You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
_Sang

Jean Bart Armor LOL!!!???

27 comments in this topic

[BS]
[BS]
Alpha Tester
534 posts
5,033 battles

Now I see what everyone is talking about. First time I squared up with this thing with another BB. This thing has Super Fantasy Armor like no other. What the *#$#@@#@# in Gods name am I supposed to do with this Jean [edited], ram the dang thing???!! Like Really no attack and I took three shots at this thing. Every other ship at that range with Missouri gets 5k at the least no matter where I aim. Now I see. Unless this guy is running some kind of armor hack. Or give me this ship so I can inspect what kind of Armor layout this OP French Fry is running man. Cheese and rice!!!.....

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/583072482

• Funny 1
  • Boring 6

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles

Actually, Jean Bart is considered somewhat squishy compared to other T9 BBs.

If you're fighting one bow in, aim just above his nose to try and knock out his turrets.  They can be targeted rather easily and if you can disable one of the guns, it becomes a pretty neutered beast.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,580 posts
11,084 battles
2 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

If you're fighting one bow in, aim just above his nose to try and knock out his turrets.  They can be targeted rather easily and if you can disable one of the guns, it becomes a pretty neutered beast.

^This

Jean Bart actually has the same armor scheme and only a few thousand more HP than her sister Richelieu, a tier lower. It’s nothing special, and in fact she’s covered in 32mm plating, so she eats HE spam as well as AP pens if not angled well. On the other hand, she has all her guns on her bow and MBRB, so bow-in in a secure position she can be a pain in the :etc_swear: to deal with.

13 minutes ago, _Sang said:

Or give me this ship so I can inspect what kind of Armor layout this OP French Fry is running man. Cheese and rice!!!....

I have installed the “All ships in tree” mod from the official ModStation. I can inspect the armor layout of any ship in the game, including WIP test ships and ships only available in the Armory.

[BS]
[BS]
Alpha Tester
534 posts
5,033 battles

The Only ship I seen get attack off this thing at close range was a Venzia the next game i was in. He did 15k damage each shot. Crazy man

Beta Testers
3,290 posts
26,945 battles
34 minutes ago, _Sang said:

Now I see what everyone is talking about. First time I squared up with this thing with another BB. This thing has Super Fantasy Armor like no other. What the *#$#@@#@# in Gods name am I supposed to do with this Jean Fart, ram the dang thing???!! Like Really no attack and I took three shots at this thing. Every other ship at that range with Missouri gets 5k at the least no matter where I aim. Now I see. Unless this guy is running some kind of armor hack. Or give me this ship so I can inspect what kind of Armor layout this OP French Fry is running man. Cheese and rice!!!.....

What WG wants you to do , is buy Russian battleship in order to sink French battleships...…………...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[KAG]
Members
1,351 posts
12,304 battles

Aim for the super structure and turrets.  Use HE, don’t square up, stay at range, and keep moving, but don’t show broadside.  JB’s dispersion is trollish, and one salvo you land 5 shells at range, the other they’ll miss you completely.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,881 posts
25,782 battles

Jean Bart's protection is pretty soft.  Also OP, at brawling / knife fighting ranges as another BB fighting a 380mm armed FR BB, aim for the turrets with Battleship AP shells.  They're very easy to land lots of hits against at those ranges, and very easy to KO / Destroy.

36 minutes ago, Tachnechdorus said:

What WG wants you to do , is buy Russian battleship in order to sink French battleships...…………...

If you need a specific kind of Battleship to destroy a French one, you never knew what you were doing to begin with.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,494 posts
22,903 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

Had that happen to me last month by a Moskva. 

He bow tanked me and kept hitting my turrets until they were all permanently dead.

He then flanked me and game over....

[GOB]
Members
2,709 posts

By these  posts one would wonder why such a fragile ship that can be disarmed so easily would have to be removed from the game eh?

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,922 posts

I bought my way to a tier9 JB...  and i picked up the Lenin yesterday as a rental... i am really enjoying the front gunned ships...  I will be spending freexp on the Nelson too..   I obviously am a new player, but I find these ships to be pretty easy to play, perhaps even lazy...  especially for a new player.  OK I am not going to be top of the team chart, but they are fun.

point bow at ship... FIRE!! ok toss in some angle from time to time and be sure you can't be crossfired.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,881 posts
25,782 battles
20 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Had that happen to me last month by a Moskva. 

He bow tanked me and kept hitting my turrets until they were all permanently dead.

He then flanked me and game over....

