You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
anonym_9qa81sg1ET3c

How is the Halland?

56 comments in this topic

Members
757 posts

I played one game so far and my experience is the gearing and shima just out spotted me comfortably while Smolensk and others lay waste to my HP. Now I see why it has such long range torpedoes in lieu of radar.

[RS]
Beta Testers
20 posts
6,086 battles

It made Shimakaze completely useless...Now I simply don't have any reason to play Shimakaze.  

Beta Testers
909 posts
14,418 battles
5 minutes ago, Looxgood said:

It made Shimakaze completely useless...Now I simply don't have any reason to play Shimakaze.  

Except if you get hit by Shima torps you know it. EU torps, not so much. Shima is still a good DD.

• Cool 3

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,382 posts
10,236 battles

95km torps with 12km range is quite crazy, reminds me of the raid of the filth fast torpedoes.

Beta Testers
1,045 posts
4,704 battles
15 minutes ago, Looxgood said:

you couldn't be any more wrong. Shima actually excels at it's role. This ship is a slower, less stealthy, wet noodle slinging destroyer without smoke. It's a struggle to get 100k in this thing. Absolutely avoid it like the plague until they get a fix.

• Cool 1

[KAG]
Members
1,351 posts
12,294 battles

Can’t tell you how Halland is, but Smaland is actually extremely fun to play.  I don’t have to avoid CV’s like the plague. It’s guns absolutely murder DD’s, and it’s torps while not 90+ knts are still fast and do decent damage.

[NOVEL]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
27,951 battles
6 minutes ago, BarneyStyle said:

Can’t tell you how Halland is, but Smaland is actually extremely fun to play.  I don’t have to avoid CV’s like the plague. It’s guns absolutely murder DD’s, and it’s torps while not 90+ knts are still fast and do decent damage.

Yep. the Smaland is fun. Just wait till the DD pop smoke. Most of them slow down to make sure that they will be hidden inside of it. Move so that the smoke is between you and the enemies ships. Pop radar. Enjoy! The downside: I send 8 torps into a Montana and he shrugged them off. You usually sit there and pray for floods.

[PRVTR]
Members
1,119 posts
5,596 battles

I will make a review of the Halländ when I play it on the PTS

For now, it's like a Friesland with torpeedus, but you trade smoke and the Hydro for it. 

That AA is monstrous, however. I wouldn't screw with it if your a Tier 8 XV

:SerB:

Members
81 posts
11,042 battles

Even tho the torp alpha in this boat is low its still got to be making other dds ultra paranoid. 1 torp hit with these things pretty much says GG to any other dd with a few follow up shots.

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,407 posts
10,647 battles
31 minutes ago, BattlecruiserOperational said:

you couldn't be any more wrong. Shima actually excels at it's role. This ship is a slower, less stealthy, wet noodle slinging destroyer without smoke. It's a struggle to get 100k in this thing. Absolutely avoid it like the plague until they get a fix.

Shimakaze is made obsolete and useless using 8 and 12km torps by the fact Gearing has just as good stealth and massively better guns, torp range, smoke and AA. At 20km its made useless by anything given the torps are seen from orbit and theres NOTHING you can do about that. Its AA is such garbage that even if fully spec'd for AA (yes, I tried it during the free resets) it won't shoot down a fighter plane spotting it for nearly a minute.  

Halland lacking smoke and having a detect range similar to german DDs is not an issue. It has 15km torps that give little to no reaction time...its basically a deepwater torpedo without hull restrictions. Its guns are better than Shima and has insane AA that makes CVs be unable to spot-tag it for others to kill it. Thats an amazing benefit once reserved for russian DDs only. 

Problem I've seen people using the Halland is they using it as if it were a gunboat. Same problem Gearing drivers have. They don't spec nor sail the ship to take advantage of its primary asset: torpedoes. In that regard, a torp spec'd Halland would be significantly more effective than a shimakaze at long range torpedo attacks because the torps would actually hit. Lower torp damage? So? You're going to be hitting with far more torps per salvo than Shima ever would dream of. It adds up. Each torp is a flood chance too. 

