Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Banished_Privateer

Orkan is worse $$$ version of Lightning

23 comments in this topic

[-AHOY]
Members
256 posts
7,752 battles

so Orkan and Lightning are based on the same ship hull, are same tier (VIII) and use same guns. Let's compare them.

Orkan:

• gets 0.6km less main battery range with same guns (literally same type, shell velocity, fire chance, pen, name, etc.)
  • has 1 torp launcher less (1x4) in exchange for 1 useless secondary gun 102mm (max range 5km)
  • base concealment 0.5km worse (not sure if it includes premium camo on top of that)
  • gets 200 less HP
  • gets 50 more HE/AP DMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!   *stonks*
  • 1 knot slower
  • despite extra secondary gun, has worse AA (both have trash AA, but Lightning has more DPS)

so... to sum it up, what's the deal with Orkan? 

Edited by Banished_Privateer
  • Cool 3

[NSC]
Members
2,333 posts
5 minutes ago, Banished_Privateer said:

so Orkan and Lightning are based on the same ship hull, are same tier (VIII) and use same guns. Let's compare them.

Orkan:

• gets 0.6km less main battery range with same guns (literally same type, shell velocity, fire chance, pen, name, etc.)
  • has 1 torp launcher less (1x4) in exchange for 1 useless secondary gun 102mm (max range 5km)
  • base concealment 0.5km worse (not sure if it includes premium camo on top of that)
  • gets 200 less HP
  • 1 knot slower
  • despite extra secondary gun, has worse AA (both have trash AA, but Lightning has more DPS)

Helps you complete the new "Strong Willed" campaign faster.

• Boring 1

[CUTE]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,048 posts
11,487 battles

They both have different play styles.... the Orkan has the PanEU torps for the rack it has.

[USN]
Members
1,509 posts
20,360 battles
11 minutes ago, Banished_Privateer said:

Orkan:

• gets 200 less HP
  • 1 knot slower

Forgot to mention about a 7.5km radar and British DD heal. And technically speaking, Orkan is a slightly different class to Lightning (Lightning is an L-class, I forget what Orkan is, I think P-class)

and Orkan's torps are Oland's torps, which have more range and are much faster, but less damage. Orkan is supposed to be more of a DD hunter, as it has radar, heal, and very good DPM.

[-AHOY]
Members
256 posts
7,752 battles
1 minute ago, tfcas119 said:

and very good DPM.

DPM is pretty much identical, they have same gun type and reload. 

6 minutes ago, Shigure_DD said:

They both have different play styles.... the Orkan has the PanEU torps for the rack it has.

cool, but it gets only 4 of these while Lightning gets 8. Lightning torps >>> Orkan torps.

3 minutes ago, tfcas119 said:

Orkan is a slightly different class to Lightning (Lightning is an L-class, I forget what Orkan is, I think P-class)

From the looks they are almost identical. I get the point of different consumables, playstyle and all that, but the fact of them having so much different stats is hilarious. 

Members
68 posts
581 battles
21 minutes ago, Banished_Privateer said:

so... to sum it up, what's the deal with Prinz Eitel Friedrich? 

so... to sum it up, what's the deal with Gorizia? 

They are ways to ease the corresponding grinds.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,607 battles
49 minutes ago, Banished_Privateer said:

Let's compare them.

Can you do Fubuki and Shinonome next? They're the same ship too! (And then maybe the Kami sisters, which actually all are the same!)

[SALVO]
Members
26,102 posts
29,035 battles
53 minutes ago, Banished_Privateer said:

Orkan:

• gets 200 less HP
  • 1 knot slower

Rather than comparing the Orkan and Lightning, how about comparing the Orkan and Oland, the t8 Swedish tech tree DD?

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles
1 hour ago, Banished_Privateer said:

Orkan is a specialized DD hunter. While Lighting is a more balanced ship overall. 

Orkan radar and heal will give you a advantage over other DDs, shot first and heal back some of the dmg, but the lack of torps and smoke means you are less effective agasint other ships. While Lighting have less strenghts in DD vs DDs, but is better in fighting other ships. 

Seems a fun ship, but IMO not worth the price of a T8 DD in the current CV meta. 

Edited by Xlap

[RTXN]
Banned
1,416 posts
3 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Can you do Fubuki and Shinonome next? They're the same ship too! (And then maybe the Kami sisters, which actually all are the same!)

