Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
gbgentry

I’m starting to think my Langley is cursed

12 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

4,623
[RLGN]
Members
15,615 posts
27,321 battles
27 minutes ago, gbgentry said:

3 battles.  3 kills by DD. :cap_look:

But! But carriers are invincible! They reach out and swat DDs to death with rockets with nary a care in the world!

In any case; been on both sides of that.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,106
[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,607 battles
49 minutes ago, gbgentry said:

3 battles.  3 kills by DD. :cap_look:

This only happens because RNGeezus loves someone else; you should have sacrificed that chicken!

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
170
[SALVO]
Members
703 posts
15,498 battles

It's not the ship.  It's child's play at those low tiers.  That was just now with a 4 pt capt.  

 

shot-20.04.14_16.21.52-0681.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,024
[GRETA]
Members
1,372 posts
10,591 battles
22 minutes ago, brdhntr said:

It's not the ship.  It's child's play at those low tiers.  That was just now with a 4 pt capt.  

 

shot-20.04.14_16.21.52-0681.jpg

This is possible if games go the distance.   T4 CV's have terrible alpha and quite often the one entire team will potato and die long before you have the time required to get and real damage done.  Just gotta hope it is their team and not yours doing the dumb stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
170
[SALVO]
Members
703 posts
15,498 battles
2 minutes ago, HallaSnackbar said:

This is possible if games go the distance.   T4 CV's have terrible alpha and quite often the one entire team will potato and die long before you have the time required to get and real damage done.  Just gotta hope it is their team and not yours doing the dumb stuff.

Most of my 13 games in my Langley were done with the single torp squads early in the rework.  I think I've only played 3 games since it switched to 2 torps per run.  2 were 70k plus games.  It really isn't hard, which is why I don't play the tier 4.  Although this one was fun taking out the 10k game Clemson clubber.  The biggest issue in these is the large numbers of dd which limits the damage you can achieve.  Getting nuked, regularly by DD in tier 4 games is all on the carrier captain.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,024
[GRETA]
Members
1,372 posts
10,591 battles
19 minutes ago, brdhntr said:

Most of my 13 games in my Langley were done with the single torp squads early in the rework.  I think I've only played 3 games since it switched to 2 torps per run.  2 were 70k plus games.  It really isn't hard, which is why I don't play the tier 4.  Although this one was fun taking out the 10k game Clemson clubber.  The biggest issue in these is the large numbers of dd which limits the damage you can achieve.  Getting nuked, regularly by DD in tier 4 games is all on the carrier captain.  

You are correct and I agree it is not "hard" to get those numbers if the opportunity presents itself however you do need the game to last a while and that is out of your control. 

As for the cv getting sniped by a dd.  If the rest of your team completely ignores a middle cap and allows a couple dd's to rush through uncontested.   A lone Langley does not have the alpha to kill a couple full health  dd's before they kill him.  Heck I have done this in a much slower Ishizuchi.  Let's be honest, at T4 the reliability- of teammates is questionable at best.  However this happening 4 times in a row leads me to believe the op was neglecting his spotting duties prior to tunnel visioning those juicy BB's that are so much easier to hit.

Edited by HallaSnackbar
Grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
97
[NGA-B]
[NGA-B]
Beta Testers
182 posts
10,415 battles

I've started playing CVs more of late that include the Langley and Hosho.  I got the Furious during the event last year.  I play more T4 games to get the hang of it and one of the basic tips I've learned is NOT SIT STILL at spawn.  Keep moving.  Keep spotting and making note on where the red DDs are. If one happens to get through, keep moving and focus it w/ rockets.  Sometimes I live..sometimes I die.  Not having your team potato helps as well as not getting tunnel vision on the BBs.  My goal with the T4 CVs is finish in the top 6 on a consistent basis.  I'm getting there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
282
[F4E]
Alpha Tester
1,107 posts

LOL I’d honestly forgotten about this.  I think that a couple were the result of getting flanked late.  Unfortunately, Langley can’t exactly run. :cap_wander_2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
216 posts
7,381 battles
On 4/14/2020 at 4:39 PM, gbgentry said:

LOL I’d honestly forgotten about this.  I think that a couple were the result of getting flanked late.  Unfortunately, Langley can’t exactly run. :cap_wander_2:

Hey, sailors can only row so fast! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,031
[WPORT]
Members
8,023 posts
13,099 battles

Langley's strength(s) are in her planes.  They're pretty good for their tier.   
Langley's weakness is her origin as a collier ship.  She's limited to a top speed of around 15 knots.

Like all CV's, Langley and her planes benefit from the appropriate Captain's Skills. 
But if you don't have the skill points, the ship needs to be played in order to level-up the Captain (unless one spends Commander XP or Free XP to accelerate the training).

Langley is a reasonable ship to begin one's career as a CV player.  The other popular recommendation is Hosho.

The basics of learning to CV, spotting, target selection, keeping the ship in motion and using the autopilot, making proper approaches to set-up an aerial attack run, dodging Flak bursts and avoiding AA bubbles, are found in the Tier-4 CV's.
There are several articles and youtube videos and forum posts that offer "how-to" wisdom.
It does take practice, though, to apply the knowledge and refine one's techniques.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×