You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ThisIsClassic

The Nerf was Buffed

27 comments in this topic

[INTEL]
Members
3,457 posts
19,117 battles

WG told us that Credit and XP nerfs were coming to Operations and there's been plenty said both for and against the changes.

Even so, I was a little surprised to see this little extra twist that WG added.  Do poorly (0 - 3 stars) and you get more.  Do well (3 - 5 stars) and you get less.

image.thumb.png.73fa7c196e53be59a85df1fb86a28ac5.png

• Cool 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts

I may have only done a handful of operation runs (in total) and of course didn't get 4 or 5 stars, so mebbe this will be a buff for me once i get to them.

[INTEL]
Members
3,457 posts
19,117 battles
12 minutes ago, SKurj said:

I may have only done a handful of operation runs (in total) and of course didn't get 4 or 5 stars, so mebbe this will be a buff for me once i get to them.

You won't benefit from the change.  The difficulty in obtaining 4 or 5 stars is the same.  The reward is now less than before.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,385 posts
17,319 battles
2 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

The difficulty in obtaining 4 or 5 stars is the same.  The reward is now less than before.

So long as it's significantly more than what you get from three, this is still not too terrible a thing.

On the other hand, if the zero to three star wins are buffed, it might breathe new life into Newport. That one is notorious for imperfect finishes even when you succeed.

• Cool 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts
9 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

You won't benefit from the change.  The difficulty in obtaining 4 or 5 stars is the same.  The reward is now less than before.

no mean i won't get 4 or 5 anyways, so when i get to ops i will get more than i would have than if they hadn't been changed

[GOB]
Members
2,709 posts

Well we knew this would happen so no big surprise.

Did anyone think for a second that we would get the ability to mount as many Special signals AND keep the payouts the same?

A single round of NARAI would net you 10M Credits and 1M FXP .

Problem I see here is that the quitters in OPS will now all YOLO for three stars then rush off to get a new battle going.

Seems to be a Disincentive to do well ( 5 star ) 

[GOB]
Members
2,709 posts
18 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

So long as it's significantly more than what you get from three, this is still not too terrible a thing.

On the other hand, if the zero to three star wins are buffed, it might breathe new life into Newport. That one is notorious for imperfect finishes even when you succeed.

True... I may even play it again...  I quit because it hurts to work so hard for ZERO.

[INTEL]
Members
3,457 posts
19,117 battles
4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Maybe.  But probably not for me.  And that's OK I guess.  The added twist does seem to be a direct slap at the Hoperations group and that kinda stings.

The larger issue for me is with  some of the changes over the last few months it removes some incentive for me to play the mode.  Same for some ships that I enjoyed that were nerfed.  There's just been several things over the last 18 months that targeted things I find enjoyable.  There are things happening that I are improving my enjoyment but my battles per month is still going down.  When I look at it closely there are a number of factors contributing to it.  I'm still playing quite a bit but I'm already looking for things that will fill the entertainment gap that is growing.  I doubt I'll quit eh game anytime soon but there may be a tipping point where it comes sooner rather than later.

As with any update, I'll try it out and deal with it by either replacing the time I played in Ops with other things in game or find something else I enjoy.  It is however, still more enjoyable than doing chores around the house :-)

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts

as i was reading it i thought oh ok, so they nerfed it for small groups...  basically devaluing the extra effort required to do it in a 4 man...   ok so that prevents the small group that they perceive are exploiting it..

So I thought "wonder if this means when i read further down they will have left the 7 man rewards as is for 5 star..."

and they nerfed that as well...

Curious to hear how it works out for ops now if its even worth doing 5 vs 3  ... WG appear to have a poor concept of effort and time spent vs reward...  

I'd like to do ops...  just haven't got there yet...

[ARGSY]
Members
23,385 posts
17,319 battles
3 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

A single round of NARAI would net you 10M Credits and 1M FXP .

You mean one day's intensive play, don't you?

I could never grind one operation that hard for that long. In addition, the intermittent (and then increasingly prevalent) complete failures due to teams of slack-jawed glue-sniffers demoralized me so much I stopped bringing flags and special camo to ops. And before you state the obvious, my time zone is on the far eastern edge of the North American continent. I can't stay up late enough to spam ops with west-coast Hoperations players who are only just getting home from work when I'm heading to bed.

I'll still be happy to grab 800 or 900 BXP from a solid T6 ops win and take a huge bite out of a dailies stage which I can then finish in co-op.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
6,969 posts
5,521 battles

If you buff a nerf, does it make it better or worse? I'm not really sure how that works.

Kinda like if a poison is dated, is it better or worse?

• Funny 1

[GOB]
Members
2,709 posts
12 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I could never grind one operation that hard for that long. In addition, the intermittent (and then increasingly prevalent) complete failures due to teams of slack-jawed glue-sniffers demoralized me so much I stopped bringing flags and special camo to ops. And before you state the obvious, my time zone is on the far eastern edge of the North American continent. I can't stay up late enough to spam ops with west-coast Hoperations players who are only just getting home from work when I'm heading to bed.

I'll still be happy to grab 800 or 900 BXP from a solid T6 ops win and take a huge bite out of a dailies stage which I can then finish in co-op.

I was exaggerating but with the new ability to mount as many economic signals as you want, if combined with the OLD NARAI payouts, just imagine if you mounted all 8 Specials and 5 econ signals on a 5 star Narai round.  It wouldn't take long to get those numbers at all!

