You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lert

Allow us to 'merge' captains, at the cost of some captain XP

17 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,204 posts
21,009 battles

I have a number of 'unique' (whether they're 'legendary', just have a voice bank or just come with a unique portrait) captains at like 10 pts, and a number of non-unique, standard captains at like 19 pts. I don't want to put those unique captains in my high tier ships to train them up because that would mean taking an under-skilled captain into a high tier battle. I don't like farming captain XP to level them up in their bunk because that takes time, and that time's spent not using them.

One option would be to allow two captains to 'merge', allowing the lower experience captain to take on the XP the higher experience one has, with the player able to pick which name, voice bank, portrait, skills and specialization (out of the two captains) the new merged captain has. That would allow me to take my 10 pt Andrew Cunningham, slap my 19 pt 'regular' captain Archibald Macnee on him and end up with Archibald Macnee gone, but Andrew Cunningham at 19 pts and trained for Conqueror.

Thoughts?

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,830 posts
4,285 battles

I like the idea, I think the details need a bit of work. But it would be nice to be able to swap in a new special commander with a fully trained normal commander. Even at a doubloon cost, it would at least be possible then.

A way to just remove XP from commanders and put it in EXP or on a different captain would also be nice. I have a ton of 8-13 point commanders lying around that I'll never bother to train up, would be nice to get something from their training. I think an XP penalty or doubloon cost would be a reasonable way to let us clean up our captains.

Alpha Tester
2,162 posts
6,727 battles

I support this.

• Cool 1

[SOUP]
Modder
8,917 posts

Rather than merge, perhaps "cash in" redundent captains for....let's say.... 60% of their XP as free captain XP

• Cool 3

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,619 battles
27 minutes ago, Lert said:

I have a number of 'unique' (whether they're 'legendary', just have a voice bank or just come with a unique portrait) captains at like 10 pts

No kidding! I have a boatload (sorry, pardon the bad pun) of Captains at 3, 6, 7, and 8 points which I would LOVE to combine to turn into one higher point Captain. My IJN Captains are the worst, thanks to ARP and High School Fleet Captains, but the IJN are by no means the only ones. Great Idea!

18 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

Rather than merge, perhaps "cash in" redundent captains for....let's say.... 60% of their XP as free captain XP

Also not a bad idea; I'd even be happy with 50% of their XP as getting some use out of them would be preferable to getting no use out of them, which is what I'm getting now.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,204 posts
21,009 battles
1 minute ago, Umikami said:

I have a boatload (sorry, pardon the bad pun) of Captains at 3, 6, 7, and 8 points which I would LOVE to combine to turn into one higher point Captain.

The thing though is that if you could combine captains into a higher point one, people could exploit that by just combining tons and tons of 3 pt captains. I mean, I have almost 1b credits, so can buy captains for days and combine them.

[SOUP]
Modder
8,917 posts
1 minute ago, Lert said:

The thing though is that if you could combine captains into a higher point one, people could exploit that by just combining tons and tons of 3 pt captains. I mean, I have almost 1b credits, so can buy captains for days and combine them.

And there-in lies the problem with any of these ideas... it should have a minimum threshold of level 10 or something

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,204 posts
21,009 battles
1 minute ago, Chobittsu said:

And there-in lies the problem with any of these ideas... it should have a minimum threshold of level 10 or something

Or a function where the resulting captain will not have more XP than the highest of them, or a dub cost. It needs some anti-farming function at least.

[LANCE]
Members
875 posts
6,564 battles

I have a ton of 10 pt captains I’ve gotten with premium ships from buying them or getting them in Christmas crates.

The problem I can see is that the “Pay2win” guys have have something to shout about and it is a valid point.

Lerts idea of merging a 19 pt Captain to a lesser “special” Captain less that (pay2win).

Never make everybody happy but I’d support the idea!

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,619 battles
13 minutes ago, Lert said:

You're right, of course; at least as far as you've taken the example. For one thing, I don't see WG complaining about selling a billion credits worth of Captains for any reason; just doesn't seem like them to be honest. And they could actually charge for the transaction, as they currently do to respec a Captain, and again don't see them unduly concerned about that either. It's not like we get anything for dismissing a Captain, so they certainly won't be losing money. And where is the downside, from WGs perspective, over having a lot of higher point captains in the game? Faster matches? Better play? Don't get me wrong; you raised a good point and I'm listening, I just think their perspective will be different from a players perspective.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,204 posts
21,009 battles
Just now, Umikami said:

And where is the downside, from WGs perspective, over having a lot of higher point captains in the game?

Captain grinding is a reason for people to play more games.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,619 battles
14 minutes ago, Lert said:

Captain grinding is a reason for people to play more games.

You're absolutely right, and that is a very good point. However, players don't stop playing when they get their Captains to 19 points, and might even enjoy playing a bit more. Or play to grind out some more, as we both know players with 200 +, and 300 +, ships. I'm sure they don't have a unique Captain for every ship, but they certainly could use more than just a few.

[RLGN]
Members
15,657 posts
27,371 battles

Warships becomes a gatcha game!

That said; I wouldn’t object to such, as it would at least get a useful ‘value’ of some type out of otherwise unused captains.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[SYN]
Members
8,256 posts
14,111 battles

I have had a similar idea, a commander academy or something. Instead of just dismissing a CO you could send them to the academy perfectly dismissing them but converting a percentage of their XP into CXP, a kind of institutional memory if you will. 

Don't see anything like that or your suggestion actually happening though. 

[KSE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,732 posts
18,833 battles

I would be willing to trade in one Captain's xp at 1/3 value towards increasing the the target Captains xp.  Because of the progressive nature of raising a Captain  ( a 1 pt increase from 10 to 11 is 69,000 xp while the same one point from 18 to 19 is 300,000+ xp ) the anti farming is obvious.   I still have over 10 of the US 10 point captains sitting free and probably close to 20 of them from the various ARP iterations.  I would like to consolidate all that unused XP into a couple of 19 point captains to assign to "one off" premiums that require unique builds to function properly.

[PRVTR]
Members
1,119 posts
5,596 battles

I got a formula that might help

Final Commander Experience = Initial Commander Experience + 0.125 *( Sum of Experience of a maximum of 9 commanders )

Doing this prevents two things

1. Easy farming of 19 point commanders
  2. Easy leveling grinding and thus extreme surplus EXCP

Just my two cents

:SerB: