You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Flying_butt_pliers

How many planes can a CV generate in a game?

32 comments in this topic

Members
49 posts
10,457 battles

101 planes shot down in a game that lasted a few ticks more than 15 minutes.  I thought the plane generation was supposed to limit planes to a certain extent and somewhat penalize a reckless CV player.  

How many planes can an Enterprise pump out in a full 20 min match?  He was on pace to lose 134 planes.  Not sure if he lost every plane he launched, so he may have had access to even more planes if they were not all shot down.

World of Warships 4_3_2020 7_02_29 PM_LI.jpg

• Funny 2

[KWF]
Members
5,756 posts
7,003 battles

Did you account for fighter planes? They can often mislead as to the total number of aircraft a CV fields.

• Cool 3

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,443 posts

101 total planes launched by a CV isn't unheard of. I shot down a hundred in a match with my Midway. Remember too that not all of these downed aircraft are attack aircraft. If the CV was using fighters to spot then they were probably being shot down too.

image.png.79209d1a7801bc5a70cb028d328258dd.png

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,755 posts

The Enterprise can replace one rocket plane every 45 seconds, one torp plane every 57 seconds and one bomber every 72 seconds.

So to replace a rocket squad, 9.4 minutes, 8.5 minutes to replace a torp squad and  10.8 minutes to replace a bomber squad.

This does not include fighter plane consumables which drop 10 fighter planes with every use.

The Enterprise has a LOT of fighters, which is likely contributing greatly to the numbers you are seeing.  Each plane type has 3 drops, 3X3 = 9 so it can drop 90 fighter planes, without captain skills that boost consumables.

The total number of planes shot down, 101 is some combination of normal planes that can attack surface ships, and fighter planes which cannot.

Exactly how many of which type made up that 101, we can't know.

• Cool 2

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,839 posts
25,782 battles

Enterprise stands out for having a quick aircraft regen rate that is quite above what's typical even with other CVs for the tier.  Also, shooting down fighter planes counts towards the total.  When Enterprise drops a fighter unit, they're easy to swat and that big squad gets whittled away very quickly.

Premium Enterprise: 36 planes on deck

Attack / TB / DB regen rates:  49 seconds / 60 / 76

Lexington: 29 planes on deck

regen rates:  66 / 80 / 76

Shokaku: 24 planes on deck

regen rates:  66 / 72 / 76

Implacable:  29 planes on deck

regen rates:  99 / 98 / 117 :Smile_unsure:

Premium Kaga (lower tier planes, high reserves, low regen): 36 planes on deck

regen rates:  99 / 90 / 71

Premium Saipan (Tier X Midway planes, low reserves, low regen):  21 planes on deck

regen rates:  123 / 150 / 142 :Smile_veryhappy:

Premium Graf Zeppelin: 26 planes on deck

regen rates:  79 / 80 / 92

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[SGSS]
Members
5,734 posts
36 minutes ago, Flying_butt_pliers said:

101 planes shot down in a game that lasted a few ticks more than 15 minutes.  I thought the plane generation was supposed to limit planes to a certain extent and somewhat penalize a reckless CV player.  

How many planes can an Enterprise pump out in a full 20 min match?  He was on pace to lose 134 planes.  Not sure if he lost every plane he launched, so he may have had access to even more planes if they were not all shot down.

Planes do not regenerate as much as your shells and torps!

• Cool 3
  • Boring 2

Members
49 posts
10,457 battles
Just now, jags_domain said:

I asked a question and didn't make any statement saying this was [edited] or unbalanced at all, didn't say the real Enterprise carried 90 planes and this isn't right, mainly because other ships do have unlimited ammo, so realism left the building a long time ago.

Don't read into the post too much.  It just seemed like a very high number of planes in a match that only lasted 15 minutes and I asked how many planes can a CV put out in a full match.

Members
49 posts
10,457 battles
12 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Enterprise stands out for having a quick aircraft regen rate that is quite above what's typical even with other CVs for the tier.  Also, shooting down fighter planes counts towards the total.  When Enterprise drops a fighter unit, they're easy to swat and that big squad gets whittled away very quickly.

Premium Saipan (Tier X Midway planes, low reserves, low regen):  21 planes on deck

Thank you for the info and everyone else who provided some answers

[SGSS]
Members
5,734 posts
3 minutes ago, Flying_butt_pliers said:

I asked a question and didn't make any statement saying this was [edited] or unbalanced at all, didn't say the real Enterprise carried 90 planes and this isn't right, mainly because other ships do have unlimited ammo, so realism left the building a long time ago.

Don't read into the post too much.  It just seemed like a very high number of planes in a match that only lasted 15 minutes and I asked how many planes can a CV put out in a full match.

Sorry but just tired of hate cv posts so when this question comes up its normaly hate cv post.

E regens very fast.  The only reason you see that number is because it was the big E.  Most cv take over 1 min to regen 1 plane.  

You will never see thoughs number with Sipan.  It takes 2 min per plane.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,839 posts
25,782 battles
5 minutes ago, Flying_butt_pliers said:

The kicker with Enterprise is even late in the game, depending on circumstances, she can still field decently sized squads while several of her peers will be out of the picture because they can't replace their losses quick enough.  Saipan is very prone to this because of the low reserves and brutally slow regen rate.  Kaga has a large reserve and she can absorb losses for a while, but if not managed right, her slow regen rate can be crippling.

