Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DMan7701

King of the Sea Lessons...

11 comments in this topic

Members
3 posts
989 battles

Despite my profile, I still consider myself a newbie and not overly skilled here at this game.

So I've been watching YouTube videos and the finals to try and learn some things.

And I feel like the single biggest lesson I've learned is to park yourself behind islands for roughly 2/3rds of the game and wait...

That's not a criticism, because as I mentioned I'm not good at this game. Just sort of an observation from someone who is starting to try and dive into tactics more... It seems to me that the most successful games I've watched have players moving themselves like chess pieces into positions behind islands, then waiting for the other team to make a mistake/move out from behind cover/leave an island...

Am I off base in my quick conclusion? I'm honestly looking for ways to be a better player and teammate, and right now my own self-critique says I should be running for island cover and parking myself way more than I do now.

I'm interested to hear some of the lessons you all might have picked up too!

Happy sailing!

Members
3,585 posts
12,976 battles
5 minutes ago, DMan7701 said:

Am I off base in my quick conclusion? I'm honestly looking for ways to be a better player and teammate, and right now my own self-critique says I should be running for island cover and parking myself way more than I do now.

Positioning and patience (then knowing how to capitalize on these aspects) are foundations for all competitive play in most non arena shooters. 

• Cool 1

[CYNIC]
Members
2,638 posts
6,217 battles
1 minute ago, DMan7701 said:

Despite my profile, I still consider myself a newbie and not overly skilled here at this game.

So I've been watching YouTube videos and the finals to try and learn some things.

And I feel like the single biggest lesson I've learned is to park yourself behind islands for roughly 2/3rds of the game and wait...

That's not a criticism, because as I mentioned I'm not good at this game. Just sort of an observation from someone who is starting to try and dive into tactics more... It seems to me that the most successful games I've watched have players moving themselves like chess pieces into positions behind islands, then waiting for the other team to make a mistake/move out from behind cover/leave an island...

I'm interested to hear some of the lessons you all might have picked up too!

Happy sailing!

It's a little hard to see KOTS and try to replicate in randoms.  Let's say you're in a cruiser and you have good positioning and then all other ships decide to run off because lemming trains are fun I guess?  Then you have to retreat but not so much that the advancing flank can setup crossfire.   KOTS they're waiting for 1 to either make a mistake or let attrition take its toll.  In randoms you're looking to take advantage of the MANY mistakes that are made -- your exit strategy should be as important as your engagement when players lemming and leave a flank wide open.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,119 posts
4,088 battles

No. Unfortunately KOTS playstyle is very different from Random, and even Ranked. Remember those guys have a gameplan for each map and are in constant communication with one another. So they can strategically position each ship for best use, and know their teammates are going to act in a way that makes that position useful. Thus you see island camping cruisers, and BB pushes going off to the borders.

Randoms are very different. You have no idea what your team is going to do, and you can't rely on the reds doing the smart thing. So posting up behind an island is usually a bad idea because only if everything works out just right are you in an optimal position. And you just can't rely on that happening in randoms. You need flexibility in Randoms, because there is no plan. You're absolutely right, KOTS is a chess match. And just like chess there is a plan. There's way more to their positioning than cover. Each ship has a shooting lane or radar coverage. Their position is covered from counterattack by other teammates positions. Radar ships have no fire on a cap, but two other ships do, who are covered by a BB in flanking position who is covered by a DD screening for torps who in turn is covered by the cruisers. You just don't have that in Randoms. So while you absolutely should learn what they're doing in terms of shooting lanes, DD screening, and cap control, the way to apply that in Randoms is very different.

I'm not saying never get behind an island, there are times when you should. But in general you need much more flexible positioning. Because that BB you thought was covering your [edited]just decided to YOLO two shimas, died, and now your only way out is in front of a Yamato...yeah not good. So I think it's a case of do what they do, but not the way they do it.

