You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

Finished the T6 camo grind

18 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
5,162 posts
13,743 battles

When it comes to getting free ships I'm usually all in. But the British CA's & European DD's have made me glad I only got 1 CA & 2 DD's from tokens. I just finished the camo grind on the Västerås. The British CA's are not nearly as bad as the European DD's are but I will not grind either line further. These are now snowflake only ships unless they receive a make over. I'm not looking for something overpowering but a more friendly to play ship.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 2

[MINVY]
[MINVY]
Members
766 posts
7,220 battles

They get better as you go up the tree, but congrats on getting the camo for the tier  6.

[CRUEL]
Members
529 posts
9,397 battles

Last night I watched an ostergotland tier 9 put 8 torps in to a musashi and only do about 35% damage. Very disappointing. I know that the torps are quick reload and are designed to do less damage but the effect of 8 torps at one time should do more damage than that.

• Cool 3

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles

Not gonna lie.....I'm quite enjoying the European destroyers.  They provide me a unique play style that other DD lines don't quite encompass.

The British heavy cruisers, while competent, did not provide much joy whatsoever.  Once again, personally speaking.  Your mileage probably will vary.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,491 posts
22,872 battles
1 hour ago, kgh52 said:

When it comes to getting free ships I'm usually all in. But the British CA's & European DD's have made me glad I only got 1 CA & 2 DD's from tokens. I just finished the camo grind on the Västerås. The British CA's are not nearly as bad as the European DD's are but I will not grind either line further. These are now snowflake only ships unless they receive a make over. I'm not looking for something overpowering but a more friendly to play ship.

The tier 8+ British heavy cruisers are good.

The tier 7 Pan European dd can kite away with 2/3 of its guns in the rear.

Tier 8 was pretty strong and good AA.

Tier 9 I'm 3k into the cammo grind and it seems ok. Very large and a little sluggish,  but nice torps.

[SALVO]
Members
26,129 posts
29,129 battles
2 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Tier 9 I'm 3k into the cammo grind and it seems ok. Very large and a little sluggish,  but nice torps.

Actually, the tier 7 Skåne has only 2 turrets, 1 fore and 1 aft.  But it's a good DD.

19 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Not gonna lie.....I'm quite enjoying the European destroyers.  They provide me a unique play style that other DD lines don't quite encompass.

The British heavy cruisers, while competent, did not provide much joy whatsoever.  Once again, personally speaking.  Your mileage probably will vary.

I'm also enjoying the Swedish DDs.  The problem with I have with the criticism of the Swedish DDs is that I know that they're pretty good.  They are NOT bad.  Not even the tier 5 and 6 DDs.  You just need to understand how to play them.  But it seems to me that the people who complain about them just don't understand how to play them properly and they keep trying to force them into the paradigm of any of the existing DD lines.  And are disappointed when they don't.  The Swedish DDs are the square pegs that the complainers are trying to fit into the round holes.

Members
739 posts
7,780 battles
1 hour ago, Darmokattenagra said:

Last night I watched an ostergotland tier 9 put 8 torps in to a musashi and only do about 35% damage.

Don't forget the Musashi has the Yamm'y's torp belt, those same torps would probably have done 70% or more to many of the other BBs, put that on a sub 1 Minute cool-down with that speed and you've got something pretty mean.

The torps are bad at Yolo kills but if you're able to stick around for a bit they add up to a whole lot of pain.

• Cool 1

[MINVY]
[MINVY]
Members
766 posts
7,220 battles
3 minutes ago, Sethanas said:

Don't forget the Musashi has the Yamm'y's torp belt, those same torps would probably have done 70% or more to many of the other BBs, put that on a sub 1 Minute cool-down with that speed and you've got something pretty mean.

The torps are bad at Yolo kills but if you're able to stick around for a bit they add up to a whole lot of pain.

Think in terms of helping teammates put reds down.. sure you can't obliterate a tier 10 BB with one or two sets. But a wounded one, you might finish off, or maybe get him to use his damage control party. Then as you kite away, set him on fire. Cruisers will cry. 

[SNGNS]
Members
601 posts
6,978 battles

its true that their torps are pretty underwhelming in damage if you throw them a top tier bbs, but (and this is one gigantic but, and i will not lie) their incredible at dealing with cruisers and making bbs very nervous (as a bb main let me tell you, torps a the stuff of nightmares and even knowing they don't do much damage doesn't help much.)

[SGSS]
Members
5,758 posts
2 hours ago, kgh52 said:

Does it look good?

[GWG]
Members
7,396 posts
14,187 battles

The one saving grace for the T6 camo mission is 'Raptor Rescue'.  I racked up an average of 1000 base on each battle.
It's a knife fighter to be sure.  You should be spending all your time doing torpedo beats and blasting DDs.
End it by racing to the end rendezvous and maybe taking out a carrier, if not just keeping it spotted.  The REAL blessing is the low HP. 
That repair ship can bring you back from 2 digit to full health quick.

But the Vasperas is a paper ship - never built.  The Visby was a real ship.  I've got the Vasperas and Visby (both with camo) on this account, and the Visby (with camo) on the alt account.
I'm done grinding these boats.

----------------------------------------

These are definitely different.  One salvo of torps can delete destroyers and light cruisers.  Anything bigger you will just make them angry.

But will I use them?  You know...  It depends on the mission.  If I had mission to just get torp hits, these might be nice. 
Go for the co-op suicide charge for a few hits a mission.
Russian DDs are tougher and can launch more torps, but the target dies usually after two hits.

It's another instrument to get things done in the WOWS toolbox.

[TDRB]
Members
5,162 posts
13,743 battles
7 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Yes, my opinion is very subjective. Ships in this game are not "one size fits all". I have no problems with those disagreeing with my views on this topic.

