You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SKurj

mmm vs XVM

86 comments in this topic

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,922 posts

I came over from tanks...  for those that also play tanks I am sure you have heard of XVM...  is mmm the same thing over here?  I briefly checked the website and it does look like it is.

In tanks you can "anonymize" yourself, so your player name in chat is randomized.. this also prevents XVM from pulling your stats into games.  Does making your stats private also prevent mmm from pulling your stats? (if that is what it does..)

XVM is a very negative influence in WoT, with stat padding, people intentionally suiciding at match start due to low XVM reported win chance, to claims of rigged...(omg... it exposes MM as random as advertised..) and of course lots of stat shaming.

I use anonymizer over there for the primary reason of fouling XVM.. and I would do the same here if mmm is the same thing if i can.

In Tanks you do not have the option to make you stats private like you do in WoWs

Members
12,597 posts
14,320 battles

Playing under  Anonymous names would be sad as you can’t say hello to any of your friends you encounter in battles if their names get scrambled.

• Cool 1

0 posts

In WOWS stat shaming in game is exceedingly rare. In pvp (randoms/ranked/clan) a player with hidden stats, will be at a disadvantage. Why? Sometimes players have legitemate reasons for checking up on another players profile, (the profile exists for a reason!), but if your stats are hidden, you will be treated as a lost cause, and be less likely to recieve support from those who do use XVM or an equivalent in battle stat checker. Also, players with hidden profiles are much harder to help, with good, tailored, advice, and so will progress and learn, much more slowly. I have a checkered history in WOWS, but have always maintained my stats as public, which means along the way, I have recieved some excellent and helpful support, encouragement and advice from more successful players. Obviously, having stats set to public can lead to very rare, salty and unpleasant encounters - but know, the majority of your team mates will always disapprove of statshaming. For these reasons, Anonymizing yourself in WOWS, would be even more detrimental, you would be treated as no better, or different, to one of the awful brain dead PVE bots, and make your experience in WOWS, less enjoyable.

• Cool 6
  • Boring 3

[OO7]
Members
677 posts
8,099 battles

Stat shaming is only done by bad players who make game ending mistakes early on and spend the rest of the game venting their anger.

• Cool 11

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
6,353 posts
19,362 battles
8 minutes ago, mixmkz said:

Stat shaming is only done by bad players who make game ending mistakes early on and spend the rest of the game venting their anger.

LOL...true!

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,922 posts

There is never a valid reason for checking stats during a match to see how 'good' or 'bad' a player is...................  wow... 

same [edited] argument given in tanks, XVM is a bigger negative influence on the game than stat hiding has ever been.  If WG would allow players to hide stats in WoT people wouldn't need to anonymize sadly...  Though another reason it was done was to prevent stat sniping.. which i am sure is one of the reasons mmm is used here.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

Members
2,161 posts
6,446 battles

One thing you have to learn WOW and WOT do not have the same management and operate very differently. Almost like 2 different Companies under the same Banner.

[BOTO]
Members
1,460 posts
17,696 battles
12 minutes ago, SKurj said:

There is never a valid reason for checking stats during a match to see how 'good' or 'bad' a player is...................  wow... 

same [edited] argument given in tanks, XVM is a bigger negative influence on the game than stat hiding has ever been.  If WG would allow players to hide stats in WoT people wouldn't need to anonymize sadly...  Though another reason it was done was to prevent stat sniping.. which i am sure is one of the reasons mmm is used here.

Guess it depends on your definition of "valid" reason.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,922 posts
2 minutes ago, Aaron_S_Merrill said:

Guess it depends on your definition of "valid" reason.

you could just ask the player...  this is my point.. and especially during a match...  do it before or after a game... you want to work with a player to help them sure, form a div share stats have a chat etc... and then play a few games... 

0 posts
27 minutes ago, SKurj said:

if a players stats are set to public, they are designed to be, consulted by the public (other gamers). 

