You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
sargentmki

Convince me to move onto the Gearing from the Fletcher

19 comments in this topic

Members
383 posts
4,138 battles

I've been at the tier 9 Fletcher for years, it was my first tier 9 (or close second, been so long) and still hasn't been fully researched out. I stopped moving up the line, for a few reasons, like CV changes, stressful-ness of DD play, and the simple fact I don't really see whats so great about the Gearing when compared to the Fletcher.

So convince me why I should finally finish the Fletcher and get the Gearing (I'l only drive 1 going forward, too cheap to dedicated 2 captains haha).

PS. I don't play clan wars or ranked, so getting tier 10 for the sake of tier 10 isn't important to me :)

[USCG]
Members
576 posts
19,969 battles

Gearing is a solid T10 DD. Good torps and guns. Is she the best? No, I don’t believe so. Daring, IMO, might be the best T10 DD. 

Anywho, if all you do is research/buy her for the standard anniversary super container and/or Santa crate that might be something to consider. Drop a three point skipper on her and see what happens.

Good luck...

[RLGN]
Members
14,306 posts
25,245 battles
1 hour ago, cgbosn4 said:

Daring, IMO, might be the best T10 DD.

@Destroyer_KuroshioKai would likely agree with you.

Since my positioning sense is average at best; to me it’s just another x-flake port queen.

Anywho, if all you do is research/buy her for the standard anniversary super container and/or Santa crate that might be something to consider.

Except for some recent LU grinding; pretty much the only reason I play my T10s.

Drop a three point skipper on her and see what happens.

Play it in Co-op if you didn’t want to use a 3-point captain in Randoms.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Members
383 posts
4,138 battles
On 4/4/2020 at 1:16 PM, cgbosn4 said:

if all you do is research/buy her for the standard anniversary super container and/or Santa crate that might be something to consider.

What are these perks exactly? 

[WOLF1]
Members
15 posts
3,610 battles

Because if your torpedos miss you’ll probably kill something else anyway. It happens more often than you might think. 

Members
70 posts
4,688 battles

I upgraded to the Gearing last night and I'll tell you the guns are very fast firing especially if you have the faster reload (-12%) and also adrenaline rush which gives you -.2  faster reload per 1% of HP lost.  It's down to 2.7 sec. Also something to consider you have two turrets on your bow with four guns and can fight bow-on with other destroyers who must point their port/star towards you to get all their guns targeting you, this is especially useful when the enemy DD launches torps at you.

I routinely wreck bigger ships much faster than with my Fletcher.

Edited by Systemlord_1

[META_]
Members
1,247 posts
16,103 battles

I'm not saying she's better than Fletcher, I have 55-60% winrates in both but I do like the gun configuration better on the Gearing..... If I'm fighting in my American dds all the way up to Fletcher I have to show just about broadside to get my guns on 🎯.... On the Gearing you have 66% of your guns on 🎯 from bow on.... So your showing a slim silhouette of maybe 20% or less of your ship but giving out 66%of your firepower... This is how I use her in dd fights when I don't sneak up from behind..... Alot of the tier tens out gun her but have to show broadside to ger their guns on her, bow on at close range I like my odds, happy hunting Captain 😎 

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles

Gearing has been a very good torpedo boat DD for me, while also possessing good AA and guns. And has long been a very reliable workhorse DD for many players.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,081 posts
23,857 battles

Not a DD main, but going by the numbers, a thing Gearing has is better torpedo flexibility.

She accesses the same Fletcher torps, but she also has the option for her regular 16.5km torps which IMO are better suited for the dangers in Tier X.  You are contending with the likes of Daring, Kleber, Des Memes, Moskva, etc.

Mk 16 mod 1 / Fletcher torps 2x5

103 seconds reload

10.5km range

19k damage

66kts / TTM1 makes it 71kts

1.4km detection

Mk 17 / Regular Gearing torps 2x5

116 seconds reload

16.5km range

17.9km damage - Worse than the Fletcher torps but it's still very respectable.

66kts / TTM1 makes it 71kts

1.4km detection

The big game changer with the 16.5km torps is that extra range gives flexibility in how you can specialize into them.  You could combine TTM1 upgrade and TA / Torpedo Acceleration trait.  The range drops to 13.2km which is still much longer than the Fletcher torps' 10.5km, while getting 74kts speed.

