You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BaronVonTom

Cruise Ship Collision sinks Venezuelan Navy Ship

41 comments in this topic

[NWOC]
[NWOC]
Members
1,055 posts
13,819 battles
23 minutes ago, Gafwmn said:

Nerf OP Cruise ships...……….

Pse don't say things like that, you know what WG is like!! 

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,629 posts
4,931 battles

Maybe the Venezuelans were after the toilet paper and food...  :Smile_sceptic:

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,176 posts
6,046 battles

Sometimes history repeats itself in odd ways.

Queen_Mary_Curacao_148_.JPG

RMS Queen Mary (the one in Long Beach, California) and HMS Curacoa.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,865 posts
25,782 battles
On 4/6/2020 at 2:17 AM, Battlecruiser_Yavuz said:

Sometimes history repeats itself in odd ways.

Queen_Mary_Curacao_148_.JPG

RMS Queen Mary (the one in Long Beach, California) and HMS Curacoa.

Spaceballs Brakes for Nobody | Tor.com

While we have had a bunch of maritime collisions, this recent incident takes the cake because it was peacetime and intentional.  The CO of the naval vessel is going to be ridiculed for this within his own community.  A loss of a warship for something stupid like this is just beyond words.

It gets even better.

Other sources.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[WOLFO]
[WOLFO]
Members
597 posts
5,863 battles

when does the RCGS line launch? T10 is gonna be a beast! :)

On 4/5/2020 at 5:54 PM, Super_Dreadnought said:

Screenshot_1.png

Members
3,064 posts
6,734 battles
5 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Spaceballs Brakes for Nobody | Tor.com

While we have had a bunch of maritime collisions, this recent incident takes the cake because it was peacetime and intentional.  The CO of the naval vessel is going to be ridiculed for this within his own community.  A loss of a warship for something stupid like this is just beyond words.

It gets even better.

Other sources.

i was really kinda hoping the shots fired report was just a jumpy crewman...not sure why the venezuelan navy would release this.

[WOLFG]
Members
11,805 posts
10,952 battles

Missed footage of the Cruise ship captain.

You Scratched My Anchor Caddy Shack GIF - YouScratchedMyAnchor CaddyShack Rodney GIFs

Edited by DrHolmes52
  • Funny 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,865 posts
25,782 battles
4 hours ago, JohnPJones said:

i was really kinda hoping the shots fired report was just a jumpy crewman...not sure why the venezuelan navy would release this.

I know, it's real odd to do it.  They probably released the clip as a hasty reflex to make some justification on what happened, to make things look less embarrassing.  To me it just makes them look a lot worse.

The former CO of that naval ship, wouldn't surprise me if he never gets command of a ship ever again.

A shame, the boat was just barely under 10 years of service.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[REVY]
Members
8,286 posts
6,118 battles

Conspiracy!  There was no iceberg!

4f915bc14b951c57ae939f07afa66bb3.jpg

Members
3,064 posts
6,734 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I know, it's real odd to do it.  They probably released the clip as a hasty reflex to make some justification on what happened, to make things look less embarrassing.  To me it just makes them look a lot worse.

The former CO of that naval ship, wouldn't surprise me if he never gets command of a ship ever again.

ya i agree the video just makes them look worse.

i was hoping the whole incident was just a rogue captain and crew desperately trying to get food for their families. probably thought they could get away with bordering, taking some food, and then denying anything the cruise liner said.

[REVY]
Members
8,286 posts
6,118 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Well The Venezuelan Navy is claiming the Cruise Ship was loaded with commandos and land mercenaries so even if we take this at face value, firing on a known hostile ship loaded with commandos with an AK-47 instead of using the deck gun seems suicidally stupid.  Even if this was a vast Portuguese conspiracy, this has been one of the most inept naval engagements in naval history.

Edited by Sventex
  • Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,865 posts
25,782 battles
24 minutes ago, Sventex said:

Well The Venezuelan Navy is claiming the Cruise Ship was loaded with commandos and land mercenaries so even if we take this at face value, firing on a known hostile ship loaded with commandos with an AK-47 instead of using the deck gun seems suicidally stupid.  Even if this was a vast Portuguese conspiracy, this has been one of the most inept naval engagements in naval history.

Yeah, I had read about them trying to say it was a hostile ship with combatants.  Just crazy stuff.  It just gets worse the more you dig into this.  Thankfully nobody died from this idiocy.

Members
3,064 posts
6,734 battles
2 hours ago, Sventex said:

i don't think it'll get quite to the point its as much of an existential threat to the US as the cuban missile crisis was, but i think this is a clear indication that we might have the largest issue with a foreign nation in our hemisphere since the cuban missile crisis considering that the US is sending even more ships to southcom...just imagine what crapmaduro will come up with next if they see an LCS or a DDG 15-20 miles off the coast...or if the VZN (is that the abbreviation) attempts to intervene and prevent the USN from stopping some of those supposed drug smugglers they're down there to catch and fight...

[REVY]
Members
8,286 posts
6,118 battles
15 minutes ago, JohnPJones said:

i don't think it'll get quite to the point its as much of an existential threat to the US as the cuban missile crisis was, but i think this is a clear indication that we might have the largest issue with a foreign nation in our hemisphere since the cuban missile crisis considering that the US is sending even more ships to southcom...just imagine what crapmaduro will come up with next if they see an LCS or a DDG 15-20 miles off the coast...or if the VZN (is that the abbreviation) attempts to intervene and prevent the USN from stopping some of those supposed drug smugglers they're down there to catch and fight...