You may think, just because I defend the need for transparancy over player profiles, that I use XVM or lookup player stats during a battle, I don't! But I quite understand why others do, it is a natural instinct to gather intelligence on the allied and enemy team in a competitive PVP environment, such information, in the hands of a sensible player, help them make informed decisions that increase the chances of a battle victory (among less smart players, it can have the opposite effect, but it balances out)/.

of course, not all players want to share/be open, and that is why you can also keep your profile hidden if you prefer. But don't confuse stat shaming, with the straightforward, entirely private, evaluation of teammates and enemy players.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,922 posts

I agree if you take pixel ships srsly...  

but randoms should never be taken that seriously (just my opinion) and i know some go to extremes as evidenced by lots of posts on the forum.

If its clan battles or something fine but then you should be doing your research before you show up in battle...  just saying.

• Cool 1

[WAP]
Beta Testers
337 posts
11,766 battles
40 minutes ago, SKurj said:

Your experience in tanks does not transfer to ships.  They are different creatures and the player base behaves differently.   I think there was a spike of stat shaming when mmm first went into common use, but it's really not a thing at this point. 

It's actually helpful knowing who is likely going to yolo-suicide at the beginning of the game because you can adjust your deployment accordingly.  It's unfortunately fairly common and people rarely even comment on it other than when the entire team of DDs yolos.  

If you're even average, you're hurting yourself more than helping yourself by hiding your stats. At least that's my opinion based on my own behavior towards other players. 

• Cool 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,922 posts
29 minutes ago, Raven114 said:

One thing you have to learn WOW and WOT do not have the same management and operate very differently. Almost like 2 different Companies under the same Banner.

both of these apps are 3rd party tools, and the only real difference in this context is that WoT does not allow a player to hide their stats on the web like WoWs does.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,922 posts
Just now, Tibson said:

Your experience in tanks does not transfer to ships.  They are different creatures and the player base behaves differently.   I think there was a spike of stat shaming when mmm first went into common use, but it's really not a thing at this point. 

It's actually helpful knowing who is likely going to yolo-suicide at the beginning of the game because you can adjust your deployment accordingly.  It's unfortunately fairly common and people rarely even comment on it other than when the entire team of DDs yolos.  

If you're even average, you're hurting yourself more than helping yourself by hiding your stats. St least that's my opinion. 

its exactly the same, how people use it .. exactly the same...   

But.. i will say the community is more civil over here for sure.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,872 posts
14,896 battles
52 minutes ago, mixmkz said:

I can remember vividly an episode of this in  a T5 Ranked Sprint. Some moron gave me a profane rant about how I didn't belong there in my Nicholas, and just kept going on about it. I hit back with a good rejoinder that I keep in my pocket for just such occasions, and this guy went NUTS upon hearing it, and told the team to TK me, and he swore he was gong to come after me. So, at the drop of the green flag, I gun the throttles and run to the spot on the map where the DDs go to play, and find a red GC where he ought not be, and torp him for both a DevStrk and First blood. I wheel around to see where Teammate Genius is, to see him die to the reds. Bottom of the board, he was. Easily.

25 minutes ago, SKurj said:

you could just ask the player...  this is my point.. and especially during a match...  do it before or after a game... you want to work with a player to help them sure, form a div share stats have a chat etc... and then play a few games... 

Well, no, you can't  "just ask." These MMM tools only display the stats of players in the match  that loads while you have MMM open, there is no asking a player before a match, as you have only 30 seconds of pre-match time to even see who the other players are.

43 minutes ago, SKurj said:

Not true at all.

There are any number of valid reasons. I have never had MMM or XVM installed, but the better player in my clan do. (In all honesty, I will ask them from time to time what it spits out.)

Valid reason for knowing your own team members' stats: you have a choice between either of two of your DDs to follow to a cap and support. One has a 65% win rate in that DDand 600 game s in it. The other has a 37% win rate in his DD, and 900 games in it. It actually improve's  the team's chances of winning knowing who can benefit from support, and knowing where support is likely to be  fruitless.

Valid reason for knowing the red team's players' stats: You have equal opportunity at a point in the battle to focus down and eliminate either their best player, or their worst player. Being informed as to where to direct focus fire can greatly influence the outcome of the match.

