You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Heiligenmoschel

Game Freezing

15 comments in this topic

[DRIUS]
Members
62 posts
1,687 battles

Getting freezes around every 30-45 secs in game (last around 1.5-2 secs) and this wasn't an issue last week. Any thoughts or suggestions?

[WORX]
Members
12,638 posts
19,907 battles
3 minutes ago, Heiligenmoschel said:

Getting freezes around every 30-45 secs in game (last around 1.5-2 secs) and this wasn't an issue last week. Any thoughts or suggestions?

What did you do to your system in that time frame ?

[DRIUS]
Members
62 posts
1,687 battles
3 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

What did you do to your system in that time frame ?

Absolutely nothing (other than play more because I'm sitting at home).

[WORX]
Members
12,638 posts
19,907 battles
1 minute ago, Heiligenmoschel said:

Absolutely nothing (other than play more because I'm sitting at home).

This dont help the troubleshooting process. If you did nothing then its a performance issue some where in your system...

Did you check your cables first??? Are they routed correctly???

Members
978 posts
4,702 battles
12 minutes ago, Heiligenmoschel said:

It might be ping/latency due to internet connectivity, perhaps a windows update was being downloaded, or someone else in your local network was using the internet extensively, or an issue in one of the multiple hops between you and WG servers.

Did you notice if (for example) smoke was still animated but the ship wasn’t  advancing?

Edited by CO_Valle

[REVY]
Members
2,636 posts
14,455 battles

I have to agree with the others.

Its not a Game issue, its a system issue.

If you are on a Network (say a dorm), someone just started a DL or a movie or something big. If its only your computer, I'd check to see what other processes are running in the background (windows update being a likely suspect)

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,489 posts
6 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

If you are on a Network (say a dorm), someone just started a DL or a movie or something big. 

This is the first thing I'd check. With people staying at home, local networks are having to handle a lot more traffic than usual. If you have access to your router then you can set a higher priority for your gaming computer but this then might cause issues for others on the network.

You also might check to see just how many devices are accessing your WiFi network. Pads, phones, and laptops mostly just stay on nowadays so if the whole family has all of their devices in the house they are using an enormous amount of bandwidth just refreshing pages and updating themselves behind the scenes. You might want to actually power off mobile devices that are not currently being used. Make sure your WiFi is password protected too and that neighbors are not accessing your network.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,624 battles
55 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

This is the first thing I'd check.

Cox Cable, an internet service provider here in AZ, has recently posted stats on internet usage since the corona virus hit. While overall usage is up, it's not people working at home that has caused the increase. According to Cox, the increase comes from streaming movies and on-line game playing almost exclusively.

Now, where do you think you should look first?

• Cool 1

[DRIUS]
Members
62 posts
1,687 battles
2 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

This dont help the troubleshooting process. If you did nothing then its a performance issue some where in your system...

Did you check your cables first??? Are they routed correctly???

It's a laptop. No cables to check. I was thinking maybe higher than normal server usage or higher than normal Internet usage because so many people are at home these days. The issue can be external to my system.

[DRIUS]
Members
62 posts
1,687 battles
2 hours ago, CO_Valle said:

It might be ping/latency due to internet connectivity, perhaps a windows update was being downloaded, or someone else in your local network was using the internet extensively, or an issue in one of the multiple hops between you and WG servers.

Did you notice if (for example) smoke was still animated but the ship wasn’t  advancing?

Correct. Still see water movement/smoke movement but all of a sudden I don't move or input from keys responded to.

[WORX]
Members
12,638 posts
19,907 battles
1 hour ago, Umikami said:

Now, where do you think you should look first?

Does it happen to rhyme with Corn??? Or KIX ???

[WORX]
Members
12,638 posts
19,907 battles
4 minutes ago, Heiligenmoschel said:

It's a laptop. No cables to check. I was thinking maybe higher than normal server usage or higher than normal Internet usage because so many people are at home these days. The issue can be external to my system.

Nothing that freezes is normal... I haven't had issue with what you described... As much as we can dismiss it as that, you can still check by other means...

First off due this procedure,

Due a cold 5 min restart to you laptop... After you turn it on after those minutes, do a check and repair of the client... Usually that takes care of the issue with mobile devices...

[DRIUS]
Members
62 posts
1,687 battles

No worries. Got it figured out.

I normally run on my 2.4Ghz network and for some reason late last week it dropped long enough for my laptop to auto connect to my 5Ghz (AC) network. That's when I started getting the freezing. I checked my network and manually switched back to my 2.4 Ghz network and everything started running smoothly again. Thanks for the input.

Members
978 posts
4,702 battles
1 hour ago, Heiligenmoschel said:

Correct. Still see water movement/smoke movement but all of a sudden I don't move or input from keys responded to.

That has happened to me, it is related to the network, whenever this happens looks at the left-top corner of the screen and look for the ping stat, it is likely too high (or even negative).

It is likely due to network usage, maybe Windows update is downloading, or some other device is making high usage of the available bandwidth.

EDIT

Just read you figured it out, glad to read that.

Edited by CO_Valle
  • Cool 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,920 posts
On 4/6/2020 at 2:25 PM, Heiligenmoschel said:

yeah that sounds like packet loss..

can you run an ethernet cable instead of wifi? i guarantee it will improve your experience.