I look at it from a utilitarian standpoint.  Venezuela stands to gain nothing from this.  Worse, they risk further humiliation from continuing so I don't see this as a very serious threat.

Members
3,064 posts
6,734 battles
14 minutes ago, Sventex said:

I look at it from a utilitarian standpoint.  Venezuela stands to gain nothing from this.  Worse, they risk further humiliation from continuing so I don't see this as a very serious threat.

baiting the US into action against them could help garner more support from fence sitters in venezuela, after maduro has spent years now telling everyone how the US was going to attack and invade them.
at this point it seems to me like maduro has little left to lose and is willing to gamble that the US wont invade and overthrow him due to a slight provocation...especially if they coordinate with say russia and just so happen to have one or two russian ships in port during or after what ever incident they manufacture.

think of it like a gulf of tonkin incident or argentina invading the falklands type of move.

[REVY]
Members
8,286 posts
6,118 battles
39 minutes ago, JohnPJones said:

baiting the US into action against them could help garner more support from fence sitters in venezuela, after maduro has spent years now telling everyone how the US was going to attack and invade them.
at this point it seems to me like maduro has little left to lose and is willing to gamble that the US wont invade and overthrow him due to a slight provocation...especially if they coordinate with say russia and just so happen to have one or two russian ships in port during or after what ever incident they manufacture.

think of it like a gulf of tonkin incident or argentina invading the falklands type of move.

Even if they coordinate with Russia, Venezuela is way too close to US and way too far away from Russia.  And if Venezuela is antagonizing the EU by attacking their ships, the US will have EU backing as well, which makes any Russian resources spent trying to save Venezuela a waste.  If President Maduro wants a US invasion of his country, he can easily achieve it.  Russian might as well just treat any Russian ships in port during an invasion like the USS Panay incident and cut their losses.

Members
3,064 posts
6,734 battles
5 hours ago, Sventex said:

Even if they coordinate with Russia, Venezuela is way too close to US and way too far away from Russia.  And if Venezuela is antagonizing the EU by attacking their ships, the US will have EU backing as well, which makes any Russian resources spent trying to save Venezuela a waste.  If President Maduro wants a US invasion of his country, he can easily achieve it.  Russian might as well just treat any Russian ships in port during an invasion like the USS Panay incident and cut their losses.

I don’t think the US would make a move against Russia if theyre in country.

a handful of Russian units ashore and a ship in port. Not necessarily that Russia would actually fight off a US invasion, more like that way the invasion never happens.

maybe throw in some of those nuclear capable bombers at a VZ airbase as well or airborne for ‘rapid response’

should be all the deterrence needed to keep the US sat bay, particularly during a pandemic...

[REVY]
Members
8,286 posts
6,118 battles
On 4/8/2020 at 11:46 PM, JohnPJones said:

I don’t think the US would make a move against Russia if theyre in country.

a handful of Russian units ashore and a ship in port. Not necessarily that Russia would actually fight off a US invasion, more like that way the invasion never happens.

maybe throw in some of those nuclear capable bombers at a VZ airbase as well or airborne for ‘rapid response’

should be all the deterrence needed to keep the US sat bay, particularly during a pandemic...

It would be too easy assume Russian nuclear bombs are a bluff.  Once Russia denotes the big one in Venezuela, then Venezuela will be completely doomed if it becomes a nuclear free-fire zone.  This is a war Venezuela cannot win and the only way Russia will achieve deterrence is by guaranteeing the country with the entire Russian Nuclear Arsenal, which would benefit the US by making the Russians look like an a corrupt tyrannical regime trying to defend pirates.  I doubt the Russian people would even care to risk nuclear annihilation over Venezuela. 

And if Russia is handing a bunch of pirates nuclear bombs, invasion will become very necessary.

Edited by Sventex

Members
3,064 posts
6,734 battles
2 hours ago, Sventex said:

It would be too easy assume Russian nuclear bombs are a bluff.  Once Russia denotes the big one in Venezuela, then Venezuela will be completely doomed if it becomes a nuclear free-fire zone.  This is a war Venezuela cannot win and the only way Russia will achieve deterrence is by guaranteeing the country with the entire Russian Nuclear Arsenal, which would benefit the US by making the Russians look like an a corrupt tyrannical regime trying to defend pirates.  I doubt the Russian people would even care to risk nuclear annihilation over Venezuela. 

And if Russia is handing a bunch of pirates nuclear bombs, invasion will become very necessary.

don't have to hand them nuclear bombs, and dont have to drop nukes in VZ the bombers would just be a threat against the US mainland.

just in general russian ships and some russian troops being there would make the risk of war with russia too high for most americans to stomach the thought, especially since VZ isn't an existential threat to the US.

Edited by JohnPJones

[REVY]
Members
8,286 posts
6,118 battles
2 hours ago, JohnPJones said:

don't have to hand them nuclear bombs, and dont have to drop nukes in VZ the bombers would just be a threat against the US mainland.

just in general russian ships and some russian troops being there would make the risk of war with russia too high for most americans to stomach the thought, especially since VZ isn't an existential threat to the US.

If Russian troops are massing in Venezuela with hostile intent towards the US, of course there will be war (or a blockade).  Never would an existential threat to the US be greater, the entire foundation of the Monroe Doctrine was to prevent such a thing from occuring in the American hemisphere.

Edited by Sventex