You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Learux

So many posts get removed?

42 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
964 posts

Do we have overly sensitive moderators.

I have been on internet forums for over 2 decades. I have never seen moderators this zealous.

Why is that?

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,624 battles

You don"t seriously expect anyone to answer that, now do you? LOL!!

• Cool 1

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles
8 minutes ago, Umikami said:

You don"t seriously expect anyone to answer that, now do you?

^   Best to keep silent

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
7,170 posts
4,063 battles

What got removed? In my experience you hear this, and it refers to 2 or 3 topics that got removed (or combined) that were either just flame bait or all identical if combined. 

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,497 posts
27 minutes ago, Learux said:

Do we have overly sensitive moderators.

I have been on internet forums for over 2 decades. I have never seen moderators this zealous.

Why is that?

This thread will probably be locked for even mentioning it.

It's not just on this forum. Most forums are run as dictatorships with what constitutes "acceptable" being purely on the whim of the administrators or an enforced policy from the company that owns the message board service. At the best, one can only hope for benevolent dictators. At the worst the "moderation" is arbitrary and inconsistent.

I've actually been a moderator on forums and have left them myself over the arbitrary nature of the administration. When moderation becomes too heavy-handed then people will start leaving a forum in droves. I went back the other day and took a look at a once-thriving tech support forum that I once was a technician on but left when the moderation became too stringent. While the forum is still technically running, I noticed that most of the subforums haven't had a post in weeks.

[PVE]
Members
10,926 posts
18,908 battles

I don't know, but some of my best one liners were in those deleted threads.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,497 posts
1 minute ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I don't know, but some of my best one liners were in those deleted threads.

The next time I'm banned from this forum for posting a history documentary I'm leaving it for good.

[PVE]
Members
10,926 posts
18,908 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

The next time I'm banned from this forum for posting a history documentary I'm leaving it for good.

I have never been banned or even had a post deleted, I got a warning once, for just showing a statue of a guy with his head up his Butt.

Members
12,597 posts
14,320 battles
1 hour ago, kishan99 said:

^   Best to keep silent

Yeah it is best to be careful.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

[EQRN]
Members
2,209 posts
19,820 battles

18 minutes ago, Madwolf05 said:

What got removed? In my experience you hear this, and it refers to 2 or 3 topics that got removed (or combined) that were either just flame bait or all identical if combined. 

A couple of threads regarding KoTS drama got whacked.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,497 posts
6 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I have never been banned or even had a post deleted, I got a warning once, for just showing a statue of a guy with his head up his Butt.

I got banned once for saying that I got carried in a game like a socialite carries a chihuahua puppy. Most of the admins and moderators here have been pretty decent but occasionally there is one that should never have been put into that position.

What is even more of a problem is that you don't get in-forum notifications of warnings anymore. Perhaps you get an email but most of those just go into spam where they are deleted after a week.

Changing the rules and tossing up an addendum post saying that you've done it doesn't help much either because who goes and re-reads the rules every day before posting?

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
10,926 posts
18,908 battles
4 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I got banned once for saying that I got carried in a game like a socialite carries a chihuahua puppy. Most of the admins and moderators here have been pretty decent but occasionally there is one that should never have been put into that position.

What is even more of a problem is that you don't get in-forum notifications of warnings anymore. Perhaps you get an email but most of those just go into spam where they are deleted after a week.

I hear ya there Snarg, they seem to lighten up after they have been here for a few weeks but a lot of them are a bit overzealous as boot-camps.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[NWOC]
[NWOC]
Members
1,056 posts
13,826 battles
7 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Was that you Sov'dawg? Pse send a thread where I can find the picture. It is the first, and only, picture I have seen of a forums moderator, seeking personal best advice.

Catch you after my ban.

[-KAK-]
Members
614 posts
12,724 battles
23 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

What? Seriously? They're disciplining people for that!?!? This is the sort of crowd that would go for something like that! Not to mention, I'd rather get a good documentary thread going, rather than another X threads on our usual varied topics like CV Bad, DD Bad, BB Bad, Team Bad, Div Bad, WG Bad, People who say WG bad Bad, etc...

