You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hapa_Fodder

European Destroyers: Branch Review

21 comments in this topic

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
4,578 posts
15,102 battles

Introducing the European destroyers: everything you need to know for victory!

Read it on the portal
  • Cool 1

0 posts
31 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Introducing the European destroyers: everything you need to know for victory!

Read it on the portal

I think most of this advice quite sound :

image.thumb.png.f7fe79f9fb179e959efc2f0dd07e84d7.png
except : 

It's usually wise to stay closer to your allies when you come under attack from enemy aircraft, but that's not the case for European destroyers! The ships’ good AA defenses, together with Defensive AA Fire when playing ships of Tier VIII and above, will allow you to effectively fend off any enemy squadrons.

Good AA on a dd makes you an expensive target, but it does not make you immune to debilitating air attacks, and indirect fire after being spotted by an air squadron. DDs, including Euro dds, should always try to avoid detection by enemy CVs, always. Turning AA on, and using it, is best done as a last resort, or in support of other ships, or as part of an AA ambush. 

The ships’ good artillery and access to the Repair Party consumable will help if you get into any brawls with your opponents. 

I have been getting a dd kill nearly every battle with Ostergotland, mostly with my torpedos. Euro-Torpedos are the best way of eliminating enemy dds in a brawl, while allowing you to recover concealment immediately after deleting the enemy ship. Artillery are best used when torps fail, or if you are sure of winning the brawl with them, and are not at risk from supporting/3rd party enemy ships/cruisers.

Versus bbs the modest alpha of Euro dd torps is a handicap, but versus dds, this matters much less, while their superb speed and narrow spread, affords the enemy few escape routes at brawl range (5 km).

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,491 posts
22,887 battles

Main job spotting......

AND WITH THE EXCEPTIONAL REWARDS WG GIVES OUT FOR SPOTTING.....

I wish detailed report would indicate how much exp you got for spotting, capping and shooting planes down.

• Cool 2

[KMS]
Beta Testers
206 posts
7,717 battles

I love playing DDs. That being typed, I will go no further with this line and am returning to my IJN tin cans.  11 torps into both sides of a BB yesterday for barely 21k damage was the "final nail in the coffin". To those who enjoy this line; best of luck, fair winds, and following seas.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
42 posts
10,682 battles

The guns are the main weapons with the torpedoes being a quick-reaction defensive or area denial weapon.

They're only fast with a decent reload; very poor damage otherwise.

Guns. Go for max guns.

[IXM]
Members
1,060 posts

It's just another meh line in a series of new meh lines. It provides almost nothing to the game, except as a money/exp sink.

• Cool 2

[RCNW]
Members
9 posts
8,125 battles

The Halland has an utterly ridiculous reload of 2 seconds. With buffs, just going to be a machine gun without the cloaking device smoke. Along with submarines as underwater DDs, this is just a farcical arcade game now.

[TBCIC]
Members
70 posts
3,421 battles
20 minutes ago, Raggoo said:

this is just a farcical arcade game now

. . .  what was it supposed to be?  

[RCNW]
Members
9 posts
8,125 battles

It used to be more simulation. The differences, say, between a US and IJN DD were exaggerated to bring out their differences, but there was an attempt at some simulation of real naval forces.

Edited by Raggoo

Members
731 posts
10,282 battles
1 hour ago, Raggoo said:

The Halland has an utterly ridiculous reload of 2 seconds. With buffs, just going to be a machine gun without the cloaking device smoke. Along with submarines as underwater DDs, this is just a farcical arcade game now.

The Halland is a real ship and the guns on it had a 1.3 second reload in real life.

[KMS]
Beta Testers
206 posts
7,717 battles

All the quick firing guns in the world are helped immensely by smoke rather than a "heal". As I typed, I am going back were I am most comfortable and hope I can help my team the best.

• Cool 1

[JASH]
Members
64 posts
4,107 battles

Recommending AR with a 10pt captain instead of Last Stand on a DD? Really WG? :cap_wander:

Hope people don't do this because we'll see a lot of stuck PAN EU dds in the middle of the map getting blapped. :Smile_veryhappy:

For a Commander with 10 skill points we recommend:

MeticulousPreventionModifier_bdab0122be3LastChanceModifier_08c69996db12c0caa1dacSuperintendentModifier_377444942b28914f8VisibilityModifier_59d3bb84996e8f66039e6

• Preventive Maintenance 
  • Adrenaline Rush
  • Superintendent
  • Concealment Expert
Edited by Dogfather1
  • Cool 1

[RCNW]
Members
9 posts
8,125 battles

1.3 second reload is theoretical, for a trained crew knowing it was making a record attempt, not in combat, pitching, rolling ship. Not for extended periods, and certainly NOT infinitely. The barrel and chamber would become too hot and unusable.

Edited by Raggoo
  • Cool 1

[RCNW]
Members
9 posts
8,125 battles

I've noticed that the guns do not seem to have external breech blocks. Does anyone know if the block was internal to these guns?

Edited by Raggoo

Members
1,180 posts
5 hours ago, Raggoo said:

It always was a farcical arcade game.  It was just easier to suspend disbelief before all the paper ships.  But WoWS in no way ever represented anything like reality.

Reality check: in real naval battles, you want to go broadside.  "Crossing the T" is the most famous naval tactic, and it is completely absent from WoWS.  In fact, it will get you slaughtered.

[TBCIC]
Members
70 posts
3,421 battles
5 hours ago, Raggoo said:

It used to be more simulation. The differences, say, between a US and IJN DD were exaggerated to bring out their differences, but there was an attempt at some simulation of real naval forces.

And all this time I thought it was a turn-based revenue generating video game enterprise employing stimulation . . . who knew?

[TBCIC]
Members
70 posts
3,421 battles

4 hours ago, Raggoo said:

...The barrel and chamber would become too hot and unusable.

. . . "for every problem, there is a solution" ...

• Cool 1

[USCC2]
Beta Testers
1,393 posts
14,287 battles

And the ships just keep getting more modern with each release.  I remember when this game first came out how it marketed itself as a World War II Naval Combat.  That has gone by the wayside long ago, now it's any ship they can find to make a buck!

• Cool 2

[KOFTT]
Members
119 posts
11,752 battles

Encouraging DDs to go off on their own and take on full CV squads by themselves...  Has the person that wrote that ever played this game?

• Cool 1

[IXM]
Members
1,060 posts
7 hours ago, zakkmylde said:

Encouraging DDs to go off on their own and take on full CV squads by themselves...  Has the person that wrote that ever played this game?

It's widely known WG doesn't really play their own game. You can tell by how bad most of them are, and by what they suggest you do with your ships and captain builds.