You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sweetsie

Why is the Standard Game Mode So Hard for So Many Players?

37 comments in this topic

Members
6,621 posts
20,628 battles

It boggles my mind that so many players game after game literally do the worst thing possible in this game mode. They get as far from both bases as possible, racing to the 1 and 10 lines....And push into an enemy stronghold. Even in games with a CV or two.

Every game I type.... play defense let them over extend and make mistakes... I know no one reads chat but I try, here is a tier ten game I just finished, In chat, you can see me telling the team what is goin on, that was my second message , the first was 45 seconds prior. They had two dds and a Goliath in the cap and easily won. Keep in mind they were capping at or before 5 minutes into the game.

I get low tier play making mistakes but this was tier ten. After games like this the real question is why I subject myself to playing with people like this.

4RiudXZ.png

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

Members
111 posts
7,854 battles

It's as if toddlers were being allowed to play with the grown-ups PC's sometimes.

Wondering if there aren't more bots on NA server than before. Heard it's a real issue in Asia server.

Members
1,293 posts
7,142 battles

You have 18,000 battles. Why are you still surprised that the player base is generally quite awful? Most players don't pay any attention to the points and are unaware that there is a clock. How do you expect them to understand something as complex as the best way to play a game mode?

Also in their defense Standard Battle is an absolutely garbage game mode. 

Edited by Rocketpacman
  • Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

is this a rhetorical question?  :D    most players are spuds after all 

[O_O]
Members
38 posts
1,801 battles

Sounds like a tier 10 battle in wot.

Same crap.

People rush to tier 10 because there is where it's happening but it's not.

Unless you are really good.

• Cool 1

Members
1,293 posts
7,142 battles
1 minute ago, Battle_Cat_Cringer said:

Most players are unaware there's a clock at tier X? Don't know about points? I hope not, but who knows.

I have seen many dead players over many battles at Tier X screaming about the need to cap or get a kill when there is barely any time left on the clock and the team just needs to not die to win. I have seen them scream about their teammates running away when the surviving player or players have multiple caps ticking in their favor and will win the game if they just don't die. And remember these are the players who are dedicated enough to the game to stick around after they die and actually have some desire to win. Many (most?) players just don't care. This is a pew-pew ship arcade game to them. They barely think about it at all let alone think about how to win the match they're in. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,662 posts
14,743 battles

Standard Battle is really boring, has no short term objectives to fight over and generally degenerates into a camping competition. 

I don't have great expectations from it. 

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,420 posts
14,165 battles
8 minutes ago, mofton said:

Standard Battle is really boring, has no short term objectives to fight over and generally degenerates into a camping competition. 

I don't have great expectations from it. 

True but in the OP's screen shot the famed "let's secure a point that has no significance" is in operation from a failed lemming train.

Members
419 posts
24,006 battles

maybe they are sitting in a repub with 30 km guns and are waiting for the cls and dds to move up to get rid of or spot the invisible HE spamin smoley who is campin mid map...would be my guess...

Members
3,071 posts
15,906 battles

WG events, directives, collections, missions etc. are all about pushing players towards tier 10. The higher the tier the more likely players won't be able to have enough credits and will need to purchase premium time or ships. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. So here we are with most players who don't have a clue about game mechanics or tactics playing tier 10. 

[BB35]
[BB35]
Members
390 posts
11,043 battles

A lot of players seem to think if they hide long enough they'll win the game. Problem is, they might as well be dead because  their guns are out of action.

Sitting in the back row with the CV isnt going to win fights either.

I get irritated that people allow the other team to take caps. Then those people complain we are down on points.

Epicenter is the worst. People dont realize you got to stay in the rings to hold them.

And the worst. You have 2 caps a 300 point lead, 2 ships left with 30 seconds, and those two people charge the enemy like rambo to die in a hail of bullets... losing the game. 

• Cool 2

[CHBAY]
Beta Testers
552 posts
3,655 battles

It's an easier pill to swallow dealing with this kind of childishness in tier 5, when there's way less credits on the line.

[SALVO]
Members
4,406 posts
3,801 battles

Why is the Standard Game Mode So Hard for So Many Players?

Dude, Standard is the new setting for difficult... It all started with McDonald's relabeling "small" to "regular"

Edited by ArIskandir

Members
6,621 posts
20,628 battles

Maybe playing "kick the can" taught me not to leave the base unprotected. Didn't want my pain in the rear neighbors screaming olly olly oxen free.... and horse laughing at me.....

See the source image

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

hey look its my points brought up again, :)

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,729 posts
1 hour ago, Vector03 said:

Because WG actively encourages people to rush to tier 10 as fast as possible. Potatoes are good for the game, says WG.

One advantage of being a Co-op main is that one doesn't get to any tier fast... :Smile_hiding:

• Funny 3

Members
388 posts
2 hours ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

It boggles my mind that so many players game after game literally do the worst thing possible in this game mode. They get as far from both bases as possible, racing to the 1 and 10 lines....And push into an enemy stronghold. Even in games with a CV or two.

Every game I type.... play defense let them over extend and make mistakes... I know no one reads chat but I try, here is a tier ten game I just finished, In chat, you can see me telling the team what is goin on, that was my second message , the first was 45 seconds prior. They had two dds and a Goliath in the cap and easily won. Keep in mind they were capping at or before 5 minutes into the game.

I get low tier play making mistakes but this was tier ten. After games like this the real question is why I subject myself to playing with people like this.

4RiudXZ.png

WOW does not care about making the game better.  Aggressive play is not rewarded.  MM is 70-80% of a win or loss.  Each new premium ship, or ship class, makes the meta worse, and encourages camping.  A single CV dictates the game outcome far more than not.  It's the broken meta and WOW's perpetual idiocy in their game design philosophy as much as it is the players.

[LSNB]
Members
1,584 posts
4,409 battles

I certainly felt this impact when the Steam client was released and saw players with 500 battles driving Massachusetts. Also, with the pandemic and all the stress right now, people have turned to the game to kill time and vent their rage (there are threads where people complain about being TK'ed; one of my clanmates got TK'ed when he refused to go into a cap containing a Chapayev; some PR shot me when I bumped into her), so there are more casual players and frustrated play now.

Someone here said that WG, upon focusing more on monetization, had (in)advertently made the game cater more to casual players, especially with all the focus on random battles. While there are more casual players with little time invested than veteran players in pretty much every game, WG more or less does not seem to care about the players made the game successful in the first place and frequently contradicts the approach they seem to take. WG is a confusing mess for all the wrong reasons.

Edited by destawaits

[SIDE]
Members
4,673 posts
7 minutes ago, nhf said:

WOW does not care about making the game better.  Aggressive play is not rewarded.  MM is 70-80% of a win or loss.  Each new premium ship, or ship class, makes the meta worse, and encourages camping.  A single CV dictates the game outcome far more than not.  It's the broken meta and WOW's perpetual idiocy in their game design philosophy as much as it is the players.

What are you talking about? Other than stringing together lines from our favorite playbook "forum gripers greatest hits and other popular falsehoods", was there any point to your post? If you hate everything so much, have nothing constructive to say... do you still play and if not why are you here at all?

[USMC-]
Members
290 posts
8,072 battles

I have saved many a game by not getting too far from the base and reversing course to kill the enemy ship that tried to sneak in for the win.