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,497 posts
8 minutes ago, TheOmegaDuck said:

rather than another X threads on our usual varied topics like CV Bad, DD Bad, BB Bad, Team Bad, Div Bad, WG Bad, People who say WG bad Bad, etc...

I participate in off-topic discussions, write song parodies, and post Chat Funnies because if I didn't there would be little to keep me here. After a year or so you have pretty much said all you can about the game itself.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[WOLFH]
Members
1,240 posts

I'll be gone for good if I get another warning for quoting from an official WG update announcement.

[K-POP]
Members
4,851 posts
13,468 battles
53 minutes ago, FrodoFraggin said:

A couple of threads regarding KoTS drama got whacked.

And if the one I’m thinking of was one of those (the one with stat shaming and WG not controlling rules), I can honestly say I’m surprised it lasted the few hours it did, seeing how bad it was even at the beginning before going downhill from there. 

However, OP, as others have already said, discussing moderation is against the rules of the forum (however much I would personally argue that that should be more about specific moderation actions rather than general questions that are only asking about that sort of action in the broadest sense where it wouldn’t necessarily be as applicable). So....

3DF186D2-CC9E-4968-BD2B-C2BDD7537703.gif.ac67da56d338dabc3f555ae7540ed91e.gif

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07

[SALVO]
Members
7,046 posts
5,529 battles

Yup I got stuff deleted too (with reason, to be honest). It all boils down to the mod in charge, I've had nice ones that take the time to explain why. Others might be an algorythm and go in a very mechanical way.

49 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I got banned once for saying that I got carried in a game like a socialite carries a chihuahua puppy.

Really? Why? Mod was a PETA member or something?

1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

Now I'm curious... Was something particulary touchy?

Years ago a friend of mine got banned for posting a meme cat. That's the worst I've seen the mods react.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,497 posts
19 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Now I'm curious... Was something particularly touchy?

A History Guy documentary on the history of bathroom tissue. I'd link it but I probabaly would get banned again.

Of course, we are dealing with a company here that's not American and from a part of the globe that didn't have free speech for most of the 20th century. If you search the news, you will find that a nearby, once-politically-related country has made it an actual crime to mention "recent events in the news." Since so many of us here are from the US, Canada, Australia, etc. I sometimes forget that WG is actually a Belarusian company.  

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,494 posts
22,903 battles
57 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Changing the rules and tossing up an addendum post saying that you've done it doesn't help much either because who goes and re-reads the rules every day before posting?

I got....

Oh wait I can't discuss that ........... action or I'll be perma.....

SILENCE!!!!!

Our moderators are great at .......

[Yes there is humor intended]

I have had my hand slapped and reminded that IB4L is not appropriate. 

[PVE]
Members
1,696 posts
16,883 battles

well, let's see...I've had threads locked for discussing the WG MM patent, which I think is rediculous because it's public knowledge - a quick google search will find it.

I've also had entire pages of comments deleted in MM threads for arguing that the "snowball effect" can't happen without something causing it, unless we are discussing quantum physics.

Received warnings and then threatened by a moderator with "further action" after asking what forum rule I had broken in said threads.

Edited by Rabbitt81

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,497 posts
6 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

SILENCE!!!!!

If you never hear from me again after tomorrow then you can assume that I was banned for posting in this thread. Like I said, if it happens again I'm leaving for good. I worked for 45 years in the military, civilian public service, and in education. I believe that I know how to comport myself in a discussion without being "moderated."

[BUOY]
Members
1,216 posts
16,267 battles

Honestly, from my 'never been personally infracted' perspective, moderation on the forums has been pretty even handed in removing flames, keeping OT stuff such as political jabs off and so on while letting even harshly critical but topical threads, such as most all of those relating to the PR disaster, have a place.