Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ThisIsClassic

Clan Brawl: 4v4 at T8

12 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,163
[INTEL]
Members
3,464 posts
19,185 battles

This is the most fun I’ve had in over a year. Despite my dislike for CV play in Randoms, it fell to me to play a CV on our team (total 4 battles in Random). I still don’t like them but piloting a secondary spec GZ was a blast and our battles were such fun. Normally we have trouble fielding a 7 man division so Clan Battles are rare for us. But this?  This was a blast. 
 

@Hapa_Fodder please, please bring this back. This and 1v1 are the most interesting modes WG has tried out in the last 2 years. 

  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42
[NSC]
Members
212 posts
11,824 battles

I concur...it was a blast, although, like you, I was stuck as the cv operator for most our battles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,894
[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,851 posts
4,290 battles

Despite our solo style, even WOLF5 managed 4 players, and it was a blast. Fast and furious, and the CV wasn't as much a hindrance as usual (which confirms my thoughts on WG's game design). We went 15-4, and the GZ secondaries were always hilarious. The rewards are great too, coal, steel, and credits. And with 2500 BXP for a victory, I was able to collect more than 200K XP on my Benson, which got me Fletcher, as well as captain points 17, 18, and then 200K toward 19. 

It was a great time, and definitely hope to see it again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
71
[-HEL-]
Members
201 posts
7,012 battles
2 hours ago, ClassicLib said:

This is the most fun I’ve had in over a year. Despite my dislike for CV play in Randoms, it fell to me to play a CV on our team (total 4 battles in Random). I still don’t like them but piloting a secondary spec GZ was a blast and our battles were such fun. Normally we have trouble fielding a 7 man division so Clan Battles are rare for us. But this?  This was a blast. 

Same here.   No one else had CVs, I got a bunch at Xmas from crates, so went GZ full meme build.  Chasing after the enemy CV with secondaries blazing was a riot.  On the 3rd match, I actually scored some torps!  Before that, I've only played my CV's once each in coop for snowflakes.  I did not expect to enjoy myself that much.  Nothing like a German light cruiser with planes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
217
[WAP]
Beta Testers
337 posts
11,766 battles

This was a really fun mode.  It was much more fun at T8 with 4 players than the T10, 5 ship version.  I hope we see these weekend long Clan Brawls on a regular basis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
560 posts
27,490 battles

WG should have had one Clan Brawl category with and one without CVs, as well as spread it out over two days to allow more people to participate.  i.e., I was the only one with a T8 CV, so was stuck playing it for nearly 4 hours (got all of the steel, but it was a pain).  I thought 4 vs. 4 with CVs turned most of the battles into cluster-fur-balls which limited options -- made the tactics more static due to the need for overlapping AA and smoke.  Personally, I think having the CVs in Clan Brawl just decreased the enjoyment factor for everyone except for those in the CVs (i.e., those who enjoy pulling the legs off of immobilized insects).

On a side note:  CV auto-pilot blows chunks!  What a pain!

Edited by ObnoxiousPotato
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,393
[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
38,219 battles

Tons of fun, and not at T10 either, even better. T8 is a real run tier. Need more low tier ones, T6 and T5, without CVs. With so many clans lacking CV players, it meant that a few players always played CV. 

Edited by Taichunger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27
[KSD]
Members
90 posts
24,298 battles
2 hours ago, Taichunger said:

Tons of fun, and not at T10 either, even better. T8 is a real run tier. Need more low tier ones, T6 and T5, without CVs. With so many clans lacking CV players, it meant that a few players always played CV. 

I concur.

We would've had 5 or 6 teams going if it weren't for CVs. Just not enough clan members with the competency in them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TORCH]
Members
697 posts
17,976 battles

I'll chime in to agree with most of what's already been said.  This was my first experience with clan brawls, and I found much to like. I was VERY happy that it was T8, for two reasons.  First is that I personally don't enjoy T10 nearly as much, but more importantly, it allowed more of my clan to play, since we have clan members who haven't made it to T10 yet.  The small format was also nice.  I imagine there were clans that can't normally field 7 or 8 for clan battles, but could come up with four players.  For my clan it meant we were able to field 2 teams, with a couple additional players rotating in and out.  We were fortunate in another respect...we have a couple dedicated CV players, so had no trouble filling the CV slots.  I watched both our teams, and both pretty quickly adjusted tactics to the CV environment, and I heard not a single complaint about CVs in the game.  Perhaps having a friendly CV, who's coordinating with you, makes CVs a more positive experience for everyone?

