Sign in to follow this  
Snargfargle

Learn Something While You are Stuck at Home

8 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,489 posts

This is a picture of the Furious, as seen in WOWS. In 1918 she carried Sopwith Camels.

HMS_Furious-8.jpg

This got me wondering about the company that produced the planes and what happened to it. A little searching led me to this excellent video. The man in the video is Tom Sopwith himself.

• Cool 3

[V_V_V]
Members
966 posts
17,011 battles

Furious also carried Sopwith Scouts ("Pups") during 1917.  in 1926, a Pup was catapulted off USS Idaho at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Dunning_Landing-on_Furious_In_Pup.jpg

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,489 posts
2 minutes ago, Charon2018 said:

Furious also carried Sopwith Scouts ("Pups") during 1917.  in 1926, a Pup was catapulted off USS Idaho at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Dunning_Landing-on_Furious_In_Pup.jpg

There is a good channel by a guy that might actually be in competition for "the most interesting man in the world." In it he flies either originals or exact replicas of most of the early planes. Apparently, the "Pup" is easy to fly, whereas the "Camel" is a novice pilot's nightmare but is highly-maneuverable in the hands of an experienced flyer. Here he is flying a "Snipe," which was delivered in the last weeks of WWI. 

• Cool 4

[RLGN]
Members
15,661 posts
27,384 battles

Sigh...

Going to bed. Vids for in the morning then.

(21 Randoms and a few more Co-op today. Used to play more on weekend days, but there’s little motivation to continue past the third container, and the second daily.)

[V_V_V]
Members
966 posts
17,011 battles

I've been fortunate enough to get rides in the DH Gypsy Moth, Stearman PT-17, and New Standard D-25 biplanes.  Being a pilot, on my bucket list is a visit to Kermit Weeks' FOF Museum in Fla.  Thanks for his great Snipe video.

Edited by Charon2018

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,211 posts
12,115 battles
52 minutes ago, Charon2018 said:

visit to Kermit Weeks' FOF Museum in Fla.

If it's anytime soon think you can stop in Pensacola at the NNAM and give back the Me-262 that used to be at NAS/JRB Willow Grove. One of the many aircraft I miss seeing when going past from their collection. That and when it was more active and could routinely see the fighters taking off and landing - especially the F-14's. 

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,489 posts
7 hours ago, WanderingGhost said:

Me-262 

I was actually born in the town where the Me-262 was first flown. The airfield is still there and is used by the local glider club.

[V_V_V]
Members
966 posts
17,011 battles
13 hours ago, WanderingGhost said:
Spoiler

If it's anytime soon think you can stop in Pensacola at the NNAM and give back the Me-262 that used to be at NAS/JRB Willow Grove. One of the many aircraft I miss seeing when going past from their collection. That and when it was more active and could routinely see the fighters taking off and landing - especially the F-14's. 

Thanks for reminding me of both of those sites too.  My list just gets bigger.  I'll have a lot of catching up to do when they reopen.

Me-262.jpg

Sign in to follow this