You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
RockChunker

IOWA Burn baby burn

5 comments in this topic

[QCM]
Members
95 posts
7,051 battles

I just got the Iowa and I know I have a learning curve ahead of me, but JeezeLouise.....this thing is a tinderbox. It seems like every shell that hits me sets me on fire.  Now, one thing that comes to mind is that historically, American ships are pretty battle worthy (Except in wg's view).  I mean, the damage control of these ships have a pretty good reputation.  'Somehow' I got the dumb idea that the Iowa was gonna be a stout ship.   I'm only half way thru setting up the modules yet, because I need to take out a mortgage loan to finance the mods (lol).  Anyway, I just thought I'd ask you guys for  your ideas and suggestions.  Thanks in advance.

Respects,

RockChunker

UPDATE:  I just noticed I am now in debt every game.  It looks like I am going in the hole for about 55,000 silver every game.  Is this happening to anyone else?

Members
383 posts
3,967 battles

To make money in a non-prem tier 9 you need to do well in a match to break even and or have a premium account. There is a high cost to repairing and re-arming your ship every match, and without premium you won't see that much increased credit gains, thus overall you can easily start losing money. This is a game balance feature to help prevent players from just driving high tiers all the time, and to add incentive to buying a premium ship to grind credits.

The Iowa will burn like any other BB at high tiers. It will burn all the time, not really because its more tinderbox then other BBs (its only kinda on the tall side), but because HE at this tier is more potent. The Iowa actually has 2 advantages, other BBs don't have which help against succumbing to fire.

1. It can actually do something at range. Unlike the KM and RU BBs, which are almost totally ineffective at 12km+ against cruisers (main fire starters), the Iowa can still get hits at longer ranges. This doesn't mean you should stay being afraid at 15km+ ranges, but it does mean you don't need to get super close to stay effective, especially if getting closer means getting focused by more and more enemies. (or just use cover ;D)

2. The Iowa is actually pretty stealthy when outfitted properly (sub 13km spotting distance), which allows it to disengage and re-heal fire damage.

Generally being able to stick to cover, while still being effective, and having the option to go invis in longer range fights are keys to playing the Iowa to its advantages as a mid-range BB. 

Also drive something else until you get enough money for all the modules, you don't want to auto-nerf yourself anymore then you have to by being stock and having missing modules. As said above you really wont see any credit gains until you start driving the ship well enough, so you'll need to drive something that reliably gains more credits to finish outfitting the Iowa, then you can take her out of port ready for the stock grind. :D

edit: I forgot to add, each of upgrades for the ship are pretty expensive as well, at a few million each, so keep saving up haha

Edited by sargentmki

[QCM]
Members
95 posts
7,051 battles

Sorry, but losing 50-90k silver every game until

(1) I get the hang of this ship or break my bank.

(2) Invest real $$$ just to break even, well that doesn't work for me either.

If WG's marketing strategy is to take my $$$ for each game, then the 'Fun-O-Meter' is sitting in the zero range.  This ship will stay in dock until hell freezes over

Members
383 posts
3,967 battles

WG marketing strategy is to get you to pay for premium or premium ships so you don't have to drive low tier ships all the time to make up for losses.

If you don't want to pay (I almost never buy premium time), then just drive lower tiers by grinding up other lines to get some funds back.

You can't blame WG for not letting you drive tier 9 non-stop with no repercussions, because then no one will be driving lower tiers which hurts the games in multiple ways.

Upgrade the ship, play it less once its upgraded, and learn to play it better in that matches you drive it. Consider it a "splurge" until you get the hang of it, otherwise you'll see even more pain and misery at tier 10. In the mean-time grind up some other line(s) to get more bang for your buck and pull in funds for your high tier escapades. 

Members
959 posts
4,130 battles

Hey there!

I recently wrote an article on the Iowa. Check it out.

:SerB: