You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Joe_918145

Your most heartbreaking loss?

19 comments in this topic

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
454 posts
20,092 battles

A couple of days ago I was in a standard battle on the Fault Line map.  The enemy had 3 very low hp cruisers left, our team had a CV and one cruiser with almost full health remaining.  Our cruiser was sitting on the enemy base when the CV managed to sink 2 of the 3 enemy ships with a double strike.  LOL!  It was icing on the cake for a sure win.

With about 2 seconds left to cap the enemy base, our cruiser decided to leave the cap and sail across the map to engage the last enemy who was now shelling our CV.  Our CV was then sunk, and our hero sailed full broadside to an almost dead enemy.  He ate 3 torps, was deleted, and our team lost.

In summary, the guy lost the game twice for us.  Once for leaving the enemy base and again for misplaying the engagement with the last remaining enemy ship.

All this was despite numerous requests in chat that he 1) not leave the cap and 2) not expose his broadside to an enemy that had less than 100 hp left.  He ignored all the suggestions. 

After stewing over the loss for a while, I sent the guy a chat with a link to Cap's 'Never cap' video, telling him that the game we just played was my most heartbreaking loss ever.  That was it, I was nice in the chat despite what I really wanted to say.  Again he never responded.

Do you have any defeats that keep haunting you well after the game ended?  

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,562 posts
11,136 battles

No there all heart breaking to tell you the truth but I do feel your pain after a loss like that.

[GOB]
Members
2,034 posts
40 minutes ago, Joe_918145 said:

giphdydtysdyjy.gif

[TBW]
Members
10,276 posts
17,433 battles

Even though it is considered a win, a one star victory on Aegis, with a random team and a full load of signals and Camos on a 200% first win day. The reason I say Aegis is because it's so hard to lose on Aegis, that the team has to be absolutely horrible to lose or one star that Operation.Newport isn't signal worthy and Killer Whale and Raptor Rescue can go bad with a random team, but then I expect that from those Operations.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[PVE]
Members
4,253 posts
18,541 battles

A random match, a long time ago, and I took my Fabuki out for the last time in Randoms......  I must have lived a good life that day because, I had a Kraken and our lone BB killed the last enemy ship and all we had to do was "just cap one" and win.....   Their carrier was out-of-range for our BB and I was headed towards the last cap................and then, planes.  And, more planes and there was no way to survive even getting to that cap with an almost undamaged Fabuki........no matter how hard I tried and jinked and evaded those rockets........they finally, just seconds from the win......killed me and that lost the game.....   And, it was the last random match I have played since Intentionally.   There is no value in a process where there is no way to fight back, even if you have the skill; but, the process is stacked against you.......

• Boring 1

[PHD]
Beta Testers
231 posts
5,844 battles

This one from just three days ago. Most of the team melted quickly, and there were only a couple of us that had to work our asses off to try to pull off the win. A BB pushed up and played very well but eventually went down. I had pushed up not far behind the team as well to avoid being flanked and to stay closer to the enemy fleet to keep strikes going quickly. But I failed to hide my carrier properly and my stern was sticking out. It came down to me and a low HP enemy cruiser. My torpedo bombers dropped, and the torps were about 4 seconds away from hitting him, getting the 8th kill, and the victory, but alas, his shells landed first. Looking back on it, there were a couple mistakes I made that had I not done would have secured the win, but heat of the moment and all :( :(

shot-20.04.01_11.02.05-0912.jpg

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,631 battles

We needed to kill a Lexington with 10k hp in one minute (4v1). Instead of killing him, our moron of a Venezia hid in his smoke. The Lion TKed him for being a fool, but that meant his guns were reloading when the opportunity came to shoot. A pair of idiots, who I'd like to think have uninstalled.

[WOOKY]
WoWS Community Contributors
8 posts
6,901 battles

Luckily I was in a multi-stream contest for most damage done while still losing.

defeat.jpg

Members
327 posts
16,266 battles

Probably that game where I did 369336 damage and still lost handily.

Edited by Telastyn

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
7 hours ago, Joe_918145 said:

A couple of days ago I was in a standard battle on the Fault Line map.  The enemy had 3 very low hp cruisers left, our team had a CV and one cruiser with almost full health remaining.  Our cruiser was sitting on the enemy base when the CV managed to sink 2 of the 3 enemy ships with a double strike.  LOL!  It was icing on the cake for a sure win.

With about 2 seconds left to cap the enemy base, our cruiser decided to leave the cap and sail across the map to engage the last enemy who was now shelling our CV.  Our CV was then sunk, and our hero sailed full broadside to an almost dead enemy.  He ate 3 torps, was deleted, and our team lost.

