You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Heiligenmoschel

Best Commander Skills

18 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Members
7,046 posts
5,529 battles

Concealment Expert for DD, you are limp without it.  Priority Target for Cruisers.

Members
365 posts
4,232 battles

The tier really doesnt matter for command builds that are good. The best captain skill for any ship is Concealment Expert, also Priority Target, Adrenaline Rush, Last Stand and Survivalbility Expert (for DDs), and Super Intendent.

[DRIUS]
Members
62 posts
1,688 battles
3 minutes ago, Raven2303 said:

The tier really doesnt matter for command builds that are good. The best captain skill for any ship is Concealment Expert, also Priority Target, Adrenaline Rush, Last Stand and Survivalbility Expert (for DDs), and Super Intendent.

TY

Members
365 posts
4,232 battles
1 minute ago, Heiligenmoschel said:

TY

The rest of your points should be spent on less important skills, that can be based on the ship, I reccomend watching youtubers for builds but I would say dont go straight to Flamuu for some builds, look at less popular channels, they will give you the better builds that are all around good.

Members
676 posts
5,358 battles
12 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Concealment Expert for DD, you are limp without it.  Priority Target for Cruisers.

i would say last stand > concealment or any other skill when it comes to DDs, i am not much of a dd player so i build my first DDs with adrenaline rush over last stand and god knows i regret it becouse every single battle the first shot destroys the engine or rudder, i fix it and the second hit breaks it again turning you into a sitting duck

its infuriating how easy those thigns break on a DD.

Edited by pepe_trueno

Members
7,122 posts
22,064 battles

2 points for last stand.....Ultimate mandatory.

4 points for concealment.... in most cases. Some DD's are pure gunboats and don't need it. 

Because of the frgeile nature of dd's 3 points in Survivability gets better the higher tier you go.

From there you have a bunch of choices, vigilance to protect yourself for torps, torp reload  and on and on. 

Last stand is the one skill you must have on a DD.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,580 posts
11,084 battles
40 minutes ago, Heiligenmoschel said:

What are the best Commander Skills to have for either a DD or Cruiser captain (specifically mid-tier ships)?

Most ships only really need a 10-point captain to be effective at mid-tiers - the rest is just gravy and can be overcome with skill relatively easily. The best skills to take will obviously vary depending on the ship, but some general builds that work very well as a starting point for most ships are:

DD: Priority Target (or Preventative Maintenance, If you prefer), Last Stand, Survivability Expert, Concealment Expert.

BB: Priority Target, Expert Marksman, Superintendent, Fire Prevention. EM is usually the better choice at low-to-mid tier, but Adrenaline Rush is also an option. I usually like to grab both anyways unless my turret traverse is under 40s/180 degrees. Concealment Expert is also a strong choice but I usually grab FP first.

CL: Priority Target, Adrenaline Rush, Demoltion Expert, Concealment Expert or IFHE. I used to recommend IFHE first for any ship with 152mm guns (that’s not British), but the value you get from IFHE is now more dependent on your tier and I’m still tweaking my own builds. I would recommend getting CE first, since you know you will want it, and decide for yourself if IFHE is worth 4 points later, particularly at tier VII. British CLs should grab Superintendent instead of DE, and German CLs should avoid IFHE entirely.

CA: Priority Target, Adrenaline Rush or Expert Marksman (IJN CAs, for example, benefit more from EM than AR IMO as the first 2 point skill), Demolition Expert, Concealment Expert. Grab Superintendent instead of DE for Italian CAs.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 1

[DRIUS]
Members
62 posts
1,688 battles

One other question (completely off topic but just came to mind) is it better to use HE against certain targets or AP for all due to higher damage?

Members
365 posts
4,232 battles
3 minutes ago, Heiligenmoschel said:

One other question (completely off topic but just came to mind) is it better to use HE against certain targets or AP for all due to higher damage?

That question is very based on the ship you are playing, different ships have different shell damage values, the damage you do also depends on where you shoot the ship and what angle it is at.

[DRIUS]
Members
62 posts
1,688 battles
4 minutes ago, Raven2303 said:

That question is very based on the ship you are playing, different ships have different shell damage values, the damage you do also depends on where you shoot the ship and what angle it is at.

Guess that's why I joined the Air Force. LOL

Members
365 posts
4,232 battles
2 minutes ago, Heiligenmoschel said:

Guess that's why I joined the Air Force. LOL

So what ship are you using so far?

[SALVO]
Members
7,046 posts
5,529 battles
1 hour ago, pepe_trueno said:

i would say last stand > concealment or any other skill when it comes to DDs, i am not much of a dd player so i build my first DDs with adrenaline rush over last stand and god knows i regret it becouse every single battle the first shot destroys the engine or rudder, i fix it and the second hit breaks it again turning you into a sitting duck

its infuriating how easy those thigns break on a DD.

oh yes, last stand is a must for first skill, didn't mention it because it is a given, but until you get CE you are "naked"

• Cool 1

[DRIUS]
Members
62 posts
1,688 battles
Just now, Raven2303 said:

So what ship are you using so far?

I've been switching between German DD (T-22) and German Cruiser (Koenigsberg & Nuremburg)

[DRIUS]
Members
62 posts
1,688 battles
1 minute ago, ArIskandir said:

oh yes, last stand is a must for first skill, didn't mention it because it is a given, but until you get CE you are "naked"

Working on it. Best Captain I have so far is only Lvl 9. 1 more point and I can get CE.

Members
365 posts
4,232 battles
Just now, Heiligenmoschel said:

I've been switching between German DD (T-22) and German Cruiser (Koenigsberg & Nuremburg)

Ah, german DDs have good AP, if you catch a Cruiser (preferably light cruiser) broadside, hit em with that AP and you should land a few citadels, but use primarily HE on everything else.. Same with Kongisburg and Nuremburg, although they're HE should be what you use primarily.

[SYN]
Members
1,420 posts
10,997 battles
1 hour ago, Heiligenmoschel said:

What are the best Commander Skills to have for either a DD or Cruiser captain (specifically mid-tier ships)?

My mid tier DDs all have Priority Target, Last Stand, Torpedo armament (IJN) or Basic Fire Training (USN, KM, PA) and Concealment Expert. I will burn EXCP to get a commander to 10 points if I don't have a 10 point captain.

If the commander is going to be on a Tier 8 or up, I will take Survivability Expert before torpedo armament/BFT. 

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,922 posts

I am pretty new as well..

I have learned alot from watching ichase's video series on how to get good.. he covers alot of topics including recommended captain skills, ammo types, aiming, armor angling you name it. It's up to 13 videos now, but they aren't very long and cover alot, but pretty simple to understand.

Link: