop for some big heap of coal one day, anyway. Therefore, free. So again, you can stop with the sob-story.

Anyone who pays more than 500 doubloons for him is IMHO a fool, unless they can spare the money and think all the other bundles are worth the doubloons they cost. And fair enough, SOME PEOPLE DO, AND THAT IS THEIR RIGHT. But I am not one of those, so the doubloons are staying in my pocket. It's as easy as that.

You obviously didnt read what I wrote.

• Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
23,433 posts
17,387 battles
7 minutes ago, BaronVonTom said:

You obviously didnt read what I wrote.

I read what you wrote. You accused WG of heartless greed in the very first paragraph and buried the no-cost option toward the bottom of your post. Disingenuous at best.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 4

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,239 posts
22,861 battles
9 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I read what you wrote. You accused WG of heartless greed in the very first paragraph and buried the no-cost option toward the bottom of your post. Disingenuous at best.

I think he just stated what he considered the most important issue first. Whether it is valid or not in other's minds isn't important. He spoke his peace. His recommendation that you not spend the dubs as he did was last. A great recommendation. You are reading way to much into this post, Ensign!

So, in your opinion, he is a fool? Everyone has a choice with the dice roll. Your choice rewarded you early. His was an experiment. Just because his didn't pan out as early as yours doesn't make him any more foolish than you, really. He even declared his rationale for going the distance.

Thanks @BaronVonTom for the info on how long it took to get the captain. My pockets may be deep enough but I'm not interested in that dice roll. BTW, I think WG markets their stuff in a vacuum with no awareness of the real world. If you look at it as reported from their country, the pandemic doesn't seem to be that much of an issue.

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
23,433 posts
17,387 battles
4 minutes ago, Khafni said:

Your choice rewarded you early.

You read my post wrong. I made the choice not to spend because it wasn't the first option.

OP made a valid point, but did it in a hostile and emotionally overwrought manner. That lost him my respect.

• Cool 5
  • Boring 5

[1984]
Members
4,482 posts
21,506 battles
42 minutes ago, Turbotush said:

Stand by for the crap storm you are going to get from the WG fan boy club.

As if on q 3 min later the white knight arrived.

the dice rolls are not worth it in my eyes.

[CYNIC]
Members
2,929 posts
7,836 battles
1 hour ago, BaronVonTom said:
Spoiler

I want to start by saying I am not the least bit mad about spending money to get these two captains.  My reason for posting is because during a world wide crisis and with people losing their jobs, spending an outrageous amount of money for two captains is about as heartless on WG's part as it gets.  I am retired, house is paid off and I have money coming in. I have plenty of "entertainment" money.    I have never really done the dice thing before so figured .....lets see what happens here.

It took 57 attempts out of 61 to get the two captains.   About 100 USA dollars.  I get 7500 doubs back through the campaign once finished so 70 bucks total for two captains.  Needless to say I will never spend money again on the "dice roll".  

Lets look at these captains.....the one with the long name has no special skills...nothing, and he comes to your port with 10pts. I stuck his useless butt on the tier 9 Swedish DD. This is where WG could have made money by giving this captain at least one special skill and make him only available through the dice roll with Swirski.  But nope.

Swirski has AA Gun aiming expert which is activated once you shoot down 20 planes (your continous aa damage goes up by 10% when activated). A good cv player should not be attacking this dd anyway because the AA is really good. He should only be spotting you. So this should never be activated if you are facing good cv players. The other skill is a 5% reduction in torpedo reload after getting 8 torp hits. This is not that hard to activate with 95 knot torps. BUT, 5% is only 4 secs so you go from 85 sec reload to 81 sec reload. You also get enhanced adrenaline capt skill for 2 pts.  Yes you get the colored tracers, signal flare when activating these skills, and pennant.  He comes to your port with 14 pts (for this amount of money, should have been 19pts).  I put this semi useless captain on the tier 10 Halland.

Yes you get a bunch of flags, coal and elite captain xp during the dice rolls.  I do like the dragon flags so not totally wasted money.

It is beyond my understanding that during a crisis and with people at home playing games.....wouldn't it make better sense to give folks a little bit of a break on stuff like this?  Would more people spend the doubs if say you have 30 chances???  Seems to me that WG continues to show how out of touch they are with public relations.  

Bottom line....spending doubloons is not worth getting Swirski. He just isnt worth it. Get him through the campaign.  Take your doubs and spend it on ships for doubloons or other things.

Well stated.  I've always found the "goal" of the (absolute furthest thing from random) gambling they sucker people into is that it resides somewhere in the last 10% or so of the haul.  I'm sure it's criminal in many jurisdictions to call something that's clearly not random, "random".  TRUE random would see 1 in 61 players have the captain sitting as the first item, 2 in ~30 it would be #2, 3 in 20 would see it #1. It was not in my 1, 2, or 3 slot, and item 3 I have zero desire / use for so it will not be acquired.  I do thank you for your time / post.  It's a true service to the community.

