You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Dr_Venture

Zepplin worth it?

58 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,179 posts
6,387 battles

I've been debating on buying the Graf, with the release of the German CV's...it makes me want it slightly more to train a captain.

Will a Graf CO carry on over the line? 

What's good about the Graf anyway?

0 posts

Unless sweeping changes are made to German CVs you will have buyers remorse. Low damage output and fragile planes with small hangar space. The AP bombs were nerfed to oblivion and are the poorest of any CV if I am not mistaken.

Edit: forgot you can yolo into stuff with secondaries.

Edited by Ban_CV_Complainers
  • Cool 3

[SGSS]
Members
5,744 posts
Just now, Dr_Venture said:

I've been debating on buying the Graf, with the release of the German CV's...it makes me want it slightly more to train a captain.

Its is very very fun.  The planes are extremely fast.  You can hit over 20 torps in game if your aim is good.  The AP bombs were very well, you inly get 2 but they own nicely.

I dont know about the rocket planes because I have never used them.

Its worth the pick up.

Don't go full sec its the planes that matter the sec are for lol.

[-N-]
Members
2,247 posts
15,098 battles

It is a Meme Ship, her secondaries are likely more powerful than Bismarck's.  Her bombers are decent as is her torp planes.  But they are like other premiums save Saipan and Indomitable, basically a T7 craft on a T8 carrier.  Saipan and Indomitable (Sky Conq) are more like T9 on a T8. 

[SGSS]
Members
5,744 posts
Just now, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

Unless sweeping changes are made to German CVs you will have buyers remorse. Low damage output and fragile planes with small hangar space. The AP bombs were nerfed to oblivion and are the poorest of any CV if I am not mistaken.

The biggest issue with the new German cv is the health pool t8 and above. The new Russian crusier with atupid aa value and every ship gets a fighter.

Also DD will be a big problem. They will have no effective was of dealibg with them.

[PSV]
Members
531 posts
19,612 battles

It’s my least favourite of the tier 8 premiums CVs. It has fast planes and that’s about it. The rockets and torp bombers are both decent. 

The dive bombers have a unique drop pattern that is pretty easy to use. However, the bombs are wonky. I still have not figured out how to get consistent citadels with the DBs. There is a lot of RNG in WoWS and these DBs are the definition of RNG. Very very frustrating to use. The bombs seem to have a habit of going out to the edges of the reticle and either overpenning or flat out missing. But every once in a while you’ll get the nice close cluster you’re looking for.

Members
1,478 posts
7,133 battles

The GZ is a good CV but hard to play well. Some players like Toptier rock in it and score big damage while others struggle to do 20k. 

Edited by USMC2145

0 posts
6 minutes ago, USMC2145 said:

The GZ is a good CV but hard to play well. Some players like Toptier rock in it and score big damage while other struggle to do 20k. 

exception to the rule right here. Somewhere somebody has a good game with any ship. 

Edited by Ban_CV_Complainers
  • Cool 1

0 posts

you will love it or hate it, and be offered plenty of terrible advice on how to play it.

Graf is adaptable, but there are better CVs for an inexperienced CV player, to explore 1st.

• Boring 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,824 posts
4,285 battles

It's a meme ship, the secondaries are best in the game. The planes not so much. The best part is when enemy DDs try and chase you, I have yet to see a DD survive a run on a GZ. I don't think people play it for the CV, they play it for the 2 CLs. It was the CV of choice for clan brawl saturday.

[SALVO]
6,179 posts
6,387 battles
21 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

you will love it or hate it, and be offered plenty of terrible advice on how to play it.

Graf is adaptable, but there are better CVs for an inexperienced CV player, to explore 1st.

I've been monkeying with the Lexington to learn how to CV. 

Faster planes seem to appeal to me much more. I can land torps no problem as well. 

Plus I'm outta lines to grind....

[SALVO]
6,179 posts
6,387 battles

Can you build for secondaries + keep it viable as a decent CV? What are the builds for it?

[WAP]
Beta Testers
337 posts
11,762 battles
16 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

I've been monkeying with the Lexington to learn how to CV. 

Faster planes seem to appeal to me much more. I can land torps no problem as well. 

Plus I'm outta lines to grind....

For torp play you might consider the Kaga.  The planes are flying gas tanks but you have tons of them.  Very easy to play. 

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,221 posts
22,804 battles
1 hour ago, Dr_Venture said:

What German CV's??

[INTEL]
Members
3,456 posts
19,103 battles

I've found two uses for it. (Spec'd as a full secondary build)

Co-op to get secondary hits for Directives.  Nothing really better.  As a bonus you can use the Torp bombers to satisfy torp hit directives.