I good spot to aim for on Richelieu, Alsace, Jean Bart, is right between the two turrets if viewing their front.  Aim right below the 2nd turret, right above the first turret, and fire your BB AP.  You'll hit the turret faces of either turret causing module disables / destruction, or you hit the barbette of the 2nd turret.  The 2nd turret is VERY easy to KO this way, and once you destroyed that 2nd turret, you've wiped out a significant portion of that FR BB's firepower.  If it's a 2 turret Richelieu / Jean Bart, that's 50% of their firepower, gone.  Then work on the last turret.

I ran into this problem back when the FR BB Line was doing its pre-release event in late 2017.  I scored Richelieu.  I remember playing Islands of Ice and was brawling a Missouri player that almost destroyed both my turrets.  If it wasn't for my teammates behind me, he'd have won.  I survived with only 1 turret and that thing I knew was about ready to get destroyed.  Anyways, the subject came up again in the forums in 2018 and I had a post about what I found, why I felt it was that way.  There's so much area to hit on the turrets, and the barbette for the 2nd turret is very tall and exposed.

This issue shows up less with Gascogne and Republique.  Republique barbettes and turret faces are thick.  Gascogne has the exact same turrets as Richelieu, Alsace, Jean Bart, but she's less prone to main battery wipeouts because her two turrets aren't piled together and do not sit on tall, exposed barbettes.  Both BBs' turrets are arranged like Graf Spee.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,790 posts
4,771 battles
1 hour ago, _Sang said:

Now I see what everyone is talking about. First time I squared up with this thing with another BB. This thing has Super Fantasy Armor like no other. What the *#$#@@#@# in Gods name am I supposed to do with this Jean [edited], ram the dang thing???!!

How long ago did you come from WoT?  Did you "square up" in your tankie?  No!  If you did you got a shell through the side.

The trick with JB is the same trick with every other BB:  Don't Square Up !  Point Nose At Bad Ship !

With JB you don't lose half or 1/3 of your guns when you do that.  That's one of the things that make her so potent.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,881 posts
25,782 battles

You should have seen the eyes of Yamato owners light up when they realized their 460mm guns Overmatch all the 32mm sections found covering FR BBs.

Bow.

Stern.

Deck Armor.

Whatever.

Overmatch City.

Members
2,445 posts
5,464 battles

I hate the JB. 32mm all over makes it a very squishy boat. I would gladly sell it if i could

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,881 posts
25,782 battles
32 minutes ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

I don't know the details but the armor changes in the IFHE rework nerfed guns 15" and less against BBs.

The OP was having problems with Missouri's 406mm guns against a Jean Bart in a brawling situation.  With AP, Missouri would make quick work with that and castrate a Jean Bart, and leave its family jewels floating as fish food.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
32,322 posts
10,021 battles
4 hours ago, _Sang said:

Or give me this ship so I can inspect what kind of Armor layout this OP French Fry is running man.

If you download Modstation, and enable the Tech Tree mod, all ships, even those not yet released, can be viewed.

[BS]
[BS]
Alpha Tester
534 posts
5,033 battles
41 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The OP was having problems with Missouri's 406mm guns against a Jean Bart in a brawling situation.  With AP, Missouri would make quick work with that and castrate a Jean Bart, and leave its family jewels floating as fish food.

You would think so... So what I am hearing is I have to use HE in a Missouri at close range and fire at JB Guns. I was trying to set up a training room with me in a Missouri against a Jean Bart but it won let me... I would probably have better games if every shell I launched didn't bounce lol

Edited by _Sang

[USN]
Members
1,515 posts
20,450 battles
4 hours ago, _Sang said:

Now I see what everyone is talking about. First time I squared up with this thing with another BB. This thing has Super Fantasy Armor like no other. What the *#$#@@#@# in Gods name am I supposed to do with this Jean [edited], ram the dang thing???!! Like Really no attack and I took three shots at this thing. Every other ship at that range with Missouri gets 5k at the least no matter where I aim. Now I see. Unless this guy is running some kind of armor hack. Or give me this ship so I can inspect what kind of Armor layout this OP French Fry is running man. Cheese and rice!!!.....

32mm armor everywhere, so HE spammers and Yamatos love you.

Turtleback that doesn't really work closer than 8km

turrets that can easily be destroyed.

lowest potential health of any T9 BB

yeah, its a generally poor armor scheme.

[BS]
[BS]
Alpha Tester
534 posts
5,033 battles
1 minute ago, tfcas119 said:

32mm armor everywhere, so HE spammers and Yamatos love you.

