You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
undrbidr

suggestion: radar jamming module

9 comments in this topic

[SMI-1]
Members
8 posts

As the radar has become both longer lasting and longer range, dd play has become less fun. As a veteran of over 40k battles, I realize that balancing the powers of the various classes is a difficult and evolving process. If T8 and above dds had some sort of short time radar jamming on some lines, then the balance would be restored somewhat. 

• Cool 2

[-TKS-]
Members
3,354 posts
17,626 battles
4 minutes ago, undrbidr said:

As the radar has become both longer lasting and longer range, dd play has become less fun. As a veteran of over 40k battles, I realize that balancing the powers of the various classes is a difficult and evolving process. If T8 and above dds had some sort of short time radar jamming on some lines, then the balance would be restored somewhat. 

Prepare for lots of hate. It's coming. 

Members
12,597 posts
14,320 battles
6 minutes ago, undrbidr said:

My solution for DDs has been Sierra Mike signal flags, Premium Speed boosts, Superintendent, signal flags to reduce consumables cool down, the special modules from armory that extend speed boost duration, and using longer ranged torpedoes that can be launched beyond even the longest ranged Radar if needed. The focus on trying to move as fast as possible does help get out of radar range faster as well as helping to outfox aircraft.

The Radar jammer might  not be a bad idea. Perhaps a consumable that can jam radar for 5-10 seconds could work as it would buy a DD precious seconds of invisibility to radar while still not negating radar consumables duration entirely. Although I still like my suggestion a while back where Radar should be a module that can sustain damage rather than immortal guaranteed asset.

[SYN]
Members
8,256 posts
14,111 battles

I used to consider myself a DD main, don't play them (or this game) as much as I used too. But it's not radar that is the issue, it's CVs.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,624 battles

Spotted is spotted, and spotted is dead; unless you're going to jam aircraft along with radar you will probably still get spotted, and dead.

[SOUP]
Modder
8,921 posts

It would be interesting, but I'd rather see some sorta nerf to Radar involving island cover. I don't remember ships carrying chaff and flares

[LOIN]
Supertester
851 posts
On 4/8/2020 at 12:39 PM, undrbidr said:

Well, this is supposed to be WW2 not modern era. The only ship I could think of that might have something are carriers. During the war there was aluminum strips that was used to jam radar, it was dropped by British aircraft. But it was used by land based aircraft, and the Germans found a way (pretty quickly) overcome it. The aluminum strips were rendered useless.

Edited by Starfleet1701

[SMI-1]
Members
8 posts

I am not a WW2 expert but my understanding is that the Germans used jamming as early as 1942, to cover the Scharnhorst and Bismarck channel dash. True, the jammers were not to my knowledge carried on destroyers. Your idea that the jamming could be done by CVs is interesting but WOWs reworked that whole class because of discrepancies in skill levels. Can you imagine the disparity if a CV captain became skilled at the use of radar jamming and the other captain had no clue? WOWs would not permit that for game play sake.

So based on your comments, I specifically propose that Z be given a radar jamming module of short duration. Z, at T9 and T10, is desperately in need of a buff and it is the most strategic of all the DDs so a jammer is consistent with her identity.