Beta Testers
1,045 posts
4,704 battles
5 minutes ago, Skyfaller said:

Shimakaze is made obsolete and useless using 8 and 12km torps by the fact Gearing has just as good stealth and massively better guns, torp range, smoke and AA. At 20km its made useless by anything given the torps are seen from orbit and theres NOTHING you can do about that. Its AA is such garbage that even if fully spec'd for AA (yes, I tried it during the free resets) it won't shoot down a fighter plane spotting it for nearly a minute.  

Halland lacking smoke and having a detect range similar to german DDs is not an issue. It has 15km torps that give little to no reaction time...its basically a deepwater torpedo without hull restrictions. Its guns are better than Shima and has insane AA that makes CVs be unable to spot-tag it for others to kill it. Thats an amazing benefit once reserved for russian DDs only. 

Problem I've seen people using the Halland is they using it as if it were a gunboat. Same problem Gearing drivers have. They don't spec nor sail the ship to take advantage of its primary asset: torpedoes. In that regard, a torp spec'd Halland would be significantly more effective than a shimakaze at long range torpedo attacks because the torps would actually hit. Lower torp damage? So? You're going to be hitting with far more torps per salvo than Shima ever would dream of. It adds up. Each torp is a flood chance too. 

I literally played 10+ games today, and yes, the teams were bad even for WoWs standards, but I think my highest damage game I've had was just under 100k. You simply don't get enough opportunities to put your quick loading torps to use. With the shima it takes only 1 hit to do as much damage as 3 of the EU ones. You also have 5 extra torps to create a better wave. If you hit a ship coming at you with one of these wet noodles, it won't care much, whereas you can often stop one in it's tracks with a single hit from a shima. If you get spotted in this thing, you are pretty much toast. You literally cannot disengage if the enemy wants you dead. I played one game with my shima and broke 200k with ease. Like the difference in how hard you have to work to get anything done with this ship is insane.

Members
81 posts
11,042 battles
14 minutes ago, Skyfaller said:

I think the Shima needs a buff no doubt. F3s should be 10km base det considering speed and alpha. Type 93mod3 range is fine maybe a .1km stealth buff to torps to make them 1.6 and 93 should be 16km and a torp det range of like 1.9 to make it somewhat balanced. Either a slight AA buff or a buff to air det range down to like 2.3ish would make it possible still for a talented cv to rocket.

[5D]
Members
1,140 posts
15,113 battles

so far whit around 20 battle in it , i average around 84k per match but had  quite a few 120-130k  fast torp with a 76 sec reload mean that if you know how to aim and your target is dumb enough to sail in a line you will hit often

shot-20_04.08_18_46.27-0267.thumb.jpg.6322fcf8e397a9aaffc0a0b852e37566.jpg

0 posts
3 minutes ago, dad003 said:

so far whit around 20 battle in it , i average around 84k per match but had  quite a few 120-130k  fast torp with a 76 sec reload mean that if you know how to aim and your target is dumb enough to sail in a line you will hit often

shot-20_04.08_18_46.27-0267.thumb.jpg.6322fcf8e397a9aaffc0a0b852e37566.jpg

Nice game. Would you mind sharing your commander setup and modules?

• Cool 1

[NFJF]
Members
707 posts
10,920 battles

I really don't have an opinion at this point. I'm really going to have to get used to the playstyle. I really wish we could get some more DDs with "traditional" characteristics.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,763 posts
29 minutes ago, admiralsexybeast said:

I really don't have an opinion at this point. I'm really going to have to get used to the playstyle. I really wish we could get some more DDs with "traditional" characteristics.

I don't.  There is no point in a ship that is exactly like another one but with slightly adjusted stats.  It's boring.

Members
925 posts
5,110 battles

Halland looks to be the only solid ship of the line. The 2x3 and slow guns of everything up to tier 9 really hamper them. The tier 9 is workable but not great. I don't like the fact that its 2x4 but still 10 seconds slower on the torp reload compared to Hallands 2x5. Kind of makes no sense.