Even with the high regen rate, Enterprise just can't throw away planes left and right.  But if the ENT player manages losses properly, they're going to be a force towards the end of a game and still keep pumping squads out in good strength.

[-VT-]
Members
781 posts
9,413 battles
9 minutes ago, Flying_butt_pliers said:

In the last clan brawls, I played my planes pretty badly on my enterprise, and was spitting 1-3 plane squads vs high AA ships.  Total losses were 86 planes, 11 of which were fighters.  So ya, you can goof up and become useless in a cv. I was a bit out of practice for that one...

Members
49 posts
10,457 battles
5 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

Sorry but just tired of hate cv posts so when this question comes up its normaly hate cv post.

E regens very fast.  The only reason you see that number is because it was the big E.  Most cv take over 1 min to regen 1 plane.  

You will never see thoughs number with Sipan.  It takes 2 min per plane.

Thank you 

Members
398 posts
7,284 battles
39 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Thnx for this now i have a idea...

[WORX]
Members
12,638 posts
19,898 battles

Didn't Tier X RTS CV had it worse plane wise ???The only thing I have to support this theory is a Mighty Jingles Video...

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,617 battles
1 hour ago, warheart1992 said:

Did you account for fighter planes? They can often mislead as to the total number of aircraft a CV fields.

Since they can still spot you, and that can still get you killed, they still count as planes, NO?

• Boring 1

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
3,029 battles

Rework CVs have more total planes available than RTS CVs...

...however, rework CV planes are less efficient than RTS planes could be.

Its not an easy or direct comparison.

• Cool 1

[NUWES]
Members
3,381 posts
12,237 battles
1 hour ago, Flying_butt_pliers said:

Also as a suggestion, one of the other tabs (either "Personal Score" or "Detailed Report" I forgot which) will tell you exactly how many planes you downed came from the fighter consumable and how many were real planes (broken down by type). I can't exactly remember but I think you mouseover the plane kills number in that tab and it will give you the breakdown. 

Fighters don't come from the plane reserves. They come from a consumable. Enterprise with its huge fighter consumable groups and like others said earlier it can theoretically put out somewhere approaching 90 fighters and that also does not include any cap fighters the CV itself automatically launches for defense. The above list almost certainly also includes floatplane fighters and spotter planes too. 

Basically the number of fighters shot down on that chart is very deceptive. You have to look at the detailed graph in the other tabs to tell you exactly how many real planes the CV actually lost. Based on games I've played in about 1/2 to 2/3 of the downed planes on that chart were probably real planes. The rest were just fighters. That many losses probably hut him but Enterprise can absorb losses like that and continue to function passably particularly if they were mostly attack planes. 

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,816 posts
2,663 battles
1 hour ago, jags_domain said:

Shells and torps cannot spot ships anywhere on the map, and are also actually dodgeable.

Members
978 posts
4,702 battles

Also note that non-CV launched planes are also accounted for in that tab (i.e. cruiser launched spotter/fighter planes).

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
3,029 battles
6 minutes ago, CaptainKaitoGhost said:

Shells and torps cannot spot ships anywhere on the map, and are also actually dodgeable.

Bombs and torpedoes are also dodgeable...

...but rockets? Not so much.

[KWF]
Members
5,756 posts
7,003 battles
18 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Since they can still spot you, and that can still get you killed, they still count as planes, NO?

Of course, I was merely stating it in the sense that their predetermined flying pattern and lack of much HP make them far easier to deal with.

[KSC]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,146 posts
12,229 battles
30 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Fighters just spin in a circle and are not player controlled.  This matters because people seeing plane kills and think those are player controlled aircraft.

Enterprise has overlarge fighter squadrons, and can drop 9 of them (3 consumables per plane type).  I can't remember if there are 9 or 12 fighters per consumable drop, but 81 or 108 "plane kills" could occur from free planes that spin in a circle and only attack enemy planes.

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

Too many, possible more planes than the RTS CVs had. And if the Cv player manage his losses, he can lose lots of planes and still send full/nealry full squads at the end of the battle. 

Another question, how many AA mounts ships can generate in a game? Yep, none... 

• Boring 2

[SGSS]
Members
5,734 posts
29 minutes ago, CaptainKaitoGhost said:

Bla bla bla bla. Can any cv hater come up with anything new. Its been a year.

Cv haters ate like school billy's who make fun of someone's name or a speech problem.

At some point your bullying goes unnoticed and starts to make you look really really sad.

• Boring 1

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,617 battles
48 minutes ago, Ahskance said:

Fighters just spin in a circle and are not player controlled.

I disagree with that, as the Carrier Commander chooses where, and when, to drop his fighters. True, once dropped they fly in a circle, but many an RTS or post-rework squadron spotting ships for team mates to target has done the exact same thing. I think your definition of "PLAYER CONTROLLED" needs to be expanded.

51 minutes ago, Ahskance said:

Enterprise has overlarge fighter squadrons, and can drop 9 of them (3 consumables per plane type).  I can't remember if there are 9 or 12 fighters per consumable drop, but 81 or 108 "plane kills" could occur from free planes that spin in a circle and only attack enemy planes.

Or be dropped on a red DD or a cap circle for area denial and team focus firing. Like I said, your definition is out of date.