You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

Swedish DDs Captain skills

14 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
4,964 posts
14,904 battles

Anybody have a good build for the Swedish DDs?

Only have the first 2 so far. PM and LS are a must and CE will be when I get there (tired of being outspotted by almost everything). What other skills fill out the list?

Not sure the Visby is worth the investment but Vasteras seems a bit better.

[MINVY]
[MINVY]
Members
709 posts
6,115 battles

The line feels better as you move up. I didn't play the 5 much doesn't do it for me. I use BFT on them for both the reload and extra AA. SE foe extra hit points and TAE because your torps are great. Sure they hit soft but you can land multiples on targets.

[ANKER]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
554 posts
12,329 battles

Tier 5 and 6 makes you want to get turret traverse but at tier 7 it gets some what better.

Here is my build and I believe I got it off either Flamu or  Notser.

Priority target, last stand, superintendent and concealment expert ; first 10 points. Go survivability expert next, then Basic firing training, adrenaline rush and preventive maintenance. 

[CVA16]
Members
4,964 posts
14,904 battles
15 minutes ago, Condor_Legion said:

Tier 5 and 6 makes you want to get turret traverse but at tier 7 it gets some what better.

I noticed this right away. Thought LS had to be the first 2pt skill but really wanted EM. Turrets are cruiser level slow so the ship has trouble bringing the guns to bear when changing targets or dodging.

[SALVO]
Members
24,197 posts
24,546 battles

I'd think that the first 4 should be PT, LS, SE, and CE, same as for nearly all DDs.  After that is where it gets uncertain.  One can go in a number of different directions and not really be wrong.  One could go for torps (which to me, would mostly be just taking TAE at level 3).  Or one could go for guns.  I'm leaving towards guns, because I'm not so sure that the reload boost from TAE is worth as much as buffing your guns and AA with BFT. 

But beyond the first 10 points, do you spend the remaining 9 as 2-3-4, or 3-3-3, or 3-3-2-1, etc. (That is, 2-3-4 being 1 L2 skill, 1 L3 skill, and 1 L4 skill.)  For example, I could see taking the L4 skill, Radio Location, if you wanted to mix it up more aggressively with enemy DDs.  Or I could see going the 3-3-3 route and taking both TAE and BFT, plus perhaps DE.  

It seems to me that there are a lot of good options here and none of them are completely right or wrong, because the higher tier Swedish DDs, starting at tier 7, can easily go either way, guns or torps, or even trying to balance both.

• Cool 1

[FEM]
Supertester
274 posts
8,102 battles

Those Destroyers are pretty much torpedo boats with guns only for self defense.
Their guns and the hulls are not good enough to make viable gunboats out of them as they are too slow and too sluggish with no smoke to reliably use the guns without taking huge amount of damage in return.
The basic build for all of them are those 12 points:

• PT
  • LS
  • SE
  • CE
  • AR

You want them on all Destroyers on the line. After that it basically comes down to this.

• TAE
  • SI
  • RL

You have to chose 2 out of those 3 depending on your personal preference and playstyle. TAE is a bit useless on the lower tiers because the torp reload is already so short but becomes really helpful on the T9 and T10.
With no smoke avaiable and their detection not being great I highly recomment that RL is one of the skills you take so the "real" choice is between 1 more heal (SI) oir quicker torp reload (TAE).

However this only applies for the line. I'd take a totally different approach on the Smaland.

[R-F2]
Members
581 posts
9,305 battles

I got up to the Skåne in my boxes. I'm using this build.

PM>LS>SE>CE is pretty standard for a DD. I usually take PT first, but these ships constantly lose their engine and rudder and there's no smoke to use when that happens. AR is the best value for skill points in the game so I take that as well. With the remaining 7 points I think the obvious thing is to take SI for the extra heal (and since the heal is your only real defense), PT because the target count is really useful for knowing when to stop shooting in the open, and then either 10% torpedo reload or 10% gun reload.

I picked BFT because I only had the elite commander xp for one 19 point captain and BFT is better on the Småland, but at least on the Skåne I think it's more useful than torpedo reload. Torpedo reload only gives you a 6 second improvement, so it doesn't do anything unless you torp someone within the 6 seconds immediately after your torpedoes load, where BFT is useful whenever you're shooting your guns. Skåne doesn't have the range or dodging ability to be a pure gunboat, but the guns are quite good for DD fights or for lighting a fire on someone who just repaired a flood (and then using the 10 km range to disengage and get unspotted) and most games I do something like half of my damage with guns. That might change at the higher tiers though, the gun damage and fire starting relative to tier stays pretty good but people at tier 10 do get better at shooting you or ctrl+clicking you with an 11 km secondary BB.

