You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Loving the Mainz!

24 comments in this topic

[DRNX]
[DRNX]
Members
456 posts
11,138 battles

Not the easiest ship to play but am really enjoying her atm. If you've bought her are you enjoying her? TIA

• Cool 2

[USCC2]
Members
6,060 posts

Was so interested in her, but with all the premium 152mm ships nerfed by the IFHE 'Global Nerf' I just can't quite look at purchasing as confidently as I used to.

(Not that I mind targeting certain premiums for changing - I could make sense of that, but the arbitrary 'Global' changes just seem to be so poorly thought out). BTW I know IFHE isn't required on the Mainz; I'm talking general Global changes/nerfs and my confidence in WG.

I do hope you enjoy your Mainz though; as I hope anyone does a purchase. :Smile_honoring:

Edited by _WaveRider_
  • Cool 1

[5D2]
[5D2]
Members
384 posts
8,374 battles
1 hour ago, _WaveRider_ said:

Was so interested in her, but with all the premium 152mm ships nerfed by the IFHE 'Global Nerf' I just can't quite look at purchasing as confidently as I used to.

(Not that I mind targeting certain premiums for changing - I could make sense of that, but the arbitrary 'Global' changes just seem to be so poorly thought out). BTW I know IFHE isn't required on the Mainz; I'm talking general Global changes/nerfs and my confidence in WG.

I do hope you enjoy your Mainz though; as I hope anyone does a purchase. :Smile_honoring:

Nvm

Edited by gmrbull

[BOTO]
Members
1,262 posts
15,441 battles
2 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Not the easiest ship to play but am really enjoying her atm. If you've bought her are you enjoying her? TIA

I'm not very impressed with her so far.  If you want a Tier 8 Premium CL, I'd recommend Bayard or Irian.  If you want a Tier 8 Premium KM cruiser, I'd recommend Prinz Eugen.  

Maybe I just need to play her more but as of now she's fairly mediocre as far as I'm concerned.

• Cool 3

[DOG]
Members
1,109 posts
11,801 battles

From the stats, it looks like it would play like a slightly less fragile Nurnberg.  Is that what it feels like?  Because I like the Nurnberg, but that ship gets tier VI matchmaking.

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,126 posts
7,992 battles

I think the Mainz is fantastic.  It's the first premium I've actually be really exited about in a long time.  

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[ANKER]
[ANKER]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
574 posts
12,883 battles

She has almost as much hit points as the Roon does. She moves like a big girl at slower speeds but fires like a light cruiser with a 17.5km and she has 4x4 torps with 6 km range. 

I have played 2 games in her and both were losses but I had a Kracken in the 2nd game in a tier 10 match. 

My opinion is she is the funniest premium for the Germans in a while. Or at least until the Agir comes out but I have been wanting the Seigfreid for the longest.

• Cool 1

[BOTO]
Members
1,262 posts
15,441 battles
2 hours ago, zubalkabir said:

From the stats, it looks like it would play like a slightly less fragile Nurnberg.  Is that what it feels like?  Because I like the Nurnberg, but that ship gets tier VI matchmaking.

From my experience so far it eats pens like Mogami.  It just constantly soaks up damage.  The real downside is the long range and high velocity of the guns, this would lead to you playing at range and kiting, but you are more vulnerable at range and will eat citadels left and right.  At this time as far as premium Tier 8 cruisers go I'd have to recommend Bayard, Irian, or even Prinz Eugen.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's a bad ship, I just think there are better options and I find her a bit disappointing since it's a premium ship.

[GRAVE]
Members
1,269 posts
18,799 battles
6 hours ago, _WaveRider_ said:

Mainz has quarter pen HE, so IFHE isn't required for her HE to damage BBs.

[USCC2]
Members
6,060 posts
17 minutes ago, tfcas119 said:

Mainz has quarter pen HE, so IFHE isn't required for her HE to damage BBs.

I don't think you read my entire post, as I already stated:

BTW I know IFHE isn't required on the Mainz; I'm talking general Global changes/nerfs and my confidence in WG.

