You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
King_Of_Chaos

Co-op Economy & General Advice

14 comments in this topic

Members
2 posts
140 battles

Hey there! Newer WoWS player here, although I've been with WoT since it was in CBT. 

Recently I decided to pick up a Lenin as my first tier 8 prem BB to grind credits and to assist on my way up the RU BB line. Knowing how awful it is for new player to just jump straight into high tier gameplay from WoT, I was delighted to see a co-op gamemode to test my ships out in and, from what it looks like, to assist in the stock grind for some lower tier ships. Co-op is nice and relaxing, and it's a blast to not be sweating it out with other players who've been playing this game for years already. I was enjoying the heck out of it, until, imagine my surprise when I noticed I was hemorrhaging credits with anything less than 100k damage... with a tier 8 premium ship... No premium account. I know, I know "QQ, it's co-op mode, what do you expect, just go play random battles." My intent here isn't really to complain, as I understand WG would prefer to not have players filling the co-op ques. I guess what I'm trying to get at is, what are the best tiers to play in co-op? Does anyone know if WG ever plans to change the economy for the co-op mode? If not, can someone help me to understand these repair costs? I've come out of games barely missing 5 000 HP, and I still pay 81 000 + credits. Even World of Tanks doesn't charge you for repairs you don't need. Finally, I've been getting really stuck-in to guides and videos on how to properly play BBs, angling, ammunition use, commander skills, modules, etc... So I'm definitely on the right track, but when would you suggest is a good time to jump into randoms, and at what tier? I have everything from a tier 3 prem BB, a tier 5 and now a tier 8. I really don't want to be a detriment to my teams, but this co-op economy model is absolutely killing me. Many thanks for any advice.

Cheers! 

• Cool 2

Members
136 posts

Running premium guarantees a profit for most players, other than that run flags and do your best. really anything T8 plus will have a high maintenance bill, so generally T5-T7 are the best to go without premium time.   

• Cool 2

[RLGN]
Members
15,615 posts
27,321 battles
26 minutes ago, ModelShip said:

Running premium guarantees a profit for most players, other than that run flags and do your best. really anything T8 plus will have a high maintenance bill, so generally T5-T7 are the best to go without premium time.   

Pretty much this.

...and don’t derp.

Co-op can be pretty brawly, and of late over pretty fast. You have to pitch in quick or miss out. (You snooze, you lose.)

DDs can be a bit more cautious, (smoke up, smoke fire and kill your opposite, then charge a big target,) but some like to, and are good at, just plain charging and torp stomping anything that gets in their way.

A players personal preference, and YMMV, and all that.

Co-op is more laid back, but remember, and understand, that some habits that work in Co-op, will get you very dead in Randoms. (The opposite is also true; though Random habits in Co-op often mean low damage and credits, etc, as opposed to getting sunk.)

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 3

[PVE]
Members
10,910 posts
18,866 battles
18 hours ago, King_Of_Chaos said:

I really don't want to be a detriment to my teams, but this co-op economy model is absolutely killing me. Many thanks for any advice.

Jump in and Start Randoms, Co op will not teach you how to do Random battles anyway, the play style is way different. Better that you div with some one and they can help guide you. Mainly don't rush in too fast and hope your team is covering both east and west flanks in Randoms. You got the ship, get in there and play it. Play wisely and look at your minimap often, you'll do fine. Try not to show your broadside, at least Co op teaches that.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,200 posts
20,958 battles

Repair costs are not affected by how much damage you took. You pay just as much 'service cost' whether you're at 1% health of 99%. So there's no reason not to get stuck in, this flat service fee is intended to discourage back line camping and passive play.

• Cool 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,915 posts

In coop i don't run signals... often matches are over so quick...  it can be hard to make any credits or exp, it's not worth using coop to grind credits you will go brain dead...  oh and in coop don't equip premium consumables.... ever..   mebbe different for signals, and premium consumables if you are doing operations.

Make the jump into random, see how it goes... i rented the Lenin recently and enjoyed it... i played it lazy..  keep island close on one side.. point bow at bad guy or angle a little and blast away...  still makes credits...  even for a noob like i am  (just came back after a few years)... tactic can work in JB too, even better if you blob up..

Do it!!  even in the low tiers, less to worry about there, no radar etc.  beware aircraft, they don't neccessarily do a lot of damage, but you will have very little AA, it gets better as you get up to around tier6.

Lastly... if you are new in random.. don't even think about going to the weak flank... don't go anywhere alone... tag along with someone else.

• Cool 1

[-A-8-]
Members
536 posts
21,552 battles

This is the table of repair costs per tier and type. Co-op gets a 25% base discount due to the lower credit/xp earned. As others have said, whether you take no damage or sink you pay the same.

As for when to jump into randoms, I'd say go for it now. I'd always recommend starting at low tier as you'll find mostly other players also taking the plunge so making mistakes won't see you back in the port to quickly as everyone is learning. That way as you progress up you'll feel more comfortable in your abilities to angle, when to make a turn to get away and so on.

This is the page in the Wiki, it may be of interest. https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Economy#Operating_Cost

image.thumb.png.e433dea417b47e825b5d56d3295d8f30.png

Edited by wildgooseman
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
20,163 posts
13,049 battles
3 hours ago, King_Of_Chaos said:

Hey there! Newer WoWS player here, although I've been with WoT since it was in CBT. 

