You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

I Sank a DD with My CV!

20 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,479 posts

But not in the way you might think. Two DDs rushed through cap B straight to me in the first 5 min of the match. My team got one, I got the other with secondaries. What is not shown is that the second DD almost also got me. I spent the rest of the match with about 25 hit points fighting off the enemy Langley's planes until he finally sank me in the last few minutes.  

image.png.49781f3e11695c0f845037c8ed32af86.png

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 3

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,304 posts
6,280 battles

My first "close quarters expert" kill post-rework was in, of all ships, the Ranger. My flak gunners really did NOT like that Nurnberg that had snuck around our flank through island cover to get me.

• Funny 1

[CLUMP]
Members
1,515 posts
2,180 battles
16 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

But not in the way you might think. Two DDs rushed through cap B straight to me in the first 5 min of the match. My team got one, I got the other with secondaries. What is not shown is that the second DD almost also got me. I spent the rest of the match with about 25 hit points fighting off the enemy Langley's planes until he finally sank me in the last few minutes.  

Oh DDs are always trying to sneak up enemy CVs :fish_panic:

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,830 posts
4,285 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

That's an achievement, CQE in the Langly is not something you see everyday.

[SGSS]
Members
5,758 posts

That funny!

Have you noticed that when dd go cv hunting that team loses?

They spend so much time chasing you aroubs they don't cap and spot and stuff.

[USCC2]
Members
6,450 posts

Sounds as if you really enjoyed the exciting gameplay and risk involved with the early play by the enemy team and then the defending(?)

This is part of the reason I suggest linking plane health with CV health. So there is danger when engaging, for all players.

Anyway, congrats as even with the help of the team, it must have been exhilarating to face that 'return to port' danger and succeed! :Smile_honoring: 

General question: I would never advocate a DD (let alone 2), trying to hunt down an enemy CV - it seems a complete waste early game when they should be carrying out their role......but how did 2 DDs get that close within 5 mins of the game starting (with your full team(?) and all the game mechanics put in place to prevent this?

Again, congrats on what sounds a great fight. 

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles

My best CV dd kill was a shima trying to be sneaky.  Shima goes all the way around the map, avoiding being detected to come and get me.   Shima launches her wall of skill and starts firing.  I quickly start moving to dodge the torps.   My secondaries start firing and on the second hit, the Shima gets detonated by my secondary battery.   By far, the most satisfying kill yet. 

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
4,304 posts
6,280 battles
17 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

General question: I would never advocate a DD (let alone 2), trying to hunt down an enemy CV - it seems a complete waste early game when they should be carrying out their role......but how did 2 DDs get that close within 5 mins of the game starting (with your full team(?) and all the game mechanics put in place to prevent this?

A match I had earlier today ended even more abruptly for the enemy Hakuryu, courtesy of my Henri and a handful of battleships that saw fit push aggressively and smash through a flank that he had very poorly chosen as his hiding place. Never underestimate the lemming train or a team's capacity to break morale and run in the face of a heavy offensive.

• Cool 1

[USCC2]
Members
6,450 posts
10 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

A match I had earlier today ended even more abruptly for the enemy Hakuryu, courtesy of my Henri and a handful of battleships that saw fit push aggressively and smash through a flank that he had very poorly chosen as his hiding place. Never underestimate the lemming train or a team's capacity to break morale and run in the face of a heavy offensive.

I don't deny a move like that could work, I guess it depends on how your team reacts to it. I think most would look to benefit from the other teams mistake, as oppose to follow the same path....maybe!:Smile_teethhappy:

I just look at the info Snarg gave above (I know it's not the full details) and think 'why did 2 DDs and a CV fixate on killing a ship type that WG have worked so hard to protect with the in game mechanics?'.