Now much of the above comes down to personal preferences, and not everyone would agree.  One of our clan members was less-than-enthusiastic about the T8 matchup.  He personally much prefers T10, and seldom plays lower tiers unless he has to.  So my advice to WG would be...yes, do it again, with no major changes, but do continually vary the format around the edges.  Maybe run a clan brawl at T7 (would have allowed even more of our clan to play).  Maybe vary the maps.  Maybe sometimes extend the event to run over two days.

My only real complaint, which I don't believe is related to WG or the event at all, is that we had several instances of players getting disconnected, keyboards freezing up, etc.  Very first game, our cruiser player's game locked up before he fired a single shot.  Second game...both our teams lost their CV players for most of the match due to crashes.  In a later game, we're down near the end and there's nothing left but the opposing CVs.  They both decided to try to take the cap, set course, then...our CV player's game crashed.  It was both frustrating and sort of funny for the rest of us to watch as our Enterprise sailed straight on into the cap on autopilot, then was destroyed by the red GZ's secondaries, all without launching a plane in defense.  But that sort of thing's been uncommonly common of late - I suspect a symptom of heavy internet loading.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,163
[INTEL]
Members
3,464 posts
19,185 battles
16 minutes ago, Midshipman_Hornblower said:

I'll chime in to agree with most of what's already been said.  This was my first experience with clan brawls, and I found much to like. I was VERY happy that it was T8, for two reasons.  First is that I personally don't enjoy T10 nearly as much, but more importantly, it allowed more of my clan to play, since we have clan members who haven't made it to T10 yet.  The small format was also nice.  I imagine there were clans that can't normally field 7 or 8 for clan battles, but could come up with four players.  For my clan it meant we were able to field 2 teams, with a couple additional players rotating in and out.  We were fortunate in another respect...we have a couple dedicated CV players, so had no trouble filling the CV slots.  I watched both our teams, and both pretty quickly adjusted tactics to the CV environment, and I heard not a single complaint about CVs in the game.  Perhaps having a friendly CV, who's coordinating with you, makes CVs a more positive experience for everyone?

Now much of the above comes down to personal preferences, and not everyone would agree.  One of our clan members was less-than-enthusiastic about the T8 matchup.  He personally much prefers T10, and seldom plays lower tiers unless he has to.  So my advice to WG would be...yes, do it again, with no major changes, but do continually vary the format around the edges.  Maybe run a clan brawl at T7 (would have allowed even more of our clan to play).  Maybe vary the maps.  Maybe sometimes extend the event to run over two days.

My only real complaint, which I don't believe is related to WG or the event at all, is that we had several instances of players getting disconnected, keyboards freezing up, etc.  Very first game, our cruiser player's game locked up before he fired a single shot.  Second game...both our teams lost their CV players for most of the match due to crashes.  In a later game, we're down near the end and there's nothing left but the opposing CVs.  They both decided to try to take the cap, set course, then...our CV player's game crashed.  It was both frustrating and sort of funny for the rest of us to watch as our Enterprise sailed straight on into the cap on autopilot, then was destroyed by the red GZ's secondaries, all without launching a plane in defense.  But that sort of thing's been uncommonly common of late - I suspect a symptom of heavy internet loading.

Two of my most enjoyable moments was taking down an Enterprise and a Tripitz with the GZ secondaries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
429
[KIA-A]
Members
945 posts
6,048 battles
12 hours ago, ClassicLib said:

This is the most fun I’ve had in over a year. Despite my dislike for CV play in Randoms, it fell to me to play a CV on our team (total 4 battles in Random). I still don’t like them but piloting a secondary spec GZ was a blast and our battles were such fun. Normally we have trouble fielding a 7 man division so Clan Battles are rare for us. But this?  This was a blast. 
 

@Hapa_Fodder please, please bring this back. This and 1v1 are the most interesting modes WG has tried out in the last 2 years. 

Yeah, it was a lot of fun. Normally don't like tier 8 competitive but this mode was very entertaining .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×