Turtleback that doesn't really work closer than 8km

turrets that can easily be destroyed.

lowest potential health of any T9 BB

yeah, its a generally poor armor scheme.

Ok ill aim for the turrets thanks

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,881 posts
25,782 battles
27 minutes ago, _Sang said:

You would think so... So what I am hearing is I have to use HE in a Missouri at close range and fire at JB Guns. I was trying to set up a training room with me in a Missouri against a Jean Bart but it won let me... I would probably have better games if every shell I launched didn't bounce lol

No, use AP.  It'll crush those turrets.

If you use Missouri's 406mm HE shells, it's not enough HE Pen to blast through the turret faces.

406mm / 6 = 67.6 or 68mm of armor needed to defeat this HE shell.

The turret faces of those French Quad 380mm turrets are 400mm+.  You'll never HE Pen those turrets.

Use AP, blast those turrets with repeated salvos.

Note in my 2nd post of this thread, while playing Richelieu, which is configured the same as Jean Bart, a Missouri did EXACTLY what I said to my Richelieu and caused all kinds of problems.  It'll work.  It may take extra salvos, but it will work if you aim right in the middle of the two turrets.

[BS]
[BS]
Alpha Tester
534 posts
5,033 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

No, use AP.  It'll crush those turrets.

If you use Missouri's 406mm HE shells, it's not enough HE Pen to blast through the turret faces.

406mm / 6 = 67.6 or 68mm of armor needed to defeat this HE shell.

The turret faces of those French Quad 380mm turrets are 400mm+.  You'll never HE Pen those turrets.

Use AP, blast those turrets with repeated salvos.

Note in my 2nd post of this thread, while playing Richelieu, which is configured the same as Jean Bart, a Missouri did EXACTLY what I said to my Richelieu and caused all kinds of problems.  It'll work.  It may take extra salvos, but it will work if you aim right in the middle of the two turrets.

At this point I am thinking about running a armor hack. So when someone hits me with 3 full battleship shell volleys and gets 0 attack on me, I’ll just say you were angled wrong bro. Or my French armor plating was too much for your 16”  US BB shells... lol 😂 

Edited by _Sang

[BS]
[BS]
Alpha Tester
534 posts
5,033 battles

If someone can find me a video on where to aim when they nose in on you. BB vrs BB that would be cool. All I am seeing is a bunch of aiming on broadside water line ships

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,494 posts
22,903 battles
5 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I good spot to aim for on Richelieu, Alsace, Jean Bart, is right between the two turrets if viewing their front.  Aim right below the 2nd turret, right above the first turret, and fire your BB AP.  You'll hit the turret faces of either turret causing module disables / destruction, or you hit the barbette of the 2nd turret.  The 2nd turret is VERY easy to KO this way, and once you destroyed that 2nd turret, you've wiped out a significant portion of that FR BB's firepower.  If it's a 2 turret Richelieu / Jean Bart, that's 50% of their firepower, gone.  Then work on the last turret.

I ran into this problem back when the FR BB Line was doing its pre-release event in late 2017.  I scored Richelieu.  I remember playing Islands of Ice and was brawling a Missouri player that almost destroyed both my turrets.  If it wasn't for my teammates behind me, he'd have won.  I survived with only 1 turret and that thing I knew was about ready to get destroyed.  Anyways, the subject came up again in the forums in 2018 and I had a post about what I found, why I felt it was that way.  There's so much area to hit on the turrets, and the barbette for the 2nd turret is very tall and exposed.

This issue shows up less with Gascogne and Republique.  Republique barbettes and turret faces are thick.  Gascogne has the exact same turrets as Richelieu, Alsace, Jean Bart, but she's less prone to main battery wipeouts because her two turrets aren't piled together and do not sit on tall, exposed barbettes.  Both BBs' turrets are arranged like Graf Spee.

You are forced to run MAM1 and PM, otherwise they die faster.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,881 posts
25,782 battles

If your'e fighting a High Tier BB, they all have 32mm bow armor.  The only gun that fires AP to blast right through that is Yamato-class with 460mm AP shells.  Other ships will bounce, even 457mm AP will get bounced on the 32mm bow of a High Tier (VIII-X) Battleship.

Overmatch is why.

This is an old iChase video, old enough that Montana represented there is not the same ship anymore.  But the mechanics of Overmatch are still the same.

So, your BB is fighting a High Tier BB and you don't have the advantage of 460mm AP to Overmatch the 32mm bow?

- You can switch to HE on your next salvo.

Or

- Fire your AP into the turrets.

Just a small example.

• Cool 1