Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
GrayPanther2018

Thoughts on the EU DDs

13 comments in this topic

[PHD]
Members
1,505 posts
6,377 battles

I have been playing the Visby some, with just a 5 point captain. and wonder why people think of them.

The Visby's guns seem to turn slow, even with EM, and do not seem to be very accurate.

But it's early days yet.

[EQRN]
Members
2,024 posts
17,405 battles

Smokeless DDs:

Russians are really fast, have a heal and great guns.

French are even faster, gun ballistics aren’t great but MBR makes them brutal up close.

TRB Kagero torps hit like a truck and have good dpm with the torp reload and are very stealthy.

The PE DD thing seems to be AA and spamming torps that are the BB equivalent of over pens.  I think the Kidd would have been a better template to follow than what WG ended up doing with the PEs.

• Cool 1

[--K--]
Members
1,342 posts
10,148 battles

I was able to obtain Skane, and I don’t think it’s a particularly good ship.  

I enjoy the torpedo reload, speed, and ability to pinpoint drop them on players who don’t know how to use rudder shift.  They’re also good for area denial.

Their health pool is dramatically low, even with heals.  So going against higher tier ships, you can’t play aggressive or you’ll be chewed up.

Their detection is not great, their guns are mediocre, and I think Skane has a shell bug.  I’ve seen shells pass right through ships without registering a hit, multiple salvos in a row.

On a positive note, even if you only do minimal damage in Skane, I seemed to net massive XP totals.

AA is trash at tier 7.  Hope tier 8 and 9 are an improvement with fast gun reload, and faster torps.

• Cool 1

[LANCE]
Members
790 posts
5,871 battles

I “whaled” my way to the tier 8 and then got enough tokens for the tier 9 (Ostergotland) and really like it. It’s definitely a different play style and took a while getting used to having no smoke. The guns aren’t great but if you can get your teammates to help finish off damaged DDs you spot they suffice. They’re also not bad at setting fires so get a spread of “missle fish” hits on a BB (flooding chance is pretty good from my experiences) and get him to use his dam-con you can set him alight with your guns and get extra dmg. Torps seem to be the bread and butter of this line and at 90kts at tier 9 don’t leave a lot of time for a BB to react even with hydro or torpedo detection mod. AA is brutal against tier 8 CV planes (for a DD anyways).

I like em and am looking forward to the tier 10 later this week! Not everyone’s cup of tea though!

Stay safe mate and good luck!

[DRIUS]
Members
62 posts
1,413 battles

I've been running the German DDs (tier 4,5,6) with 6-9 point captains and they seem okay but I haven't tried other nationalities yet.

Members
1,410 posts
10,532 battles

I've played up to skane and so far they feel good but not great to me. They lack the alpha to make plays instead they poke the enemy until they die. Not a line you can carry your team with but you can support your team for the win.

[NGA]
Members
128 posts
7,112 battles
1 hour ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

I have been playing the Visby some, with just a 5 point captain. and wonder why people think of them.

The Visby's guns seem to turn slow, even with EM, and do not seem to be very accurate.

But it's early days yet.

Visby - lousy guns, 8km torps w/fast reload but minimal damage & heal - Mediocre

Vasteras - better guns, 10km torps (nice), heal - okay

Skane - somewhat better guns, 12km fast torps but only a few & heal - decent

Oland - pretty good guns if a little floaty, same torps but hit harder & heal and really great AA - great DD but can’t take caps by itself (problem with an entire linen)

Ostergotland - The complete package with super fast torps, except for caps IMHO 

I really liked the experience but if you like smoke or destroying BBs in a single salvo of torps, its not for you

Members
1,058 posts
7,478 battles

Pan Euro DDs are DoA. They are essentially slated at 1-2 tiers higher than their actual competitive weight.

Smaland and Halland? Yea more like Tier 9 at BEST.