THIS IS NOT HAVING A GO AT CVs - the role the CVs have been given and the way WG wants them to be able to play, sees a screen of ships, spotters, fighters, CV planes, radar, hydro, RPF - before getting to the enemy CV. Plus the enemy CV has the ability to spot with the SA skill and their own aircraft. It just seems a poor approach to the game by a quarter of the enemy team that @Snargfargle faced - and that quarter being made for the support/objective role, not the attack role. :Smile_honoring:

[NWOC]
[NWOC]
Members
1,055 posts
13,816 battles
3 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

I don't deny a move like that could work, I guess it depends on how your team reacts to it. I think most would look to benefit from the other teams mistake, as oppose to follow the same path....maybe!:Smile_teethhappy:

I just look at the info Snarg gave above (I know it's not the full details) and think 'why did 2 DDs and a CV fixate on killing a ship type that WG have worked so hard to protect with the in game mechanics?'.

THIS IS NOT HAVING A GO AT CVs - the role the CVs have been given and the way WG wants them to be able to play, sees a screen of ships, spotters, fighters, CV planes, radar, hydro, RPF - before getting to the enemy CV. Plus the enemy CV has the ability to spot with the SA skill and their own aircraft. It just seems a poor approach to the game by a quarter of the enemy team that @Snargfargle faced - and that quarter being made for the support/objective role, not the attack role. :Smile_honoring:

IJN strike force, L>R:Akagi, Soryu, Huryu, Hiei, Kirishima, Haruna, Kongo. Taken from Zuikaku, March 30, 1942. HMS Hermes, April 9, 1942. IJN air strike.

GF_in_Indian_Ocean,_1942.jpg

HermesSinking.jpg

[USCC2]
Members
6,450 posts
3 minutes ago, Gruntdog_3 said:

IJN strike force, L>R:Akagi, Soryu, Huryu, Hiei, Kirishima, Haruna, Kongo. Taken from Zuikaku, March 30, 1942. HMS Hermes, April 9, 1942. IJN air strike.

GF_in_Indian_Ocean,_1942.jpg

HermesSinking.jpg

I don't understand the reason behind the picture.

Are you indicating IRL objectives have a similarity to this game?

[NWOC]
[NWOC]
Members
1,055 posts
13,816 battles
1 minute ago, _WaveRider_ said:

I don't understand the reason behind the picture.

Are you indicating IRL objectives have a similarity to this game?

No.

[USCC2]
Members
6,450 posts
2 minutes ago, Gruntdog_3 said:

No.

So what was the info about, apologies but I didn't get it (hence the question)?

[RLGN]
Members
15,657 posts
27,371 battles

One of my last RTS CQEs was in a Langley against a Minekaze. (On Solomons.)

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
4,304 posts
6,280 battles
6 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

One of my last RTS CQEs was in a Langley against a Minekaze. (On Solomons.)

That just reminded me of something I tried for the lulz when I was bored:

Make a training room on a smaller map like Solomons, and take a high tier (8 or 10) CV against a team of NOTHING but 12 tier 1 gunboats. See how long you can last with and without using your planes. Totally ridiculous, but fun all the same.

• Funny 1

[RLGN]
Members
15,657 posts
27,371 battles
18 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

That just reminded me of something I tried for the lulz when I was bored:

Make a training room on a smaller map like Solomons, and take a high tier (8 or 10) CV against a team of NOTHING but 12 tier 1 gunboats. See how long you can last with and without using your planes. Totally ridiculous, but fun all the same.

Throw in a pipsqueak like Smith or Tachibanana for good measure. 

Members
139 posts
2,608 battles
4 hours ago, jags_domain said:

That funny!

Have you noticed that when dd go cv hunting that team loses?

They spend so much time chasing you aroubs they don't cap and spot and stuff.

Mostly true, I've had games were killing the cvs turned the tide of the battle. It all depends on the situation. 

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,397 posts
7,014 battles

If you take a chancing at fighting the DD trying to kill you, you have a chance of killing it. If you don't take a chance and just attempt to run from a 30kt DD with a 18kt CV, then you lost your chance and will likely get sunk. I have 28 secondary kills with my Old Ryujo and 9 secondary kills with my New Ryujo. Miracles can happen if you take a chance.

Skip to 14:18 to see the secondary kill