Edited by MannyD_of_The_Sea
  • Cool 2

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,922 posts

Sounds like i do need to keep my stats hidden then, as a realtive noob,  if i am being ignored by my own team due to my public stats...  

You are just illustrating the negative influence mmm has on the game

• Cool 1
  • Boring 3

[WAP]
Beta Testers
337 posts
11,766 battles
4 minutes ago, SKurj said:

its exactly the same, how people use it .. exactly the same...   

But.. i will say the community is more civil over here for sure.

And once again your experience and mine are completely different.  I can't remember the last time I heard a GG before the game started and the person went afk.  It happened nearly every session in tanks.  Also, while there are CVs in ships, arty in tanks is much more common and more punishing.  I abused the crap out of xvn to focus unicums when I played arty.  It's generally counterproductive in ships when you're in a CV to focus one person like that. 

In any case, your original post was just a troll.  You clearly have an established perspective even though you pretended otherwise. It's fine to have an opinion but posting under false pretenses is not cool.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,922 posts

Its no troll... i have never used mmm i wanted clarification on what it does, and if i can hide my stats from it.  Responses have provided that, and used the same arguments to try and justify it...

Its ok, i will let this one die now. and not respond to any further posts, i have the answers i needed

Thanks

Members
150 posts
1,498 battles
13 minutes ago, SKurj said:

Sounds like i do need to keep my stats hidden then, as a realtive noob,  if i am being ignored by my own team due to my public stats...  

The people that use mmm usually treat someone with hidden stats as they would someone with very poor stats, you're not avoiding anything. 

Edited by BasedCoomer
  • Cool 2

0 posts
9 minutes ago, SKurj said:

If you keep your stats public the following will happen

• some will ignore you
  • some will help you
  • most (99%) of players couldn't care less

If you keep your stats hidden the following will happen :

• some will ignore you
  • nobody will or can help you
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[SGSS]
Members
5,776 posts

Why does anyone even bother looking at stats? Who cares.

I remember a clan mate would give uo when he saw a bad player. 

Just play and let it go.

• Cool 1

[WAP]
Beta Testers
337 posts
11,766 battles
6 minutes ago, SKurj said:

You're focusing on the wrong message.  People with 10k games and hundreds in a single ship with a win rate of 44% and avg damage of < 10k is unfortunately all too common.  Those are the people who you are better off ignoring because of the extremely high chance of them yoloing. 

I know at least among my clan mates, there is a very high tolerance for new players.

If you look for the bad in people you'll be able to find it.  I find the game more enjoyable when I look for the best in people and help them celebrate and comment on good play, especially when I know they are an overall weak player.  People appreciate when you give credit for good plays.

• Cool 1

[SGSS]
Members
5,776 posts
2 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

If you keep your stats public the following will happen

• some will ignore you
  • some will help you

If you keep your stats hidden the following will happen :

• some will ignore you
  • nobody will or can help you

That so not ture. People on this forum live to stat sham and prove they are better at life because they have better win rate in a vidio game.

Its best to keep ot quite.

• Boring 2

[WAP]
Beta Testers
337 posts
11,766 battles
1 minute ago, jags_domain said:

That so not ture. People on this forum live to stat sham and prove they are better at life because they have better win rate in a vidio game.

Its best to keep ot quite.

This forum is in no way, shape or form like the in game experience.

• Cool 3

[A-I-M]
Members
3,872 posts
14,896 battles
16 minutes ago, SKurj said:

If its clan battles or something fine but then you should be doing your research before you show up in battle...  just saying.

Does what you're "just sayin' " have any real meaning? No, really:

1. Tell us how you "do your research" in any meaningful way before showing up in battle.

2. Tell us how "doing your research" would look substantially different from what the output of an MMM-type tool would look like.

7 minutes ago, SKurj said:

Keeping them hidden will likely ensure the continuance of being ignored by your team.

10 minutes ago, SKurj said:

You have to decide: Which will improve your results more? Keeping both the reds and your teammates in the dark about your skills, or letting your team know whether they should rely on you, or some other, better teammate.

But, more important than improving results, is improving performance. Do that, and become that better teammate, and let your team see that.