You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DeadIyArT

Radio Location RPF OR RDF?

20 comments in this topic

[ISLA]
Beta Testers
679 posts
12,806 battles

Have to say its one of the best Commander skils out there.  Have it on almost all my DD.   But i had a match today can i cant for life of me know where and when it started to be call RPF (Radio Position Finder).  I know since its come out I have been calling RDF (Radio Direction Finder)   Radio Direction Finders really do exist and are you in the same manner in the game.  They give you a some what direction in the radio waves do travel.  But it also bounces of land and other object needing for you to take multiple bearing to get a real direction.  That all being said it an arcade game and is loosely bast on life.  So the real question when did people start call it RPF and why?

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,624 battles

icon_RadioPositionFinding_dark.png

Radio Position Finding

This is probably the reason the skill is referred to as Radio Position Finding.

(Reading has become so totally OP that it just HAD to be nerfed.)

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles

I say RPF

Edit: what I do in game, is if I am located, I will just type in chat, I am located.   If I am locating someone, I will ping on the map and say, "Radio".   I never really say RPF

Edited by kishan99

[A-I-M]
Members
3,874 posts
14,899 battles
10 minutes ago, DeadIyArT said:

So the real question when did people start call it RPF and why?

Really simply: WG is who decided to end up calling it RPF. But in truth, it is RDF-like (except for the fact that it tells the ships whose bearing has been found.

So, for the sake of clarity, you kind of have to call it RPF.

[ISLA]
Beta Testers
679 posts
12,806 battles

2144337191_Screenshot_2020-04-06Commander-GlobalwikiWargamingnet.thumb.png.36f49ff7cbf29dae51ddc23aadcadcf0.pnghttps://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander

They must have moved or changed the name because it not listed as Radio Position Finder.  They must have seen there error and removed it.  Just really hoping they would call it was it really is RDF. Radio Direction Finder

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,844 posts
4,285 battles

People use both, and eveyone knows what you mean either way.

I think it's RPF in game. But people use RDF as well because that's what it was called IRL. Could be other way around, but one is what it is in WOWS, the other is the IRL name.

[USCGC]
[USCGC]
Members
827 posts
7,428 battles

Our ships and large boats carry Radio Direction Finders (US Coast Guard). I've even worked on them at points in my career. They have never been called RPF, because all they do is give you the direction (line of bearing) to the source of a radio transmission, and not a position, which is a fixed point in space.

They are useful tools in SAR (Search and Rescue) as well as combat in the form of EW (Electronic Warfare). In game it gives you a general idea of direction to the nearest enemy. But with out the range, all you have is the direction and not the position. Works the same way in real life except the equipment we have these days gives you a bit more precision on the line of bearing.

Not sure why WG ever gave it the name of RPF.

Edited by Diesel_Thunder
  • Cool 1

[ISLA]
Beta Testers
679 posts
12,806 battles
1 minute ago, Diesel_Thunder said:

Our ships and large boats carry Radio Direction Finders (US Coast Guard). I've even worked on them at points in my career. They have never been called RPF, because all they do is give you the bearing (line of direction) to the source of a radio transmission, and not a position, which is a fixed point in space.

They are useful tools in SAR (Search and Rescue) as well as combat in the form of EW (Electronic Warfare).

Thank god some else get it

Members
246 posts
310 battles

How can people keep calling it "RPF" is beyond me.

It doesn't show you the "position" of the ship, only the direction of the ship. It is RDF. Period.

Members
246 posts
310 battles
6 minutes ago, Diesel_Thunder said:

They didn't. It's called "Radio Location" in the game and the description specifically mentions it showing the "direction" of the nearest ship.

RPF is something people pulled out of their holes.

Edited by KosmicRavioli

[WOLF5]
Members
908 posts
37,604 battles
3 minutes ago, Diesel_Thunder said:

Our ships and large boats carry Radio Direction Finders (US Coast Guard). I've even worked on them at points in my career. They have never been called RPF, because all they do is give you the bearing (line of direction) to the source of a radio transmission, and not a position, which is a fixed point in space.

They are useful tools in SAR (Search and Rescue) as well as combat in the form of EW (Electronic Warfare).

Probably because it doesn't give a true bearing to the ship, it just indicates what sector the ship is in in relation to your ship

[USCGC]
[USCGC]
Members
827 posts
7,428 battles
6 minutes ago, h9k_a said:

Probably because it doesn't give a true bearing to the ship, it just indicates what sector the ship is in in relation to your ship

Real world direction finders can give both true bearing and relative bearing. The difference is true bearings are referenced to North (true or magnetic), where relative bearings are reference to the vessel or aircraft carrying the RDF equipment.

What we get in game is a relative bearing, which between the two, is easier to understand.

Edited by Diesel_Thunder
  • Cool 1

[OO7]
Members
481 posts
29,232 battles

Even though it started as rpf, it's now radio location. I refer to it as rl now

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,495 posts
22,906 battles

I have allways used RPF.

Not all my dds have it, for various different builds.

My ZAO & Henry do, however. 

[WOLFC]
Members
3,200 posts
2 hours ago, Diesel_Thunder said:

Me either, but It'll always be stuck in my head as RPF ... I'm not sure when the name was changed to Radio Location, but I still remember the skill was one of the new ones that showed up (along with IFHE, CV planes taking off with decks on fire, and several others) in Release 6.0.

Now, when I get excited in game, I'll sometimes call it RDP ... that's not a typo, just a brain fart.  At my age you're entitled to several per day. :fish_boom:

RPF.jpg

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,502 posts
3 hours ago, DeadIyArT said:

Radio Direction Finders really do exist and are you in the same manner in the game.  So the real question when did people start call it RPF and why?

They are both correct inasmuch as people generally know what you are talking about. Technically, "direction" would be more appropriate in the game as "position" implies that you know both direction and distance. However, position also can be determined by triangulation of either three stationary direction finders or one finder if it is mobile and takes several readings.

I'd like to see three Shimakazes in a coordinated division all with RPF and 20 km torps use actual triangulation to locate an unseen enemy. That would be interesting to see.

I agree with you that RPF is a good skill. I have it on my Des Moines and it serves me well when going into caps or trying to figure out if there is anything in a smoke cloud when my radar is on cooldown.

Edited by Snargfargle

[WOLF5]
Members
908 posts
37,604 battles
4 hours ago, Diesel_Thunder said:

Real world direction finders can give both true bearing and relative bearing. The difference is true bearings are referenced to North (true or magnetic), where relative bearings are reference to the vessel or aircraft carrying the RDF equipment.

What we get in game is a relative bearing, which between the two, is easier to understand.

Not quite. Real world gives a bearing to the transmission point source. The RPF in game gives a bearing to the sector that the closest ship is currently in. That's why when the ship transits into a different sector the RPF indicator jumps instead of smoothly following the ship. 

[TF_64]
Members
174 posts
5 hours ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Really simply: WG is who decided to end up calling it RPF. But in truth, it is RDF-like (except for the fact that it tells the ships whose bearing has been found.

So, for the sake of clarity, you kind of have to call it RPF.

It doesn't give a position. It gives a bearing without a range. Without a range, you'd need two or more bearings would give a position.

The bearing ambiguity is very large as well, so even if you could do a cross-bearing check with another ship, the area of uncertainty would be very, very large. 

Members
2,070 posts
12,694 battles

I'd say RPF is more accurate for what we have in game since it points to the grid square the ship is in which is a position with a large margin of error.