Given the number of players that frequent the forum, and the lack of braggadocios posts stating it was waiting for them at the start, it's clear how the stacked-deck gets dealt. 

PS:  You only got one captain of utility and a bunch of other items above market rate.  I've got "15 10pt captains" worth of captain XP in stock, which also happens to be the same amount it takes to make 1ea 19pt and 18pt captains.  For reference, here is the cost of a 14pt captain
image.png.c18a62cf08aa994a18d3793b1419a37b.png

and a 19....
image.png.77b0a9439c6cdb1c1453744b84b528d4.png

Edited by CV_Jeebies

[PVE]
Members
13,436 posts
28,209 battles

Never buy crates, bundles, etc... UNLESS you will be happy and satisfied with the guaranteed content (ie; flags, camo, coal, FXP, etc...) as your only reward. Don't buy those things looking for/expecting the golden ring. Most times you will end up disappointed like the OP. Consider getting that golden ring as a bonus and nothing more. Or, as in this specific case, look at how many bundles in total there are (61) and decide if you are willing to go to the last one to get the reward and still be happy. If yes then go for it but if no then don't even start. Again, you have to be happy with the base/guaranteed stuff or it is NEVER worth it (well if the top reward shows up in the 1st bundle it would be but not the point LOL).

I went through the bundles in the Armory to get the 2 Capt's myself. I was happy with the base content however AND I was prepared, if necessary, to go all the way to 61 to get them. I didn't have to go that far but I went quite a ways. I am not angry though. I got some good and useful stuff for the Doubloons spent. I found this set of Armory bundles to be a much better value than any of them in the past actually.

I also want to point out WG dropped the bundle cost to 500 Doubloons from the normal 1000. I would say that contradicts some claims they have not taken the world situation into account. IF we did not have the current situation we do around the Globe you can bet your bottom dollar those bundles would have been 1000 each (and not a very good value btw). Well, unless they have realized, through spreadsheet data LOL, that people find 1000 too much so they have lowered the cost for that reason and 500 is the new norm?

I am NOT a WG apologist or white knight by any stretch before someone goes there. I have ripped them as much as anyone over the years. I just don't see the issue here? IF you think armory bundles are too $$$ for what you get, or not a good thing in general, then don't buy them. Earn the Capt for free through the Campaign or wait for him to be  offered for Coal in about a year. There are 3 ways to get this Capt, 2 of which are 100% FREE, so everyone should be happy.

• Cool 3

[WOLFG]
Members
32,359 posts
10,021 battles
1 hour ago, BaronVonTom said:

It is beyond my understanding that during a crisis and with people at home playing games.....wouldn't it make better sense to give folks a little bit of a break on stuff like this? 

To be fair, it's beyond my understanding that during a crisis, people that are having financial issues are spending any money on a video game.

I'm in an ok spot, I'm laid off, but the gap between EI and my regular pay is more than offset by not having to pay for after-school care, a Y membership, and 2 cars worth of gas back and forth to work. (school board is still paying my wife) but even I'm not paying for anything more than premium.

Besides, if WG is going to give us a break, I'd rather it was something universal, like the 2 weeks free premium. I have no interest in the EU boats, so a break on those captains would do nothing for me.

[CYNIC]
Members
2,929 posts
7,836 battles
1 minute ago, Skpstr said:

To be fair, it's beyond my understanding that during a crisis.....those captains would do nothing for me.

Well at this rate there will be more ships added so the captain might not yet be useful...

Given the track record though, if I eventually deem it a worthy investment, AND I run out of coal ships to purchase AND they give out a 25% CO coupon, I might consider getting it.

[WOLFG]
Members
32,359 posts
10,021 battles
2 minutes ago, CV_Jeebies said:

Given the track record though, if I eventually deem it a worthy investment, AND I run out of coal ships to purchase AND they give out a 25% CO coupon, I might consider getting it.

That's how I look at it, although it seems like every time I get a coal ship, 1 or 2 more that I want get added lol.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,433 posts
17,387 battles
4 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

To be fair, it's beyond my understanding that during a crisis, people that are having financial issues are spending any money on a video game.

ESPECIALLY one that can be played absolutely free (as I did for the first nine months I played WOWS).

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,112 posts
11,850 battles

I grow tired of posts like this. Saying it’s heartless to offer something to people that is completely and 100% optional. If someone had the means, interest, or both to spend dubs to get stuff earlier than everyone else, go for it and good for you. 

• Cool 3

[WOLFG]
Members
32,359 posts
10,021 battles
9 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

ESPECIALLY one that can be played absolutely free (as I did for the first nine months I played WOWS).