In summary, the guy lost the game twice for us.  Once for leaving the enemy base and again for misplaying the engagement with the last remaining enemy ship.

All this was despite numerous requests in chat that he 1) not leave the cap and 2) not expose his broadside to an enemy that had less than 100 hp left.  He ignored all the suggestions. 

After stewing over the loss for a while, I sent the guy a chat with a link to Cap's 'Never cap' video, telling him that the game we just played was my most heartbreaking loss ever.  That was it, I was nice in the chat despite what I really wanted to say.  Again he never responded.

Any time that you need just a few points to win.

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,598 posts
10,459 battles

Those are tough losses to even think about.  I have too many of those to even determine which is best to describe.

I had one recently where we had 2 caps to the enemy's 1, but they had a slight lead.  We had 4 ships to their 3.  If all stayed the same, they were going to reach 1000 before we did.  We had 3 BBs going to their cap and engaging the enemy, where they had 1 BB (1/2 health Colorado) backing up.  Their cruiser was low health and was last seen heading to the back corner.  Our CV was engaging the enemy CV, so the enemy CV wasn't even an issue.  Our BBs were a 3/4 health Nagao, 3/4 health New Mexico, and a 3/4 health Dunkirk.  I was elated, figuring we had this game in the bag.  All we really had to do was steam into their cap and not die and we would overtake their score before the game timer expired.  If we killed one of their ships, it would definitely seal the victory sooner.  The enemy Colorada was between 2 islands.  On the approach, our Nagato and New Mexico decided it would be best to turn and hide behind the islands, not even in the cap, thus taking their guns out of the game.  Our poor Dunkirk that was trailing them, charged bravely on and actually almost killed the Colorado before game timer expired for their win.  He was down around 3k health left.  Our NM and Nagato lived with most of their health, but lost the game that they could have secured.  We only lost by a few points.  It's almost as if players fear their ships will disappear from their ports forever if they get killed in a game.

Members
31 posts
5,047 battles

Enemy team up on points with the very last BB of 100hp in sight and a salvo on the way.  You know how the game freezes shells in flight when the timer expires?  Froze the salvo feet away.  Closest game I ever saw.

[PVE]
Members
11,776 posts
24,394 battles

Those game where you carry so hard and just come up short at the end are tough. For me I guess it would be...

Randoms: I have horrible luck in PVP. I am no great player but am better than my WR shows. I always seem to wind up on the teams that get roflstomped and one of the last, or THE last guy left alive trying to somehow win the game though. Because I didn't play enough games when I did play PVP my shooting wasn't (isn't) great at range (never mastered the skill) which makes it hard for me. I have pulled a couple out but usually I eventually go down or we lose on points/time. My worst was a game in Bayern and was way back in 2017 (when I stopped playing it a lot). I pushed up to support the DD's and Cruisers at a cap only to see them die off. I managed to get the cap though and kill 2. I then realized we were pretty much tied with the enemy on pts but it was just me and our CV vs 4 of them (BB/2X CL/CV) and we had 2 caps to 1. Our CV was getting closed in on so I went to its aid. I was able to draw attention away from it, and it then got the 2 CL's, but I was almost dead from HE spam fires and CV attacks when I realized I had a chance to ram the enemy BB who grounded just a few km ahead of me. I was ALMOST to it when the red CV torped me. That BB ended up getting our CV and we lost. If I had been able to take that BB out I believe our CV would have taken the enemy one or it would have ended with a point win. That was like my 5th loss in a row in Bayern in PVP. Was only about 92K damage with 2 kills and a solo cap but I did my best and we had the chance to win if I could have just rammed that BB that grounded. :Smile_facepalm:

Spoiler

S5Qzl5q.jpg

Co-op: 1st off YES you can lose in Co-op and YES it can be a painful loss. Losses in Co-op happen because people go in with the mindset it is a guaranteed win OR they are only there for a mission of some kind and don't care about anything else. People ignore caps, don't defend base, play stupid, etc... and let the bots get up on ships and/or points and losses can happen. No matter how well you play there are times you can't carry the bag of potatoes you got saddled with not to mention the bots always know where you are and have laser guided ordinance so you have to be playing at the top of your game when trying to carry a blown game most times. The Goliath game below is the worst loss for me in Co-op to date. I played my butt off but just ran out of time which forced me to take a gamble which failed. Near the end it was me vs the bot Republique, Kreml, and CV AND we were down on points big with about 9 mins left (maybe 8). Got the CV, got the Kreml, got 2 caps to get their points slowed way down but they still had 1 and time was running out. I started towards their last cap (the one I had originally taken they got back which was only one the team took early on) but realized I didn't have time to get there and get it. Right then the bot Republique appeared behind me heading in my direction (like 12km +/-). So I sent torps at it and got to a kite position I hoped would draw it into the torps and fired. The second I fired I knew I was dead but had no choice as we were going to lose anyway. I thought I might at least get a couple salvos off but it instantly fired back as they do (again they always know where you are) and with it's amazing RNG blessed bot accuracy stove piped me for multiple cits and killed me. Not sure what else I could have done in this one but it is definitely my worst loss.