I was actually watching and thinking several times this is a terrible model for new players to learn on. You see pushes to the border and backline BBs. The difference is that push is going somewhere, and that Repub 20km away can actually hit you. And there were times when it didn't work. Several times I saw a team make a strong push on a cap, including sending a cruiser to the border. But sometimes the enemy wasn't going for that cap, and now you have 4 ships doing essentially nothing. And while some can reposition, that cruiser is going to take a long time to get back into action, in which time the rest of the team can be overrun, putting you on the back foot. BB positioning too. Very often if the planned BB position didn't work they would have to circle the BB back to reposition, but sometimes didn't seem to have a place for him, leaving their BB way back out of position and not as effective as possible. Also a couple of border pushes got bottled up by a couple of cruisers, leaving a significant force stuck in an ineffective position. What I guess I'm saying is the passive style is definitely the way in KOTS, it is very hard to reset from that kind of position. I think that's the reason GKD got as far as they did, they played a much looser flexible game that enabled them to switch plans quickly if required. Passive and long range is brutally effective if you get it right, but get it wrong and it's very hard to come back from. That's why Random playstyle is different. And while all those teams are much better players than I ever will be, I do have to question committing so hard so early on some flanks. If the enemy is there, great. But if not, you have a problem. 

I think a famous saying sums it up. The quote "no battle plan survives first contact with the enemy" applies to KOTS. For Randoms it should be no battle plan survives first contact with your fleet.

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,217 posts
5,683 battles

Boring... There will be CVs in the coming clan battles and later in KOTS. Then, lots of the best players aren't there, as, for ex franz_von_goltz.

Members
2,439 posts
5,370 battles

Gonna laugh my [edited]off when CVs in KoTS are going to spot the entire enemy team  24/7 and get ships blapped, which usually required radar or better positioning. 

[CUTE]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,042 posts
11,191 battles
10 minutes ago, franz_von_goltz said:

Boring... There will be CVs in the coming clan battles and later in KOTS. Then, lots of the best players aren't there, as, for ex franz_von_goltz.

7 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

Gonna laugh my [edited]off when CVs in KoTS are going to spot the entire enemy team  24/7 and get ships blapped, which usually required radar or better positioning. 

KOTS is not run by WG and they can for the most part set what ever rules they want.... The rules are even different on each server, NA rules of banning ships is a NA thing. 

PS- KoTS and the old Supremacy League both have run CVs before.

[OO7]
Members
545 posts
6,770 battles
28 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

Kots organizers and teams universally banned reworked CV for 2 seasons in a row.  What are you going to be laughing at?  Pre rework cv was a feature of kots, and yet it was felt the post rework cv was so unbalanced that it was banned from competitive play.

Edited by mixmkz

Members
2,439 posts
5,370 battles
51 minutes ago, mixmkz said:

Kots organizers and teams universally banned reworked CV for 2 seasons in a row.  What are you going to be laughing at?  Pre rework cv was a feature of kots, and yet it was felt the post rework cv was so unbalanced that it was banned from competitive play.

It’s called laughing my [edited]off at WG destroying KoTS due to their........nevermind I will get chat banned again on forums.

more of “player base told you not to do this, so now you made your bed and now you must sleep in it”

Edited by Legio_X_

[CYNIC]
Members
2,638 posts
6,217 battles
1 hour ago, franz_von_goltz said:

Those who can accept it will, those who can't won't.  Games that don't release a new version every year see regular attrition.  Some leave for good, some return.  Burnout is a thing....

PR should have been in KOTS though -- 

Edited by NoSoMo

[SYN]
Members
15,861 posts
12,803 battles

KoTs tactics don't work as well in randoms, because things are more chaotic there.

However, what KoTs teaches you are good (strong) positions to pick up in X ship. This is especially so in a division, where you can coordinate better.

Strong positions allow you to rain shells on distant targets (assuming your aim is good) while protecting you from return fire.

The catch with "strong" positions, especially in randoms, is that, since the game is dynamic, said "strong" position will not be "strong" for the entirety of the match. You may find yourself suddenly surrounded, as you have decided to be static, rather than dynamic.

In randoms, it is also important to share what HP you can spare to keep your team alive by reducing the amount of shells lobbed their way.

Sign in to follow this