Recently I decided to pick up a Lenin as my first tier 8 prem BB to grind credits and to assist on my way up the RU BB line. Knowing how awful it is for new player to just jump straight into high tier gameplay from WoT, I was delighted to see a co-op gamemode to test my ships out in and, from what it looks like, to assist in the stock grind for some lower tier ships. Co-op is nice and relaxing, and it's a blast to not be sweating it out with other players who've been playing this game for years already. I was enjoying the heck out of it, until, imagine my surprise when I noticed I was hemorrhaging credits with anything less than 100k damage... with a tier 8 premium ship... No premium account. I know, I know "QQ, it's co-op mode, what do you expect, just go play random battles." My intent here isn't really to complain, as I understand WG would prefer to not have players filling the co-op ques. I guess what I'm trying to get at is, what are the best tiers to play in co-op? Does anyone know if WG ever plans to change the economy for the co-op mode? If not, can someone help me to understand these repair costs? I've come out of games barely missing 5 000 HP, and I still pay 81 000 + credits. Even World of Tanks doesn't charge you for repairs you don't need. Finally, I've been getting really stuck-in to guides and videos on how to properly play BBs, angling, ammunition use, commander skills, modules, etc... So I'm definitely on the right track, but when would you suggest is a good time to jump into randoms, and at what tier? I have everything from a tier 3 prem BB, a tier 5 and now a tier 8. I really don't want to be a detriment to my teams, but this co-op economy model is absolutely killing me. Many thanks for any advice.

Cheers! 

1 hour ago, wildgooseman said:

This is the table of repair costs per tier and type. Co-op gets a 25% base discount due to the lower credit/xp earned. As others have said, whether you take no damage or sink you pay the same.

As for when to jump into randoms, I'd say go for it now. I'd always recommend starting at low tier as you'll find mostly other players also taking the plunge so making mistakes won't see you back in the port to quickly as everyone is learning. That way as you progress up you'll feel more comfortable in your abilities to angle, when to make a turn to get away and so on.

This is the page in the Wiki, it may be of interest. https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Economy#Operating_Cost

image.thumb.png.e433dea417b47e825b5d56d3295d8f30.png

This is the service cost info and can help you see where the credits are going.

Note, co-op payouts are roughly half what the random payouts are. WG has tweaked the coop payouts over the years to encourage the purchase of premium time and perma-camo. T6/7 is the rough break point where you need premium time to make credits with an ok game without premium time.

Before you buy perma-camo, note whether or not you plan on playing the ship long term. If you are going to grind and sell it, skip perma-camo.

Don't use premium consumables in co-op as they are not really needed. Premium consumables are expended whether or not you use them in battle. Not using them can save credits in co-op. Don't shoot to just splash water or hit targets on land. Ammo costs credits, but you probably already have that from WoT.

You can play co-op and randoms at the same time, but you must adjust your play for each mode. In co-op, you can be WAY more aggressive than in randoms and make mistakes and not get punished. You have to be aggressive in co-op to get XP & credits. In randoms it's a lot like WoT in positioning and wait for the right time to push. Islands are your friends.

One difference is that in WoWs being two tiers down is not the problem it is in WoT. You can still compete and sink higher tier ships. It's just a bit harder.

If you can join a clan, you can get small buffs to XP and up to -15% off of service costs. There are serious competitive clans and casual clans. We don't have an open spot currently, but I can put you on the list for us if you like. We are a very casual clan. The Wolf clans are casual clans as well. The clan sub-forum has a recruiting section.

Welcome, GL&FS <O

• Cool 1

Members
2 posts
140 battles

Thanks all for the awesome advice! I really appreciate it! Hope to see you all out there! @Lert, man, I haven't seen you since you were all over the WoT forums when I started playing years ago! Glad to see you still kicking around! 

Anyways, thanks again all!

Cheers! 

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,200 posts
20,958 battles
8 minutes ago, King_Of_Chaos said:

@Lert, man, I haven't seen you since you were all over the WoT forums when I started playing years ago! Glad to see you still kicking around!

Bruised, battered and embittered, but still around.

:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
23,285 posts
17,234 battles
On 4/9/2020 at 1:09 AM, Kizarvexis said:

Don't use premium consumables in co-op as they are not really needed. 

But remember that in the next patch, they will all be premium, and at no credit cost. 

[PVE]
Members
20,163 posts
13,049 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

But remember that in the next patch, they will all be premium, and at no credit cost. 

Yeah, but right now, you don't need them in co-op, so don't spend the money if you don't have to.

[KEGEL]
Members
283 posts
13,095 battles
On 4/12/2020 at 8:27 PM, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Plus you'll be refunded the cost of any premium consumables in your inventory.

If you have any missions that reward consumables like the Legendary/Unique Upgrades do, grind 'em out now.

The LU/UU give 50 prem consumables, that's 1.1 million credits each.

Just realised WG has replaced the consumables rewards with credits.

Edited by SlightlyComatose

[ARGSY]
Members
23,285 posts
17,234 battles
Just now, SlightlyComatose said:

Plus you'll be refunded the cost of any premium consumables in your inventory.

This is the big reason I'm trying to do without them now. I need to check my inventory tonight, but I think I have at least a hundred of various sorts lying around.

Part of me thinks I should be farming More Consumables crates for the rest of this patch for the credits they could give me, but I'm just a few thousand coal off getting the Marblehead and I want to get that out of the way first. 

As far as the UU missions are concerned, the only one I have is for the Minotaur and I'm still on the cash-grind phase. By the time I'm up to the consumables phase, it'll be switched to the same number of credits anyway so there's no rush.