You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Did_I_hurt_U

CV snipers

62 comments in this topic

Members
54 posts
47 battles

So Yuro released a video about CV sniping last week in I was wondering if it's possible with other combinations.

T4 CV and T5 Kongos

T6 CV and Nagatos

T8 CV and Musashis

Just curious, Im tempted is start a contest to see who can achieve the most in one week.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 3

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts

Fuso can hit them not long after match start within the first minute or so... if they stay parked too long...  that's the only one i have tried...  I don't recall the map sorry...  Had a match vs 2 T6 cv's  I managed to hit at least one before they moved from spawn and by the end of the match i had sunk them both :) a high point for me that day... love my fuso...

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Members
2,444 posts
14,519 battles

Musashi was basically the key because it can get a huge firing range, especially with spotters.  The only time otherwise that it would be available/possible would be on shrunken maps (like what we had during clan brawls).

[SGSS]
Members
5,758 posts
2 hours ago, Did_I_hurt_U said:

So Yuro released a video about CV sniping last week in I was wondering if it's possible with other combinations.

T4 CV and T5 Kongos

T6 CV and Nagatos

T8 CV and Musashis

Just curious, Im tempted is start a contest to see who can achieve the most in one week.

The Funnest thing about this is all the cv haters think its so funny. But in order to do it you have to play a cv.

So you hate them but need them for this "joke".

Thats ironic!

Edited by jags_domain
  • Cool 6
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 1

Members
7,122 posts
22,052 battles

We had a fail div of a Graf and two Musashi's this morning... they got slaughtered. It was comical, the enemy CV bolted immediately and all three of the fail army got to close and burned to death. 

• Cool 6

[WOLF4]
Members
395 posts
17,283 battles
9 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

The Funnest thing about this is all the cv haters thinkbits so funny. But in order to do it you have to play a cv.

actually if you take out the opponents cv at the beginning of the match it is a great advantage don't know about the joke end of it.

must be a cv player..learn to dodge

Edited by Tim__2016
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[GRETA]
Members
1,378 posts
10,609 battles

The lowest tier ship I have done this in was a colorado back in the rts days.  With the spotter plane it can shoot far enough, the question is if you will actually hit what you are shooting at.

[SGSS]
Members
5,758 posts

BB have to much range.

Maybe the lesson here is to listen to your cv player because he knows things you dont.

When the cv player tells you a ship used dam com listen to him.  Watch yiur friendly planes turn a ship and fire when it goes broad side.

Maybe for the first time everyone can work together and stop hating.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 8

[SGSS]
Members
5,758 posts
11 minutes ago, Tim__2016 said:

actually if you take out the opponents cv at the beginning of the match it is a great advantage don't know about the joke end of it.

must be a cv player..learn to dodge

Again that is a very tired statment. At least try to be clever

#removeDD

• Cool 1

Members
4,085 posts
44,091 battles

In Randoms, I was sniped a few times before that video came out. But when I was in one place, it's relatively easy. But there is a caveat.

If I am moving and I mention CV snipe, then my BBs on my team are going to wait for the guns to fire and return fire.

In cases where I mention that in game, the BBs on my team ask me to spot the BBs for counter sniping.

You see, it's all good and fun to snipe a CV, but if red's BBs are hammering you and I spot you long enough for team cruisers to melt some AA, then I begin my hard counter.

And we all know BBs hate to flood and burn at the same time.

I was asked to do a training room session with my Enterprise and a Yamato as the shooter. And the Yammy would have to look with a scout plane and a DD that scouts but does not fire.

It was to simulate active CV evasive action and CV real time attacks. The emphasis is whether it's practical to do the practice if a CV is doing evasive action. The Yammy has to stay at range to get it right.

However, I had to not participate as I had other things happen.

I think it's a good tactic, but it could also be a waste of time and also a potential disaster as the shooter BBs might get counter sniped. In most instances, you have to set up not moving well away from DD torps and cruisers. So the likely spot is next to the division CV. But that means the CV has committed his base fighters to defend the BBs and also from the spots the target CV triggers. Once you run out and waste fighters in an unsuccessful attempt, the target CV will just have successfully permaspot the BBs and later the division CV.

It's only a matter of time.

If a red CV is on the move, then give it up. He is probably on to the division. Especially since you see it at start of match. Only a dummy sits his CV in one spot.

The division has also another problem. Should the red CV be super aggressive and hard push a flank and his team goes with him, then your CV/ BB division is screwed. You are about to get rolled.

Because players confident in their shooting ability and are very aware of a CV push will automatically be next to the CV for the push. It's smart players that intuitively without a word said, already know what to do.

