You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
uberuberkid40

Baltimore Playstyle

2 comments in this topic

Members
9 posts
2,082 battles

I recently started playing WoWs again after a year long hiatus. Noticed that I had enough experience to get the Baltimore, my second T8 ship.

I am not a good player by any means. My WR is 49% and gets as low as 13% on ships like the New Orleans. I've been doing really average in the Baltimore, averaging about 30k damage per battle with about a 50% WR. To me this seems ludicrously low at T8 although officially it seems to be the average for the entire playerbase in this ship. 

I've watched several guides on how to play this ship. Friendship ended with kiting, now islands are my new best friend. Doesn't seem to work; I sit around defending an island, scoring the occasional citadel on careless cruisers, popping radars at marauding destroyers, but sooner or later a battleship rounds the corner and shoots me up with secondary battery fire. It's worse when you play against CVs; if a carrier gets past your admittedly impressive AA while you're hugging an island corner, they can crapon you with rockets, AP bombs, etc, and you're just a stationary target. If you move, the moment you clear the corner your detection meter goes off and the little number ticks from one up to four and you know it's only a matter of time before you get deleted.

I'm also bad at positioning. Half the time it seems like I sit too far back and consequently when the flank breaks through I'm not in a position to move up and support my team. The other half of the time the flank collapses around me and I get bumrushed by a battleship.

Any tips for playing the ship that I likely haven't heard before? How to maintain good situational awareness? How to retreat from a bad situation without being citadeled to death? People say such conflicting things about this ship: it's a tanky ship, that still can't take damage at all? It has excellent guns, which slap hard when they hit, but seemingly can't hit the target in the right place? I'm frustrated because it seems like a ship with great potential but I just can't play it properly.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,202 posts
12,101 battles
2 hours ago, uberuberkid40 said:

How to retreat from a bad situation without being citadeled to death?

The problem is - you can't. The best you can hope for is timing the turn to have just the right angle before a BB reloads. Their protection is good when angled - broadside as weak as any other cruiser, with an added hiccup in that the shape of the stern actually lends to it eating rounds more. Best way is to out right avoid that scenario, which means working on awareness and just keeping an eye on your team. Beyond that is use terrain to try and protect while dodging. If possible reverse behind an island to turn around in cover, waiting till a BB has fired a shot to turn to an angle that won't bounce and might citadel.

2 hours ago, uberuberkid40 said:

I sit around defending an island, scoring the occasional citadel on careless cruisers, popping radars at marauding destroyers, but sooner or later a battleship rounds the corner and shoots me up with secondary battery fire.

If you can use concealment great - but keep moving. Don't be stationary it'll end poorly usually. The Baltimore has a 27 mm bow, compared to the Colorado's recently buffed 26 mm's - in some ways it's like a weaker BB. The guns re best at mid-short range, so you usually want to be back in the second row around where BB's should be unless they lack a spine or are IJN/UK long range snipers. You have to pick and choose when to be aggressive and how to be aggressive. Done properly, Baltimore can beat a good deal off BB's at point blank range - most lack the ability to out turn you and only the French can out run you at all, majority only have 1 turret to the stern or 2x2 reducing their usable firepower by 50% or more, and secondaries do have limited firing angles so if you stay on their stern they can't hit you as much. USN 203 mm AP has better richochet angles,meaning you can slam rounds into their stern or depending on exact angle the turret barbette to disable it. BB turret traverse is slow as is the reload - easier to exploit there. Most cruiser you can bully, HE rounds don't need IFHE and are good against DD's.

Far a Modernization/skills - CE and CM to get the spotting range down to around 10 km, Expert Marksmen is a good choice, Aiming system module 1 - slots 2 and 4 I'd say either the stuff to lessen fires/floodings or improve engine/rudder survivability and acceleration. 

Beyond that I honestly have no idea how to describe what I do when I play USN CA other than 'like a BB with less health' because I just kinda know what to do I don't think much.

I'll try to link a replay from a game while typing this, top tier but 4 ships sunk including an opposing Baltimore and an Izmail you'll see me charge and actually citadel 10+ times, 130,000 damage dealt, over 1 million tanked, and then get a bit to cocky and end up in a bad position against WV' 41 while low on health. Thing's being weird and not letting me upload a file.

20200407_033559_PASC108-Baltimore-1944_22_tierra_del_fuego.wowsreplay

Should be it -

Captain skills - Preventive Maitnence

Expert Marksman

BFT

AFT

Modernization's - MAM1

DCSM 1

ASM 1

DCSM 2

CSM 1

Yes, I don't use priority target (only one captain has it, forget which boat and it was more recent to see if it changed much for me) because I generally assume if I'm spotted every gun on the red team is pointing at me and use the map to figure out best way to angle and go between angles till I know exactly who is shooting at me. 

Edited by WanderingGhost