No way they would give us that ability with the old economy.

[INTEL]
Members
3,457 posts
19,117 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I pretty much stopped playing unless I had a Div of 4 or even 7 div mates.  And I'll probably still do that some, but with the reduced reward I expect many will not have as much incentive to play it as much.

[VRR]
[VRR]
Members
1,282 posts

It's stated In the release to BALANCE the income and XP given out compared to other play modes.  Well. It's an entirely different play MODE!

@30 minutes of play each round should pay more than a regular or coop battle . WG says it's to balance them out. RIGHT!!! ...WG can't even balance CVs ...the year of the carrier came and went and they are still all jacked up.
COOP/OPs players being strangled again. Don't force people to play things they choose not to play.

Meh WG being WG.

Edited by Versili

[H_]
Members
762 posts
12,630 battles
54 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

For Newport this is a HUGE buff.. more often then not it's between 0 & 3..  Sure the others, Nari and Raptor, and even aegis, usually 5 stars is more normal. Hate they are nerfing 4  & 5 star rewards but getting something on the other side is not a bad thing either..  Maybe my interest will drop a bit for "less rewards" yet to be seen.  Not the end of the world either.. Still wish they would bring out new ones or even the old ones they took away.

[X-PN]
Members
1,582 posts
12,174 battles

I guess we'll find out tomorrow, but I am already afraid with the wording they are using.  "balancing compared to difficultly of other modes." 

If the nerf is anywhere close to the PTS round 1 nerf level then a player can earn more in 2 coop games than one 5 star narai game and they take about the same amount of time.  The hostility towards operations players continues to astound me.

• Cool 1

[X-PN]
Members
1,582 posts
12,174 battles
20 minutes ago, S16_Hunter said:

For Newport this is a HUGE buff.. more often then not it's between 0 & 3..  Sure the others, Nari and Raptor, and even aegis, usually 5 stars is more normal. Hate they are nerfing 4  & 5 star rewards but getting something on the other side is not a bad thing either..  Maybe my interest will drop a bit for "less rewards" yet to be seen.  Not the end of the world either.. Still wish they would bring out new ones or even the old ones they took away.

Not sure I agree.  Newport is not THAT hard.  Div with me sometime and we'll go 5 star it.

[KIA-C]
Members
203 posts
20,652 battles

A lot of people here with tinfoil hats and hollow threats of the usual.

Operations used to be fun and challenging until they started to fall into two groups.  Group A (of which only Narai is left) was when you loaded up all your signals and extra special stuff because you *knew* that even if your team was meh you could probably expect 4 stars and an enormous payout.  The other half of the Operations where  you would seriously be happy with just finishing the damn thing.

It started about a year, year-and-a-half ago, this flood of morons about the same time the Ops themselves started getting tinkered with.  It was a strange hybrid player of equal parts PVE grandmaster and PVP guys with [edited] win rates.

I used to play Operations daily, not for the farming but it was *FUN* (no, really).  Way more challenging than co-op, without the Random salt.  These days I just refuse to play some of them they've gotten so retarded; at best I'll play 1 or 2 times a month - and I don't play for the rewards.

So when they're going to nerf the 4-5 star rewards that's to keep the farming in check with the new signal rules.

And when they're going to buff the 1-3 is because that's all people are going to get these days.

Is 5 stars anywhere really hard?  lmbo - NO.  But with the average players conduct and some just can't read instructions (literally), it can be difficult.

Top 3?
Don't call a target/objective, get there, and then get get killed by it.
You can't guard something from behind it.
If your ship has a heal and your camping on something that heals you you're doing it wrong.

[WOLFC]
Members
3,200 posts

This might revive an old saying once used for lazy kids ... remember "That boy's got a lot of quit in him." ? :fish_sleep:

[-TCO-]
[-TCO-]
Members
707 posts
5,986 battles

The line that caught my eye the most was:

As of now, completing an Operation with an incomplete team doesn't provide any economic advantages.

So payout has no damage base anymore? Only stars achieved? The whole point of a short team was more damage between fewer players. Am I missing something?

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
38,172 battles

So we have a cadre of people devoted to operations, who purchase ships to play them in Operations, and who regularly show up to play the game.

And WG simply gives them a raised middle finger.

Because you're stupid if you come to WOWs and want to have fun with a group of people you like doing something you all find enjoyable.

*sigh*  It a direct slap in the face to Hoperations. 

3vsdam.jpg

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
23,385 posts
17,319 battles
12 hours ago, Taichunger said:

So we have a cadre of people devoted to operations, who purchase ships to play them in Operations

Did you ever get the feeling that such people have far too narrow a focus?

You weren't there to have fun. You were there to farm. Hoperations Group outcomes are even more certain than co-op, for what up to now have been random-battles gains.

You can't see how grossly unbalanced that is?  Wargaming saw it and acted accordingly. 

If you were there solely to have fun, you wouldn't care how far they nerfed the Ops economy.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[H_]
Members
762 posts
12,630 battles
16 hours ago, YouSatInGum said:

Not sure I agree.  Newport is not THAT hard.  Div with me sometime and we'll go 5 star it.

When it comes around again i'll try to remember to ping you..  I think it's the hardest of the OP's overall.  But even if we get 5 stars we will now be earning less.. boo...