You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Midshipman_Hornblower

What Would You Do (when faced with Harugamo)?

10 comments in this topic

[TORCH]
Members
697 posts
17,881 battles

Ok, here's my situation, from a game earlier today.  I'm bottom tier in my T8 Hipper, and spawned on one flank with a DD, one BB, and another CL.  We start forward, and find the enemy - a BB, 2 CLs, and a DD, as you'd expect.  However, our DD is an Asashio, and the red DD is a Harugamo.  Oh, and one of the red CLs is a Smolensk.  A couple minutes later, we've killed both enemy CLs, and I'm the sole survivor on our side.  Faced with a Harugamo AND a BB, I turned and ran for my life, while trying to keep them constantly under fire.  Figured if I could survive and soften them up, and maybe make the DD stop and smoke, I could delay them till some help was available.  Well, I DID manage to survive...ALMOST till the end, but other than that, it didn't go very well.  Fighting that Harugamo was pretty frustrating.  I'm guessing he was running a range build, since he seemed to have about the same gun range as I had.  I was able to keep him out at long range, and at long range he had a lot of trouble hitting me.  I'm guessing no more than 1 in 10 of his shells actually hit, but that thing puts out such a blizzard of shells even 1 in 10 is a lot of hits.  And at that range, I couldn't hit him any better.  And don't forget that BB.  He managed to land a hit from time to time.  And since I was, for much of the game, the only target they had, they both had plenty of time.

I've heard that the way to deal with a Harugamo is to charge him, but in this case, charging a Harugamo who has a BB backing him up seems like a good way for a cruiser to suicide.  In fact, it felt to me like charging a Harugamo with a Hipper would probably be suicide, even without his BB friend.

Anyway, I'm sure that's not the last Harugamo I'll meet out there, so in my continuing effort to improve...what would more experienced players suggest - both in this particular situation, and more generally, how should a cruiser deal with a Harugamo?

[TOG]
Members
219 posts
11,352 battles

If i read this correctly they were shooting at you at long range.

Personally, once I started kiting I would have stopped firing back and gone into conceal.

If you disappear to them it gives you time to heal up, re-group with friendlies or find cover.

If they can't see you they would lose interest and turn toward your teammates or objectives and this would give you time to re-position and re-engage when circumstances favor you.

Perhaps after they take more damage from other greens. Then come in late game and finish them off. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,812 posts
4,278 battles

You're fighting two ships with one, chances are you're not going to win, nothing wrong with that. Your best chance is to disengage. Kite away and stop shooting. Either the Gumo has to close the range, or he goes and bothers someone else. By continuing to shoot you're just making it easy for them to farm you down at long range, which is what the Gumo does best. So stop shooting and run away. If they want to, they'll get you, not a whole lot you can do. But you'll at least make them work for it, and pull them away from important things like caps. Run away, regroup, and reposition. Don't continue a fight you can't win.

Members
383 posts
4,341 battles

In a situation where your an isolated CA, and there is an enemy gunboat DD, and a BB you have 2 choices depending on the circumstances.

1. Keep shooting at the BB if you will be able sustain it under fire from the enemy DD. Some gunboat DDs are ineffective at extremely long ranges, in these scenarios you can dodge, while still being "active" by hitting the easy target available. If you are going to die to quickly to do much impact on the BB, then stop shooting and go to the 2nd choice.

2. Stop shooting, re-position to a better fire position if possible, and shoot later. In this scenario you have to be far enough to go invis, if the enemies are too close, you have to back to the first scenario to the best of your ability. In this scenario you hold fire, and turn around to go further from your team and start shooting later from the enemy's flank once they stop focusing you. This will force the enemy to split their fire on you, or the rest of your team, and force them to potentially waste time chasing you. Again you'd probably focus the BB as its an easier target to hit at range, unless you get a jump on the DD, in which case shoot and aim for it if you can hit it reliably in any capacity. 

Bad choices are:

- Keep shooting at the DD at long ranges, where each missed shot is a shot not worth taking. 

- Turn around to 2v1 solo mission all or nothing, which almost never works unless the enemy is complete fools and lets you torp/ram them

- hold fire, disappear and drive back to your team. This might seem reasonable, but being near you team will not protect you any more then being away from your team. Obvious exceptions would be if you have like 1k health, where living in any capacity is more useful, or if there is a CV who can focus you down if your isolated, and you can't sustain an isolated fire position by yourself. 

This is a non-optimal situation to be in, but its not a hopeless one. 

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
38,139 battles

This kind of negative experience is why I have never played Haru in Randoms. It just sucks for the players under that constant stream of HE. 

• Boring 1

[TORCH]
Members
697 posts
17,881 battles

Thanks for all the answers.  I think you're right...in this situation I probably should have gone dark, at least for awhile.

More generally, when confronted with Harugao, but absent the BB backup, would people tend to charge him?  His individual shells don't do much damage, but there are SO MANY of them.  I'm not sure a cruiser - especially one 2 tiers lower - would survive long enough to kill him.

[-WTP-]
Beta Testers
3,796 posts
14,649 battles

Use AP on the haru as it take full pen damage, most of the time if you are landing shots the dd player will realise you can hit at range and disengage themselves (if they are smart), by saying you were not hitting them much, it lets the DD continually fire at you, as they know they will win the trading war with you.

As most have said, and all is good advice, break contact, heal up and reposition, a 2 v1 is not a winning situation, unless their HP is so low you can take them both on and trade accordingly.

I do play Haru, and I do use range builds, and yes you may miss a percentage of your shots.  It is the whittling down of your HP that gets you in the end, by not breaking from them. 

Members
729 posts
10,248 battles
41 minutes ago, Midshipman_Hornblower said:

More generally, when confronted with Harugao, but absent the BB backup, would people tend to charge him?  His individual shells don't do much damage, but there are SO MANY of them.  I'm not sure a cruiser - especially one 2 tiers lower - would survive long enough to kill him.

Charging a Harugumo in a Hipper is a bad idea most of the time. It does three times as much damage as you and you only have 50% more health, so unless you torp it, detonate it, or it starts with low hp you should expect to lose.

Hipper is bad against DDs overall because the damage output is so low, and there are a lot of other ships that will beat you in a straight up fight the same way. If you have to fight it you could try to fight at a range where your better shell velocity helps, or kite away and shoot the BB (or the Harugumo if it's spotted).

[WOLF3]
Members
29,787 posts
25,727 battles

Charging the Harugumo or most any Destroyer when they got friends in the area still is suicidal.  Most especially if you're a Cruiser and there's a Battleship staring right at you.

The only thing you could typically do was run and try to save the ship for a more favorable fight, and not giving the reds points for killing you.

The only thing I think you could have done better was stop shooting and go dark, use island if any while retreating to break LOS, "just in case."

Sometimes it's good to kite, retreat, and fire back.  Sometimes it's better to just retreat, hold gunfire, and "Go Dark" and save the ship.

Another possibility, especially since you had Admiral Hipper, was to fight in cluster of islands if any are nearby, that drastically cuts down the engagement range.  Admiral Hipper with her German Hydro, 2x3 torps per side, quirky High Tier German CA protection scheme, and 203mm guns becomes very dangerous in that setting.  You may likely still lose to a DD + BB combo, but you'll do a lot more damage with guns + torpedoes from your Admiral Hipper in a short ranged fight.