Spoiler

hX9AzBk.jpg

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
454 posts
20,092 battles

@Admiral_Thunder the fact that you have saved those screenshots after all this time says it all.  I'm not sure I would want to be reminded with a screenshot (or worse, replay) of the the beat down I felt ref the battle that caused me to start this thread.  :Smile_unsure:

And you are correct, there a several co-op games where I've been on a losing team that stick in my memory as well.  Whether it's PVP or PVE, I think it's the fact that a player can see a clear way to have prevented the loss that causes the pain.

Another loss that sticks in my mind happened a couple of years ago on Two Brothers.  It came down to myself and one enemy ship.  They had the points lead, so I knew I had to kill the last ship if we were to win.  I was not detected, neither was he, but I reasoned he must be on a cap directly down the channel from me.  I ran the channel, and as the 10 second timer started running, the enemy CL appeared full broadside about 2 km in front of my Kongo exactly as I had hoped.  I fired AND MISSED. 

Blame it on the pressure that time was about to expire, or the fact that I was even more of a potato back then, but for as long as I play this game I'll not forget costing my team the win.  The thing is, had I not reasoned correctly about where he was hiding and had never had a chance to shoot it would have just been another loss.  It's the fact that I had a clear path to a win and blew it that causes the pain.

[WPORT]
Members
5,370 posts
10,403 battles
22 hours ago, Joe_918145 said:

Your most heartbreaking loss?

By Joe_918145, 22 hours ago in General Game Discussion

I still miss my Zuiho, Tier-5, Aircraft Carrier.

• Cool 1

Members
2,137 posts
13,146 battles
23 hours ago, Joe_918145 said:

that keep haunting you well after the game ended?  

My most heartbreaking loss is the respect of WG.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
11,776 posts
24,394 battles
3 hours ago, Joe_918145 said:

@Admiral_Thunder the fact that you have saved those screenshots after all this time says it all.  I'm not sure I would want to be reminded with a screenshot (or worse, replay) of the the beat down I felt ref the battle that caused me to start this thread.  :Smile_unsure:

And you are correct, there a several co-op games where I've been on a losing team that stick in my memory as well.  Whether it's PVP or PVE, I think it's the fact that a player can see a clear way to have prevented the loss that causes the pain.

Another loss that sticks in my mind happened a couple of years ago on Two Brothers.  It came down to myself and one enemy ship.  They had the points lead, so I knew I had to kill the last ship if we were to win.  I was not detected, neither was he, but I reasoned he must be on a cap directly down the channel from me.  I ran the channel, and as the 10 second timer started running, the enemy CL appeared full broadside about 2 km in front of my Kongo exactly as I had hoped.  I fired AND MISSED. 

Blame it on the pressure that time was about to expire, or the fact that I was even more of a potato back then, but for as long as I play this game I'll not forget costing my team the win.  The thing is, had I not reasoned correctly about where he was hiding and had never had a chance to shoot it would have just been another loss.  It's the fact that I had a clear path to a win and blew it that causes the pain.

That PVP Bayern loss was pretty much the final nail in the coffin for my PVP days. I have played a little after that but I just got so sick and tired of loss after loss after loss, no matter what I did, that I just had it. Add in all the salt in chat and dead people blaming me for the loss and such and back to Co-op I went and have stayed. And to be totally honest I prefer the Co-op meta (ie: always a brawl).

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
4,253 posts
18,541 battles
On 4/5/2020 at 11:29 AM, AdmiralThunder said:

That PVP Bayern loss was pretty much the final nail in the coffin for my PVP days. I have played a little after that but I just got so sick and tired of loss after loss after loss, no matter what I did, that I just had it. Add in all the salt in chat and dead people blaming me for the loss and such and back to Co-op I went and have stayed. And to be totally honest I prefer the Co-op meta (ie: always a brawl).

I am in the same boat.......  Almost 5K Random matches and, in the end, the Radar and Planes just made the match too "arcade-ish" for me.....  Yes, this is an arcade shooter smell bent on "getting younger and simpler", I get that........but, at what cost?   There are solutions, simple solutions, to Radar and Planes and soon Subs;.........just, our host simply ignores seriously good ideas (didn't originate here syndrome I bet....)  I'll stick with PVE until the clan, what's left of us, moves on.