Yuro has a great concept, but it will leave an opening for counter sniping or a heavy push.

I have had the pleasure of just such a team, that hardly knew me follow my push and I wreaked havoc. The fleet was with me and since Hakuryu AA is sufficiently stronger than Midway, it's a no-brainer to just be next to me. Suddenly, you see rail gun like fire from BBs and DDs popping smoke to hide me, cruisers in open water doing matrix like moves. All the while I am making a couple of BBs and AA cruisers very uncomfortable.

So, while it's a flavor of the month, it will not last.

Smart players know what to do. And what is great about that match is I didn't know anyone there. They had no time to figure me out, but somehow, they knew their roles, and executed well.

I only got maybe 1, I can't recall. But we did win decisively. I was not even in the top 5. That didn't matter. It was me being a strike CV, but doing bada-- spotting. And my team, just knowing what to do. And I hardly division. Let alone as a CV.

I will not attempt the practice because the fighters I use are more needed to spot all over the map.

I have found that a CV can win most effectively by spotting all over. Wasting planes on 1 ship is a gamble. And I want certainty. And the best thing for my team is to provide permanent spotting of every nook and cranny on the map.

It's true, I see everything. But if I do it successfully and my team takes full advantage, then not only did I do my job, but I got us the win. I will get me some. I just do it at the end. Usually at about 5-7 minutes in. So 15 minute mark, hide.

😏😎😈🔥🐉

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,817 posts
7,512 battles

I load into a match in a CV w/ 2 Musashi on the other side? .....   What I see?.. A pile of replenishable HPs with no AA...   I'll "Just Dodge" for a bit and check them for the same shortly.    1st time I saw this last week, admittedly they got me before I realized the deal...  saw it twice  since.... Potato Musashi's and a pile of fall on their face fail..... 

Sure it's meme when it works..... But loading in a division with two terrible AA BBs and guaranteeing a CV match?   

4575db28d6538e45ff70be8a8f7c0002.gif

Members
4,085 posts
44,091 battles

Jokes aside. And I sail all ship types, so if I get sunk in my CV, then that is on me. I am not going to blame my team for failing to counter or defend me.

I am there for the team. But they don't have to worry about me. Just focus on the job. If it's grim and I go down, then I fully expect my team to do their best because I really tried.

If many players perceive this as a joke, then I fully expect them to laugh at themselves when I field a submarine. Because I played just about every sim out there officially. And some, well. Let's just say, you thought what I did up there is mean. Down below, I could be even more dangerous. And no, I didn't do any of the testing. Trust me, I would have broken it.

Nope, joke about it now, but my teammates will be laughing when you fail.

Jokes are only funny if both sides think it's funny.

There is a fine line between humor and ridicule. Know the difference. Show players respect. Taunting in chat does not make you a superior officer, just a superior d---k.

Be nice.

Have fun out there captains.

<O

• Cool 2

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts

Guess some of the mechanics here I am not aware of.

I was able to fire on the enemy cv's using my spotter plane to extend my range while one of our CV's lit up theirs.  We had just spawned and I was able to get a couple shots off as i was moving to one of the flanks and i had the range to do so before they were hidden again.  Guess I don't understand why a Div is necessary? never have played as part of a div.

easily within the first couple mins.

[OO7]
Members
481 posts
29,212 battles

Tried and succeeded in doing the spawn peak thing twice. Once as a cv and once as a musashi. Feels pretty good to successful kill a cv considering they are in no danger 99% of the time. 

• Cool 2

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,468 posts
13,117 battles

Never had it work against me, then again, first thing I do when the match starts is get moving.

I understand the difference between and aircraft carrier and an airfield.

• Cool 2

[D-H-O]
Beta Testers, Volunteer Moderator
316 posts
6,856 battles

It's pretty simple for me in a CV... Set multiple points with the plot point setup on the mini map in the direction I want to go... I make sure to make them short enough in turns that I may get a lucky shot in on me, but most likely I'm in a turn....  The other fun one is use your Q&E keys and just roll a circle for the first few minutes.  

Members
4,085 posts
44,091 battles
1 hour ago, Did_I_hurt_U said:

T4 CV and T5 Kongos

T6 CV and Nagatos

T8 CV and Musashis

Contests? It's a flavor of the month. In about a month, players will lose games because the CV is not spotting the whole map. A DD slips through and the CV as well as the Battleships get sunk. Then neither side has air cover, but one side still has a plus 2 BB advantage.

The CV that spots the whole map increases their team's chances of winning ten fold, but is contingent upon accurate gunfire and team taking full advantage.