[LWA]
Members
1,245 posts
8 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

I agree with this except the "kite away" part.....at 32-35 knots, you are not getting away.  And the guns are horrible dispersion for a DD.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,385 posts
17,319 battles
14 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

They provide me a unique play style that other DD lines don't quite encompass.

Not even the French. There are certain similarities due to the complete lack of a smokescreen, but the nature of the torpedoes makes them substantially different.

14 hours ago, Crucis said:

But it seems to me that the people who complain about them just don't understand how to play them properly and they keep trying to force them into the paradigm of any of the existing DD lines.  

When I first got the Visby, I was flogging the Vauquelin hard to get to the Fantasque. For obvious reasons, I started playing the Visby the way I play the French DDs because they at least have the no-smoke thing in common.

Also for obvious reasons (the French destroyers have good alpha strike; the Swedes do not), this didn't work.

That being said, I KNEW the torps were weaksauce but I had to see for myself just HOW weaksauce they were in order to figure out how I was going to change things.

Let's face it - unless you're a supertester and you get to play with these things from the very beginning of their development, you're ALWAYS going to be looking for some point of reference to the existing meta as a starting point. The good players (or at least the ones who will be happy with the new line) are the ones who know they have to adapt and start looking for ways to do it.

On paper, I thought these were going to be lousy destroyers for co-op, that I was going to have a godawful time getting the camo grinds done (I got Visby and Vasteras), and that they would invariably have to be fought in Randoms to be any good at all. I was quite wrong about the Vasteras - I flogged her in co-op A LOT and had real fun doing it - and I might have to concede the same about the Visby now that she's had that off-putting gun-reload bug fixed. That doesn't change the fact that I think their best place is in Randoms, where they have time to lay on DOT damage and make their incremental presence more strongly felt. 

Maybe the intended fix for the mercy rule in co-op will extend games to the point where their average XP yield per battle rises and I'll change that opinion, but that's for the future.

ETA: Oh, I almost forgot.

11 hours ago, AVR_Project said:

If I had mission to just get torp hits, these might be nice. 
Go for the co-op suicide charge for a few hits a mission.
Russian DDs are tougher and can launch more torps, but the target dies usually after two hits.

It's another instrument to get things done in the WOWS toolbox.

Agree completely. This is one of the lenses through which I view all my ships (especially the ones I spend money or resources on).

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[BSL]
Members
1,232 posts
21,382 battles

I have multiple lines that I keep a T10 for Snowflakes, Santa, and Anniversary crates only...including all CVs I own.

[SALVO]
Members
26,129 posts
29,129 battles
7 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

When I first got the Visby, I was flogging the Vauquelin hard to get to the Fantasque. For obvious reasons, I started playing the Visby the way I play the French DDs because they at least have the no-smoke thing in common.

Also for obvious reasons (the French destroyers have good alpha strike; the Swedes do not), this didn't work.

That being said, I KNEW the torps were weaksauce but I had to see for myself just HOW weaksauce they were in order to figure out how I was going to change things.

Let's face it - unless you're a supertester and you get to play with these things from the very beginning of their development, you're ALWAYS going to be looking for some point of reference to the existing meta as a starting point. The good players (or at least the ones who will be happy with the new line) are the ones who know they have to adapt and start looking for ways to do it.

On paper, I thought these were going to be lousy destroyers for co-op, that I was going to have a godawful time getting the camo grinds done (I got Visby and Vasteras), and that they would invariably have to be fought in Randoms to be any good at all. I was quite wrong about the Vasteras - I flogged her in co-op A LOT and had real fun doing it - and I might have to concede the same about the Visby now that she's had that off-putting gun-reload bug fixed. That doesn't change the fact that I think their best place is in Randoms, where they have time to lay on DOT damage and make their incremental presence more strongly felt. 

Maybe the intended fix for the mercy rule in co-op will extend games to the point where their average XP yield per battle rises and I'll change that opinion, but that's for the future.

I think that the torps are better/more useful than people sometimes think.  I think that the problem is that too many people can't see past the low alpha to see that these quick  reloading torps can be useful for starting sticky floods, if one uses them properly.

It may turn out that these Swedish DDs aren't that great for coop.  OTOH, I think that it's possible that they may turn out to be OK, if one learns to play them in a way that's best suited to the faster games in coop and the DDs own abilities and limitations.  For example, if you have a friendly BB brawling with a bot BB, maybe get close enough that your guns' accuracy will be solid and just circle the enemy BB, peppering him with HE or AP, if you have broadside shots at the superstructure.

I won't say that these Swedish DDs are the best thing since sliced bread.  But I think that they're actually pretty good if you can learn to fight to their strengths and stay away from their weaknesses.  One strength of the higher tier DDs is their AA.  Not only is it useful for self defense, but it's useful to help defend nearby friendlies.  And I've noticed that it seems like any battle where I've earned over 10 plane kills, it's reflected in my XP.  And more so when I've gotten over 20 plane kills.  And I've had battles where enemy CVs will stay away from my high tier Swedish DD if I've knocked down 10-20 planes.  Sometimes the best AA defense is a strong reputation for being a nasty AA boat.

Members
4,479 posts
19,839 battles
21 hours ago, Darmokattenagra said:

Last night I watched an ostergotland tier 9 put 8 torps in to a musashi and only do about 35% damage. Very disappointing. I know that the torps are quick reload and are designed to do less damage but the effect of 8 torps at one time should do more damage than that.

Yeah, I thought that Sims' torps were weak until I played the Swede botes. Sims' torps have nuclear warheads in comparison. 

Vasteras' torps (7533 max damage) aint much more powerful than Tachibana's. (6133 max damage) and are weaker than Vampire's (10000 max damage) :Smile_facepalm:

Edited by ReddNekk