Doing the same with the Fletcher torps grants the same speed benefit, but the range gets cut down to a dangerous 8.4km.

There are IJN DD players I think that would kill to have those 16.5km Gearing torps.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,243 posts
12,671 battles

Gearing is one of the very few ships with good/practical unique upgrades. No one expected 5.6km concealment Gearing. Can be really trolly.

[GWG]
Members
6,962 posts
13,503 battles

Nothing preventing you from keeping BOTH..

I have Fletcher, Black, Kidd, and the Gearing.

Gearing:  Nose-in, you have 4 guns blazing while you suicide charge in for an easy torp kill.

[CVA16]
Members
5,391 posts
16,216 battles

Well, you do get to be top tier EVERY game! Of course that probably hurts your earnings as you get more for engaging higher tier ships. Or so I've been told.

Edited by Sabot_100

[AXANR]
Members
3,633 posts
22,448 battles

Fletcher was my first tier 9, and it took me three years to buy Gearing. only bought her for the steel bonus during Xmas last year and left my 19 point capt on Fletcher. Fletcher is a great tier 9 boat; powercrept but still holds her own. Gearing is a meh t10 boat and powercreep has hit her even harder than Fletcher. 

tldr there's no good reason to replace Gearing with Fletcher even though owning as many t10 boats as possible pays dividends for certain events. 

[CVLUL]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,422 posts
13,457 battles

Gearing is still good, especially since she has been receiving some nice buffs, both direct and indirect.  TTM1 for example has a critical HP buff to improve your torp durability, a long standing issue I had with Gearing and Yue Yang.

If you CB and are serious about DDs, you should either have Somers or Gearing, preferably both.  Gearing is still the ship with the most configurations I'll use.  I have five 19 point captains assigned to her for different builds and play styles.  Daring is more a free play ship in competitive than Gearing which is typically used to support the team with the best in class smoke.  Your torps are long range enough you can make some interesting torp drops at ships angling at BBs and Stalingrads from across the map.  The torp reload is pretty spicy now days too.

Heres a recent video showing the old girl still has it:

[HAI]
Members
74 posts
4,519 battles

I've played both a lot. 

Fletcher is a pleasure to pilot in that it is actually more maneuverable and has a better main battery firing range than Gearing.  It can also be more enjoyable in an all tier IX matchmaking game, as Tier X cruisers get a way better boost in rate of fire and power than you'll get going from Fletcher > Gearing.  So Fletcher tends to stay alive in those games better.  But Fletcher will still play against tier X matchmaking, so that's somewhat RNG. 

Gearing has some notable advantages though, especially when facing other tier IX & X destroyers. 

You have 3 twin turrets, so you volley for 6 shells instead of 5, and have about a 10% faster base reload on top of that, so Gearing's DPM is notably higher than Fletcher (about 33% from the extra turret & faster reload).  You also have two twin turrets facing forward, so you can still put out decent DPM even if you're pursuing a target and not showing broadside at all, as opposed to fletcher, which has to reveal a lot of the ship to fire it's guns effectively.  Gearing also has a 21 mm side plate that can shatter some of the HE shells of DDs that only have 120 mm guns or less, which can make it surprisingly sturdy in certain DD gun fights.  It also has a long range torp option (16.5 km) that can be very good against the 12 km russian bias radar spam meta. 

Edited by Falran

[CVA16]
Members
5,391 posts
16,216 battles
On 7/14/2020 at 1:55 PM, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

I have five 19 point captains assigned to her for different builds and play styles. 

I do have to wonder how you got  five 19 pt captains for just the Gearing? How many 19 pointers do you have?

[CVLUL]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,422 posts
13,457 battles
6 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

I do have to wonder how you got  five 19 pt captains for just the Gearing? How many 19 pointers do you have?

I do not know the total.  Almost every ship I have from T6 to 10 has one, and some have multiple if the ship is used in comp with multiple builds.  I simply got that many by dumping excess ECXP and FXP gained from clan battles into leveling as many captains as I could, usually to prep the ships I was interested in for an upcoming ranked season.  Using up all the super XP bonus signals and camos in CB is disgusting how fast it adds up.

• Cool 1