You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
S7CentNickel

Mogami which guns do you prefer?

19 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
331 posts

Just unlocked the B Hull & was wondering which guns do you prefer, the 152's or the 203's?  I know the 152's got nerfed with the IFHE and are still kind of workable, but are the 203's worth it?  I'm in a quandary so your opinion would be appreciated.

[Y0L0W]
Members
507 posts
16,723 battles

155 with IFHE is the best choice. Without IFHE you’ll get more fires but less raw damage. 203 will give you lower total damage per min but more consistent. 

[RLGN]
Members
14,303 posts
25,241 battles

If you have an Atago/Takao, just keep the 152s.

But that’s just me, of course.

[RANGR]
Members
311 posts
3,990 battles

Well if youre using a captain while grinding the tree, go with 203's, best to keep your captain progressing to Zao's build in the end.

Members
1,225 posts
5,930 battles

155 if you are willing to dedicate a captain. 203 otherwise.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,994 posts
20,694 battles

15 barrels of pain.

IFHE & DE....

'Nuff said.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,736 posts

I prefer the 203mm, personally.   I keep the 155mm around and swap then in every once in a while, and I don't see the big deal.  

[DRAH]
Members
370 posts
9,122 battles

203s as I use the same captain all the way up the tree

Members
4,359 posts
11,269 battles

Unless you don’t have the commander xp to respec for ifhe and DE, definitely the 155s. They were strong before the ifhe changes, and they’re even stronger now since they pen 38mm with ifhe (aka you now pen all high tier usn deck plating on the battleships and cruisers). Plus they’re a nice change of pace for the line. Keep in mind though, that they don’t get the improved dispersion like the 203s do. 

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,105 posts
19,206 battles

155s all day!

[K0]
Members
188 posts
4,348 battles

Just going through the odyssey of trying out my new Mogami myself. Thanks for the tips. Gonna try three different configurations. Expect to stay on 155mm  IFHE DE. Next question is Double rudder or Full Concealment. Oh boy what a fun ship this one is!

[K0]
Members
1,755 posts
8,155 battles

If you're playing 155 Mogami, you gotta commit to it. Have a separate dedicated captain for IFHE and take double rudder. The nature of the 155s mean that either you will be spamming from cover so concealment doesn't matter, or you will be kiting away in the open while constantly lighting yourself up and your concealment still doesn't matter.

Members
1,225 posts
5,930 battles

Concealment. Always concealment. There are very few ships that want to even consider not taking it and this isn't one of them.

Members
383 posts
4,137 battles

There are better ships to drive at tier 8 if you want DPM 155s.

IJN aren't optimal for non-stop shooting. 203s allow you to fire, turn and keep kiting while minimizing your exposure. 203s are better for alpha and consistency per volley. Obviously getting more shots down range means each volley doesn't need to do as much, but the Mogami isn't really designed to be 100% exposed and shooting all the time, DPM is only good if your ship can sustain itself while shooting. IJN doesn't have smoke, crazy range, or gun angles to stay effective non-stop without getting into questionable fire angles. IJN does have good camo, and gun performance making it easy to make well executed and devastating shots but loses out when it comes to keeping all guns on target without giving itself away.

Raw DPM isn't as important as shot selection, execution and torp play. A well placed volley of HE from the Mogami is better then all other cruisers at the tier, due to the HE consistency, fire damage, and gun dynamics. Hell you can citadel with HE vs some targets and see larger damage counts from HE then you would from AP rounds from other cruisers in some situations. (this is just what I've seen from driving USN, RN, KM and RU cruisers up to tier 8) 

Even if you wanted to spec your captain just for 152 (which you really need to), there are better ships to drive for a HE DPM oriented ship. The Cleveland and Kutuzov are better gun platforms, where the Cleveland provides better performance at mid/close ranges and the Kutuzov better performance at mid/longer ranges then the Mogami with 152s. The RN are in a world of their own with their gun performance and ability to leverage smoke. The Mogami isn't the best fire platform when compared to the other cruisers at the tier, mainly due to fire angles, gun setup and turret traverse. Being a pure fire platform also takes away most of the other advantages that make the Mogami stand out, namely camo, and torps since neither can really be leveraged if your always shooting. 

If you just have the Mogami and like the pew pew, it will do fine but I do think there are better choices.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,063 posts
23,845 battles

The 155s are good on Mogami post-IFHE / Armor changes.

With DE + IFHE, her Fire Chances are 7% with 38mm HE Pen.  This lets Mogami HE Pen all High Tier USN BB deck armor, and with us being in NA server, USN BBs are wildly popular:  North Carolina, Massachusetts / Mass-B, Alabama, Iowa, Missouri, Georgia, Montana, Ohio.

North Carolina is the only one in that selection with 37mm deck armor, the rest are 38mm.

In contrast, Cleveland with her 152mm guns using both IFHE + DE:  8% Fire Chance and 37mm HE Pen.

Cleveland can only HE Pen NC's deck armor with that build, the rest she'll non-pen.  Even Worcester in Tier X deals with that issue.

Another + for Mogami-155?  She's unique in IJN Cruisers.  She is the only IJN CL past Tier V if you count the very troubled Premium Yahagi.  But for tech tree IJN CLs, the only other, highest tier outside of Mogami is Tier IV Kuma.  Historically the IJN never put the time nor resources into really empowering their CLs like other navies such as the US Navy.  Even Mogami-class didn't keep their 155mm guns.  They were pulled off and they received 203mm guns instead.  The IJN loved Heavy Cruisers.

[O_O]
Members
6,449 posts
15,349 battles

155 Mogami for me.

I don't understand a concealment build.  That's great for initial encounter, but 155's are meant to have the barrels glowing from constant firing.  As soon as you shoot, your concealment build is pointless.  Make Mogami agile so you can spam the guns and juke constantly to avoid incoming long range fire.

Members
6,621 posts
20,650 battles

Some people have said this ship is the best post IFHE changes. It feels gimped to me. I wish there was data on how this ship is performing now compared to before the changes. Maybe there is.

I would argue that this ship probably can be played either way now. Before the changes It was an IFHE ship and a fire starter. Don't know now. 

Take concealment. The Mogami is made of paper and you need any and every defense mechanism you can find and use to protect yourself.

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,125 posts
7,989 battles

I think people are overvaluing the necessity of taking IFHE on the 155s.  Taking IFHE is a direct nerf to its ability to fight most DDs and cruisers it can see, as well as Tier 6,7 BBs.....while only providing a trade off against BBs (and even then it still can't pen the deck armor of half the Tier 9-10 BBs).  I'm not saying you shouldn't take IFHE...but it's defiantly something to think more deeply about...and non-IFHE 155s are stronger than they were before.  

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,125 posts
7,989 battles
25 minutes ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

Some people have said this ship is the best post IFHE changes. It feels gimped to me.

Oh it's definitely gimped.  The ability to pen the deck armor on Tier 8-10 USN BBs and a select few cruisers does not compensate for performing worse against almost every other ship in the game (compared to running IFHE pre-rework).  

Non-IFHE 155 builds are more viable than before....but I still wouldn't call it stronger than pre-rework IFHE builds.  I think the IFHE changes are solidly a net nerf to the Mogami 155....and really every other non-German CL in the game.  

*edit

Saying the IFHE rework buffed the Mogami is like saying running IFHE on the Des Moines pre-rework is a good idea

Edited by yashma