As stated, I was excited about Mainz, but am distrustful about the way that WG carry out their 'Global' changes - as stated, look at all those 152mm ships in the Premium shop that have been nerfed with the Global change. Why should I have any confidence in any Premium I buy? :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[WARGS]
Members
59 posts
8,036 battles

The Mainz is a ok ship as long as you have some basic knowledge of positioning and map reading skills you can do ok with her. But for yoloers this is not the ship for you

It has really no defense , neither the speed of the Bayard or the Heals of the other tier 8 premiums. You cannot afford to trade HP for damage.

That being said once you get the Mainz in a good position those guns are wonderful!

• Cool 1

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
3 hours ago, yashma said:

I think the Mainz is fantastic.  It's the first premium I've actually be really exited about in a long time.  

If it was not for the beer bug I would get her.

It looks loke a Nuremburg at t8. On the whole German crusier line does not have a bad ship.

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,179 posts
16,906 battles
3 hours ago, Condor_Legion said:

My opinion is she is the funniest premium for the Germans in a while. 

Funniest? Does he amuse you?

Jimmy conway GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

This was the first thing I thought of; such a great movie.

I assume you were attempting to convey that you are thoroughly enjoying your purchase and applaud War Gaming for it's design. 

[CAST]
Members
4,996 posts
3,513 battles

The ship looks really good in terms of raw firepower. Given she does not need IFHE, she's currently the best firestarter at her tier, can consistently HE pen American BBs, and her AP dpm, when she gets to use it, is monstrous even by Tier X standards. So it makes sense that she's a bit squishier than the norm.

But the concealment bothers me. 12km full build for a slow light cruiser is rough. I don't think it should be as low as Cleveland's or Edinburgh's, mind you, but I think 10.5 to 11km would have been fine.

[THREE]
Members
2,402 posts
13,197 battles
10 hours ago, Condor_Legion said:

She has almost as much hit points as the Roon does. She moves like a big girl at slower speeds but fires like a light cruiser with a 17.5km range. Her rudder is better than Prince or Hipper and she has 4x4 torps with 6 km range. 

I have played 2 games in her and both were losses but I had a Kracken in the 2nd game in a tier 10 match. 

My opinion is she is the funniest premium for the Germans in a while. Or at least until the Agir comes out but I have been wanting the Seigfreid for the longest.

Hey

Your wrong about her rudder shift.  She has a much slower rudder than Hipper or Prinz Eugen unless you go double Rudder shift which then you lose concealment.  With Steering gears 1 and taking concealment, your rudder shift is worse than both her sisters.  Seems like she should have gotten the armor (27mm) of the other two also since they copied the hull of her sister too.  My biggest complaint with Mainz however is the slower rudder shift, once would think she should have at least been comparable to her sister boat, if not the same.  Concealment is also lacking slightly and needs to be about 1-1.5km less than it is, you have gun range but the ballistics lie as to damage they deal.   It's a decent boat but not a great boat, it can be rough in a T10 game since the guns can't pen much (HE 38mm) and your reliant on fires to do damage which is a hit and miss at best at T10 with only a 10% fire chance with DE.  She is very good when top tier but not very good when up tiered and good luck using 6km torps on much.  To bad she didn't get 8km torps of the Graf Spee, then she could have been even more fun.

Pete

Edited by sasquatch_research
  • Cool 1

[--K--]
[--K--]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,382 posts
9,771 battles
11 hours ago, yashma said:

I quickly glanced her over but didn't notice anything that looked mega strong or interesting.  Didn't look bad either, but what did you personally find to be fantastic about her?  

[KSC]
5,126 posts
7,992 battles
47 minutes ago, CaliburxZero said:

I quickly glanced her over but didn't notice anything that looked mega strong or interesting.  Didn't look bad either, but what did you personally find to be fantastic about her?  

The guns.  38mm base pen coupled with great DPM and fire starting.  The Mainz would have been a strong cruiser before....but after the IFHE rework nerfed every other CL, the Mainz became even stronger compared to the competition, and IMO, has the best guns of any Tier 8 cruiser.  The ship itself is fun, but part of it is also that it's great to get a CL that ignores the IFHE nerf.  

Members
4,458 posts
19,466 battles

She;s a tier 8 Nurnberg. While that's not bad, WG falsely advertised what Mainz was supposed to be. That she combined the rapid-fire battery of light cruisers with the survivability of heavy Cruisers. THAT was the primary attraction to me and it's not so.

