You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
IRISHSDOWN

Not a fan of the Donskoi.

16 comments in this topic

[SAPP]
Members
102 posts
9,014 battles

I've played about 10 or 12 rounds with the Donskoi.  To me, it's worse than the Buffalo.  I know some people like it.  I've lost just about every game with it and it just seems to not do much damage.  Does the Moskva play pretty much the same?  Sorry.  Rant over.

• Cool 1

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,108 posts
11,788 battles
19 minutes ago, IRISHSDOWN said:

I've played about 10 or 12 rounds with the Donskoi.  To me, it's worse than the Buffalo.  I know some people like it.  I've lost just about every game with it and it just seems to not do much damage.  Does the Moskva play pretty much the same?  Sorry.  Rant over.

Well in my limited Russian cruiser experience, none play like moskva. But I actually did enjoy the donkey a little. I’d prefer to play a ship that kites better but it wasn’t bad. You can’t tank well but are relatively maneuverable. Play at range in the early game imo. GLHF

• Cool 1

[THREE]
Members
2,151 posts
10,943 battles
25 minutes ago, IRISHSDOWN said:

Different ships jive with different people.

I don't do particularly well in the belfast, despite it being OP.

Edited by Cpt_Cupcake
  • Cool 1

[KAG]
Members
1,351 posts
12,287 battles
29 minutes ago, IRISHSDOWN said:

It’s not the same play style as Moskva is, partly why they’re splitting the line.  You stay at range and spam HE with high velocity shells.  Don’t show too much broadside, the AP is good on cruisers, and 12k radar.. well, good for deleting DD’s.  

• Cool 1

[WOLF4]
Members
395 posts
17,283 battles

NO they do not play the same.

Moskva is much different as it bow tanks well vs donskoi. i play donskoi  kiting mostly at long range angled. The exception is beginning game i like to help the dds with radar. The guns on donskoi i see people use ifhe there was a recent post on this. I don't us ifhe as I use the same captain on kronstat for now. I use FP

I use the module for extended range so sometime i sit pretty far back and use speed flag as the skoi has pretty good speed. I have thought about changing the range module to reload, but see.

Without having the tech tree in front of me the armor profiles have to be much different between the 2.

I do not have very many games in Moskva , but most people play them bow tanking.

I actually like the donskoi

• Cool 1

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,295 posts
8,554 battles

The Donskoi got hit hard by the IFHE rework.  It has comparable DPM to heavy cruisers, roughly on par with the Saint Louis/Ibuki and noticeably worse than the Buffalo, but it needs IFHE in order to pen 32mm plating.  Not only did it take a massive hit to its fire chance with the rework....it also lost the ability to pen 38mm plating with IFHE.  So it was a double whammy to a ship I already felt was a little underwhelming.

Edited by yashma
  • Cool 3

Members
794 posts
1,707 battles

Donskoi is a Big Target, Kinda clunky on turns. Easily punished.... But once your done you'll get Moskva and then it will turn into a coal ship and then it will get better!!! Moskva is way more fun, it can actually tank which is awesome. It also has nice range as well and its guns can punish. Moskva is worth the grind just get past the Tier lX. Good Luck!!!

Edited by Schnitchelkid01_
  • Cool 1

Members
1,728 posts
11,839 battles

I loved the Don back when i was grinding the RU cruiser line.  It received the amazing turret angle buff which made kiting in it amazing.  It was overall a very solid platform.  With that said, the IFHE changes and the CE changes since then may make it not as enjoyable as it once was.  There is part of me hoping i dont have to go back and rebuy/regrind just to unlock the tier 10 again.  

• Cool 1

[SAPP]
Members
102 posts
9,014 battles

Hey, thanks everyone!!!!  I'm gonna keep plugging along but I may end up using some of my free XP to just get the Moskva.  Thank you all for your input.

[PRVTR]
Members
1,119 posts
5,593 battles

Well you might wanna get the Moskva and enjoy it while you can. WeeGee is going to shift it to the Armory and replace it with the Alexander Nevsky and the Petropavlovsk in the tech tree.

But if you do get it, it's well worth the grind. Those 220mm guns hit hard AF, plus it's super tanky and has the same radar as Donskoi

:SerB:

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,669 posts
8,903 battles
11 minutes ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

Well you might wanna get the Moskva and enjoy it while you can. WeeGee is going to shift it to the Armory and replace it with the Alexander Nevsky and the Petropavlovsk in the tech tree.

But if you do get it, it's well worth the grind. Those 220mm guns hit hard AF, plus it's super tanky and has the same radar as Donskoi

:SerB:

Once you have the Moskva, you keep it. They arent taking it from you. 

• Cool 1

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles
5 hours ago, IRISHSDOWN said:

I've lost just about every game with it and it just seems to not do much damage.  Does the Moskva play pretty much the same? 

Literally exactly how I felt.  It shoots goddamn peanuts.  It just tickles ships haha.  If I remember correctly, a citadel hit does 4k or something.   I played 14 battles in it and free EXPd to Moskva.   They play very very different.   Moskva is actually really good imo.   Feel very strong (Shell and Armor Wise).   Not the best fire started but the AP is super good. 

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
11,550 battles
5 hours ago, yashma said:

The Donskoi got hit hard by the IFHE rework.  It has comparable DPM to heavy cruisers, roughly on par with the Saint Louis/Ibuki and noticeably worse than the Buffalo, but it needs IFHE in order to pen 32mm plating.  Not only did it take a massive hit to its fire chance with the rework....it also lost the ability to pen 38mm plating with IFHE.  So it was a double whammy to a ship I already felt was a little underwhelming.

Very this.

[SAPP]
Members
102 posts
9,014 battles
14 hours ago, kishan99 said:

Literally exactly how I felt.  It shoots goddamn peanuts.  It just tickles ships haha.  If I remember correctly, a citadel hit does 4k or something.   I played 14 battles in it and free EXPd to Moskva.   They play very very different.   Moskva is actually really good imo.   Feel very strong (Shell and Armor Wise).   Not the best fire started but the AP is super good. 

Appreciate your opinion.  Just got the B hull and the Donskoi and I'm also about to use my free XP and get it over with.

Members
1,660 posts
21 hours ago, IRISHSDOWN said:

When I ground through the Donskoi, the slow reload speed is what drove me mad.  I enjoyed the ship other than that.  Granted, this was before the changes to IFHE and armor calculations though.  The Moskova was a breath of fresh air after.

• Cool 1