Snargfargle

The Silent Earth

10 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,479 posts

With so many major urban centers on lockdown the random noise that seismologists have to deal with has significantly decreased. Human activity literally shakes the Earth.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
15,658 posts
27,382 battles
22 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

With so many major urban centers on lockdown the random noise that seismologists have to deal with has significantly decreased. Human activity literally shakes the Earth.

Cool.

Reminds me of the ‘less contrails/more sunlight’ after 9/11.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,884 posts
14,882 battles

Interesting, with the social distancing to reduce the rate of spread of the virus I am wondering what effect that is going to have on flu this year.

Members
360 posts
12,334 battles

There is a movie named The Quiet Earth, it is from New Zealand

Edited by Timo_Greenwold

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,225 posts
22,815 battles
49 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Interesting, with the social distancing to reduce the rate of spread of the virus I am wondering what effect that is going to have on flu this year.

You mean Influenza? That flu that kills hundreds of thousands each year that no one thinks to apply social distancing to??

Bet it helps...

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,884 posts
14,882 battles
1 hour ago, Khafni said:

You mean Influenza? That flu that kills hundreds of thousands each year that no one thinks to apply social distancing to??

Bet it helps...

Yeah that flu, the death toll from the flu in the US ranges from 12k to 60k per year. Too many people go into work when they are sick, maybe this will change that.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
11,796 posts
10,943 battles

I was shocked this morning when I heard a police siren.  I couldn't remember the last time I heard one.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,479 posts
5 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I was shocked this morning when I heard a police siren.  I couldn't remember the last time I heard one.

That's one of many things I don't miss about living in the city. I used to teach at a college in a large suburb of a city. Even though my apartment complex was right next to a creek and walking/biking trail on one side, which wasn't too bad, on the other side was the old highway through town, which the fire department used as the main access route so I got to hear sirens every couple of hours. Here in this small town I usually only hear a siren on Wednesday evenings, when they have volunteer fire department practice.