I played that way for the first 3.5 years lol.

Was only when I started levelling up past T8 that I started using premium.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,893 posts
25,782 battles
27 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Never buy crates, bundles, etc... UNLESS you will be happy and satisfied with the guaranteed content (ie; flags, camo, coal, FXP, etc...) as your only reward. Don't buy those things looking for/expecting the golden ring. Most times you will end up disappointed like the OP.

F2P Lockbox Fundamentals 101.

Seen this stuff happen in too many titles.  F2P has been doing this for more than 10 years now, apparently still works like a charm.  So much so that AAA game companies with AAA titles that you have to BUY to even play, are even doing it.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,207 posts
21,051 battles

I for one agree with the OP. Bit heartless of WG to do this the way they're doing it, at this moment when the world is heading for an economical crisis. I for one was more interested in the joke captain than the campaign one, but am not going to gamble for him.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 3

[WOLFB]
Members
3,178 posts
7,906 battles

I just want to say that you should spend whatever money you want on whatever you want. You never have to explain to here how you want to spend your money. 

• Cool 2

Members
348 posts
5,767 battles

Optional content is optional. WG already gave everyone 2 free weeks of Premium time. I guess that time has expired for most so everyone wants something else for free now.

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,783 posts

Did WG not just give away 2 weeks of free premium to everyone during the time that lots of people are likely to be stuck at home and bored?

I think people forget that consumers are not the only ones impacted by a slump the economy.  When people aren't spending money, businesses feel the impact just as much as consumers do.  Employers aren't laying off workers because it's fun, they are doing it because they can't afford to pay them.

This would be like saying to the consumer, not only have you lost your income, you have to give away some of your stuff on top of it and if you don't, people will be mad at you. 

Businesses are not somehow immune to feeling the exact same impacts that we are and WG is likely feeling the squeeze right now themselves.  If people don't have money to spend, businesses own income shrinks along with it and they have bills to pay just like we do.

At the end of the day, this content is optional an you can choose not to spend money on it. In addition, WG already gave away stuff that they would normally make money on, for free.

There is also an in game mission right now that is very easy to complete in coop, that rewards a free copy of the Master of Orion remake. They normally sell it on steam for $24.

• Cool 2

[O_O]
Members
674 posts

If whales were not buying $100 bundles day 1 of every event, we would not be in this situation.

You cannot fault Wargaming for pushing the envelope when whales have made it very clear that they are easily manipulated into buying just about anything for what ever the cost.

It is easy to blame Wargaming, but they know as long as there is a demand, then can price content higher and higher because some people just cannot say "No"

• Cool 2

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,624 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

What makes it even more unbelievable is that this is a free to play game, and no money needs to be spent just to play.

• Cool 2

Members
131 posts
7,298 battles
4 minutes ago, Rustyhole said:

If whales were not buying $100 bundles day 1 of every event, we would not be in this situation.

You cannot fault Wargaming for pushing the envelope when whales have made it very clear that they are easily manipulated into buying just about anything for what ever the cost.

It is easy to blame Wargaming, but they know as long as there is a demand, then can price content higher and higher because some people just cannot say "No"

What is your problem with whales or how others spend their money. You seem to imply that without whales WG would be much more generous. The truth is without whales the game couldn’t exist. WG is the epitome of a capitalist company, their here to make money not provide you with free entertainment. You don’t have to like “whales” or anyone else for that matter but don’t blame them, that’s just silly.  As for WG being greedy, I think that covers about 90% of the human race. They are one of the many companies that can still be operate fully during the pandemic and therefore they still have to make payroll, which means the 14 days of premium they hand out is about as good as its going to get. 

As for easily manipulated, have you ever been to Vegas?

1 hour ago, Lert said:

I for one agree with the OP. Bit heartless of WG to do this the way they're doing it, at this moment when the world is heading for an economical crisis. I for one was more interested in the joke captain than the campaign one, but am not going to gamble for him.

Not sure its totally heartless on their part, as I said they still have to make payroll and the 14 days of premium was nice. They may still give out more items like that. As for WG’s character, well at least their not like Apple or Alphabet who preach sanctimoniously about doing good then use what is essentially slave labor in China and help the government eliminate any semblance of privacy there. Also, as a vet I appreciate some of the charitable campaigns they do. I’m realistic about what to expect from most companies. 

• Cool 1

0 posts
3 hours ago, BaronVonTom said:

why, just why did you spend money on things you don't want, anyway? You are part of the problem here, allowing WG to abuse your own lack of self restraint. The very same conditions that made Pay2rico possible only 3 months ago.

But at least you recognize it was a mistake, if not for the right reasons.

[TWFT]
Members
1,448 posts
40,281 battles
2 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

As if on q 3 min later the white knight arrived.

the dice rolls are not worth it in my eyes.

And there it is........