• Cool 1

[BOTO]
Members
1,262 posts
15,441 battles
1 hour ago, yashma said:

The guns.  38mm base pen coupled with great DPM and fire starting.  The Mainz would have been a strong cruiser before....but after the IFHE rework nerfed every other CL, the Mainz became even stronger compared to the competition, and IMO, has the best guns of any Tier 8 cruiser.  The ship itself is fun, but part of it is also that it's great to get a CL that ignores the IFHE nerf.  

Since I haven't seen anybody else mention it, I'll have to note that another thing I don't like about her is her turret firing arcs, particularly when kiting away.  You have to give a LOT of broadside to bring all guns to bear which is not a good thing to do.

Yes, the guns are good, but they're not as great as you think because German HE is so mediocre.  Given that and the fairly long list of negatives I just think she's a mehbote (terminology stolen from @LittleWhiteMouse).  There's better premium cruisers at Tier 8.  I'm not saying don't buy it, quite a few people would probably like her.

[BOTO]
Members
1,262 posts
15,441 battles
17 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

She;s a tier 8 Nurnberg. While that's not bad, WG falsely advertised what Mainz was supposed to be. That she combined the rapid-fire battery of light cruisers with the survivability of heavy Cruisers. THAT was the primary attraction to me and it's not so.

In the second half of the 1930s, a series of the Admiral Hipper-class heavy cruisers were being built for the German navy. It was decided to build two ships, with their designs being as similar as possible to the third ship in the series—Prinz Eugen. The 150 mm guns chosen for their main batteries were the same as those used for the Königsberg- and Leipzig-class light cruisers. The resulting warships were to be considered as light cruisers, despite them having the water displacement and armor characteristics of heavy cruisers. It was the caliber of their guns that played a decisive role in the classification of the ships from the perspective of the existing naval treaties. In 1937, the German government interfered. It was still planned to build two cruisers under the Admiral Hipper design, but now they would be heavy cruisers. However, their construction as heavy cruisers was never completed.

The design has been implemented in World of Warships as cruiser Mainz. As with other light cruisers of the Kriegsmarine, the ship was named after a German town, rather than after a renowned historical personality as her heavy cousins were named.

When you read this you get the impression that you're getting a Hipper hull (with Hipper's protection), yet you end up with CL protection on the bow and stern with only *slightly* better concealment (a meager 0.4km).  I think you should get the same armor as Hipper OR get a concealment buff.

• Cool 1

[--K--]
[--K--]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,382 posts
9,771 battles
8 hours ago, yashma said:

The IFHE changes admittedly still escape me at a moment's thought, despite me playing alot of cruisers mainly these days.  That's a good point.  Damn you, now I kinda wanna buy one.

That being said, I'm still very much so in love with my Bayard as I continue to improve my play with her.

[KSC]
5,126 posts
7,992 battles
6 hours ago, ReddNekk said:

Then again...the real world distinction between a CA and a CL is defined entirely by the guns...outside of WoWS there is no such thing as "heavy cruiser survivability", and in WoWS the only difference between the two is plating thickness.  At Tier 8 just about all cruisers are incredibly squishy, CA or otherwise.  While the Mainz not getting 27mm plating can be a huge deal when fighting 15 inch armed BBs....it makes no difference when fighting anything with guns other than 15 inch.  So half the time there really isn't much difference in survivability between a Mainz and a Hipper anyway.  

6 hours ago, Aaron_S_Merrill said:

Since I haven't seen anybody else mention it, I'll have to note that another thing I don't like about her is her turret firing arcs, particularly when kiting away.  You have to give a LOT of broadside to bring all guns to bear which is not a good thing to do.

Aye....it's the one thing that really keeps the ship in check and requires extra care and attention to play around.  I don't think it's a game breaker and it can be played around, but it does make it far more challenging to get all guns on target if you're ever being fired at by multiple enemies.

• Boring 1

[SIDE]
Members
4,695 posts

More HE spam YAY!

That's said, I really like Nurnburger because of those guns and since they are also on Mainzszs I look forward to catching it on a sale sometime in the future.

Edited by thebigblue