....and then Lightning, Orkan and Cossack.  

That would be cool.

9 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Rather than comparing the Orkan and Lightning, how about comparing the Orkan and Oland, the t8 Swedish tech tree DD?

Even better, and useful.

[SALVO]
Members
26,102 posts
29,035 battles
2 minutes ago, jmanII said:

(Orkan vs Oland)

Even better, and useful.

I found the Oland extremely useful.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,936 posts
15,722 battles
54 minutes ago, tfcas119 said:

Forgot to mention about a 7.5km radar and British DD heal. And technically speaking, Orkan is a slightly different class to Lightning (Lightning is an L-class, I forget what Orkan is, I think P-class)

and Orkan's torps are Oland's torps, which have more range and are much faster, but less damage. Orkan is supposed to be more of a DD hunter, as it has radar, heal, and very good DPM.

Lightning and Orkan are the same 'L & M' class, Orkan was originally going to be called Myrmidon before her transfer to the Polish Navy. 

• Cool 1

Members
763 posts
14,038 battles

Oland is one of the better DDs in the EU line. Lightning is definitely a good DD. I'm not home yet to look. How much does this thing cost?

Modder
1,313 posts
1 hour ago, tfcas119 said:

I forget what Orkan is, I think P-class

Orkan is an M-class Destroyer, ex-HMS Myrmidon. The O and P-class were quite different to the preceding L and M-class Destroyers.

[-AHOY]
Members
256 posts
7,752 battles
13 hours ago, jmanII said:

Lightning, Orkan and Cossack.  

Cossack is not very similar to the other 2.

14 hours ago, Umikami said:

(And then maybe the Kami sisters, which actually all are the same!)

They have literally the same stats, just different visuals. The point went over your head.

[LOS]
Members
864 posts
15,802 battles

Is the Orkan a 'Super Tester' ship only?   Been away for large chunks of the last few weeks.

[RTXN]
Banned
1,416 posts
2 hours ago, Banished_Privateer said:

Cossack is not very similar to the other 2.

Same hull, just different armament.

[-AHOY]
Members
256 posts
7,752 battles
3 minutes ago, jmanII said:

Cossack gets extra twin turret in exchange for torp launcher, meanwhile Orkan trades for useless secondary gun... That's quite a big difference.

[RTXN]
Banned
1,416 posts
7 minutes ago, Banished_Privateer said:

Cossack gets extra twin turret in exchange for torp launcher, meanwhile Orkan trades for useless secondary gun... That's quite a big difference.

Again, same hull - different armament

[ARGSY]
Members
23,285 posts
17,234 battles
33 minutes ago, jmanII said:

The Tribals and the L/M class are not even nearly the same thing. They were developed at different times to perform different tasks. This is also true in-game. 

While the OP's original post neglected to mention the faster torps, the heal and the radar, I'm not altogether sure I disagree with their overall opinion of the desirability of the ship.

Start with the Lightning, take off the smoke and one of the torp racks, give her low alpha torps in the other, and I don't like the look of that.

I'm currently not convinced that making those torps faster and longer ranged plus adding radar and heal is sufficient compensation. I'm sure she'll find her meta niche in the hands of players who grasp exactly how to use her; just not all that sure I'll be one of those.

I think she'll be an interesting departure for those who like driving their high-tier Pan-Asian destroyers with radar; the twist is that they can't torp the destroyers they find, whereas (if I've read correctly) this ship can. Given that the Japanese gunboat destroyers (especially the Harugumo) are not the most nimble DDs in the game, it makes me wonder whether this ship hasn't been designed to find and kill them in smoke. Dump in the Swedish torps, cut them down to size (or make them angle away and cut off most of their DPM) and finish the job with your guns and those of team-mates (and especially div-mates).

[RTXN]
Banned
1,416 posts
5 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The Tribals and the L/M class are not even nearly the same thing. They were developed at different times to perform different tasks. This is also true in-game. 

Same hull performance for me, just if I want torp centric or gunboat centric.

Two of the about 4 DD's in the entire game actually worth playing - not on a consistent basis, but every once in a while.

[TARK]
Members
640 posts
17 hours ago, RedSeaBear said:

How did we get the Orkan?

CjPK5eW.png

WG probably. 

"NOW get ready for my FACE to your FIST STYLE!!"

Sign in to follow this