1.) 10k Damage torps at top tiers? lol this MIGHT be viable if TDS did not exist in game and flooding wasn't nerfed.
2.) Smokeless, and yet do not have any other type of tanking afforded to them. e.g. Speed tanking, special saturation mechanics, zombie heals.
3.) Do not even bring extra utility to the field. Super nerfed version of Radar? What a joke. Where is the extra slot for Hydro? Smaland shouldn't lose DFAA just for Radar.
4.) Horrible guns. 2x2 split between both ends of the ship, horrid turret traverse, and horrid ballistics.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[PHD]
Members
1,505 posts
6,377 battles
3 hours ago, RYANMK48 said:

Visby - lousy guns, 8km torps w/fast reload but minimal damage & heal - Mediocre

Vasteras - better guns, 10km torps (nice), heal - okay

Skane - somewhat better guns, 12km fast torps but only a few & heal - decent

Oland - pretty good guns if a little floaty, same torps but hit harder & heal and really great AA - great DD but can’t take caps by itself (problem with an entire linen)

Ostergotland - The complete package with super fast torps, except for caps IMHO 

I really liked the experience but if you like smoke or destroying BBs in a single salvo of torps, its not for you

Thanks for the info.

I was wondering if it was just me. With Visby, I aim (dynamic crosshairs) like I do with my other DDs and two shells will go left of point of aim and one off to the right. And the torps seem to be death of a thousand cuts to BBs.

Vasteras, I gunned down one (mid health) that was trying to get torp shots on two of my teams BBs on a flank so I ran at him and gunned him down, with a Fubuki.

I do mostly IJN, Mutsuki, Fubuki, Harakaze and Asashio but use Aigle, Gepard and LeTerrible too. I have been trying the Gallant for it's single launch torps, wish the Asashio had single launch torps to tighten up the long distance spreads.

I am working the XP mission for the permanent camo for the Visby but so far have not had a good match with it.

The AA seems to be about like the Mutsuki (B hull) but with a little better range with the 40mms.

Members
3,074 posts
6,590 battles

It's hard to explain why I love this line so much. The guns are good, but not as strong as many gunships. The torpedoes have a lot of great characteristics, but do low damage and suffer from poor firing angles. But I consistently have really good games in all of them from Skane on up.

[NGA]
Members
128 posts
7,112 battles
8 minutes ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

Thanks for the info.

I was wondering if it was just me. With Visby, I aim (dynamic crosshairs) like I do with my other DDs and two shells will go left of point of aim and one off to the right. And the torps seem to be death of a thousand cuts to BBs.

Vasteras, I gunned down one (mid health) that was trying to get torp shots on two of my teams BBs on a flank so I ran at him and gunned him down, with a Fubuki.

I do mostly IJN, Mutsuki, Fubuki, Harakaze and Asashio but use Aigle, Gepard and LeTerrible too. I have been trying the Gallant for it's single launch torps, wish the Asashio had single launch torps to tighten up the long distance spreads.

I am working the XP mission for the permanent camo for the Visby but so far have not had a good match with it.

The AA seems to be about like the Mutsuki (B hull) but with a little better range with the 40mms.

Visby is really tough, its almost pure torpedoes with the guns being useful only in extremis. Vasteras is much much better with actually usable guns and enough range on the torpedoes to keep you from being spotted. I’m not a DD main but for me the only way to work in Visby was to avoid caps and look for BBs who were slow and staying in straight lines. As you can guess it took a while. See if you can pair up with another DD who has smoke.

[PHD]
Members
1,505 posts
6,377 battles
6 minutes ago, RYANMK48 said:

Visby is really tough, its almost pure torpedoes with the guns being useful only in extremis. Vasteras is much much better with actually usable guns and enough range on the torpedoes to keep you from being spotted. I’m not a DD main but for me the only way to work in Visby was to avoid caps and look for BBs who were slow and staying in straight lines. As you can guess it took a while. See if you can pair up with another DD who has smoke.

Thanks,

Pure torps, but they are weak :Smile_sad:. It just seems that I already have ships that do what these ships do, but better. My captain does not have CE yet so that is an issue. But my Mutsuki with just two 127mm guns( B hull), and better torps does as well or better though is not as fast.

I haven't seen the high tier ships but it seems their meta is fast ships with decent AA or as I think someone said OK everything but nothing great.

Members
3 posts

Not a fan.

Visby is ok but the heal isn't great and 1 salvo from a BB's and it's toast. Works good against other ships of the same tier.  

Vasteras is a fun ship, however lately I have been paired against all T8 BB's and do very little damage. Landing 4 torps dead on broadside takes way less then 1/4 hp from T8 ships. T8 ships notice my torps and have enough time to turn away from my torps before they even get close...

Not a line I'm interested in following!

Sign in to follow this