Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
RunNGunner

Steam Friends

3 comments in this topic

[_XFC_]
Members
64 posts

I have 800+ friends on Steam - been on a long time. I started playing WoWS just over 2 months ago. I started posting my random battle scoreboards for the last 554 Random Battles.

I keep getting this overwhelming amount of questions from friends asking why all the players with the stars and such are always overwhelmingly on one side, and not my side. One friend even calculated the battles for me which I verified, and 93.5% of the time the team I was on was outnumber, usually massively by the "stars" players. I tried explaining Ranked to them, which I haven't yet had an opportunity to try as I just earned my Zao. Any pseudo explanation of course prompted more questions of why the competitive players that would apparently have more experience were almost always placed on one side. Wasn't random supposed to be random?

It's put a lot of my friends off trying the game out when it appears to them to be so blatantly unbalanced and UNrandom. Some would ask if it was fun for the ranked players themselves, always being placed a majority of the time on one side. Didn't this create an imbalance?

Asking for many friends. TIA!

[CRUEL]
Members
529 posts
9,351 battles

I've noticed this too sometimes. I've actually noticed being in matches with you the past couple of weeks as I recognize the name. WG will tell you that matchmaker is completely random with no skill or experience involved in the algorithm. Apparently it is extremely difficult or expensive to program for it. But alas I do see some strange things that may be paranoid but dont seem like pure coincidence. And yes I do find that not always but many times a team with many high ranked players do a lot of damage to a team with few ranked players and more newcomers and it seems unbalanced. I think all these stay at home orders have made a lot of part time or new players come into the game and threw off the usual balance. However the game would die without new blood. Sometime its frustrating to see but I remember some of the bonehead things I did years ago and cringe. Anyway look forward to seeing you in matches. 

• Cool 1

[_XFC_]
Members
64 posts

It's nice to get some affirmation of my perspective, thanks. It's a terrific game on many levels, just hate to see the demise of it. And I can see that already happening if you read all the 40% recent negative reviews of the game on Steam. From the newer players to so many of the old ones with thousands of hours, who played before the Steam release.

I'll look for you on the seas. So many names out there makes it hard to keep track!

Sign in to follow this