Contests are great I suppose, but I am not inclined to participate. I would need 1 heck of an incentive. 1 Ginormous, epic incentive. The compelling reason would be almost a miracle to behold. Definitely not impossible, maybe a bridge too far, and surely reasonable at best.

Not even a super Yammy would do. That's intangible. Money, Nope. Fame, forget about it. Recognition, not even close.

There are some things that are priceless. Yet, fail to achieve it, and it just might cost you everything.

I take a lot of risks, sometimes gamble, and quite often invest time.

To this day, I am still taking a big risk. Because no matter how hard or damaging the ordeal, one has to keep at it.  The reward is a lifetime of achievement.

For this contest, I am sure a crate would work if you can get one. I am sure some players would probably like that. It's just not my cup of tea. Some team attempts CV snipe on me, I know what to do.

🤔🙄

Edited by SteelRain_Rifleman

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,858 posts
25,782 battles

Battleships below Tier IX just don't have the range to reach out to 28km+ like what the Musashi was doing in Eurobeat's video, even with Spotter Plane.

Even in Tier IX-X, most of them don't have that kind of range even with Spotter Plane.

Tier VI Fuso for example has one of the longest ranged BB guns below Tier IX with 21.81km fully upgraded.  She has more range than Tier VII Nagato, VIII Amagi, and even IX Izumo.  Yet even with Spotter Plane, she'll only reach out to 26.1km. Below Tier IX, all the other BB Lines are much worse than that.  Some don't even have Spotter Plane.  Many are below 20km in their normal max gun range.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Beta Testers
501 posts
3,962 battles

Carrier sniping don't really work if the carrier put his ship in reverse before the match even starts. Now at the carrier players bad and just lets his carrier just sit there then yeah

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,884 posts
14,882 battles
2 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

The range on t6 and below BBs are not that far... I dont think its possible..

2 hours ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

Musashi was basically the key because it can get a huge firing range, especially with spotters.  The only time otherwise that it would be available/possible would be on shrunken maps (like what we had during clan brawls).

It would also be possible with some of the low to mid tier maps such as Big Race where a Kongo can cover most of the map from the spawn.

Members
4,085 posts
44,091 battles
2 hours ago, jags_domain said:

The Funnest thing about this is all the cv haters thinkbits so funny. But in order to do it you have to play a cv.

Yes, the irony of taking out a Sith ship type by hiring a Sith to begin with.

It's like asking Darth Vader to attack for the Rebels and to take out the Emperor.

But wait, that sort of happened by accident.

I can imagine one fine day, I leave work, a van shows up out of nowhere, and I get kidnapped. Then the players that did it, force me to help them win 1000 games in a row.

Then after they win substantially, I am dumped outside my house with a sack full of silver. And they tell me: "We might need you later, so don't go running off you CV 😈🔥🔥🔥

• Funny 1

Members
4,085 posts
44,091 battles
2 hours ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

We had a fail div of a Graf and two Musashi's this morning... they got slaughtered. It was comical, the enemy CV bolted immediately and all three of the fail army got to close and burned to death. 

⬆️This. The problem with firing that far is you are giving away your position early. And the counter is easy. Spot them to death. Both BBs down fast. Musashi has terrible AA.  A few volleys of HE and the light AA is gone. A CV can plug them both in the opening 3 minutes.

[CYNIC]
Members
2,911 posts
7,800 battles

T8 CV and above can take each other down without much fuss -- I've done it losing only 4 aircraft (midway on audacious).

In randoms this will have marginal success to the match as the CV itself can't carry 11 others after wasting that much time.  Just can't and won't happen. (cv take down other cv, wastes time better spent killing other ships).  Had a game this morning where the CV was AFK the entire match and we still won.  Granted 3 radar ships and a DD wasted most of the match chasing me in a fletcher which led them into a trap.

[SALVO]
Members
26,129 posts
29,129 battles
3 hours ago, SKurj said:

Guess some of the mechanics here I am not aware of.

I was able to fire on the enemy cv's using my spotter plane to extend my range while one of our CV's lit up theirs.  We had just spawned and I was able to get a couple shots off as i was moving to one of the flanks and i had the range to do so before they were hidden again.  Guess I don't understand why a Div is necessary? never have played as part of a div.

easily within the first couple mins.

The reason for the div is so that the CV player can coordinate with the 2 BB players.  Obviously, a CV and BBs don't absolutely need to be div'd to get this done.  But that would require some communication in text chat and the CV and BB players to be on the same page.  With a div, it's almost certain that the 3 players will be on the same page, I'd think.

• Cool 1