T8 Clan Brawl.  Late game you can close and get secondary kills on weakened ships.  The most hilarious is a 1v1 against another CV.

Because I'm not a CV driver I would not take this into Random battle.

[GRETA]
Members
1,378 posts
10,609 battles
1 hour ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

exception to the rule right here. Somewhere somebody has a good game with any ship. 

The GZ is one of Toptier's admittedly favorite CV's because of the speed of the planes.  He has great games in it repeatedly.   To be fair, he is pretty good in all of the CV's and has good games in all of them.

I have every cv available and well as the enterprise.  The Gz is not my favorite by a long stretch.  I would not say it is bad, I just learned how to play mostly in my Saipan (both rts and now) and I find the play style very different for the Gz very different from what I am used to.

Members
1,478 posts
7,133 battles
1 hour ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

Dude check out his vids and stats he always has good games in the GZ. 

Members
978 posts
4,702 battles

IMHO GZ is worth, but you have to “get to know it” before being somewhat consistent on it. I’m still knowing it but I would say your standard weapons are rockets and torpedos, with AP bombers to be used against BBs or large cruisers at the right angle (you want the ships to be as big or bigger than the reticule, otherwise the bombs are too unreliable).

Secondaries are fun.

1 hour ago, Khafni said:

What German CV's??

German CV line was announced a few days ago.

[BLEP]
Members
566 posts
12,578 battles
2 hours ago, Dr_Venture said:

I like it but that is me. Takes some work to be good with it though. The Kaga is easy mode with planes forever and Saipan is my fav. Have not really played the Brit one much so can't say much. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,845 posts
25,782 battles

It's a decidedly mediocre CV.  Cool in Co-op because of the Meme Secondaries but the planes themselves are pretty awful as well as fragile a.f.

In Randoms?  Well, there's plenty of things I wouldn't want my CV near in High Tier.  Graf Zeppelin may have fantastic CV secondaries but she's not an Armored CV, either.

I got her for collecting purposes, but even if I restrict to tech tree Tier VIII CVs, I'd rather use Lexington than Graf Z.

Graf Z in the Post-CV Rebork WoWS is nowhere near the monster she was in the RTS CV days.  She was broken a.f. back then, but today, she's a pale shadow of what she once was.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLF8]
Members
7,872 posts
6,630 battles
1 hour ago, USMC2145 said:

Dude check out his vids and stats he always has good games in the GZ. 

His point still stands. One person is having great games with Grafy Zeppy. I'm happy for him. However, you can't say the same for a lot of other Graffy Zeppy players.

[WOLF8]
Members
7,872 posts
6,630 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

It's a decidedly mediocre CV.  Cool in Co-op because of the Meme Secondaries but the planes themselves are pretty awful as well as fragile a.f.

In Randoms?  Well, there's plenty of things I wouldn't want my CV near in High Tier.  Graf Zeppelin may have fantastic CV secondaries but she's not an Armored CV, either.

I got her for collecting purposes, but even if I restrict to tech tree Tier VIII CVs, I'd rather use Lexington than Graf Z.

Graf Z in the Post-CV Rebork WoWS is nowhere near the monster she was in the RTS CV days.  She was broken a.f. back then, but today, she's a pale shadow of what she once was.

Even for Coop, I wouldn't say GZ is a good ship.

The Coop bots may be dumb and predictable, but they sure do know how to travel in pack(s), stacking their AA auras as they charge the hooman'z team. This is pretty much a death nail for GZ, since her planes are simply too fragile, too few in numbers, and too slow in regeneration to stand against such things.

Meme Secondaries are nice... but if an aircraft carrier can't rely on her planes to do her stuffs, what's the point? Besides, there're always the German BB's if I really want roll with some rest kicking Secondaries.

GZ's current state is just sad... lol.

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles
21 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

Even for Coop, I wouldn't say GZ is a good ship.

The Coop bots may be dumb and predictable, but they sure do know how to travel in pack(s), stacking their AA auras as they charge the hooman'z team. This is pretty much a death nail for GZ, since her planes are simply too fragile, too few in numbers, and too slow in regeneration to stand against such things.

Meme Secondaries are nice... but if an aircraft carrier can't rely on her planes to do her stuffs, what's the point? Besides, there're always the German BB's if I really want roll with some rest kicking Secondaries.

GZ's current state is just sad... lol.

She is actually probably the best CV for coop as long as you max your secondary range and charge so you can  use them. Bots usually aim for the lowest HP ships so cruisers or DDs end up tanking for you while your secondaries and planes eat the enemy. 

But yeah, for randoms she is a fun ship but she is probably the least good T8 CV. If they ever fix her AP DBs so they aren't a dice roll then she might be pretty good though.