50 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

I don't.  There is not point in a ship that is exactly like another one but with slightly adjusted stats.  It's boring.

I could argue the Swede line is the most boring so far. They're not very maneuverable, not particularly stealthy, don't have great guns. All they can do is zoom around and stealth torp. If they got spotted by a charging Russian, French, or Japanese gunboat its impossible to disengage due to no smoke. Honestly if I grinded my soul away and had a Benham I probably wouldn't care about this line at all. I'd happily trade the heal for smoke and wish it was an option.

Edited by ksix
  • Cool 1

[FML]
Members
4,156 posts
16,067 battles

Wait, what? People are speccing their EU DDs as gunboats??

I have specced mine for torps, and have been enjoying them so far (up to the T7)...

[TNG-2]
Members
207 posts
14,678 battles

Halland is fantastic, it will likely be the primary DD this clan battle season... almost no question.  She shreds tier 10 squadrons, 15km torps at 86 knots, good guns with a short range helping with disengaging.  Great boat for CV gameplay.

Beta Testers
1,669 posts
8,903 battles
1 hour ago, BattlecruiserOperational said:

I literally played 10+ games today, and yes, the teams were bad even for WoWs standards, but I think my highest damage game I've had was just under 100k. You simply don't get enough opportunities to put your quick loading torps to use. With the shima it takes only 1 hit to do as much damage as 3 of the EU ones. You also have 5 extra torps to create a better wave. If you hit a ship coming at you with one of these wet noodles, it won't care much, whereas you can often stop one in it's tracks with a single hit from a shima. If you get spotted in this thing, you are pretty much toast. You literally cannot disengage if the enemy wants you dead. I played one game with my shima and broke 200k with ease. Like the difference in how hard you have to work to get anything done with this ship is insane.

Those 5 extra torps dont mean much when you have to wait twice as long to fire each set and they almost always don't connect. I can't remember the last time I was actually hit by a Shima torp. 

[5D]
Members
1,140 posts
15,113 battles
1 hour ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

Nice game. Would you mind sharing your commander setup and modules?

shot-20_04.08_21_22.10-0030.thumb.jpg.faa1bc2b34b37a7ab5362f315ef7604f.jpg

shot-20_04.08_21_23.15-0980.thumb.jpg.03663bb65692743bc309aeeb3de356b3.jpg

• Cool 1

[FORM]
Members
2,208 posts
13,223 battles
14 hours ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

I played one game so far and my experience is the gearing and shima just out spotted me comfortably while Smolensk and others lay waste to my HP. Now I see why it has such long range torpedoes in lieu of radar.

I came upon a pair of them div'd up last night while driving my Midway. The AA chewed my planes up in about .23 seconds. So... they have that going for them. Fortunately, our team pushed smartly and won the match.  Had a couple good cruisers who kept Halls pushed well enough back for us.

[TARK]
Members
640 posts
14 minutes ago, TheArc said:

I came upon a pair of them div'd up last night while driving my Midway. The AA chewed my planes up in about .23 seconds. So... they have that going for them. Fortunately, our team pushed smartly and won the match.  Had a couple good cruisers who kept Halls pushed well enough back for us.

I saw a TON of the IKEA boats last night in one specific game.  Hak on the enemy team / Midway on mine.  3 DDs per side, all of which were Hallands or Smallands.  About 8 minutes into the game, the Midway was /all chatting about not having any rocket or torp planes left.  14-15 mins in the Hak said he too, was out of planes.

I don't get CVs that are so hard for DDs that they ignore, IDK, me in a Musashi blowing up their cruisers at C.  Not 1 drop performed on me.  I even put my self all alone at one point.  Nope.  They just kept sending their planes at the DDs.

TLDR:  I won't love playing the IKEA boats, but I sure like having them around when planes are in the match.

Members
409 posts
11,819 battles

I does make sense that the upper tier EU DDs all have really good AA. Since they came out in the 50s, designers had a decade worth of experience learning how to deal with aircraft and also naval jets had started to make an appearance. If they could deal with jets, then prop-jobs would be even easier to deal with.