You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Midshipman_Hornblower

Alaska - Fire Prevention?

9 comments in this topic

[TORCH]
Members
697 posts
17,911 battles

Hooray!  I finally crossed that elusive million FXP threshold last night, and have a gleaming new Alaska in my port.  I've taken it out in a couple co-ops, just to start getting the feel, and I'm still mulling over some of the upgrade and captain skill possibilities.  On that front...I see that Alaska burns like a BB - 60 second fire duration - rather than like a cruiser.  I play cruisers almost exclusively, and BBs pretty much never, so this is gonna be a new experience for me.

So...I'm wondering what Alaska veterans would suggest concerning the Fire Prevention captain skill.  On the one hand, I have a feeling lots of cruisers will be slinging HE at me when I go out in randoms (as I've been doing to Alaskas ever since I saw the first one in random).  But when I start playing with captain builds, I find that taking FP really limits my other options.  So, I'm wondering if FP would be worth what I'll have to give up to get it.  Right now, I'm leaning towards something like:  PT - EM - SI - CE for the first 4, then DE, and after that...VI, AR, JOAT, HA, and EL all look good, but by the time I get to that point, I should have enough experience to make intelligent choices on those last few.  But if I add FP to that list, the remaining options would get much more limited.

Incidentally, I'm thinking I will use Alaska to help train US CA captains, and those captains obviously won't be taking FP.  But I'm also planning to have a permanent captain, to use on the ship in competitive situations, and what I'm asking above is with respect to that permanent captain.

So, Alaska owners, has anyone tried FP with this ship?  Good idea, or no?

[WOLFC]
Members
2,565 posts
11,054 battles
1 minute ago, Midshipman_Hornblower said:

Hooray!  I finally crossed that elusive million FXP threshold last night, and have a gleaming new Alaska in my port.  I've taken it out in a couple co-ops, just to start getting the feel, and I'm still mulling over some of the upgrade and captain skill possibilities.  On that front...I see that Alaska burns like a BB - 60 second fire duration - rather than like a cruiser.  I play cruisers almost exclusively, and BBs pretty much never, so this is gonna be a new experience for me.

So...I'm wondering what Alaska veterans would suggest concerning the Fire Prevention captain skill.  On the one hand, I have a feeling lots of cruisers will be slinging HE at me when I go out in randoms (as I've been doing to Alaskas ever since I saw the first one in random).  But when I start playing with captain builds, I find that taking FP really limits my other options.  So, I'm wondering if FP would be worth what I'll have to give up to get it.  Right now, I'm leaning towards something like:  PT - EM - SI - CE for the first 4, then DE, and after that...VI, AR, JOAT, HA, and EL all look good, but by the time I get to that point, I should have enough experience to make intelligent choices on those last few.  But if I add FP to that list, the remaining options would get much more limited.

Incidentally, I'm thinking I will use Alaska to help train US CA captains, and those captains obviously won't be taking FP.  But I'm also planning to have a permanent captain, to use on the ship in competitive situations, and what I'm asking above is with respect to that permanent captain.

So, Alaska owners, has anyone tried FP with this ship?  Good idea, or no?

I run my Halsey BB captain on Alaska, with PT, EM, SI, CE, AR, FP, JoaT, and EL.

IMO, DE is not worth it on large cruisers. For example, Alaska has a 27% base fire chance. DE increases this to 29%, a 7.4% buff. There are better things to spend the points on, and in Alaska you should be firing that sweet super-heavy AP as much as possible.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,565 posts
11,054 battles
4 minutes ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

Alaska SHOULD use a standard US Battleship captain. Max fire prevention. Run the heal and fire duration flags too. 

While I’m sure a max fire prevention build will work, Alaska is a ship that really benefits from EL. With 305mm guns at tier IX she will have to reach for her HE at times, and being able to switch back to her monstrous AP quickly to punish broadsides makes her very dangerous. It’s especially nice if you run one of the unique American captains, as all three of them have an enhanced EL that reduces the ammo switch time by 75% instead of 50%. With the reload module, you can switch your ammo type in 4.25s, and that’s before AR is factored in. I find she works just fine without BoS, but I also run the damage control mod in place of rudder shift.

[WOLFC]
Members
3,200 posts
1 hour ago, Nevermore135 said:

I run my Halsey BB captain on Alaska, with PT, EM, SI, CE, AR, FP, JoaT, and EL.

IMO, DE is not worth it on large cruisers. For example, Alaska has a 27% base fire chance. DE increases this to 29%, a 7.4% buff. There are better things to spend the points on, and in Alaska you should be firing that sweet super-heavy AP as much as possible.

I also run my Halsey BB captain on Alaska ... skills & Alaska modules: PT, EL ... EM, DE AR, JoaT ... SI ... CE, FP (that's the same ... yes)

MBM2 is also an option in slot 3, but the turrets seem fast enough and I like more gun accuracy

h2.jpg

Edited by DocWalker
typo/error ... AR ... not DE

Members
892 posts
6,426 battles
50 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

While I’m sure a max fire prevention build will work, Alaska is a ship that really benefits from EL. With 305mm guns at tier IX she will have to reach for her HE at times, and being able to switch back to her monstrous AP quickly to punish broadsides makes her very dangerous. It’s especially nice if you run one of the unique American captains, as all three of them have an enhanced EL that reduces the ammo switch time by 75% instead of 50%. With the reload module, you can switch your ammo type in 4.25s, and that’s before AR is factored in. I find she works just fine without BoS, but I also run the damage control mod in place of rudder shift.

For people more experienced with the ship, I'm sure other builds are viable. But, the survival build is always the best for people to start with. 

Personally, and with a lot of Alaska battles under my belt, I never found I needed EL nor much HE. 

Members
1,025 posts
11,997 battles
32 minutes ago, DocWalker said:

I also run my Halsey BB captain on Alaska ... skills & Alaska modules: PT, EL ... EM, DE, JoaT ... SI ... CE, FP (that's the same ... yes)

MBM2 is also an option in slot 3, but the turrets seem fast enough and I like more gun accuracy

h2.jpg

Perhaps you meant AR instead of DE?  That would fit among the other 2 point skills you have listed, and add up to 19.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
3,200 posts
5 minutes ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

Perhaps you meant AR instead of DE?  That would fit among the other 2 point skills you have listed, and add up to 19.

Yes, I did ... thanks for catching that, I'll make a correction ...

h1.jpg