[CVA16]
Members
4,964 posts
14,904 battles
8 minutes ago, WernerHerzdog said:

AR is the best value for skill points in the game so I take that as well.

On boats where the turrets are so damn slow, I sometimes debate this. Whether it is better to be able to get  off more shots off during the game or just when you are about dead. Where you still may not be able to keep your faster firing guns on target because of the slow turrets. Of course AR buffs the torp reload too. Not always an easy decision.

[R-F2]
Members
581 posts
9,305 battles
6 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

On boats where the turrets are so damn slow, I sometimes debate this. Whether it is better to be able to get  off more shots off during the game or just when you are about dead. Where you still may not be able to keep your faster firing guns on target because of the slow turrets. Of course AR buffs the torp reload too. Not always an easy decision.

For me the turrets on the tier 7 are just fast enough not to be a problem. On the tier 5 and 6 I have turret traverse instead of the torpedo speed module.

I would definitely rather give up torpedo speed than AR. 

[LMDDB]
Members
29 posts
5,010 battles

Why do so few DD builds seem to include PM? It seems essential to me?  Doesn't stack with LS and ship mods or? Maybe I am biased because in coop (which I play most) it seems first thing bots do with their super god like accuracy is take out engine and steering. First 10 for me PM, LS, SE, CE.  I am also debating SI, TA, or taking a DE? 

I know this is commander build thread, but what are folks thoughts on taking aiming systems or torp mod in the EU ship builds?  I took torps mod on Visby, and aiming systems on Vasteras and Skane, now with Oland I am kinda undecided which is better since they are all torp oriented ships.  I do use guns a lot to get out of jams and take on DD that charge.  

[R-F]
Members
133 posts
8,725 battles
4 hours ago, Draperk148 said:

Why do so few DD builds seem to include PM? It seems essential to me?  Doesn't stack with LS and ship mods or? Maybe I am biased because in coop (which I play most) it seems first thing bots do with their super god like accuracy is take out engine and steering. First 10 for me PM, LS, SE, CE.  I am also debating SI, TA, or taking a DE? 

I know this is commander build thread, but what are folks thoughts on taking aiming systems or torp mod in the EU ship builds?  I took torps mod on Visby, and aiming systems on Vasteras and Skane, now with Oland I am kinda undecided which is better since they are all torp oriented ships.  I do use guns a lot to get out of jams and take on DD that charge.  

Its much more important to know if someone is aiming at you in a random battle than if a bot is aiming at you in coop. Both skills are viable but I prefer the little bit of extra information priority target gives.

[LMDDB]
Members
29 posts
5,010 battles
14 hours ago, Jagdpanzer131 said:

Its much more important to know if someone is aiming at you in a random battle than if a bot is aiming at you in coop. Both skills are viable but I prefer the little bit of extra information priority target gives.

Thanks that makes sense.

Members
552 posts
5,360 battles

My build with Ostergotland is:

PT, PM

AR, LS

SE, TAE, SI

CE

I took MBM2 in slot 3 and TTM2 in slot 6.  This gets my torp reload down to 76.5s before AR kicks in.  Not sure if this build is entirely optimal, but I've never been great at min/maxing and it seems to work reasonably well.  Unfortunately the PE DDs captains builds are very skill hungry.  I'd love another 5 points to take EM and BFT; AFT maybe for lulz but the shells are so floaty you'd be lucky to hit an island at max range.  However given a 19 point limit and the base stats of the ship I feel strongly that t7 and up are torp first boats with defensive guns, so I opted to focus on boosting the torps and survivability.  I am very curious to see what @Destroyer_KuroshioKai thinks of these boats and what builds work best.

[-TNT-]
Members
933 posts
17,764 battles
On 4/4/2020 at 11:52 AM, Sabot_100 said:

Anybody have a good build for the Swedish DDs?

Only have the first 2 so far. PM and LS are a must and CE will be when I get there (tired of being outspotted by almost everything). What other skills fill out the list?

Not sure the Visby is worth the investment but Vasteras seems a bit better.

I have three builds to choose from depending on my mood and if I am div with classmates. The first build is Adm. Jerzy Swizski for solo playing. The second build is teaming up with a clan member who's using a CV. The final build is my full ham idiot build within a division.  Note: The modules change in the 6th slot. Hope this helps.

Torp-RPF build.png

Commander AA build.png

Cmdr TAE-Gun build.png

• Cool 1